kinesiology tape truly work for a shoulder or other joint?

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
See videos on this on youtube taping up an area.

Real deal or just something to blow our money on.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
See videos on this on youtube taping up an area.

Real deal or just something to blow our money on.
Worked for me on lower bicep Tendonitis. I'm going to try it this way for my supraspinatus Tendon this week and I'll let you know. So far though I believe.

https://youtu.be/pazXnYq4-SU

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I am thinking of it to immobilize my shoulder while I sleep. To avoid inner rotative movements.

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Real deal, in my experience. I have had issues with my achilles tendons for the last several years. Kinesiology tape definitely helps with that.

UnicornDrpns

UnicornDrpns

Awards
I've had my fair share of kinesiology tape due to extensive PT time on my knees . I've never noticed the tape helping me at all.perhaps that's just me though. The tape mad my job feel secure for about an hour but then it quickly loses its tension.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I bought and starting wearing the EVS SB03 shoulder brace. Used by motorcross folk. It works. Did heavy shoulder yesterday and wore it last night. Shoulder today is just a touch sore but not the usual excessive soreness.

VO2Maxima

VO2Maxima

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The research on kinesio tape (and other similar tapes) is not promising. In general, the studies that show positive outcomes with kinesio tape are generally case studies, pilot studies, or studies performed on healthy individuals. As far as benefits relating to pain and ROM, most studies seem to show that it is no better or only very minimally better than placebo.

My post count is too low to post links, but feel free to look into:
Parreira Pdo C, Costa Lda C, Hespanhol LC Jr, Lopes AD, Costa LO. Current evidence does not support the use of Kinesio Taping in clinical practice: a systematic review. J Physiother. 2014 Mar;60(1):31-9.
Kalron A1, Bar-Sela S. A systematic review of the effectiveness of Kinesio Taping--fact or fashion? Eur J Phys Rehabil Med. 2013 Oct;49(5):699-709. Epub 2013 Apr 5.
Lim EC, Tay MG. Kinesio taping in musculoskeletal pain and disability that lasts for more than 4 weeks: is it time to peel off the tape and throw it out with the sweat? A systematic review with meta-analysis focused on pain and also methods of tape application. Br J Sports Med. 2015 Dec;49(24):1558-66.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'll take minimally better than placebo over no benefit at all.

I've had my fair share of kinesiology tape due to extensive PT time on my knees . I've never noticed the tape helping me at all.perhaps that's just me though. The tape mad my job feel secure for about an hour but then it quickly loses its tension.
Yup, mine lose tension after about an hour. I'd say it's similar to my Bowtie in that it Stretches certain areas long enough to help in the warmup process. I just know days I wear them are > than days I don't.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It looked that way from seeing the youtube videos that tape tension would not last a night of re-positioning during sleep. The aforementioned brace does immobilize the shoulder although it does not provide the type of direct pressure to the injured area needed for rehab exercises.

Last edited:
RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It looked that way from seeing the youtube videos that tape tension would not last a night of re positioning during sleep. The aforementioned brace does immobilize the shoulder although it does not provide the type of direct pressure to the injured area.
I'm going to get that too, for the nights i roll onto the shoulder and it pinches my BT or ST

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I did chest, shoulders, tricep yesterday, slept with the brace on. This a.m. no pain which is not the usual previous experience when sleeping without the brace.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I did chest, shoulders, tricep yesterday, slept with the brace on. This a.m. no pain which is not the usual previous experience when sleeping without the brace.
Will you post a photo of you wearing it?

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Ok. I am not tech knowledgeable so bear with me.

Edit: I took some pics but they were blurry. probably due to the early a.m. darkness. Will try again at lunchtime when sun is out.

mn72661

Awards
The research on kinesio tape (and other similar tapes) is not promising. In general, the studies that show positive outcomes with kinesio tape are generally case studies, pilot studies, or studies performed on healthy individuals. As far as benefits relating to pain and ROM, most studies seem to show that it is no better or only very minimally better than placebo.

My post count is too low to post links, but feel free to look into:
Parreira Pdo C, Costa Lda C, Hespanhol LC Jr, Lopes AD, Costa LO. Current evidence does not support the use of Kinesio Taping in clinical practice: a systematic review. J Physiother. 2014 Mar;60(1):31-9.
Kalron A1, Bar-Sela S. A systematic review of the effectiveness of Kinesio Taping--fact or fashion? Eur J Phys Rehabil Med. 2013 Oct;49(5):699-709. Epub 2013 Apr 5.
Lim EC, Tay MG. Kinesio taping in musculoskeletal pain and disability that lasts for more than 4 weeks: is it time to peel off the tape and throw it out with the sweat? A systematic review with meta-analysis focused on pain and also methods of tape application. Br J Sports Med. 2015 Dec;49(24):1558-66.
In my experience it is an extremely useful tool. I can say it has reduced pain through decreasing certain movement restrictions and in that way has made a significant difference for me. However with that said, I suspect it is HIGHLY dependent on who is applying it. I've been fortunate enough to have an extremely knowledgeable and experienced PT do it for me. Like all new "fads" that pop up I feel like its really just another tool that has its place when applied correctly.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
In my experience it is an extremely useful tool. I can say it has reduced pain through decreasing certain movement restrictions and in that way has made a significant difference for me. However with that said, I suspect it is HIGHLY dependent on who is applying it. I've been fortunate enough to have an extremely knowledgeable and experienced PT do it for me. Like all new "fads" that pop up I feel like its really just another tool that has its place when applied correctly.
I noticed applying the tape properly is key and it is a two person operation- the applier and the applicant.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar