Suggestions for maintaining chest with rotator injury???

Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last
  1. Suggestions for maintaining chest with rotator injury???

What up everyone. I've been battling shoulder pain for what seems like years now. The pain radiates from the anterior of the shoulder joint mainly when flat pressing or any kind of external rotation movement. I've simply trained around the discomfort for too long now. Physical manipulation diagnosis tests always showed a strong and healthy shoulder but I pushed my doc for an MRI. It of course was inconclusive, but did indicate impingement syndrome or a tear of some sort. I declined the cortisone shot and will be scheduling an arthroscope ASAP. I know if impingement is the issue they can do an acromioplasty during the scope.

I haven't had the chance yet to speak to the doc about the scope. I was wondering what recovery from a simple shoulder scope is like in terms of time off work and healing and also the length of recovery for an acromioplasty? How about for a surgery to repair a serious tear? How bout recovery/rehab time for a minor tear that doesn't get surgery?

I also would like any input or experiences you guys may have with the recovery process. Were there any exercises anyone was able to do to prevent chest atrophy? Did you lose large amounts of muscle in the shoulder and chest or is it different than the atrophy from an immobile leg like during my ACL recovery. My leg was less than half its original size when that was done. Any insight at all is appreciated. I'm excited to get this fixed but apprehensive about the surgical/recovery process. Thanks.
    OLYMPUS LABS/OLYMPUS UK REP
    Use JEBROOK30 for 30% off at http://olympusuk.com/
    E-mail product questions to jebrook@olympus-labs.com

2. OLYMPUS LABS/OLYMPUS UK REP
    •   

3. Subbed for info. I'm still dealing with mine.

As for the scope, its a really small cut and you don't even have to be put under so recovery time is pretty short. They gave me that as one of my options also. I have a torn rotator cuff + impingement and instability.

4. I had some success relieving pain with BPC-157 but obviously not healing the shoulder completely. I think I will use BPC again after any procedures to expedite healing. Anybody have any experience with HGH for healing? I have access to pharmaceutical HGH.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Brandinooooo View Post
    Subbed for info. I'm still dealing with mine.

As for the scope, its a really small cut and you don't even have to be put under so recovery time is pretty short. They gave me that as one of my options also. I have a torn rotator cuff + impingement and instability.
    Sorry to hear that.
    That sucks but probably similar to what I have. Any surgical options or just time off and rehab?
    •   

6. Quote Originally Posted by Jebrook View Post
    Sorry to hear that.
    That sucks but probably similar to what I have. Any surgical options or just time off and rehab?
    Just the standard cuff surgery. They said 6 weeks recovery then 2 months PT. The scope is the better option imo.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Brandinooooo View Post
    Just the standard cuff surgery. They said 6 weeks recovery then 2 months PT. The scope is the better option imo.
    Did the scope help you any? Did they do any clean up while in there?

8. Quote Originally Posted by Jebrook View Post
    Did the scope help you any? Did they do any clean up while in there?
    I haven't done it yet. I'm hoping it will. The thing thats stopping me is, my tendons are a little too long and the shoulder dislocates easily. To fully repair it, they'd have to sever the tendon, cut a chunk off and reattach. Atleast 6 month recovery....

9. But lately, I restarted on all of my presses focusing on ROM. Especially on Shoulder Press. It's noticably tightened up the cuff and strengthened it. Not to where I'd say it still doesn't need to be fixed, but to the point where I can actually start moving back up on those exercises.

10. I didn't lift for 6 months so I didn't really maintain anything. Pretty much screwed me over.

11. I'm constantly working around some shoulder injury. Because i never learn my lesson. I still dont warm up enough and I'm always forgetting I'm not 20 anymore.
    Best thing I would say is get a day membership to one of them unholy newfangled purple gyms, where they have every machine ever. Try them till you find the ones that work without hurting you.

12. I carry my pain like a dog and just do my best to keep going, going easy if/when I have to.

My shoulder (ac ligament damage afaik) or my wrist or my knees/ankles blah blah always something. Lots of football, wrestling, snowbarding, backpacking/hiking, bike crashes, etc catching up with me I guess
    See supplement deals section here on AM for our latest sales!
    www.NUTRI-VERSE.com
    AM5 saves 5% storewide!

13. I don't think I'm going to be much help other than support here. Aside from my back which took me out for 5 months, I've never (knock on wood - head) had an injury. I always warm up, and have a sort of paranoia because so many of my former team mates have had issues due to our wreckless youthful days of adventure. I'm so fortunate after having jumped off of pretty much whatever I've seen... (Tuck and roll baby!)

I will tell you this, and don't think me crazy, but I believe in angels (I've seen them), and if I can send one your way to help you out. It's already been done my man. I'm not even religious either, so figure that out. I've often joked with my wife they are just watching me for the entertainment value alone, so I've got that going for me. As I said. One thing I do believe in, is the certainty of postiive thoughts of others, and if you want to call them prayers, it won't offend because you have some seriously positive feelings coming your way.

I met a doctor the other day at work and we just started talking, and as it turns out, he may be retired (74 yo) but he's fit, and knows about 50 other doctors in a ring of sorts whom he recommends. I will reach out to him for you and report back. It will give me a good reason to ring him up aside from him recommending a good endo for me. (I'm thinking TRT sooner rather than later). He's a good guy, and I was just asking the ether the other day for some clue because my current doctor is not my fave. And there it is.

Thank you for the mention and bringing me here by the way! (IN)
    VEIN NUTRITION - PREMIUM BODYBUILDING SUPPLEMENTS
    CLICK ME > VEIN NUTRITION : USE "JUST410" for 10% OFF
    IG: @VeinNutrition

14. I had a similar problem the last time I move my apartment. I tore my upper deltoid while I was in the best shape of my life could not lift my shoulder for 3 weeks. After realizing that this was a debilitating injury came to the conclusion that it would be best to take some time off from lifting I know it sounds ridiculous butt I took eight months off and it ended up being a full year of not lifting anything. I did put on a lot of weight but the pain and the injury healed itself lots of good eating and milk. I kept my protein intake the same as if I was lifting I lowered my calories and fats. I did a lot of stationary bike and walking it kind of sucked because at the time my son was 2 years old and he was clingy wanted to be picked up a lot and I would have to pick him up with my left arm only I couldn't even carry groceries or open a Simple door without screaming in pain. Nobody wants to hear taking a year off or even 6 months off but in reality none of these peptides are going to give you the same effect that good old-fashioned rest well. HGH may help you with a low dose of testosterone but I would not recommend taking off any less time than 6 months because these injuries can reignite themselves with the simplest interaction. Theres a blue gel that I used . A menthol pain reliever. This is one of those injuries that just takes and if you work a job that is physical you may want to reconsider at the time I was on patrol in my car pretty much all day driving around. I had to only drive with my left hand. I couldn't even get myself testosterone shots with my right hand. I wish you the best with this it's just an injury that nobody wants we will get through it. When it's a nerve issue it's hard for peptides like bpc or HGH to make a difference. ROM and things like Tai Chi will help a lot try to stay away from push-ups planking and things of that nature.

15. I have injured my shoulders a couple times over the years. One time I was out of commission for 6 months.

The recommendations I can make to you that have worked for me, to maintain chest mass despite injuries....

Do dumbell presses instead of barbell presses. DB all0w you to twist your wrists as you come down to take stress of shoulders.

Do all press excercies with a 10 degree to 30 degree incline (Flat bench puts more stress on the shoulders, as does 45 degrees or more)

Use hammer strength machines for incline press

Do cables instead of db flyes

Do incline push ups

Press a 45lbs plate at various angles to work on close grip and upper chest
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Rep

*This Space Available. Rep 4 Hire

16. Rest is the key with any injury. Also dosing ostarine at 25mg a day healed my nagging shoulder injury. Not healed 100% but 90% better.

17. I haven't specifically injured my shoulders in my lifetime, but tightness has been an extreme issue. I have found tennis ball pressure point release to be helpful. As far as maintaining mass, my best suggestion is to use exercises that irritate your shoulder the least. Have you looked at @lifted67 shoulder rehab guide? Extremely helpful. I can post the link when I get out of the gym. Getting ready to train

18. Nice input guys. Thanks. The chest and shoulders are my favorite body parts to train and chest is definitely my best attribute IMO. I just don't want to lose all the delopment due to atrophy but I will definitely take the recommended time off and start back slow when I do get things repaired. I'm going to schedule the procedure today and will update things in here. Keep the experiences and ideas coming!

19. Quote Originally Posted by vujade View Post
    I have injured my shoulders a couple times over the years. One time I was out of commission for 6 months.

The recommendations I can make to you that have worked for me, to maintain chest mass despite injuries....

Do dumbell presses instead of barbell presses. DB all0w you to twist your wrists as you come down to take stress of shoulders.

Do all press excercies with a 10 degree to 30 degree incline (Flat bench puts more stress on the shoulders, as does 45 degrees or more)

Use hammer strength machines for incline press

Do cables instead of db flyes

Do incline push ups

Press a 45lbs plate at various angles to work on close grip and upper chest
    All of these ^^^^ (having recovered/recovering from shoulder reconstruction, not just rotator cuff).
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/281831-sparkss-journey-recovery.html

20. Quote Originally Posted by Brandinooooo View Post
    depends on many factors. I am still "recovering" from mine (to a small degree), and that was roughly 2 years ago now. But the scope is needed. MRI and physical tests are worthless IMO (based on my personal experience)

Quote Originally Posted by ChocolateClen View Post
    I didn't lift for 6 months so I didn't really maintain anything. Pretty much screwed me over.
    This ^^^ depending on your age and the injury, there are varying degreed of rotate cuff injury, from partial tear to full dissection. Some may heal on their own, others will only heal from surgery.
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/281831-sparkss-journey-recovery.html

21. Quote Originally Posted by Jebrook View Post
    Nice input guys. Thanks. The chest and shoulders are my favorite body parts to train and chest is definitely my best attribute IMO. I just don't want to lose all the delopment due to atrophy but I will definitely take the recommended time off and start back slow when I do get things repaired. I'm going to schedule the procedure today and will update things in here. Keep the experiences and ideas coming!
    There will be at least several weeks where no exercise (outside of PT) will be advisable. Even with the great tips that @vujade provided you will not be able to safely do those right away (and those are great tips, and what I use today to be able to lift). I would highly recommend letting your PT therapist guide you in what exercises are OK and when. It is their job to get you back healthy and "operational" and they are the best resource for what/when. broscience or anecdotal feedback is no substitute for medical advice, especially not in this instance. Just remember, and they will make you sign a form acknowledging this before the surgery, the surgery is no guarantee and they will tell you that more surgery may be needed later, if this one does not "take".

22. Quote Originally Posted by Sparkss View Post
    There will be at least several weeks where no exercise (outside of PT) will be advisable. Even with the great tips that @vujade provided you will not be able to safely do those right away (and those are great tips, and what I use today to be able to lift). I would highly recommend letting your PT therapist guide you in what exercises are OK and when. It is their job to get you back healthy and "operational" and they are the best resource for what/when. broscience or anecdotal feedback is no substitute for medical advice, especially not in this instance. Just remember, and they will make you sign a form acknowledging this before the surgery, the surgery is no guarantee and they will tell you that more surgery may be needed later, if this one does not "take".
    Yessir, I agree. I've had an ACL graft and recovered very well and quickly with the help of a great physical therapist and following the surgeon's orders. I'm mainly looking to hear others' experiences with recovery. For instance, how long it took each person, how much training capacity they recovered, and what things they found benefitted their individual recovery. I'm not looking to be diagnosed or prescribed treatment. And I take everything with a grain of salt.

23. For the efficacy of an MRI or physical "strength tests", I had all of that done and it all indicated, at most, a minor tear. The surgery was scheduled to run for 60 ~ 90 minutes. After the surgeon got inside he saw a significant amount more damage than had been indicated in any of the evaluation methods. The surgery ran for 3:45, well over twice as long as was originally planned. I ended up with 9 laparoscopic entry points (although I can only find 7 now) and several screws in my shoulder blade/muscle (to re-attach everything). When I asked the surgeon, in a post-op evaluation appointment, how we will know if the muscle re-attached, he just said "if the pain goes away, then most likely it is healed". I already knew an MRI was useless (and expensive). He said getting scoped was the only way to really tell and that scope procedure "was not the level of care my insurance would cover". So, yea, the scope is the only way to go to truly evaluate your injury.

As I mentioned the only way to heal a full bisected tear (where the muscle detached from the bone) is surgery. From everything I read and everything the surgeon told me the muscle will not re-attach itself. And most rotator cuff tears are really separations at the connecting point to the bone. The exercises they do for partial tear (separation) do not heal the tear, they are just designed to strengthen the remaining attached muscle to "carry the load".

I suspect that you already know all of this, but am sharing it in case anyone else following along considers falling into the trap of the online scams to "fix a torn rotator cuff".

24. Quote Originally Posted by Sparkss View Post
    For the efficacy of an MRI or physical "strength tests", I had all of that done and it all indicated, at most, a minor tear. The surgery was scheduled to run for 60 ~ 90 minutes. After the surgeon got inside he saw a significant amount more damage than had been indicated in any of the evaluation methods. The surgery ran for 3:45, well over twice as long as was originally planned. I ended up with 9 laparoscopic entry points (although I can only find 7 now) and several screws in my shoulder blade/muscle (to re-attach everything). When I asked the surgeon, in a post-op evaluation appointment, how we will know if the muscle re-attached, he just said "if the pain goes away, then most likely it is healed". I already knew an MRI was useless (and expensive). He said getting scoped was the only way to really tell and that scope procedure "was not the level of care my insurance would cover". So, yea, the scope is the only way to go to truly evaluate your injury.

As I mentioned the only way to heal a full bisected tear (where the muscle detached from the bone) is surgery. From everything I read and everything the surgeon told me the muscle will not re-attach itself. And most rotator cuff tears are really separations at the connecting point to the bone. The exercises they do for partial tear (separation) do not heal the tear, they are just designed to strengthen the remaining attached muscle to "carry the load".

I suspect that you already know all of this, but am sharing it in case anyone else following along considers falling into the trap of the online scams to "fix a torn rotator cuff".
    Naw this is good real life info @Sparkss and what I'm looking for. That does make me apprehensive because I've had pain for 2 years honestly and just stubbornly trained around it. Still, fingers crossed for a minor injury and good prognosis. Time will tell.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Ostarine for maintaining muscle after injury
    By daniel9955 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-22-2015, 08:03 PM
  2. Training programs for people with back injuries.
    By AdelV in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-26-2012, 01:38 PM
  3. Chest exercises with shoulder injury
    By mjswss57 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-05-2010, 09:15 PM
  4. suggestions for a chest/tri day?
    By allstar504448 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 04-15-2009, 10:56 AM
  5. Suggestions for helping with a crashed solution