Knee popping ever squat

• Thread starter Deleted member 238667
  • Start date

Deleted member 238667

Hey guys, not sure if this is in the right place or not.

My right knee makes an audible pop every time I squat right when it goes past 90 degrees on the way down. It's done this as long as I remember, no matter how long I take off between workouts. I started doing a squat every day training method, and it's starting to be a little painful.

Any advice?

Brandaddy

Brandaddy

Awards
Do you wear sleeves? My knees like to crack and pop a lot and used to give me discomfort during squats.

I don't know exactly what changed it, but I started making sure I ride the bike for 5 mins before squatting, I also make sure I do some LIGHT stretching and some warmup sets. I usually start with the bar, then 135, 225, 315. Then I'll proceed to put on my belt and sleeves before my first working set and by then I'm always good to go.

Deleted member 238667

That's way more than I squat. I'm a semi-beginner. I've been lifting as a hobby for a few years but I started taking it more seriously.

I don't use sleeves. But it pops even if I'm just using the bar.

Brandaddy

Brandaddy

Awards
That's way more than I squat. I'm a semi-beginner. I've been lifting as a hobby for a few years but I started taking it more seriously.

I don't use sleeves. But it pops even if I'm just using the bar.
My knees pop also with just the bar. Just take time to make sure you warmup properly and watch some videos on how to squat. I recommend mark bells channel on youtube, a lot of good stuff on there for how to squat, bench, and deadlift.

At the end of the day, your knees might still hurt no matter what. I can always push past pain and get through a workout. Doesn't mean it feels good. Ha. Talk to 90% of people who can squat 405+ and they'll tell you squats hurt their knees too. It's a great exercise though and instead of skipping it, try to find ways to make it tolerable.

I.E. warming up the muscles properly, mobility training, knee sleeves, etc.

j4ever41

Awards
why? so he should keep doing what is causing pain? you think if he stops short of 90 degrees that is going to hurt quad development? there is not one movement out there that if it is causing you pain you should just keep doing or doing it the same way, so again why is it awful advice? of course he should make sure he is adequately warmed up, that should go with out saying.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
why? so he should keep doing what is causing pain? you think if he stops short of 90 degrees that is going to hurt quad development? there is not one movement out there that if it is causing you pain you should just keep doing or doing it the same way, so again why is it awful advice? of course he should make sure he is adequately warmed up, that should go with out saying.
Well, the squat isn't a quad exercise so that's a start. Stopping short is a great way to shorten your hip flexors and quads. Guess what those usually cause? Knee pain. Without seeing the dude actually squat, it's a shot in the dark. Most knee pain on squat is cause by bad technique and not the weight.

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I've got crap knees and they pop a lot too. What is helping me is knee sleeves and more recently I found out my IT band is super tight. Started working stretches specific into that and am having decreasing pain with the squat. Google IT band stretches and give em a shot. Knee sleeves a must too IMHO

Brandaddy

Brandaddy

Awards
I've got crap knees and they pop a lot too. What is helping me is knee sleeves and more recently I found out my IT band is super tight. Started working stretches specific into that and am having decreasing pain with the squat. Google IT band stretches and give em a shot. Knee sleeves a must too IMHO
FUC*KIN A right man. Exactly what I'm saying. Most pain in compound lifts are due to a lack of mobility. Also, support great like knee sleeves and a belt can take s gut from feeling like an 80 year old man after a set to feeling like a 20 year old boy.

j4ever41

Awards
Well, the squat isn't a quad exercise so that's a start. Stopping short is a great way to shorten your hip flexors and quads. Guess what those usually cause? Knee pain. Without seeing the dude actually squat, it's a shot in the dark. Most knee pain on squat is cause by bad technique and not the weight.
if squat does not work the quadriceps what does it work? of course the glutes and hams as well, it is totally ok to stop at 90 and even a little short of that, he had popping without pain, now with pain, I just don't see it as so important to keep breaking 90, if he thinks it is that important he can keep it up, ignore the pain and check back in on this thread in a year and let us know how it is working out for him,if after a few years of lifting and someone has not figured out the importance of warming up, and having a good stretching routine, oh well

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
if squat does not work the quadriceps what does it work? of course the glutes and hams as well, it is totally ok to stop at 90 and even a little short of that, he had popping without pain, now with pain, I just don't see it as so important to keep breaking 90, if he thinks it is that important he can keep it up, ignore the pain and check back in on this thread in a year and let us know how it is working out for him,if after a few years of lifting and someone has not figured out the importance of warming up, and having a good stretching routine, oh well
If you can't see the problem with reducing the ROM to a partial, then there's nothing I can add.

j4ever41

Awards
If you can't see the problem with reducing the ROM to a partial, then there's nothing I can add.
i squatted and did not break below 90 for 20 + years, i have had no problems from it, as many others do and have done the same.

love2liftkat

love2liftkat

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
OP, I agree with the guys talking about mobility and knee sleeves. I have a few suggestions...
1 Do some research on mobility drills, rolling, and stretching for squats.

2. Warm up and get blood flowing into your knees by riding a stationary bike for 10-15 mins before squatting. You can even increase the resistance to warm up your muscles.

3. Get some knee sleeves even if there light and not competition grade. They will help keep your knees warm.

4. Take a good solid joint supplement and fish oil.

rtmilburn

rtmilburn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
i squatted and did not break below 90 for 20 + years, i have had no problems from it, as many others do and have done the same.
You are so ignorant, its causing arrogance.

Just because you dont have knee pain doesnt mean that it wont be different for others. Rodja points are all accurate, with nemerous of evidence proving this.

If you under stood how the muscle in the legs work you would also get it. Matter of fact there has been numerous of studies proving this the case as well!!!

I also want to add another thing is that when you stop at 90 on a squat, instead of the very bottom, guess what is taking full force of that weight, when you transfer your momentum back up?? Its your tendons, ligaments and bones (also and obviously muscle but that irrelevant here). Wheras going all the way to the bottom you dont have the force of stopping it and moving it back up. You just of the force of the back up, revlieving them of that excess force.

j4ever41

Awards
You are so ignorant, its causing arrogance.

Just because you dont have knee pain doesnt mean that it wont be different for others. Rodja points are all accurate, with nemerous of evidence proving this.

If you under stood how the muscle in the legs work you would also get it. Matter of fact there has been numerous of studies proving this the case as well!!!

I also want to add another thing is that when you stop at 90 on a squat, instead of the very bottom, guess what is taking full force of that weight, when you transfer your momentum back up?? Its your tendons, ligaments and bones (also and obviously muscle but that irrelevant here). Wheras going all the way to the bottom you dont have the force of stopping it and moving it back up. You just of the force of the back up, revlieving them of that excess force.
if you and rodja think it is so important for the op to keep deep squatting, maybe you 2 should offer some advice to him, and worry less about insulting me, he is the one having new on-set of knee pain when he breaks 90, like I said I did not break 90 for many years, and many others have done the same, so my study was in application, after you been deep squatting for 20 + years we can see how you knees are doing.

rtmilburn

rtmilburn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
if you and rodja think it is so important for the op to keep deep squatting, maybe you 2 should offer some advice to him, and worry less about insulting me, he is the one having new on-set of knee pain when he breaks 90, like I said I did not break 90 for many years, and many others have done the same, so my study was in application, after you been deep squatting for 20 + years we can see how you knees are doing.
Been lifting almsot 10 im sure rodja has been doing it for atleast double that and i know he doesnt have issues and i dont. I do have shoulders injuries from football. And if you are willing to throw away science for 1 experience then you are verry arrogant. Also rodja has given advice. I will also add op keep heels on ground, neutral stances, feet slightly pointed out, and force knees as far outwards as you can without causing hip discomfort, keep a straight back.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I did offer advice, but you missed that. I'm 15 years into training and my knees have zero restrictions. The only time they ever get any sort of pain is when I get ankle dysfunction. Knee pain is the result of something else being off in the chain. It's the loudspeaker and not the sound.

j4ever41

Awards
Been lifting almsot 10 im sure rodja has been doing it for atleast double that and i know he doesnt have issues and i dont. I do have shoulders injuries from football. And if you are willing to throw away science for 1 experience then you are verry arrogant. Also rodja has given advice. I will also add op keep heels on ground, neutral stances, feet slightly pointed out, and force knees as far outwards as you can without causing hip discomfort, keep a straight back.
usually when someone is claiming its their way or the highway, they are the arrogant 1, im not totally throwing anything out, but just because someone does not break 90 is not a guarantee that they are going to have knee issues, what percentage of people stopping at 90 have knee issues? what percentage going atg have knee issues? as far as the op if he is intent on breaking 90, he should make sure he is warmed up properly, work on his flexibility, that means having a program for it and not just stretching a couple mins before he trains, try different widths with his stance, positioning of feet, when is he breaking at the hips, do not let knees extend to far out, high bar or low bar, how tall is the op? after he does everything he can do and still has pain when breaking 90, then what should he do?

j4ever41

Awards
I did offer advice, but you missed that. I'm 15 years into training and my knees have zero restrictions. The only time they ever get any sort of pain is when I get ankle dysfunction. Knee pain is the result of something else being off in the chain. It's the loudspeaker and not the sound.
I saw you ask a question, he answered, that was it

j4ever41

Awards

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
As I said, without footage nobody has any idea what is going on and saying to stop when you have no clue what his squat looks like makes no sense. If it hurts to touch your chest on bench, you don't start cutting it short; you figure why it's happening.

j4ever41

Awards
As I said, without footage nobody has any idea what is going on and saying to stop when you have no clue what his squat looks like makes no sense. If it hurts to touch your chest on bench, you don't start cutting it short; you figure why it's happening.
Makes no sense to who? YOU??................................ LOL, im just messing with ya man, I hear what you are saying, actually you are right, who knows what his form looks like, cheers!

ryane87

ryane87

Awards
  • Established
Maybe you aren't actually squatting....

Frequency

Frequency

Awards
  • Established
As it has been repeated partials are not the answer because it doesnt address the issue. My knees pop and get sore when my quads get tight. Squat form and bar position will dictate what the muscles are dominant during the movement. What helped me was stretching my quads and switching to a wide stance squat. Riding the bar lower on the back sould also reduce emphasis on your quads which may help with your knee problem. Wont be immediate but its what has helped balance me out.

Deleted member 238667

As it has been repeated partials are not the answer because it doesnt address the issue. My knees pop and get sore when my quads get tight. Squat form and bar position will dictate what the muscles are dominant during the movement. What helped me was stretching my quads and switching to a wide stance squat. Riding the bar lower on the back sould also reduce emphasis on your quads which may help with your knee problem. Wont be immediate but its what has helped balance me out.
Honestly when I think about it, my legs are very tight. I can't even touch my toes because my hamstrings are too tight. You're probably right.

Frequency

Frequency

Awards
  • Established
Yeah i was the same way. When things are tight like that they are putting tension on other things. One stretch for my quads that helped my knees a ton is where you sit on your knees and lean your body back as far as you can go. Makes you realize how tight your quads really are real quick lol.

Deleted member 238667

I will try this tomorrow. But you have potentially solved that problem. Thank you so much. Repped