Knee pain needing explaining

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
I've been experiencing some pain in my right knee the past week or so along the outer edge dipping down to the bottom edge of the area. I sought some advice and was told I just need to stretch the ligaments in my knee.

It doesn't hurt when I squat, but when I get on the ground and put pressure on it. It's a dull, radiating pain and it feels like my knee is trying to rip through the skin. Is this something serious I need to fix now?

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Sounds like pressure on a piece of torn meniscus to me

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Did the advice come from a Doctor?

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
Sounds like pressure on a piece of torn meniscus to me
I've never had a serious injury before, but is that something that'll heal on its own or needs surgery?

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I've never had a serious injury before, but is that something that'll heal on its own or needs surgery?
Depends on the severity and location of the tear as some zones have a possibility of healing better but and this is a BIG butt, the meniscus has poor blood flow already. Really makes time and rest obsolete and often surgery is the answer to remove or repair the tear if possible. Repairs take a ling time and the rehab is about the length of an ACL or more simply because it take forever to heal due to the blood supply. Its cartilage and once its gone its gone. There are some replacements that last a few years but im sure your probably not a candidate for that.

My guess it will nag you long enough that you get sick and tired of it, Dr. will send you to therapy for 4 weeks before ordering an MRI, if there is a tear it will show up there, if not that or another soft tissue injury then it will appear as well. I say just be smart and dont push it too much but going to the Dr. is a great place for more info.

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
Depends on the severity and location of the tear as some zones have a possibility of healing better but and this is a BIG butt, the meniscus has poor blood flow already. Really makes time and rest obsolete and often surgery is the answer to remove or repair the tear if possible. Repairs take a ling time and the rehab is about the length of an ACL or more simply because it take forever to heal due to the blood supply. Its cartilage and once its gone its gone. There are some replacements that last a few years but im sure your probably not a candidate for that.

My guess it will nag you long enough that you get sick and tired of it, Dr. will send you to therapy for 4 weeks before ordering an MRI, if there is a tear it will show up there, if not that or another soft tissue injury then it will appear as well. I say just be smart and dont push it too much but going to the Dr. is a great place for more info.
Thanks man. I haven't had time to go recently, but I will make an appt for this upcoming week.

PeteRyde

PeteRyde

Awards
Be interested in the outcome as I have a similar issue. I couldn't kneel properly with it. Mine eased off after using anti inflammatory cream on it for about 3 months. Definitely not cured but very manageable now. Still have to use anti inflammatory cream though.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

I had something similar a few months back. It last about 3 months. I could squat 400+ and never felt it, but a body weight squat or standing wrong hurt like hell.

I did the above (and still do them occasionally now to prevent it) and after a while it went away.

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established

I had something similar a few months back. It last about 3 months. I could squat 400+ and never felt it, but a body weight squat or standing wrong hurt like hell.

I did the above (and still do them occasionally now to prevent it) and after a while it went away.
Yeah I asked my dad who said he had the same kind of pain and he mentioned using a foam roller and rolling it out, but I'll definitely do that too.

Edit: Is the guy in the photo using a lacrosse ball?

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
Update: rolled out my thigh and found I have a knot or painful spot about the size of my fist in my right thigh. It did help a lot. I even dicked around on it to try and simulate the pain again and was unable to do so. So I'm going to start rolling out my thigh 2 times a day.