I fractured my 5th metacarpal. Healing and protection?

ybg

Awards
Unfortunately i fractured my 5th metacarpal. I started feeling pain at the base of the pinky finger last Thursday and it got worse during the weekend when i got it checked. It's really hard to see it in the x rays and i didn't even notice when it happened.

Now i stopped lifting (except from some light leg and abs work) until it heals.

When i start lifting again what should i use as a means to protect it?

I thought of this product by myprotein.co.uk: MYPROTEIN HEAVY-DUTY PADDED LIFTING GRIPS

http://www.myprotein.com/sports/sports/1-pair-of-heavy-duty-lifting-grips/10837118.html

Is there anything similar or better for the purpose i need it?

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
This happened to me at the beginning of the year (fractured 5th metacarpal). I signed up for something i couldnt back out of so i continued to lift through it (including bench and overhead press) with the axle bar vs regular powerbar.

You should really only have to take ~3 weeks completely off from pressing or anything that puts direct pressure over the base of the pinky. Buy a splint that will keep the bone properly aligned during healing (mine is currently bowed almost like a low angled "V"). Id just wear that splint while i lifted lower body on machines maybe even squat if you have a safety squat bar or cambered bar. You could do those, gms, and whatever machines you wanted.

Reactions: ybg