Contest prep and surgery-opinions needed!

Kool4445

Kool4445

Awards
What's up guys!
So last week I was getting some pain from my hip to groin...turns out to be a inguinal hernia. I'm currently in prep mode and was looking at some shows that are about 16-20 weeks out.

I know this surgery is going to set me back but any idea how long? Is a show still doable? And the biggest question of them all.....should I still be dieting during the recovery? I mean, I can't lift weights and can only do slow cardio. Wouldn't that just catabolic?

My goal is to get back into lifting very light weights with high rep, 1 week after surgery. Anyone gone through this surgery?

PaulBlack

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Well, I was hesitant on this, since I cannot give you any concrete info on healing times and training/diet etc. etc.
I had a rt inguinal repair 12-15 years ago. Done with mesh and it was invasive, so I had a 3-4 inch incision in my lower abdomen. I was off lifting for at least a month I think and longer on heavy stuff. It has not affected my heavy lifting in the long term.
Invasive surgery, can of course take longer to heal than laparoscopic surgery, which is much less cutting.
All that said, your doctor, is most likely going to know your healing abilities and times and how much you can do to get back into some sort of flow. He/she will undoubtedly do a few follow up check ups on your repair and then release you for whatever activities you can perform.