Back pain on upright row

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
I've been doing upright rows in my workout, but it seems like whenever I creep up to 25/30 lb dumbbells there's a spot between my spine and shoulder blade that seems to "bow up" as I raise the Dumbbells and radiates pain until a day afterwards. Is it just something as simple as taking a lacrosse ball and massaging it or is it something else?

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
If something hurts, stop doing it. Upright rows are one of those movements with far more risk than reward. Much better movements that can be done. Just my bitter 2 cents

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
If something hurts, stop doing it. Upright rows are one of those movements with far more risk than reward. Much better movements that can be done. Just my bitter 2 cents
Ahh gotcha. I didn't realize it was one of those moves. I'll find some alternatives to doing that then.

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Google upright rows and "bad".

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Ahh gotcha. I didn't realize it was one of those moves. I'll find some alternatives to doing that then.
I've been injured (or further progressed an injury) from doing them in the past, which was why I said I'm bitter about them.

I think it's safer to do them on a cable machine with the triceps pulldown rope though, but they can still cause issues because of the internal rotation it causes.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I stay away from upright rowing based on other people's pain from doing them. No thanks.

sparks2012

sparks2012

Awards
I rarely do them anymore, and if I do, it's with cables. Not a huge fan of them, never really got much delt activation from them either.

WAF

WAF

Awards
I've been doing upright rows in my workout, but it seems like whenever I creep up to 25/30 lb dumbbells there's a spot between my spine and shoulder blade that seems to "bow up" as I raise the Dumbbells and radiates pain until a day afterwards. Is it just something as simple as taking a lacrosse ball and massaging it or is it something else?
Do you get lower back pain? If so it could be weak back erectors. I do this excerise all the time with 70 Db's and no issues ever, and get good results with shoulder and trap development.

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
I do have lower back pain (it feels like they've been working overtime for what feels like 5 hours straight and no break), but that's from work and bending over to pick things up or move them while bent over never from a workout.

sparks2012

sparks2012

Awards
I do have lower back pain (it feels like they've been working overtime for what feels like 5 hours straight and no break), but that's from work and bending over to pick things up or move them while bent over never from a workout.
Does your lower back get tight when you stand or walk for period of time? I've experienced what you're talking about, but it went away after I worked on tightening up my posterior chain. The dude who asked about your spinal erectors has a good point.

sparks2012

sparks2012

Awards
Do you get lower back pain? If so it could be weak back erectors. I do this excerise all the time with 70 Db's and no issues ever, and get good results with shoulder and trap development.
I've never really got much delt activation from these, more so in my traps. I may not be executing the movement right. Any queues you use to not impinge the shoulders and keep stress on the heads rather than the joint?

WAF

WAF

Awards
Hows your back when you squat? I would suggest trying to strengthen your erectors, as it will definetly help and as improves overall body strength. Also what i did was become more robotic at meaning instead of just bending over keep you core tight and kinda squat it out. It's tedious but will help and elevate the constant strain.

Also sparks2012 and MistrJay try to lean forward a bit with the upright rows you will be able to feel it in you delts(rear) and also traps. rather then any acitvation in your back. but lock your self in ie keep your core tight. If doing it withe a straight bar hand position is crucial as once you start your movement your stuck with it. Using db's is easier and safer IMO.

All to their own on their thoughts on this excersice ROM is a big factor as too many go way to high. I never do them with a rope it feels weird more of a joint movement depending on how you hold the rope. Everyone has strong points and weak points as everyones body has different leverages and structure. if trying variations on a movement and pain still progresses stop and evaluate exactly what the issues which takes time.

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
Does your lower back get tight when you stand or walk for period of time? I've experienced what you're talking about, but it went away after I worked on tightening up my posterior chain. The dude who asked about your spinal erectors has a good point.
Yeah it turns me from 21 to an 80 year old real quick. WAF sparks2012 best/your favorite exercises to work on posterior chain without using equipment?

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
Hows your back when you squat? I would suggest trying to strengthen your erectors, as it will definetly help and as improves overall body strength. Also what i did was become more robotic at meaning instead of just bending over keep you core tight and kinda squat it out. It's tedious but will help and elevate the constant strain.

Also sparks2012 and MistrJay try to lean forward a bit with the upright rows you will be able to feel it in you delts(rear) and also traps. rather then any acitvation in your back. but lock your self in ie keep your core tight. If doing it withe a straight bar hand position is crucial as once you start your movement your stuck with it. Using db's is easier and safer IMO.

All to their own on their thoughts on this excersice ROM is a big factor as too many go way to high. I never do them with a rope it feels weird more of a joint movement depending on how you hold the rope. Everyone has strong points and weak points as everyones body has different leverages and structure. if trying variations on a movement and pain still progresses stop and evaluate exactly what the issues which takes time.
My back feels fine until I get to the end of the set, but I'm also super convinced I have a sh*tty squat form. I use/used a soloflex (like an 80's version of the smith machine I guess) and I feel like it doesn't help me to get the right form.

Off topic question: I high bar squat and wanted to switch to low bar squatting, is this an easy transition or is it pretty rigorous feat to attempt for a novice?

WAF

WAF

Awards
Yeah it turns me from 21 to an 80 year old real quick. WAF sparks2012 best/your favorite exercises to work on posterior chain without using equipment?
My back feels fine until I get to the end of the set, but I'm also super convinced I have a sh*tty squat form. I use/used a soloflex (like an 80's version of the smith machine I guess) and I feel like it doesn't help me to get the right form.

Off topic question: I high bar squat and wanted to switch to low bar squatting, is this an easy transition or is it pretty rigorous feat to attempt for a novice?
When you say equipment are you referring dumb bells also? After my ACL/MCL tear i high squatted and had lower back pain like i was running a bunch of t-bol. Switched to low bar and i have no more pain, everyone is differents as i have a lil bit of a sway back and i think its just the angle that's been affecting it.

You can do hyper extension to help and if you want a lil more resistance use some bands. Another thing that help me was straight legged deadlifts.

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
When you say equipment are you referring dumb bells also? After my ACL/MCL tear i high squatted and had lower back pain like i was running a bunch of t-bol. Switched to low bar and i have no more pain, everyone is differents as i have a lil bit of a sway back and i think its just the angle that's been affecting it.

You can do hyper extension to help and if you want a lil more resistance use some bands. Another thing that help me was straight legged deadlifts.
No no I have dumbbells, I just don't have barbells and free weights. I'll pick up some bands and try those. Favorite brand of bands or are they all basically the same across the board?

sparks2012

sparks2012

Awards

Not too sure what you mean by equipment, either. GHR's and hypers are good, like WAF said you can use bands to add resistance. Also a smith is IMO a bad way to learn to squat. The bar travels on a fixed plane, and your body mechanics more than likely don't match those of a smith. As for high bar transitioning to low bar, I traditionally use high bar, but have used low bar just to experiment. Low bar moves the load closer to your centre of gravity, which translates to more stability with more weight. Aside from getting the correct bar position for a low bar, and relearning how to squat outside of a smith, it should be a relatively easy change to make if you're a "novice".

sparks2012

sparks2012

Awards
No no I have dumbbells, I just don't have barbells and free weights. I'll pick up some bands and try those. Favorite brand of bands or are they all basically the same across the board?
West side barbell for powerlifting style bands, and there's a brand called real steel or something like that, that is better used for mobility and slowly adding resistance to an exercise.

WAF

WAF

Awards
I agree with sparks2012 with all especially squating with a smith machine. Personally I used it only because of my acl/mcl tear at the time as it helped me strengthen them up without putting too much stress on it. Once I was able to squat a quarter each side I switched to barbell. Now with high bar and low is concerned for me went I went high bar I started leaning forward too much and that's what was stressing my back also was was putting too much stress on my knee. You mentioned your 21 and do construction well I can tell you 2 solid pieces of advice bro coming from 15 years in the trades and a bunch of years as a labourer. The faster you get you lower back strengthened the longer you will be working same in life it's a keystone that a lot on people including myself over looked when I was longer. That being said the other thing is take is slow and steady you can easily over work the muscles and can earn you a day off work or possiblibly injuries. Key is not going heavy and gradually build up slowly. Remember your using it all the time in everything you do. Very crucial part IMO. Good luck with everything we're here to help.

Just curious sparks2012 are you an electrician? The name hit me thinking.

sparks2012

sparks2012

Awards
I agree with sparks2012 with all especially squating with a smith machine. Personally I used it only because of my acl/mcl tear at the time as it helped me strengthen them up without putting too much stress on it. Once I was able to squat a quarter each side I switched to barbell. Now with high bar and low is concerned for me went I went high bar I started leaning forward too much and that's what was stressing my back also was was putting too much stress on my knee. You mentioned your 21 and do construction well I can tell you 2 solid pieces of advice bro coming from 15 years in the trades and a bunch of years as a labourer. The faster you get you lower back strengthened the longer you will be working same in life it's a keystone that a lot on people including myself over looked when I was longer. That being said the other thing is take is slow and steady you can easily over work the muscles and can earn you a day off work or possiblibly injuries. Key is not going heavy and gradually build up slowly. Remember your using it all the time in everything you do. Very crucial part IMO. Good luck with everything we're here to help.

Just curious sparks2012 are you an electrician? The name hit me thinking.
lol nah man, Sparks is my last name. And, MistrJay, WAF is right about taking it slow and building up your back to keep it strong. I've worked in less than ideal conditions for my back and I've paid for it. Overworking led to injury, and so on and so forth. Keep at it, and gradually make yourself better. Relearning the squat is going to take time, so don't get discouraged if it takes a little bit to do so.

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
Not too sure what you mean by equipment, either. GHR's and hypers are good, like WAF said you can use bands to add resistance. Also a smith is IMO a bad way to learn to squat. The bar travels on a fixed plane, and your body mechanics more than likely don't match those of a smith. As for high bar transitioning to low bar, I traditionally use high bar, but have used low bar just to experiment. Low bar moves the load closer to your centre of gravity, which translates to more stability with more weight. Aside from getting the correct bar position for a low bar, and relearning how to squat outside of a smith, it should be a relatively easy change to make if you're a "novice".

The reason why I asked about no equipment is because I only have access to Dumbbells 4 days a week and didn't want to have to lug around Dumbbells the other 3 days a week. Haha.

sparks2012

sparks2012

Awards
The reason why I asked about no equipment is because I only have access to Dumbbells 4 days a week and didn't want to have to lug around Dumbbells the other 3 days a week. Haha.
Fair enough. KB swings are a viable option too. Easier to lug around 1 KB than it is a rack of DB's lol. I want to start incorporating these into my routine. If you're familiar with Matt Wenning, he's a huge supporter of using KB swings to breakdown where weaknesses are in the body, as well as using them to build up those weaknesses.

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
Fair enough. KB swings are a viable option too. Easier to lug around 1 KB than it is a rack of DB's lol. I want to start incorporating these into my routine. If you're familiar with Matt Wenning, he's a huge supporter of using KB swings to breakdown where weaknesses are in the body, as well as using them to build up those weaknesses.
Perfect. I can put that dusty kettle bell to good use finally. Haha. Thanks again man and WAF

sparks2012

sparks2012

Awards
Perfect. I can put that dusty kettle bell to good use finally. Haha. Thanks again man and WAF
Let me know how this works out for you, like I said I'd like to incorporate these into my routine but not sure how I should do it (Warmup, cool down, standalone exercise, assistance movement, aerobic endurance). From what I've seen/read, it could be classified into any one of those. Just finding where it fits for me is tough.

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
Let me know how this works out for you, like I said I'd like to incorporate these into my routine but not sure how I should do it (Warmup, cool down, standalone exercise, assistance movement, aerobic endurance). From what I've seen/read, it could be classified into any one of those. Just finding where it fits for me is tough.
Will do man. I'll probably file it under assistance movement for me. Try and work on that squat so I can try the Conjugate Method here soon.

DavidJl

Awards
You should give rest to your shoulder and try to avoid power loading. And I’m sure you will be alright in a couple of days. After the recover do not hurry up to come back to the training.