Shoulder pain (front)

bigrobbierob

bigrobbierob

Awards
  • Established
Hey guys. I know "not medical advice yadda yadda yadda"

A few weeks ago the front of my right shoulder started aching and it hasn't got any better.

It gets bad enough at night (especially if I end up on that side) that I wake up. Sometimes that arm is numb and I need to "shake it off". Sometimes while lifting even my right elbow area will hurt. If I bench or do push-ups the shoulder pops.

I'm thinking I may have rotator irritation.

So rest it and ibuprofen? How long should I rest it? I don't want to get in the habit of NOT working out.

HardB0iled

HardB0iled

Awards
  • Established
Question... Does it hurt less under heavy load (when maintaining tension in shoulder) than light load (when shoulder is more relaxed)?

bigrobbierob

bigrobbierob

Awards
  • Established
I never paid attention but I'd have to say yes. The two times it bugs me most are trying to sleep and after work. Work itself doesn't bug me but afterwords it does. Same with workouts...ok during workouts (except for popping) but afterwards it aches like crazy.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What are you doing for shoulder mobility, and when?

bigrobbierob

bigrobbierob

Awards
  • Established
I dont understand the question register jr.

Hardboiled, did you have an idea what might be wrong with my shoulder.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Whether you do anything for your shoulder pre, intra, post, or whenever to prevent injury. It sounds like the answer is no, which is why you are having issues.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
This is what I do before every bench/press session, and I do shoulderok work throughout the week.

https://youtu.be/txrvbXmqbcY

If you aren't preventing shoulder issues, they are going to come up. I'd recommend no free weight pressing for a minimum of a week, maybe two, to heal whatever has happened while you look into some shoulder/RC mobility. I had this same feeling you describe and the above video, plus mace swings, and laying on an incline bench stretching the pec/shoulder with bar only has prevented anything from coming back.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Oh, I do these too. Gets my shoulders, traps, and lays warmed up for pressing your shoulders into the pad on bench.

https://youtu.be/SrykKsK4CHM

bigrobbierob

bigrobbierob

Awards
  • Established
I stretch whatever area I'm working that day pre workout.

HIM

HIM

Awards
I have to agree with the others. Do some shoulder stretches after a light warm up, take some time off going heavy to let it heal, double check your form using light weight, and when you go back to lifting cut back on the weight a little.
My guess is your form is off and your going too heavy which is aggravating your shoulder. At least that's what has always caused this problem for me.

jaces

jaces

Awards
do you have ''winging'' of the scapula??(stands out more than usual)

sparks2012

sparks2012

Awards
Prehab and mobility work are keys here. I've had a grade 2 AC separation in my right shoulder, and had issues in my left due to an imbalance from the injury sustained to my right. Both of these issues recur if I don't keep at mobility work. Hitting the posterior delt hard helps too because it keeps the anterior head from "rolling/pulling" the shoulder joint forward. I've recently started using bands throughout the day and do shoulder dislocations and a face pull style movement to keep rear delts engaged. I've spent a lot of time researching the injuries, ways to fix them, and ways to prevent them. What's worked for me is backing off on the weight and using Dumbbells and hammer strength machines (if your gym has them) for all chest work. Kept weight low and volume higher. I have no formal medical training or certifications, but I've spent a couple years working on my own injuries and researching them. Feel free to ask if you have any other questions.