Bicep tendinitis help ideas ?

getbig1974

Awards
Ok so original thought might have a tear at rotor cuff but after MRI nothing so I have bicep tendinitis. This is seriously killing my training I can only go to about 80% weight and range of motion is killing me and so is constant nagging pain. So I've to a few guys and they tell me either lay off and this will take 6 months or so to heal or workout and it will heal within a year or longer. So I decided to workout and let heal longer as you know I'm very ocd so it impossible for me to look at the wall for 6 months riding s bicycle or treadmill
So I was wondering who has the same problem and what have they don't to treat it while training exercises or advice to help heal while training ? Even any drug ideas HgH ect. Thanks

compan

compan

Awards
I have/had tendinitis in my bicep tendon. Rest will do great for you, but I know what you're talking about with not doing anything. The one thing that worked the best for me was therapeutic massage. It hurt like hell, but she went in there and worked some stuff around for about 30 minutes. I rested my shoulder for 2 days after and it made a huge improvement from the massage. Another good thing would be some light band tension rehab exercises. You should be able to find plenty online and youtube.

smith_69

smith_69

Awards
I have/had tendinitis in my bicep tendon. Rest will do great for you, but I know what you're talking about with not doing anything. The one thing that worked the best for me was therapeutic massage. It hurt like hell, but she went in there and worked some stuff around for about 30 minutes. I rested my shoulder for 2 days after and it made a huge improvement from the massage. Another good thing would be some light band tension rehab exercises. You should be able to find plenty online and youtube.

Compan hit this on the head- this is one of these injuries that no magic pill will heal. Time and rest-

getbig1974

Awards
So I was going to try either TB500 or HgH I can get both is it worth bothering with the TB500? Funny it's gonna cost me over $600 for a course of TB so why not just get the GH right ?

physique4days

physique4days

Awards
I'm actually going through this right now with the tendinitis. It hit me real bad a couple years ago to. But only when I would go heavy BB curls. Now it came back from going heavy DB curls. Last time I just worked through it everyday and it randomly left after a month or 3 weeks

GamutofFear

Awards
Ok so original thought might have a tear at rotor cuff but after MRI nothing so I have bicep tendinitis. This is seriously killing my training I can only go to about 80% weight and range of motion is killing me and so is constant nagging pain. So I've to a few guys and they tell me either lay off and this will take 6 months or so to heal or workout and it will heal within a year or longer. So I decided to workout and let heal longer as you know I'm very ocd so it impossible for me to look at the wall for 6 months riding s bicycle or treadmill
So I was wondering who has the same problem and what have they don't to treat it while training exercises or advice to help heal while training ? Even any drug ideas HgH ect. Thanks
First things first..
Are you sure it's bicep tendonitis? An MRI will not diagnose an impingement.
Shoulder impingement can be often confused with bicep tendonitis due to the radial nerve being affected by the impingement.

Pinch that nerve thay goes from your traps through your shoulder and down your arm and it can cause bicep tendonitis like pain. Causing tingles and sharp pain. Imagine the feeling of pulling the skin off of a rabbit. Basically feeling that stringy sensation.
If it's an impingement. ..it can completely go away.

If you're sure that it's bicep tendonitis first do some rehab

Then I suggest doing what "feels" good. Baby the heck out of it and stay away from movements that aggravate it and drop curls/bicep isolation completely

Instead. ..opt for chin ups, pull ups, rows, and other compound movements to build your biceps. Rely on the biceps being a secondary mover /synergist. I've trained with guys who have had bicep tendonitis and this works best without aggravation.

If you're rowing 315 for reps with proper form, it's pretty much impossible to have small arms.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm going to resurrect this thread because i have bicep tendinitis. I'll share what my doctor said, what I found on my own, and what works/aggregates it as I heal.

smith_69

smith_69

Awards
I'm going to resurrect this thread because i have bicep tendinitis. I'll share what my doctor said, what I found on my own, and what works/aggregates it as I heal.
please do because as i have posted on my epi log, i am having some issues and this is something i havent had before

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I found this online and it's similar to what my doc told me.

Rehabilitation Program

Physical Therapy

The initial goals of the acute phase of treatment for bicipital tendinitis are to reduce inflammation and swelling. Patients should restrict over-the-shoulder movements, reaching, and lifting.

Patients should apply ice to the affected area for 10-15 minutes, 2-3 times per day for the first 48 hours. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), such as ibuprofen, are used for 3-4 weeks to treat inflammation and pain. The degree of immobilization depends upon the degree of the injury and the patient's discomfort. Most authors agree that prolonged immobilization tends to result in a stiff shoulder.

Physical therapy plays a minor role in the treatment of acute bicipital tendinitis; however, some authors recommend daily weighted, pendulum stretch exercises for uncomplicated and mild cases of acute bicipital tendinitis. Use of transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS) has been reported with some success.

Phonophoresis and iontophoresis are examples of methods that are used to deliver steroids into inflamed tissue without an injection. Phonophoresis uses ultrasound, whereas iontophoresis uses electrical repulsion to transport medicines through the skin. In order to deliver an effective steroid concentration, the target area should be superficial, and serial application is necessary.

---------

My doc said rest, 800mg ibuprofen BID for 3 weeks no matter what, and ice the shoulder 15 min BID.

The above paragraphs made me look into rehab options, so naturally i went to youtube:....

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
smith_69

smith_69

Awards
I found this online and it's similar to what my doc told me.

Rehabilitation Program

Physical Therapy

The initial goals of the acute phase of treatment for bicipital tendinitis are to reduce inflammation and swelling. Patients should restrict over-the-shoulder movements, reaching, and lifting.

Patients should apply ice to the affected area for 10-15 minutes, 2-3 times per day for the first 48 hours. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), such as ibuprofen, are used for 3-4 weeks to treat inflammation and pain. The degree of immobilization depends upon the degree of the injury and the patient's discomfort. Most authors agree that prolonged immobilization tends to result in a stiff shoulder.

Physical therapy plays a minor role in the treatment of acute bicipital tendinitis; however, some authors recommend daily weighted, pendulum stretch exercises for uncomplicated and mild cases of acute bicipital tendinitis. Use of transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS) has been reported with some success.

Phonophoresis and iontophoresis are examples of methods that are used to deliver steroids into inflamed tissue without an injection. Phonophoresis uses ultrasound, whereas iontophoresis uses electrical repulsion to transport medicines through the skin. In order to deliver an effective steroid concentration, the target area should be superficial, and serial application is necessary.

---------

My doc said rest, 800mg ibuprofen BID for 3 weeks no matter what, and ice the shoulder 15 min BID.

The above paragraphs made me look into rehab options, so naturally i went to youtube:....
instead of the 800 of Ib, he didnt mention Naproxen?

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Also, my doc said no curls at all. At least two of those physical therapy videos recommends banded Curls and lots of stretches.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
smith_69 ^^^

smith_69

smith_69

Awards
Have you noticed any help with Naproxen?
yes it helped with back issues, but big difference is the release of the product
IB is faster and Nap is slower, but worked better for me with the pain

was popping ib all day

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Id see if your doc will prescribe you any Voltaren topical gel, Reg. Id personally rather use that over popping ibuprofen like pez.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
yes it helped with back issues, but big difference is the release of the product
IB is faster and Nap is slower, but worked better for me with the pain

was popping ib all day
I don't pop them all day, just once in the AM and once in the PM. The pain isn't that bad to me BUT i'm not doing much with the arm.

Id see if your doc will prescribe you any Voltaren topical gel, Reg. Id personally rather use that over popping ibuprofen like pez.
Is that also for inflammation or pain?he said the point was to bring the inflammation down,

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I did a better job of not sleeping on my left shoulder last night. I prop a pillow under my shoulder so that it isn't easy to roll onto it.

I'm doing PVC rotations now. I'll ice on my ride into work, at lunch, and the ride home (if i can get help wrapping it).

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I don't pop them all day, just once in the AM and once in the PM. The pain isn't that bad to me BUT i'm not doing much with the arm.

Is that also for inflammation or pain?he said the point was to bring the inflammation down,
Its a topical anti-inflammatory gel. I think its diclofenac iirc.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Very informative on why you have bicep tendinitis. I'll check his follow up videos he discussed in the video. This is a must watch.

https://youtu.be/dHPEzjF6Qnw

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Dr. said depends on the degree of the injury which an MRI can detect. From 4 weeks to 8 weeks off heavy or up to surgery and 1year off heavy weights.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Dr. said depends on the degree of the injury which an MRI can detect. From 4 weeks to 8 weeks off heavy or up to surgery and 1year off heavy weights.
No cortisone option? Everything I've read has suggested that surgery is no bueno. I think I'd deal with the pain before surgery UNLESS there is a legitimate tear.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Colleague at the gym had surgery. Out for year. He recovered completey. He is about age 35.

Depends on the severity is what I understood. My Dr. does not like cortisone. Dr, orthopedic surgeon, did also indicate even if a non-surgery injury healed one might experience flashes of pain for up to a year later.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Colleague at the gym had surgery. Out for year. He recovered completey. He is about age 35.

Depends on the severity is what I understood. My Dr. does not like cortisone. Dr, orthopedic surgeon, did also indicate even if a non-surgery injury healed one might experience flashes of pain for up to a year later.
I wouldn't say that my pain is at an unbearable level. Uncomfortable and annoying for sure. A year off at 35 for me would be damaging. I think I'd find it hard to RE-motivate.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Have 5mm bicep tendon tear myself. That is a 10% tear and considered moderate. 2-3 months out of heavy. At 50% of current weight now to be safe. Just counting down the days and focusing on other areas.

No NSAIDs for me. Do rehab exercises. Does not effect pushing movements, only pulling.

Everyone and nearly every injury is different in my opinion.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Not much relief for me. I haven't rehabbed much but ive also rested quite a bit. I may ask for a cortisone shot this week.

toddmuelheim

toddmuelheim

Awards
  • Established
Biofreeze helped me

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
smith_69

smith_69

Awards
toddmuelheim

toddmuelheim

Awards
  • Established
When did you apply it? Did you stop any lifts or add any rehab?
About 20 or so mins before workout. I had to stop direct arm training for weeks, on multiple occasions, because even 5lbs in a curl motion or press down would be painful. I haven't had issues in months since starting it. This stuff has been a game changer for me.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
About 20 or so mins before workout. I had to stop direct arm training for weeks, on multiple occasions, because even 5lbs in a curl motion or press down would be painful. I haven't had issues in months since starting it. This stuff has been a game changer for me.
That's odd that just the biofreeze would cure it. It's worth a shot though.

toddmuelheim

toddmuelheim

Awards
  • Established
That's odd that just the biofreeze would cure it. It's worth a shot though.
Just to clarify, it didn't cure anything, but it masks it during my workout so I can actually get through it. I've been fortunate so far that the tendinitis hasn't bothered me after it wears off. It's like 10-15 bucks on Amazon so def worth a shot.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just to clarify, it didn't cure anything, but it masks it during my workout so I can actually get through it. I've been fortunate so far that the tendinitis hasn't bothered me after it wears off. It's like 10-15 bucks on Amazon so def worth a shot.
It's helped me other issues so I'll order some more and check it out. Thanks.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ok, so Biofreeze > Max Freeze and Naproxen > Ibuprofen, for me. I'm at a point where the mobility is helping.

Also helping is laying down and have someone dig into my tendon with their body weight.

toddmuelheim

toddmuelheim

Awards
  • Established
Ok, so Biofreeze > Max Freeze and Naproxen > Ibuprofen, for me. I'm at a point where the mobility is helping.

Also helping is laying down and have someone dig into my tendon with their body weight.
The bio freeze is helping? Really glad to hear...I'm terrified of the day where it stops working for me but the guy at the gym who told me about it has been using it for years and hasn't had any issues and he's an older guy too.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The bio freeze is helping? Really glad to hear...I'm terrified of the day where it stops working for me but the guy at the gym who told me about it has been using it for years and hasn't had any issues and he's an older guy too.
It is helping. I bought the roll on because that's what I used for other stuff years ago but my wife forced me to also get the pump cream. The cream is so much more effective.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
More aleve this morning and more rehab this afternoon. I'm sensing a huge improvement. The trigger test of putting my forearms parallel with the floor with the arm at a 90° while pulling towards my shoulder against resistance from the other arm feels waaaaay better than it did originally, and even better than a week ago.

Another massage scheduled for Thursday. The upside of the massage is that even though there are effective things I can do to break up the scar tissue (my fingers, lacrosse ball) the masseuse will dig in there without knowing my pain limits. So she's spending more time on it at greater force than I would naturally do myself.

toddmuelheim

toddmuelheim

Awards
  • Established
It is helping. I bought the roll on because that's what I used for other stuff years ago but my wife forced me to also get the pump cream. The cream is so much more effective.
Wow really? I have the roll on and that's all I've tried...guess I'm buying the pump next

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Wow really? I have the roll on and that's all I've tried...guess I'm buying the pump next
I was working for a pain management clinic when Biofreeze first came out. I had that roll on bottle for almost 20 years and I'd swear it was stronger than the roll on I have now. I wish I still had it to compare but I just used it up last year.

Oh yeah, lotion is stronger. Maybe that's because it applies thicker or the ingredients don't separate as much?

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I had a massage last Thursday and she spent a little time on my bicep tendon. I can't remember if I shared this because I wanted to make sure it made a difference. It did, for a few days at least. Well today I had another and when I showed up she was really excited, telling me she spent the week looking up how to treat the issue. I lucked out with her.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Im still maintaining the mobility work. It definitely helps preworkout, and even loosening me up.

I'm able to lower the squat bar some as i widen my grip and don't feel any pain. Currently the bar sits a couple inches down my traps. Still pretty dang highly for me.

All that said, it hurst today more than it has in several days. I laid on it quite a bit the last two nights. That may be a huge triggger for me. I need to maneuver the pillow better to keep me from rolling on my side.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Returned to 80% of pre-injury weight on the pulling exercises. Lat pulldown and curls most affected.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Returned to 80% of pre-injury weight on the pulling exercises. Lat pulldown and curls most affected.
I haven't noticed any pulldowns pain since starting the Stretches. That sucks.

I meant to post an update here this morning.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Bicep Tendonitis almost 100% gone due to the Stretches and stuff I posted.

Unfortunately, my supraspinatus tendon, the one tied to rotator cuff injury, is now hurt. I assume the extra stretch and focus on the bicep tendon without doing RC mobility may have caused this.

I'll start a new thread for that and start identifying how to eliminate that one, too.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Bicep Tendonitis almost 100% gone due to the Stretches and stuff I posted.

Unfortunately, my supraspinatus tendon, the one tied to rotator cuff injury, is now hurt. I assume the extra stretch and focus on the bicep tendon without doing RC mobility may have caused this.

I'll start a new thread for that and start identifying how to eliminate that one, too.
mine is a tear near the elbow. inside the elbow about where blood is usually drawn when donating blood

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
mine is a tear near the elbow. inside the elbow about where blood is usually drawn when donating blood
Ah. I had pain there, not a tear, and it lingered for almost a year.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established