Shoulder dislocation experiences?

metaphysical

Awards
Hi all. I'm 20 years old, 5' 5'', 130lbs.

4 years ago I had a traumatic left shoulder dislocation. It left nerve damage and significant scare tissue behind. I've been affected by it very much. My shoulder has re-dislocated 10+ times since the first time.

I thank god that I didn't hit my head , etc... But it is still depressing because I feel very weak and my range of motion is terrible. Also I've developed arthritis which is disheartening at such a young age.

I used to have great definition and a six pack but I have lost all muscle because every time I go to work out it dislocates. I can't do lateral pull down and I can only very lightly do bench.

Also no pull ups. I'm basically limited to cardio and light free weights.

I'm just looking for some inspiration and others to relate to.

I've debated having surgery for a long time.

Please share your experiences with injuries, specifically shoulder injuries.

brownjacob59

Awards
I had the same thing from a football injury, but after the second dislocation I chose to have the surgery and am happy I did.

metaphysical

Awards
I had the same thing from a football injury, but after the second dislocation I chose to have the surgery and am happy I did.
Did you have the arthroscopic bankhart repair?

Did you lose range of motion?

How long was rehab?

How do you feel now compared to before surgery?

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I had a slap tear repair after multiple dislocations of my shoulder. Rehab was long but very worth it. I'm better now than I was before it, especially learning a ton of small strengthening exercises during rehab. I had a very large tear of the labrum requiring 4 anchors

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Was in a sling for about two months, working very slowly to get range of motion back, that whole time in the sling I was immobilized

brownjacob59

Awards
Did you have the arthroscopic bankhart repair?

Did you lose range of motion?

How long was rehab?

How do you feel now compared to before surgery?
Yes, and recovery was long but worth it. Only major problem was muscle imbalance that I'm still working toward fixing. Rehab was about 8 months but you can still do more than you think. Would recommend the surgery in the long run if you want to seriously lift ever again.

metaphysical

Awards
Yes, and recovery was long but worth it. Only major problem was muscle imbalance that I'm still working toward fixing. Rehab was about 8 months but you can still do more than you think. Would recommend the surgery in the long run if you want to seriously lift ever again.
Good to hear. Thanks for sharing your experience.

I am not a professional bodybuilder or athlete, but I did exercise avidly for recreation. And I'd like to get back into it again. Plus if I can avoid further arthritis caused from more dislocations that would be nice.

I'm going to contact my doctor and discuss surgery sometime in the near future. I understand that shoulder surgery has come a long way, even in the last 5 years or so.

brownjacob59

Awards
Good to hear. Thanks for sharing your experience.

I am not a professional bodybuilder or athlete, but I did exercise avidly for recreation. And I'd like to get back into it again. Plus if I can avoid further arthritis caused from more dislocations that would be nice.

I'm going to contact my doctor and discuss surgery sometime in the near future. I understand that shoulder surgery has come a long way, even in the last 5 years or so.
I'm glad I did it as soon as I did it. Best of luck.