IT Bands are killing me

Quil

Quil

Awards
  • Established
Since I got serious about squatting, I've developed pretty intense pain in the IT bands on both legs. I've never had any associated knee pain at all...it's confined exclusively to the IT bands, and is in the same place on each leg...roughly mid point. Usually when I squat, I get pain in the bands when I'm warming up and it will eventually go away. Later that day, though...it's excruciating to stand up from a seated position or go up and down stairs.

I've used a foam roller with decent success. I try to go slow and pause on areas of intense pain, letting the muscle relax. But it seems like no matter what amount of rolling or stretching I do, I just can't shake it completely. Even when I take significant time off, it still seems to be present.

Any advice or suggestions you guys might have on stretches or anything would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Jm88888

Jm88888

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Are you a runner that is beginning weights?

Quil

Quil

Awards
  • Established
No, not at all. Although I do quite a bit of running, I've been lifting for years. When I say that I got serious about squatting, I meant that I started following a 5x5 routine with strict form going to at least 90 degrees for months on end. It was until I got up over 300lbs or so for 5x5 that I started to have IT band issues.

I've done deadlifts, cleans, leg press, etc for years with no issues.

Jm88888

Jm88888

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Running my bands got really bad... That steady state running crushes the it bands, in some people... My toes go in a bit when I run, I've read that puts a lot of pressure on the outer knee area. If you are still running, I would make a decision on what activity is more important. Prob gonna go have troubles trying for both.

Jm88888

Jm88888

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Are you going to just parallel? Or past parallel? Try going a bit past parallel, really takes a lot of the stress off knees and onto hams and glutes. May help

Quil

Quil

Awards
  • Established
Well I would hate to have to do that. Guess it might be a possibility.

Quil

Quil

Awards
  • Established
Are you going to just parallel? Or past parallel? Try going a bit past parallel, really takes a lot of the stress off knees and onto hams and glutes. May help
Probably right at parallel. Maybe a bit lower. Not ATG by any means, but I'm not half-squatting either.

Jm88888

Jm88888

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Just getting right below parallel was a big difference for me. I was going to parallel then just started going to below by a small fraction. Video tape yourself to see.

Jm88888

Jm88888

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Well I would hate to have to do that. Guess it might be a possibility.
Yep. I hated it. But all that energy has gone to weights... But that runner high is something special.

Jm88888

Jm88888

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I would lay off running and do some it band work. Maybe widen squat stance a bit and open the toes. Might take some heat off the outer part of knee.

Quil

Quil

Awards
  • Established
The amount of running I'm doing now is low. I work it in as a sort of WOD on cardio day where I will run 1/4 mile on a track, then stop and do sets of pullups, pushups, etc. My total mileage per week right now is probably not any more than 3 miles. It has been substantially more in the past, though.

Unfortunately, if I have to give up either it will be the squatting. I have to maintain a fit standard for my job, and I just plain like running more.

deepseajs

deepseajs

Awards
  • Established
Same thing happened to me man when I actually started hitting 90 and squatting 3 times a week. I used the foam roller every day, started doing yoga a few times a week, and made sure I did proper warm ups/stretches before going heavy and ITB stretches in between lifts. Pain went away after a few weeks.
Just listen to your body, if it's too much pain stop.

Quil

Quil

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the advice. Any suggestions on the stretches?

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
look into those shoe inserts for the shoes you wear during the day. I wear boots during the day, and without inserts because of how my feet shift when I walk, my IT hurts like hell while working out. With inserts, no pain whatsoever. And I don't need the inserts while I work out.

I feel your pain man.

Quil

Quil

Awards
  • Established
look into those shoe inserts for the shoes you wear during the day. I wear boots during the day, and without inserts because of how my feet shift when I walk, my IT hurts like hell while working out. With inserts, no pain whatsoever. And I don't need the inserts while I work out.

I feel your pain man.
Will check them out. Thanks.

kjetil1234

kjetil1234

Awards
If you tried foam rolling of the tensor fascia lata, to no help, then it's probably weak. Try strengthening the TFL and I'm sure you'll see changes.
I often find people having a weak TFL in my clinic.