long head bicep pain at shoulder and upper bicep treatments?

jimbo63

Awards
I have had an arthroscopic "clean out" of my right shoulder a few months ago. Already had the left shoulder done a few years back with perfect results; no pain no limitations. However, the right shoulder is not the same at all. Had the surgery beginning of July 2015 and haven't lifted any weights until this week. Going light, sets of 12-15 reps. Shoulder and upper bicep hurt. If i apply pressure on top of shoulder where bicep tendon goes into the shoulder it is tender/sore still. I am concerned about the bicep maybe getting injured now maybe??? Don't want my orthopedic dr. doing any bicep tenetomy due to the possible of deformity. I have used ice and had some cortisone shots 10 weeks ago. Don't think the shots are gonna work again. I don't want to stop bodybuilding even though I am now 52 years old. I have no other joint problems and this is very discouraging. Not sure what I should try next so any suggestions or similar injury info from you guys would be greatly appreciated. Like I said, I don't want to give up lifting weights because of this and that is what my dr. is prolly gonna tell me. Thanx for reading my post and I hope to hear some feedback............Jimbo63

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Maybe do lots of shoulder mobility for a few weeks and see if the shoulder/bicep strengthen before lifting?

Blackgoat

Awards
First off I am no doctor, but you might want to look into some myofacial tissue release techniques. Sounds like you may have micro tears of the soft tissue in there. It worked well as a therapy for my lifters elbow and I've even had similar pain in the area you've described. You may be trying to do too much without the proper recovery techniques. I think we've all been there but you also have to realize that area has had previous trauma that may not have completely healed yet. Do a search on myofacial tissue release techniques, and (of course) consult with a professional about it... Hope I was able to help... It takes longer for ligaments and tendons to recover due to less blood flow to those particular areas as opposed to say, muscle tissue.

jimbo63

Awards
Ok, thank you I will check on that technique. I have been "kneading" the tendon right where it goes into the shoulder and it is tender with pain. After doing that a few times today it is alot more sore and tender. The shoulder itself seems very decent. It is just the bicep long head insertion that is giving me alot of problems. Does DMSO and deep massage at the tendon help that at all? Even putting weight/pressure on that spot on the shoulder (standing calf raise machine/standing squat machine) hurts. Just wondering what I can do to help with the healing. Seems like it might be not healing well even without doing absolutely any weightlifting, lol. I hate to call my Dr. cauz all he says is to forget about lifting weights anymore; not the answer I really want to hear or accept as fact! I appreciate your advice/info friend, Jimbo63