ACL Reconstruction 5 Years Ago

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Anyone else tear an ACL or anything else in the knee? Are you back to full capacity yet? I had a hamstring graft 5 years ago but it still hurts every so often. Last week I must've done something to it but not sure what and it hurt so back for 5 days I had to bring the brace back out.

LocoGato

LocoGato

Awards
I torn my ACL and meniscus almost three years to the day. Used my patellar tendon, not hamstring.

I'm back to full capacity now, just lack a little size I never gained back from the atrophy. But my strength is almost identical to my good leg.

I'm able to ski, wakeboard and I play basketball all the time without any limitations. But occasionally I'll break up some scar tissue causing my knee to swell up and become stiff. This might last a week or two until the swelling subsidies.
When I first started to lift again after my surgery, I was having to break down scar tissue each leg workout. Then lift legs again until the swelling decreased. It was an endless cycle for about a year which I got really tired of.

Hopefully you just broke up some scar tissue. Does your knee hurt or your hamstring?

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
It's my knee right below the knee cap where I believe the ACL is. My hamstring is fine. But fear causes me to avoid squats regularly even though my deadlift is unaffected. The past 2 weeks I've made myself do squats, but only worked up to 225 lol.

Epolis13

Epolis13

Awards
I tore all 4 ligaments in my knee when I was 18, which was abut 15 years ago. Had them all replaced with cadaver ligaments, but I used my patellar tendon to replace my ACL. I squat heavier than I ever did when I was in college and I have had no issues with pain or ROM. I never had issues with it after about 1-2 years post-op. If it persists, I'd go back to the doctor.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Tore my ACL/MCL/LCL and meniscus when i was 18. Hamstring graft for mine.

Almost ten years ago!

Training is back to full capacity, has been for 5-7 years. Some days it bothers me, not usually. Dorsiflexion is stiff on my right side, and my knee tracks different than my left

Jebrook

Jebrook

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Torn Meniscus. Full ACL rupture and multiple ligament tears. Used patellar tendon as well to graft back together. Was released to full physical activity in 4 months. Began increased resistance training. Exactly 2 years after injury I was able to beat my pre-injury squat PR of 455 with 475. Deadlift has never been the same but still working on it. Still minor stiffness occasionally but very rarely anything that limits training.

NattyForLife

NattyForLife

Awards
Tore my ACL/MCL/LCL and meniscus when i was 18. Hamstring graft for mine.

Almost ten years ago!

Training is back to full capacity, has been for 5-7 years. Some days it bothers me, not usually. Dorsiflexion is stiff on my right side, and my knee tracks different than my left
Do some gastroc stretches, and that will help your dorsiflexion issue! Try them on a slant board or doorway!

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Do some gastroc stretches, and that will help your dorsiflexion issue! Try them on a slant board or doorway!
Been stretching/mashing/flossing and rolling my right calf, ankle and heel for a while. It's something I'll do probably for the rest of my life.

Thanks tho

infinitepower

infinitepower

Awards
Anyone else tear an ACL or anything else in the knee? Are you back to full capacity yet? I had a hamstring graft 5 years ago but it still hurts every so often. Last week I must've done something to it but not sure what and it hurt so back for 5 days I had to bring the brace back out.
Lateral meniscus and complete acl tear repaired with allograft about 5 years ago. My knee is solid, i think its better post injury than pre injury if you can imagine that

Epolis13

Epolis13

Awards
Been stretching/mashing/flossing and rolling my right calf, ankle and heel for a while. It's something I'll do probably for the rest of my life.

Thanks tho
I'm in the same boat as you. My right side (the side that was reconstructed) acts very differently and has impacted my movement patterns. I do PT for my ankles every damn day. Sigh.

Jebrook

Jebrook

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Lateral meniscus and complete acl tear repaired with allograft about 5 years ago. My knee is solid, i think its better post injury than pre injury if you can imagine that
Mine is the same way. The old knee is the one that gives troubles now. The new one is tight and strong. Imagine that's what a car with bad alignment is like. Lol. 100,000 left on the new knee. Old one is running on threads;)

JZT

JZT

Awards
Hey man I tore my acl coming up on 4 years ago. I had the hamstring graft done and I was full capacity 10 months out playing football. I've never had any problems whatsoever playing football running track lifting heavily and rucking with up to 60 pounds on my back.

rone89

Awards
Hey guys I've torn my ACL 5 weeks ago, felt the dreaded pop but only had minimal swelling and no bruising, getting a hamstring graft on Wednesday, all the rehab I research doesn't really say how quickly I'll get back to squatting/deadlifting, guess I'm just curious as to everyone's timeline?

Jebrook

Jebrook

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hey guys I've torn my ACL 5 weeks ago, felt the dreaded pop but only had minimal swelling and no bruising, getting a hamstring graft on Wednesday, all the rehab I research doesn't really say how quickly I'll get back to squatting/deadlifting, guess I'm just curious as to everyone's timeline?
About 1-2 months for me to start light exercises again if I recall. 3-4 months to be released to full physical activity. I was full on back to 100% strength in about 8 months or so. I had a patella graft rather than a hamstring graft. I do believe the hamstring graft can make recovery take a little longer if I recall which is why I opted for the patellar graft over the hamstring or a cadaver tendon.

rone89

Awards
So 3-4 months to lift.. I'm guessing I might be longer due to hamstring.
Thanks mate