Smashed Big Toe

HandsomeHans

Awards
So I dropped a 70 pound barbell on my big toe last night. As soon as I dropped it, I knew I was screwed. I hobbled over to a chair and noticed that blood was seeping through my shoe. My buddy took me to the emergency room, and after a few hours, the doc told me I broke my toe into several pieces. Looks like I'll be hobbling around on crutches for a few weeks.

So my question is, has anybody dealt with this? Were you able to work out? Any tips or advice?

Thanks!

BeastFitness

BeastFitness

Banned
Awards
My advice would be take a week off, assess the pain, and see if you can still do some upper body work that WONT aggravate your toe. Remember, issue with casts are its not the best idea to sweat heavy while they're on.

BigRed1974

BigRed1974

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Broke my big toe earlier this year, good thing is they usually heal up pretty quick. Just avoid anything that aggravates it. Concentrate on upper body for a week or so then slowly add back in some lower body movements.

HandsomeHans

Awards
My advice would be take a week off, assess the pain, and see if you can still do some upper body work that WONT aggravate your toe. Remember, issue with casts are its not the best idea to sweat heavy while they're on.
Good idea, not sense in jumping back in and stalling the toe from healing.

HandsomeHans

Awards
Broke my big toe earlier this year, good thing is they usually heal up pretty quick. Just avoid anything that aggravates it. Concentrate on upper body for a week or so then slowly add back in some lower body movements.
How long did it take yours to heal? Thanks for the advice.

BigRed1974

BigRed1974

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
How long did it take yours to heal? Thanks for the advice.
Probably 2 weeks where it didn't really bother me anymore but that first week it was very uncomfortable.

cheeky1

cheeky1

Awards
  • Established
OUCH!! That's going to hurt like a b*tch for awhile.

Tip 1) wear a sock to bed as you will hit the roof if you catch it in the sheet when you turn over. Make sure you have a non-stick surgical pad on first if it hasn't been splinted/cast.

Tip 2) DON'T kick anything! I know that sounds like dumb advice, but believe me, not only will it hurt it will slow the healing time. Injuries like this seem to be a freakin magnet for dogs, clumsy people, dropped tools & the corner of every bench & piece of furniture you come across.

Tip 3) Boost your circulation to your feet. Keep it warm; eat more antioxidants, anti-inflammatories & circulation boosters (berries, cayenne, turmeric, chilli). Massage the lower leg thru ankle & foot to encourage elimination of dead cells, improve lymphatic drainage, reduce tightening as it heals & reduce swelling.

All the best, I hope it recovers well...and quickly. :thumbsup: