Anyone have rotator cuff injuries and surgery

G

getbig1974

Awards
So needed some advice here I think I finally did some damage 20 years lifting and it was bound to happen so at first thought it was minor bursitis and got a cortisone shot in the shoulder but still having lots of pain can only lift at around 75% and hurts.. I believe it is called the suprasinatus or subscapularis and Im going in for the 3D MRI to confirm my suspicions i think I may have a tear and all I have read says you need to get surgery. Has anyone had rotor cuff surgery how was the outcome, recovery time, is it arthroscopic and could when can you start lifting again? what percentage will I regain my strength and power and all that. Im on a cycle right now so Ill have to drop down to a cruise and then wait Any advice would be great...

sinewave3

sinewave3

Awards
  • Established
I don't have much advice but I hope you will update us after your imaging.

I hurt my shoulder/rotator cuff beginning of August. Still sore and that's with ZERO benching or OH pressing. On the bright side my back has been getting a to of work! Prob going to the doc my self soon.

Good luck

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I have a SLAP repair and bicep tenodesis on my left shoulder and am currently lifting with a very small SLAP tear in my right shoulder.

Surgery was needed for my left, but rehab worked / is working for my right shoulder.

You have a tear in the supscapularis? Or supraspinatus? Or both? They are 2 different muscles. The subscapularis is very important where it comes to shoulder stability.

I can't speculated about your injury, but for me, 2 years later and my shoulders are stronger than before. I am not sure when they became stronger because I had cut out a lot of overhead work, but I started OH pressing again and am PRing now.

When you return to lifting post surgery, it will mostly be cable work and such for months.

kjetil1234

kjetil1234

Awards
Surgery is just a mechanical fix. Remember, there's a reason for these issues in the first place. Surgery will only fix the symptoms (tears).
Usually what causes supraspinatus tear and bursitis, is that the humerus is jamming into the AC joint. The muscles that "unjam" the joint, IE depressing the humerus, are the subscapularis, teres minor , infraspinatus and lats. I'd start training these if I were you.

G

getbig1974

Awards
I personally think that gear has made my muscles stronger than the attaching ligaments and tendons causing the tear and also going heavy at my age is bound to create some issues. Inclining press sets of 245lbs and close grip bench off 275 I think I was pushing it and I was way stronger when I was younger

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Check out D1/D2 PNF shoulder work with bands. This will really help you post surgery. I haven't really stopped doing these even years after.

G

getbig1974

Awards
Well update did MRI and no tear thank god but just inflammation now it has moved down to my bicep tendon but still connected to the front of my delt and my doc really didn't say **** except here's an anti inflammatory and lay off curling seriously I know the guy is a really good surgeon but his advice sucked. I did get that book though how to treat your own rotator cuff injury. Anyone have any advice for bicep tendon inflammation. I'm at like 50-60% of regular weight for curling.

sinewave3

sinewave3

Awards
  • Established
Check out D1/D2 PNF shoulder work with bands. This will really help you post surgery. I haven't really stopped doing these even years after.
Thanks for this, I was doing one but not the other. Seems to be helping a bit.

NattyForLife

NattyForLife

Awards
Well update did MRI and no tear thank god but just inflammation now it has moved down to my bicep tendon but still connected to the front of my delt and my doc really didn't say **** except here's an anti inflammatory and lay off curling seriously I know the guy is a really good surgeon but his advice sucked. I did get that book though how to treat your own rotator cuff injury. Anyone have any advice for bicep tendon inflammation. I'm at like 50-60% of regular weight for curling.
Do what he said...there is nothing else to do! You have got to rest it!!

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I'd speak with a sports therapist. I greatly speed up injury recovery (or recovery from potential injuries) via HEAVY TENS usage, and heat, along with stretching and some band work (speaking of my shoulders here). I've dodged many injuries this way, and recovered much faster. I don't like down time.

NattyForLife

NattyForLife

Awards
Also, look into the peptide BPC-157!! It is the best healing peptide!!

NattyForLife

NattyForLife

Awards
For real?!?! Have you even read into BPC-157?!? In studies it has reattached torn achilles tendons!! Do some research before you just discredit something!!

G

getbig1974

Awards
Okie dokie here is some information regarding how GH used as PRP (plasma rich playlets) does not work in repairing injuries. So as I was stating that if GH can not help heal or repair these issues how do you think a weak $30 peptide from all these bogus research companies is going to? So I don't think a peptide will repair collagen and tensile strength to a joint or ligament via a general therapy that has no scientific basis. There has been this study and shows it does nothing. So as you can see a weak peptide that has a fraction of the properties that GH has will be less effective. I suspect many people feel a placebo effect either natural repair and combined with therapy usually help most people. Credit goes to Dr. Jim on another board not me he does all the research.
I was just hoping that GH since is so strong would be an effective therapy and I was wrong.
I also am under the false pretense like many that GH and peptides have a stem cell like quality and can mimic or aid in repair and this is just untrue. Since I don't have access to med studies this is just my perception.
I think when many of get injuries we look for the golden bullet to fix the problems and sometimes there is none.

And before you think you have studies Dr Jim a real doctor does some of the best research I have seen (since message boards have been around I'm old) on any board and usually is right.

G

getbig1974

Awards
The technique your describing is called "microfractues" and has been in use for a prolonged period. The problem is the cells which replace the site are fibroblasts and lack the tensile strength of the native tissue making them also much more prone to re-injury!

Furthermore the micro-fracture technique is an arthroscopic procedure and is definitely not performed blindly by some "local" injection into a joint. There is NO COMPARISON!

Additionally you're quoting a study study that used corticosteroids as the control apparently not knowing an improvement in ANY study group would be EXPECTED since CCS WEAKEN collagen!

The primary use for PRP is based on the belief PRP can "behave" as or are a substitute for "stem cells" which has since been proven false as they are not pluripotential/potent cells. (The latter requires SPECIFIC in-vitro modifications that are not possible thru PRP)[/QUOTE]