***Log L5/S1 - Slipped disc - Injury, Operation and Recovery Log

M.I.D

M.I.D

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hey Guys,

I thought I would try and create a fairly in depth daily/weekly log for you to gain some understanding of how a slipped disc and nerve compression affects you so you can hopefully gain some knowledge of do's and don'ts (from my experience anyway) whilst going through recovery and the operation procedure.

So back in November 2014 I was fit and strong and never had any problems relating to my back and never thought I would. I played cricket throughout the whole summer 3 times a week, I gymed and lifted heavy and never had a single problem....... but one day in November I was at work (I manage a Quarry) and myself and a colleague lifted a wear plate for a loading shovel bucket (this weighed upwards of 200kg)...... I thought I was lifting with correct technique, bending at the legs, straight back etc...but clearly not.... my back twinged, I shrugged it off and lifted it to where it needed to be. Then for the next couple of weeks we had a lot of hand shovelling to do, I did this for 2 days before I could no longer do any as my back was in agony.

Fast forward to January, cricket nets started, I am a massive cricket fan, love playing it. So my back was still aching but I went anyway for a few weeks. Then one day it was rather sore so I just took it steady and bowled slow, then all of a sudden I had a huge lightening bolt down my leg and I could barely move, I was so stiff.

Went to docs to request an MRI Scan cause I knew it was serious. It came back that I had bulged L5/S1 and it was rubbing my sciatic nerve.

So I saw a Chiropractor, had 3 cortisone injections from my physio and after about 8-10 sessions I was back up and running and no pain whatsoever, it was amazing.... so amazing that I went back to my old activities and sure enough It went again, but this time it was far worse, I could barely sit and struggled to sleep, had constant bum, thigh and calf pain, with numbness as well as pins and needles in my toes.

This has been going on now for 6 months, no matter how many chiropractor appointments, acupuncture, physio, massage, rest. It isn't getting better.

2 Tuesdays ago I had an epidural nerve block, when this kicked in, the pain relief was fantastic, I could move a lot better and bend a lot easier and more comfortable. This died a quick death though, it lasted for all of 5 days (these can last from 1 week up to 3 years so I have read) unfortunately I am in the 1 week category.

So now I am on the list for Spinal Discectomy, they will cut away the herniation and bulge so this frees up my nerve. I never thought I would say this but I just cannot wait to have it done. Earlier in the year I was dreading the thought of possibly having to get it done and getting really anxious and het up about it and being so negative thinking about everything that could go wrong, but now I just cannot wait to get it done........ I cannot even take a sh*t without having immense pain down my leg, it has got to the point now where it just needs to get done.

I am taking Gabapentin (nerve blockers), Codeine/Tramadol, Paracetamol, Naproxen and Diazepam (only when I am having a very bad day) day in day out, multiple times a day. Not am I only feeling spaced out and sometimes fairly sick because of these pills, I am worried about the long term side effects they can possibly have on your liver, kidneys and particularly stomach with Naproxen.

I should hopefully be having surgery within the next 6-8 weeks. I know it will be a long recovery and I will be in extreme pain at times, especially straight afterwards but in my eyes and from the many experiences I have read up on, this will be well worth it.

So there you are, that is my injury part and up to know the before surgery part, I will try keep it up to date often with how I am feeling and the struggles I am having before surgery and then go from there. Hope this is of some help to people...

If anyone has been through this before and has some tips or anything that can help me then please say.

Today 06/10/15

I woke up this morning feeling OK as I sometimes do if I have slept in a comfortable position all night and not tossed and turned. Got out of bed and within minutes the pain comes on in my leg down to my foot, I am currently unable to bend forward past 75degrees, it is very painful and tight if I try go any further.

I take a shower and get dressed etc, I struggle to put my socks on so sometimes I need help doing that. I go downstairs to take all my pills and have some breakfast and cannot sit down, I am in absolute agony when sitting so I had to eat breakfast stood up.

So I went on my decompression table for 5 minutes to try and relieve some pain, this does work but not for long. The only thing I have to do is wait for my pills to kick in and take away at least some of the excruciating pain.

My drive to work is about 20 minutes, luckily I have heated seats and a mckenzie role, so these help a little bit at least.

My morning has been quite painful though, I am currently on office duties only due to the meds, I have an orthopedic kneeling chair which does help a little, I have to get up for a stretch and walk every 15 mins or so.

Tonight I plan on going home and relaxing, they say rest is the worst thing for it but it takes so much pressure off your nerve after a long day of compression. I do try and add in a short walk if I can though.

Fingers crossed the rest of today will be kind to me!

**Update: so tonight has been ok, I have done lots of psoas stretching and it has actually relieved some of the long built up tension from the last few weeks that has prob been causing all my severe pain.

I have barely sat down tonight as still far to painful to do.
Hopefully will have a good nights sleep.

Cheers

Alex

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Subb'd, and good luck! I've gone though similar, still dealing with my back from time to time, so this will be a good log for me to follow.

Have you tried a home TENS unit for pain management? It really really helps for removing muscle spasms and has been a lifesaver for me. I use it on pulse mode multiple times per day when it's feeling bad, and turn it up as high as I can possibly manage. The higher I can tolerate, the more it seems to absolutely demolish the spasming.

I am back to lifting heavy again, but I still get some pain here and there, and some weird nerve action (zaps that shoot down my leg randomly / infrequently).

If you want any advice or would like to know how I was able to get back to training again (fairly pain free), feel free to ask away. I have 1, possibly 2 herniated discs in my back, no surgery. They're in a horrible location (bottom of T spine, just above the lumbar spine, where they meet, so kind of mid-back).

M.I.D

M.I.D

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I have a tens machine and I do find it helps whilst on my back but as soon as I cease use the pain comes back.
I also have massage chair thing which is good.

How have you managed to avoid surgery, I am unable to function properly with mine

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I have a tens machine and I do find it helps whilst on my back but as soon as I cease use the pain comes back.
I also have massage chair thing which is good.

How have you managed to avoid surgery, I am unable to function properly with mine
I work a desk job, so at first there was lots of icing, working from home, etc. I was also getting multiple PT session each week, including Graston technique on my spine and lats (super brutal but really helps). I started some mild exercises / stretching in PT, but then I started up hot yoga. I basically gave up training with a barbell for about a year. It was multiple yoga sessions per week, and training with cables & bands that really helped.

I started going to hot yoga classes about 3 days per week and then started adding in light gym sessions, then yoga almost every day. There were two types of yoga I was doing, hot 'flow' (which was really fast, more of a cardio workout and really good for strength) and then Yin Yoga, which was 100% on the floor, very long static poses (stretches). I did flow 3-4 times per week and yin yoga twice per week. This helped immensely.

I then started squatting again, 3x per week, very low weight, with volume - but this caused trouble at times so I switched things up. Increased the weight and did low rep squats (sets of 3), but kept frequency up (3x week). This helped increase strength and rigidity again in my spine/back. This is when the pain really started to leave. I kept up the yoga until just recently, cut it out a couple months back and replaced it with mobility sessions. The original injury was about 2 years ago.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I should add, although I haven't had surgery, it's now something I have to constantly do PT for (on my own). I also can't squat & deadlift on the same day. Twice I've tried doing this and both times I've reinjured myself, basically 2 months of pain/ increased rehab/etc when that happens.

M.I.D

M.I.D

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Would you do the same again or would you go down the surgery route?

I plan on doing Pilates as part of my recovery, meant to help alot

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I think I was lucky, my physical therapists told me I didn't require surgery (yet) because I was managing it (somehow) very well with whatever I was doing. They actually didn't believe me at first that I had a herniation.

M.I.D

M.I.D

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Sounds like you are 1 out of 100 people that would be able to cope then

M.I.D

M.I.D

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Gutterpump are you taking any supplements to aid healing?

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Not really anymore, but I definitely was for a while.

MST Joint Mechanic Plus, lots of fish oil, sam-e. I might start these all up together again soon.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Sounds like you are 1 out of 100 people that would be able to cope then
True, but mine was in a really weird spot. It's in my T spine, but not up high, it's at the very bottom of the T spine, just above the lumbar region. In one way, it's good that I avoided the lumbar spine, but the T spine is very hard to treat and it causes all sorts of issues in the upper body/upper back. My seratus and lats get spasms, and it's really really hard to treat the seratus / intercostal muscle.

Your lumbar must be causing you so many troubles because of how much it supports the back, and how much other muscles pull on it (Psoas, hamstrings, etc).

M.I.D

M.I.D

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Ye apparently the lumber is hardest to recover from. I have just found a list of supplements and vitamins and doses to take pre and post op to ensure maximum recovery

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
do you use peptides or anything of that nature?

M.I.D

M.I.D

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Mk-677 until 2 days ago. I am currently researching to see if that will help me in recovery after surgery

M.I.D

M.I.D

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Ah thank you I will purchase that.

How do you take TB-500?? I am taking mk-677 as a tablet orally

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
TB-500 is an injectable protein peptide. I actually wouldn't mess with it if you aren't experienced with peptides, injecting, etc.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Have you looked into Spinal Decompression therapy? This is something I've actually never tried, but should have during PT.

M.I.D

M.I.D

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Na I don't touch injection...... Ye I have a decompression table of my own. It helps but not for long

M.I.D

M.I.D

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Today - Wednesday 07/10/15

So last nights sleep was not bad but within minutes of waking up and standing up I had pain and tingling back all down my leg and in my foot.

Did shed loads of stretching which eased it ever so slightly and no I have a back support on with ice in, this is helping a little bit too.

NattyForLife

NattyForLife

Awards
Okay bud, i work in physical therapy, so here me out on this! Im gonna give you my professional opinion! Pretty much having any kind of back surgery, there is a 50/50 chance of success! That includes a laminectomy, in your case, a discectomy, and any other back surgery! You may not want to hear the truth, but in my professional opinion, you may have to give up working your lower body such as squats, deads, and any other exercise that is similar to those!! Your having a major issue with your back!! I would listen to what your doctor has to say regarding lifting!

NattyForLife

NattyForLife

Awards
I highly doubt any kind of peptide will help your healing!!! That would be a waste of money IMO!

M.I.D

M.I.D

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Okay bud, i work in physical therapy, so here me out on this! Im gonna give you my professional opinion! Pretty much having any kind of back surgery, there is a 50/50 chance of success! That includes a laminectomy, in your case, a discectomy, and any other back surgery! You may not want to hear the truth, but in my professional opinion, you may have to give up working your lower body such as squats, deads, and any other exercise that is similar to those!! Your having a major issue with your back!! I would listen to what your doctor has to say regarding lifting!
Fortunately for me I dont train much
On squats and deadlifts and haven't since my injury

M.I.D

M.I.D

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Thursday 8/10/15

Woken up in agony as usual this morning, feeling now more than ever that I want this op ASAP. People who have been in my position no what I mean. You see no way out of pain and that's all i really want.
I have a 5 hour flight on sat morning that I am absolutely dreading

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I highly doubt any kind of peptide will help your healing!!! That would be a waste of money IMO!
A GH peptide that increases IGF-1 would be a waste because you simply can't repair disks, but TB-500 is amazing for inflammation, adhesions, muscle spasm etc.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
He's clearly in serious pain just sitting/walking around, he won't be lifting like that for a long while! But he should be able to again down the road. I know plenty of people who've had surgery and rehabbed slowly back into things alongside their doctor.

After doing a lot of research on this board, I've also found many others like myself who've managed to rehab back to lifting again. Maybe not squatting 700lbs but still back at it again.

A good friend of mine had a spinal fusion a year ago but is able to squat again now. I've got a couple herniations but can still squat after tons of rehab. Clearly he'll have to work alongside his doctors / therapists but I wouldn't go scaring him like that! I'm always of the mindset that where there's a will there's a way, always, depending how much you want it. I never thought I'd be squatting again but I was willing to do what it took to be able to keep lifting once again, it just took a ton of rehab, and more work & dedication now.

M.I.D

M.I.D

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Friday 09/10/15

Today I am in absolute agony, I cannot do anything without being in massive pain. I am currently making the trip from York to Manchester and I am laying down in the passenger seat with heated seats on to try and alleviate my pain. None of the meds have touched me today. I am become more of the thought that my Disc has ruptured....
Flight to Cyprus tomorrow - wish me luck

M.I.D

M.I.D

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Sunday 11/10/15

so I am currently sat by the pool in Cyprus and loving life or at least most of it. My back on the flight was not as bad as expected, I was severely pilled up and had abit of wine to wash it down. It helped!! But I also did a lot of walking before the flight and I believe that helped an awful lot. Currently it is 4pm here and I have had 1 set of tablets all day as I haven't really felt the need to take anymore, I think this is again due to walking around and laying down catching some rays. I keep having bouts of should I shouldn't I with the surgery, but again once I am back home and back to normal life I will be in agony again..... Horrible pickling situation I am in right now.

But I did wake up at 4am for a sh1t and was in agony when sat down, so it does bite me in the ass whenever it wants, Literally!!!

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Enjoy your stay in Cyprus! Glad the flight was manageable.

M.I.D

M.I.D

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Monday 12/10/15

Seems to be getting worse everyday now since my good spell over Friday/Saturday.

When it was good it sort of gave me hope that I could get through this without surgery but not I am back to my "new normal" I still believe surgery is the right option for me....., thankfully my pre op assessment appointment has come through for a weeks time, glad things are in motion now

M.I.D

M.I.D

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Wed 14/10/15

Managed to only get a few hours sleep last night, in absolute agony this morning as well as all night.

Seems strange how some days the pills work and other days they don't

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Are you able to move up the date of your next doctor's appointment? A few weeks does seem long to wait.

When I first had my injury, I had to sleep with lacrosse balls / baseballs, etc. I would lay down on 1 or 2 and place them on trigger points on my back.

M.I.D

M.I.D

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I have my pre opp appointment on weds and then my surgery date will be probably 3 weeks from then

M.I.D

M.I.D

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Friday 16/10/15

So it's currently 4:40am here in Cyprus and I am laying awake havin woken up in agony. So just waiting for the pills to kick in then hopefully get some more kip. Today is our last full day, we fly tomorrow. I have managed to keep at least 30mg diazepam for the flight, although only used 25 on way here so may not need it all.

On another note, I didn't realise how many Russians and polish came here, our hotel is full of them. My god can they drink, one guy got 4 vodkas (foreign measures) and then poured them into 2 half pint glasses, filling each, and sat there practically downing them. Unreal!! He was a right perv too lol just thought I'd throw that in there

M.I.D

M.I.D

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Sunday 18/10/15

So I am now back home in York.

The flight back was quite uncomfortable, I had to take 25mg diazepam at take off which knocked me out but only for 40 mins but gave me slight pain relief for few hours, then had to take another 20mg 2hours before landing, this time it didn't touch me much but just enough.

Pre op assessment coming this weds which I am looking forward to!

M.I.D

M.I.D

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Tuesday 20/10/15

So this has been affecting my job for the past 10 months now, I have been called in for a meeting by my area manager next week because he doesn't think I'm committed to the job.

I think that is such an ignorant thing to say and think, I'm sorry but I cannot help the fact my back is ****d! Such a douche!

M.I.D

M.I.D

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Weds 21/10/15

Today is my pre op assessment, been awake all night in pain and worry, I know it's nothing to worry about cuz only taking my bp and few other things lol but just worry as the op is getting closer every day.

Not much scares me at all, but this is scaring the life out of me.
That's very hard for me to admit!

kjetil1234

kjetil1234

Awards
Monday 12/10/15

Seems to be getting worse everyday now since my good spell over Friday/Saturday.

When it was good it sort of gave me hope that I could get through this without surgery but not I am back to my "new normal" I still believe surgery is the right option for me....., thankfully my pre op assessment appointment has come through for a weeks time, glad things are in motion now
You can.

kjetil1234

kjetil1234

Awards
with medication and no life maybe Ye
I work daily with people who have this problem. You need to stop looking for a miracle and start researching - it's possible for sure. Best wishes.

M.I.D

M.I.D

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I work daily with people who have this problem. You need to stop looking for a miracle and start researching - it's possible for sure. Best wishes.
And you think I haven't researched day In day out regarding Exercises and ways to get around surgery etc. And I hadn't tried it all?
I've tried every bloody thing going, yet it hasn't worked.

I don't just wanna get surgery for the sake of cool scar I'm afraid!!

M.I.D

M.I.D

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Friday 23/10/15

So I have been so up and down with what I want to do over the last few days, I have decided to cut my meds down to properly assess how bad I am. I woke up in agony this morning but after some stretches I seemed ok-ish.

This was shortly followed by my meds tho so it is really hard to tell, hence why I am cutting them down.

Tho doc has changed me onto Zomorph as of this evening - oral morphine..... I may hold off on this for the next week to assess myself more.

The NHS have turned around and said the waiting last has gone from 4-6weeks to 12 weeks! Ass holes

M.I.D

M.I.D

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Tuesday 27/10/15

So I have my surgery date - two weeks today - the 10th November....

M.I.D

M.I.D

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Best of luck with the surgery.
Thank you bud!

Monday 02/11/15

The op is getting ever closer........ I have had an up and down weekend, I went for a nice long walk yesterday with my 2 girls (the mrs and my dog), my dog is very very strong and was tough to handle as she was very interested in other dogs, so my back and leg was feeling it last night big time.

I slept very well though and feeling better today.

I have my pre op on Thursday again - its very silly how the NHS and private hospitals cannot exchange info or pre-op details. I have done one on the NHS already which took like 2 hours and now have to do it all again.

Got my info and invoice through for op this weekend - it says I will be in hospital for 3 nights, a lot longer than I expected tbh, I thought one night would've been it. Shows the diff between NHS and private - the NHS wanted me in and out within a day - no over night stop or anything.