Golfers elbow Pain on the inside of the elbow

datsthat

datsthat

Awards
  • Established
I have sever pain on inside of my left elbow (see pic).
elbow-golfers-4951_1.jpg

I have not been to a doctor yet, but will if I can "fix" myself. I am pretty sure I got golfer elbow (GE) due to the numerous surgeries on my left hand area which I ended up with some screws and rods. The numerous surgeries were to repair a fractured scaphoid which didn't work so my last surgery was to partial fused scaphoid to my radius which left my with very limited ROM. I can't bend my wrist back enough to do a push up. Only way is to make a fist and do pushups on my knuckles or one of those pushups contraptions. I feel elbow pain whenever I pick up my 4 yr old son.
hand_anatomy_bones.jpg

I took 9 days off of lifting a month ago and the pain did reduce slightly, but as soon as I did 1 pull up, the pain was back again. I am using lifting straps on my left hand only. I have been doing physical therapy at home to try to strengthen my left forearm and started taking Antaeus Labs Achilles. I'll eventually go see a doctor if the pain doesn't get any better.

Anybody else have this? what helps? Thanks

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Did you try mashing the forearm tissues?

datsthat

datsthat

Awards
  • Established
Did you try mashing the forearm tissues?
Thank you.
Part of my home made physical therapy is to massage my left forearm using my right thumb with 7 out of 10 pressure...so I am massaging pretty hard.

I am afraid that my GE may not be fixable without some sort of surgery because I think it stems from my limited ROM which doesn't allow my left forearm to get stronger (using lifting straps doesn't help cause)....only time will tell.

any other suggestions?

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Can you describe the pain better and when you pick up your son is the pain from the moment you lift him up or after hes in the air? Hows your grip strength?

datsthat

datsthat

Awards
  • Established
Can you describe the pain better and when you pick up your son is the pain from the moment you lift him up or after hes in the air? Hows your grip strength?
I figure the more info I give, the better help I can get..........................

My left grip strength is no where close to my right. Overall my left grip strength is ok.

I don't feel any pain at rest.

the following pain levels are out of 10, 10 being worst pain imaginable.

I feel pain whenever I twist my wrist in either directions..especially when twisting wrist to flex triceps. - pain level 3

The farther I twist, the more pain. when twist in farthest position, the pain level is 3

I pick my son up the "traditional" way by putting my hands in karate chopping position and tuck under his armpits and then lift up. The pain goes away once my son straddles my body - pain level 1

BB bentover rows - pain level 5
BB curls - pain level increases as arm straightens out. pain level 3
BB Bench - pain level 1
BB military press - pain level 2

Machine lat pulldown all grips- pain level increases as arm straightens out. pain level 3
Machine tricep extension - pain 1

Rope tricep pull down - pain level increases as arm straights especially at end of movement where you extend end of rope outwards - pain level 2

DB bentover rows - pain level 2
DB curls - pain level increases as arm straightens out. pain level 2
DB Bench - pain level 1
DB military press - pain level 2

Summary - I experience most pain when arm is near to all the way straighten out/extended with palms facing up and pain decreases when palm facing down.

My home therapy:
10 mins -Gaiam Restore Hand Therapy Kit (3 squishy balls w/ varying resistance)
10 mins - Gaiam Restore Hand & Arm Therapy Bar (flexible rubber bar is designed to bend and twist, equating to 5-10 lbs)
Massage pain area with right hand & stretch forearm as much as I can, but due to very limited wrist ROM, I am not able to get much of a stretch.

I was thinking about getting a NSD Power Gyroscopic Wrist and Forearm Exerciser...anybody ever tried one before?

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Sounds like you get pain when your bicep is on stretch too. Maybe work on lengthening that bicep.

datsthat

datsthat

Awards
  • Established
Sounds like you get pain when your bicep is on stretch too. Maybe work on lengthening that bicep.
My bicep doesn't bother me (yet), but that doesn't mean its not related to my pain. Any suggestions on lengthening bicep?

baldbeardguy

Awards
I had the same issue. Your inner forearm muscle is tight and is stressing the tendon causing the pain. Compression on the muscle will release it. Massage with a golf ball and get a compression band. Forearm curls with a 5-10 pound dumbbell also helps. It'll persist for a few days longer and then literally disappear overnight. Before doing this I tried rest and that never quite fixed it fully. I feel your frustration.

DieselNY

DieselNY

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I have/had golfers elbow and bpc157 pretty much fixed it

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
My bicep doesn't bother me (yet), but that doesn't mean its not related to my pain. Any suggestions on lengthening bicep?
Using a barbell to roll it out, hanging from pull up bars with the biceps relaxed, and regular old bicep stretching.

DieselNY

DieselNY

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Research peptide and absolutely amazing. Google it

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Using a barbell to roll it out, hanging from pull up bars with the biceps relaxed, and regular old bicep stretching.
Ive got to agree here. Mashing with a compression wrap on the elbow, and hanging with compression wrap on the elbow, has helped mine a lot.

datsthat

datsthat

Awards
  • Established
Thank you. I'll check it out and will let you know if I have any questions which I am sure I will

I have a 10lb rounded dumbbell that I just started using over the weekend (Thank you). Hanging from bar increases pain in my elbow, but I endured it for few mins at a time. I'll make sure to stretch my biceps every time before I lift.

Ive got to agree here. Mashing with a compression wrap on the elbow, and hanging with compression wrap on the elbow, has helped mine a lot.
I don't think I was massaging it as good as I thought I did because I worked it before each workout over the weekend and the pain drastically deceased.

On my left side, when I rub hard and deep (i like the sound of that) with my right thumb across tendon (see 1st pic below), it feels like going across bunch of course guitar strings, best way I can describe it is as if you are rubbing across the 2nd pic below. However, it feels much smoother on my right elbow area...maybe a couple rigid "lines". I am hoping that I can "rub" it out.

So my new approach (thank you guys) will be to:
(1) Rub hard using my thumb and a rounded blunt stick/device of some sort. I am considering purchasing Mobility WOD stick. Anybody ever used one or have any experience with this device? What about flossing?
mwodsticks.jpg

(2) Strengthen my forearms using squishy balls and forearm blaster that I made for couple bucks.

datsthat

datsthat

Awards
  • Established
My golfer elbow pain feels better today than yesterday then the day before....etc... Yesterday, I deeply massaged for about 10 mins prior to lifting and in between each set and wow, pain level was lowest its been. I was very surprised and happy considered yesterday was pull day and pull days are the days that caused most elbow pain.

My wife got me a pair of versa grips which just arrived & 2 more bottles of Achilles. I was so excited to use versa grips that I wore them on leg day.

datsthat

datsthat

Awards
  • Established
BPC-157 looks very interesting. How many times did you use it? Correct me if I am wrong, but the only way use is via needle? I am not afraid of needles, but I figure if I was going to use a needle, it'll be AS.

DieselNY

DieselNY

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
BPC-157 looks very interesting. How many times did you use it? Correct me if I am wrong, but the only way use is via needle? I am not afraid of needles, but I figure if I was going to use a needle, it'll be AS.
Yes but tiny insulin needles. 2 to 3 weeks at about 250 to 500mcg a day. Each vial is 5,000mcg

cheeky1

cheeky1

Awards
  • Established
Awesome that you're getting relief so quickly!! :)

Be mindful of the effect that previously damaged hand will have on the elbow too. Keep those fingers stretched, inverting the arm and pressing them flat will help. Any shortening of the tendons in the hand & wrist will translate to tension further up the chain. If you catch yourself curling the fingers on that hand at rest, straighten them out ;-)

Acupuncture can be useful, as can cissus, hyaluronic acid & anti-inflammatories like cayenne. We've had success with various joint & connective tissues issues with Joint Fixx, Infinite Labs Joint Support and Vital Labs Joyful Joints (probably the best value all around joint product I've yet found).

Rest is a big one too - a buddy of mine was stubborn & kept training with it until eventually had to get cortisone jabbed into his Golfers Elbow, then he felt so good he went straight back to heavy lifting & it came back. Now he's just had his 2nd jab of cortisone as all other treatment is proving ineffective. I know the Ganglion he had excised from his wrist a while ago has caused bio-mechanical misalignment, but he won't listen to that - the pain is in his elbow :pat:

datsthat

datsthat

Awards
  • Established
Awesome that you're getting relief so quickly!! :)

Be mindful of the effect that previously damaged hand will have on the elbow too. Keep those fingers stretched, inverting the arm and pressing them flat will help. Any shortening of the tendons in the hand & wrist will translate to tension further up the chain. If you catch yourself curling the fingers on that hand at rest, straighten them out ;-)

Acupuncture can be useful, as can cissus, hyaluronic acid & anti-inflammatories like cayenne. We've had success with various joint & connective tissues issues with Joint Fixx, Infinite Labs Joint Support and Vital Labs Joyful Joints (probably the best value all around joint product I've yet found).

Rest is a big one too - a buddy of mine was stubborn & kept training with it until eventually had to get cortisone jabbed into his Golfers Elbow, then he felt so good he went straight back to heavy lifting & it came back. Now he's just had his 2nd jab of cortisone as all other treatment is proving ineffective. I know the Ganglion he had excised from his wrist a while ago has caused bio-mechanical misalignment, but he won't listen to that - the pain is in his elbow :pat:
I think it was partiality placebo because pain is still there. But I've learned what I need to do daily so that it doesn't hurt so much during and after certain lifts. Iceing helps a lot. I can't completely rest it, I mean I don't want to not lift. I must find happy medium. I have acupuncture appt Tuesday.

datsthat

datsthat

Awards
  • Established
Had my (Electroacupuncture) acupuncture appointment. The person was an actual medical doctor that specialized in Pain Medicine. He used 2 needles and connected to electronic device that sent out small current of electricity. Somehow it stimulates something that I think took helped. I am gonna try to get this done every other week. Its been 3 days since my treatment and sometimes it feels better and other times not. Hopefully more visits will help.

I also went to my primary doc and he just prescribed bunch of drugs (naproxen, Prednisone & flexerall) and 7 days of rest. I'll follow his advice if after 2 months of Electroacupuncture doesn't work.

cheeky1

cheeky1

Awards
  • Established
Damn drug pushers. I was talking about this with my sports therapist today. He's a big fan of gentle cross massage of the tissues to break up scar tissue, and we use combinations of Christopher's ointments: Complete Tissue & Bone for removing toxins & rubbish in there; Sen Sei Menthol as a cool heat after exercise & massage; Cayenne Heat Rub to help loosen & increase circulation before work/exercise.

He also advised against overly aggressive mashing & rubbing daily, as that can damage the connective tissues & cause tearing off the bone.
Wrist strengthening is also something to look at, in order to correct any imbalance that may exist & exacerbate the condition. Keep the hands massaged too, make sure all tendons & ligaments are loose & not pulling you up unknowingly.
Keep an eye on your neck too, make sure there's no pulling up there coming from that elbow.

The electro-acupuncture is good for the tissue chain it's placed in, but make sure the whole arm from fingertip to shoulder is properly aligned and relaxed too.

datsthat

datsthat

Awards
  • Established
Damn drug pushers. I was talking about this with my sports therapist today. He's a big fan of gentle cross massage of the tissues to break up scar tissue, and we use combinations of Christopher's ointments: Complete Tissue & Bone for removing toxins & rubbish in there; Sen Sei Menthol as a cool heat after exercise & massage; Cayenne Heat Rub to help loosen & increase circulation before work/exercise.

He also advised against overly aggressive mashing & rubbing daily, as that can damage the connective tissues & cause tearing off the bone.
Wrist strengthening is also something to look at, in order to correct any imbalance that may exist & exacerbate the condition. Keep the hands massaged too, make sure all tendons & ligaments are loose & not pulling you up unknowingly.
Keep an eye on your neck too, make sure there's no pulling up there coming from that elbow.

The electro-acupuncture is good for the tissue chain it's placed in, but make sure the whole arm from fingertip to shoulder is properly aligned and relaxed too.
Thank you for priceless tips. I appreciate you taking time to help me out.

Update: Its been exactly 7 days since my electro-acupuncture session and
I have been taking Antaeus Labs Achilles for exactly 22 days and
I have increased fish oil to 4 grams per day and
I have been doing my home version of physical therapy for exactly 1 months and
I've only done 1 session with flossing band thingy which was last night and
I've been using Versa Grip Pro for my Pull days
I had my 1st deload last week
AND TODAY MY ELBOW FEELS 99% BETTER.

I have little to no pain when picking up my son. With my arm pointing forward (like I am pointing at somebody), I can turn my wrist in both directions all the way with little pain. My elbow is stiff when I get up in morning but that goes away as soon as I start moving my elbow.

I would say that a combination of all of the above has helped. I plan on getting bi-weekly electro-acupuncture and will continue doing what I've been doing except I will change my workout from heavy weight w/ low reps to lighter weight w/ higher reps to give my elbow a break.

I am so happy that words can't describe....just knocked on wood to prevent jinxing myself.

I'll provide an update in couple weeks or if anything changes.

cheeky1

cheeky1

Awards
  • Established
Excellent. Just go easy on the big reps too. Remember, it's predominately repetition that causes this problem ;-)
If it twinges or tightens while training, forget that exercise. Do something else or switch to a gentle stretch.

I would suggest you get creative with resistance bands, ie. hook them onto the barbell/machine ends at chest & shoulder stations & give your arms a break from heavy tension at the bottom, push smoothly through to the top. In this way you can still get a good load up & it's not necessary to aim for lock out, keeping constant tension will fatigue you quicker than you would think with minimal weight.
Watch your alignment in a mirror, make sure you're not favouring any one side, tilting your head, dropping a shoulder etc.

Keep it up, you're doing well!! :banana: and all with no drugs!!

Oh, and keep up that training regime & self therapy regime for a few weeks after you feel 100%. Same with the re-strengthening exercises and keep the supps intake up for months, don't drop the fish oil. The easiest way to get conditions like Golfers Elbow back is to think you have it nailed, then charge back into the same old lifting routine without thought & BANG!! It hits again. Be very mindful of your form for the rest of the year, get a pro to provide remedial treatment once/month for the next few months, even after electro has stopped. We very easily convince ourselves that we have healed 100% - until someone in the know points out the twist in your frame, or hits a pressure point in your arm :smashfreakB:

Some people put up with this for years, their whole life even...you don't want that.

datsthat

datsthat

Awards
  • Established
Excellent. Just go easy on the big reps too. Remember, it's predominately repetition that causes this problem ;-)
If it twinges or tightens while training, forget that exercise. Do something else or switch to a gentle stretch.

I would suggest you get creative with resistance bands, ie. hook them onto the barbell/machine ends at chest & shoulder stations & give your arms a break from heavy tension at the bottom, push smoothly through to the top. In this way you can still get a good load up & it's not necessary to aim for lock out, keeping constant tension will fatigue you quicker than you would think with minimal weight.
Watch your alignment in a mirror, make sure you're not favouring any one side, tilting your head, dropping a shoulder etc.

Keep it up, you're doing well!! :banana: and all with no drugs!!

Oh, and keep up that training regime & self therapy regime for a few weeks after you feel 100%. Same with the re-strengthening exercises and keep the supps intake up for months, don't drop the fish oil. The easiest way to get conditions like Golfers Elbow back is to think you have it nailed, then charge back into the same old lifting routine without thought & BANG!! It hits again. Be very mindful of your form for the rest of the year, get a pro to provide remedial treatment once/month for the next few months, even after electro has stopped. We very easily convince ourselves that we have healed 100% - until someone in the know points out the twist in your frame, or hits a pressure point in your arm :smashfreakB:

Some people put up with this for years, their whole life even...you don't want that.
Once again, thank you (that seems to be theme lol). I'll look into resistance bands. I've been interested in them, but this will give me a good excuse to get some.

Great advice! But sometime it harder to back down when your at gym and elbow feeling better.....for example, last night was a rest day but I ended up doing a great deadlift workout. I shouldn't have lifted so heavy. Every now and then I can feel my elbow pain. I need to pre plan my weights prior to lifting and keep in mind that my elbow is still recovering.

cheeky1

cheeky1

Awards
  • Established
No sweat mate, your experience may help somebody else one day. All the best :fing02:

datsthat

datsthat

Awards
  • Established
Update: Its been exactly 2 weeks since my electro-acupuncture session. everything is same. Not sure if its because electro-acupuncture wearing off or not, but golfer elbow pain slowly coming back. Its not nearly as painful as before. I am trying to get back to electro-acupuncture...hopefully soon.

Anybody familiar with PRP (Platelet Rich Plasma) Therapy? I just found out about it and starting my research now. I believe most insurance won't cover

I am still considering BPC-157 but not until I exhaust most if all possible therapy.

Edit: I have acupuncture appointment tomorrow with a different acupuncturist due my normal dude being booked. I'll update in a week

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
I have/had golfers elbow and bpc157 pretty much fixed it
Where was the injection site for this? Not much of anything to inject into where my pain is - right on that protruding bone.

datsthat

datsthat

Awards
  • Established
I forgot about this thread.....

Update: Its been almost 2 months since my last update and my golfers elbow is essentially......gone. I stopped going to acupuncture because I noticed it wasn't helping as placebo wore off. All I've been doing is taking the supplements and the exercises that I mentioned and use versa grips on pull days.

My elbow does get sore every so often especially after heavy deadlift session, but nothing like before. I can pick my son up with no pain and he is getting heavier.