Diabetics and BB'ing...

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
My good friend is an insulin-dependant diabetic. He's actually in really good shape as is. He comes in at about 185-190 and very low BF. Anyways, I keep trying to get him to train with me.

With some dedicated help, I could possibly start some competetions early than once thought. I get better motivation when I got someone beside me bustin there ass and tellin' me like it is together...

So, we speak every so often about his diet, etc. He states that he uses humalog, but I forget the actual name or brand. He says he takes one shot in the AM then monitors when needed and carries some dextrose tabs along with him. I also forget the doseage.

But what I want to know is can he still be ahead of the game and compete, all the while pushing the limits like the rest of us? I told him to ask his doc about going on a higher calorie diet and along with that an increase in insulin use. I don't know too much about insulin use and BB'ing besides the basics and would like some help or thoughts from you guys.

Basically, I'd like to just start him on a really sound diet, etc, but don't want to cross paths with his doc. And I certainly don't wanna be wasting his time due to him being a diabetic and raising his expectations too much.

I'm in the blue here, any help?

morfiend

Awards
  • Established
My good friend is an insulin-dependant diabetic. He's actually in really good shape as is. He comes in at about 185-190 and very low BF. Anyways, I keep trying to get him to train with me.

With some dedicated help, I could possibly start some competetions early than once thought. I get better motivation when I got someone beside me bustin there ass and tellin' me like it is together...

So, we speak every so often about his diet, etc. He states that he uses humalog, but I forget the actual name or brand. He says he takes one shot in the AM then monitors when needed and carries some dextrose tabs along with him. I also forget the doseage.

But what I want to know is can he still be ahead of the game and compete, all the while pushing the limits like the rest of us? I told him to ask his doc about going on a higher calorie diet and along with that an increase in insulin use. I don't know too much about insulin use and BB'ing besides the basics and would like some help or thoughts from you guys.

Basically, I'd like to just start him on a really sound diet, etc, but don't want to cross paths with his doc. And I certainly don't wanna be wasting his time due to him being a diabetic and raising his expectations too much.

I'm in the blue here, any help?
his doc probably tells him how many grams of carbs correlate with insulin.. i dont know TOO much about it...

why doesnt he just up calories from other sources in the mean time?

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
his doc probably tells him how many grams of carbs correlate with insulin.. i dont know TOO much about it...

why doesnt he just up calories from other sources in the mean time?
I don't wanna really pry myself into his life and start reccomending things to him that he may or may not be able to do. I don't know if his doctor has some sort of plan or formula they follow, and I don't see the dude much.....but that would probably be the thing to do...:)

Skye, where the F- you at man? LOL...bump for more input.. :icon_lol: :frustrate

einstein1905

Banned
Awards
It really makes a difference if he's type I or type II. saying he's "insulin-dependent" usually implies type I, but could also mean type II. If he's type II, there are all sorts of concerns, namely not increasing insulin resistance. If he's type I, his insulin sensitivity is likely perfect/normal, and he's already insulin-dependent due to lack of endogenous production. the worse thing that can happen to a type I diabetic is that he'd have to increase his insulin doses some;, but that's not even likely.
As a type I, he could really just adjust the timing of his insulin injections (and quantity) and then the subsequent macro intake.....he'd be in the same boat as us.

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
It really makes a difference if he's type I or type II. saying he's "insulin-dependent" usually implies type I, but could also mean type II. If he's type II, there are all sorts of concerns, namely not increasing insulin resistance. If he's type I, his insulin sensitivity is likely perfect/normal, and he's already insulin-dependent due to lack of endogenous production. the worse thing that can happen to a type I diabetic is that he'd have to increase his insulin doses some;, but that's not even likely.
As a type I, he could really just adjust the timing of his insulin injections (and quantity) and then the subsequent macro intake.....he'd be in the same boat as us.
Did not know that man....I'll have to ask him about that..