Im diabetic, and have Access to SLIN, can I put it to my advantage?

  1. Registered User
    Cantell's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  204 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    267
    Answers
    0

    Im diabetic, and have Access to SLIN, can I put it to my advantage?


    Ok, I here of people using insulin for BB purposes, I have never researched it, but thought it was interesting since I take alot of insulin everyday!

    Can someone explain to me why, and how it works for BB purposes? I have read alittle but I would like it in simple terms!

  2. Registered User
    thundalegs199's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    42
    Answers
    0


    my friend is a diabetis and myself and him have had conversations related to this many times. Diabects who take insulin injections (ie. humalog, humalin) will not get the anabolic affects that a person who is not a diabetic would experience. The insulin you are taking as a diabetic will only replace the insulin that you body no longer makes naturally.
  3. Registered User
    Smiley's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    345
    Answers
    0


    Look up some Bodybuilding insulin protocols out. The hardest part is knowing the effects it will have on your body. It will be a lot easier for you because you already know all the sides (at least for normal doses).

    Thunda i would like to hear why being diabetic even matters for getting an anabolic effect.
    •   
       

  4. Registered User
    mark118's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    812
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by thundalegs199 View Post
    my friend is a diabetis and myself and him have had conversations related to this many times. Diabects who take insulin injections (ie. humalog, humalin) will not get the anabolic affects that a person who is not a diabetic would experience. The insulin you are taking as a diabetic will only replace the insulin that you body no longer makes naturally.
    you've missed the point. the insulin protocol is to add insulin onto what ever physiological levels you already have.

    eg if you are diabetic, you are trying to minic a normal person's insulin/glucose levels and so there is no reason to assume you'd be getting an advantage, espeially since insulins are made to mimic human insulin.
  5. Registered User
    Kraker's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    419
    Answers
    0


    Your normal dosage is sufficient to reach your bodies needed insulin levels to be stabile. Now if you increased the dosage first thin in the morning and about a half hour after you workout, you would then feel the added effect that people use to help muscle gains. Research it and if you feel comfortable enough, start adding small amounts to your first morning shot and after you workout and see how things go from there.
  6. Board Supporter
    Nitrox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    42
    Posts
    1,303
    Answers
    0


    None of the above.

    Insulin is a hormone that the body produces in proportion to the amount of food energy consumed. If you want to increase your own insulin output then you just have to eat more.

    Supplementary insulin becomes advantageous for muscle building purposes when someone has inadequate natural insulin to metabolize food energy in a reasonable time frame. This can be due to that person have impaired insulin function (diabetic) or if he is having to consume an unnatural amount of food due to say, supraphysiological amount of muscle achieved with steroids.
  7. Registered User
    Kraker's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    419
    Answers
    0


    [QUOTE=Nitrox;2267416]None of the above.QUOTE]

    He is Diabetic, therefor what I stated above would apply directly to him. Or am I just misunderstanding what you said?
  8. Board Supporter
    Nitrox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    42
    Posts
    1,303
    Answers
    0


    [quote=Kraker;2267429]
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrox View Post
    None of the above.QUOTE]

    He is Diabetic, therefor what I stated above would apply directly to him. Or am I just misunderstanding what you said?
    Sorry Kraker, I meant to say that none of the preceding posts were totally accurate - not just yours. However, in a limited context what you say is correct.

    The confusion comes from how insulin works in the body. Unlike a hormone like testosterone, there really is not a normal level or dosage of insulin. Using a rule of thumb, the body produces about 1 unit of insulin for every 10 grams of CHO consumed. Once that insulin triggers the 10 gram uptake it is destroyed. If another 10 grams of CHO are consumed, the body has to produce another unit of insulin.

    The 'protocol' of using supplementary insulin first thing in the morning and PWO is based on those meals supposedly being the most important. In reality the adaptation stimulus lasts something like 24-48 hours so if someone has limited insulin output then they could benefit from supplementary insulin at any time during that window to get enough energy metabolized to fuel growth.
  9. Registered User
    Kraker's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    419
    Answers
    0


    OH! I see what ya mean. Thanks for helping clear it up
  10. Registered User
    thundalegs199's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    42
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by mark118 View Post
    you've missed the point. the insulin protocol is to add insulin onto what ever physiological levels you already have.

    eg if you are diabetic, you are trying to minic a normal person's insulin/glucose levels and so there is no reason to assume you'd be getting an advantage, espeially since insulins are made to mimic human insulin.
    i agree thats exactly what i said. IF YOUR A DIABETIC and you take more insulin than your body would normally make, it would simply decrease your blood sugar, not have a pronounced anabolic affect. i believe your the one who misunderstood
  11. Board Supporter
    Nitrox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    42
    Posts
    1,303
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by thundalegs199 View Post
    i agree thats exactly what i said. IF YOUR A DIABETIC and you take more insulin than your body would normally make, it would simply decrease your blood sugar, not have a pronounced anabolic affect. i believe your the one who misunderstood
    A diabetic will get just as much additional anabolic effect from taking synthetic insulin as will a non-diabetic. The only difference will be that all of the effect will be attributed to synthetic insulin for the diabetic versus both natural and synthetic for the non-diabetic.

    This is because the insulin dose (or production for non-diabetic) is totally dependent on the size and composition of the meal. For example take two people with identical insulin sensitivities, one diabetic and one not. If both take in 50g of carbs, at 1 insulin/10g CHO, then both will need 5 units of insulin to metabolize the meal. The diabetic obviously has to take the full 5 units. The non-diabetic has the option to take 0 to 5 units supplementary insulin since his body will just make up any deficit with natural insulin. If he takes the full 5 units, his body will produce zero natural insulin (assuming perfect timing) and he will achieve the same effect as the diabetic. If EITHER person wants to take more than 5 units, then they have to also increase the size of the meal or else they will go hypoglycemic.
  12. Registered User
    Cantell's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  204 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    267
    Answers
    0


    SO, am I screwed being a diabetic? Can I still make gains like a "normal" person? Also, if I am trying to cutt as a diabetic, would it be smart to eat HIGH protein and LOW carbs so I dont need as much insulin? Dosent more insulin=more fat?
  13. Board Supporter
    Nitrox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    42
    Posts
    1,303
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Cantell View Post
    SO, am I screwed being a diabetic? Can I still make gains like a "normal" person? Also, if I am trying to cutt as a diabetic, would it be smart to eat HIGH protein and LOW carbs so I dont need as much insulin? Dosent more insulin=more fat?
    No, you are not screwed. The benefits of taking supplementary insulin are either related to the fact that it acts somewhat faster than natural insulin or the fact that natural insulin output may be limited (for the amount of food consumed) - or a combination of both. As a type 1 diabetic you have both bases covered. FWIW, once I got diagnosed and got on insulin, I have made better gains than I ever did before having developed symptoms.

    Insulin does not DIRECTLY equate to fat gain, surplus calories do. Yes carbs require more insulin per calorie to metabolize but don't let that confuse you. Fats are carbs are two different macronutrients and cells have different sensitivities to them.

    IMO it is always essential that someone who is serious about body composition management follows a meal plan. This is especially true for diabetics. Not only will it help you bulk/cut but you will be much better at predicting and managing insulin req's and glucose levels.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Iss Advantage Matrix
    By MuscleMind in forum Supplements
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-20-2009, 10:30 PM
  2. Replies: 24
    Last Post: 10-09-2009, 10:41 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in