Sunglasses? Oakley's?

rippedforce63

Awards
  • Established
Just wanted to get some feedback from anyone who owns a pair of these. This is the first "nice pair of sunglasses that I'm buying, i.e not a cheapy $15 pair from cvs and wanted to get people's opinions on the brand.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
I've bought several kinds of sunglasses, but Oakley's are my favorite. The quality is very good IMO.

When you use them, the clarity in the lens is excellent and not distorted.

I have been contemplating buying a new pair as I lost my old ones a couple years ago and have been using the CVS ones as of late.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
Actually after reading this thread, I just ordered myself some online right now.

DreamOfWeight

DreamOfWeight

Awards
  • Established
i have 4 pairs or Oakley gascans...brown, white, blue, black

tattoopierced1

been wearing oakley's for 8 years now and wont ever wear any different brand now..

methusaleh

methusaleh

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Personally I prefer Wiley X SG1 or XL1s, I can literally bend them and shove them into a pocket at a moment's notice and not worry about breaking them. Not to mention the lenses change in a flash.

I had a pair of Oakley Razor Blades about 15 years ago, and when part of the frame broke, Oakley sent me a new pair of glasses free...now that was customer service!

DreamOfWeight

DreamOfWeight

Awards
  • Established
man... sounds like fun... i played varsity baseball for two years but never played college... i use to wear shades at third cuz the sun was always behind home...no one ever stold third!! i miss slapping down the tag.. free shades//?//?// must be nice! lol

holyintellect

holyintellect

Awards
  • Established
If you're willing to shell out the $$, I dont think you can go wrong with Oakleys...

holy

Palo Alto Labs

Palo Alto Labs

Dave
Awards
  • Established
i love oakleys... but how come when i shell out $150 for Oak's i either lose them or scratch them to high hell...

but my $5 pair from CVS... i couldnt lose them if i tried

My buddy is a manager at a Oakley store... he'll get me replacement lenses for $10 whenever I need them. Ive owned 5 pairs, but managed to lose 2... :nutkick:

b unit

b unit

Awards
  • Established
i love oakleys... but how come when i shell out $150 for Oak's i either lose them or scratch them to high hell...

it's called Murphy's Law my friend

rippedforce63

Awards
  • Established
Appreciate the feedback guys probably gunna go with the half wires or the whiskers.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established

My buddy is a manager at a Oakley store... he'll get me replacement lenses for $10 whenever I need them. Ive owned 5 pairs, but managed to lose 2... :nutkick:

Dang does that mean if I have a pair and mess up my lenses I can get you to get me some replacement ones????:whip: I would pay finders fee!!!

babolat

babolat

Board Sponsor
Awards
my oakleys have lasted me 8 years now. Great quality.

I got the twentys (XX) with fire lenses

Cuffs

Cuffs

Awards
  • Established
Oakley's are great. If you , or somene you know is either in the military or law enforcement, go to the website I listed below. Once they confirm your military and/or law enforcement, you get signd up for their site and receive Oakley products at cost, which is about half price of what you would pay at a sports shop. They also send you the invoice with the retail price so you can use it as a tax write off.

www.usstandardregister.com

You can go the site and check out the products, but it will not give you the price, until you are a member. Most glasses are in the $50.00-$65.00 range.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Oakley's are great. If you , or somene you know is either in the military or law enforcement, go to the website I listed below. Once they confirm your military and/or law enforcement, you get signd up for their site and receive Oakley products at cost, which is about half price of what you would pay at a sports shop. They also send you the invoice with the retail price so you can use it as a tax write off.

www.usstandardregister.com

You can go the site and check out the products, but it will not give you the price, until you are a member. Most glasses are in the $50.00-$65.00 range.
You should note that these are standard issue dull black frames with minimal writting/design on them. They're for military and police after all. Glasses are stil great! I had a pair of these in HS. Good info!

Cuffs

Cuffs

Awards
  • Established
You should note that these are standard issue dull black frames with minimal writting/design on them. They're for military and police after all. Glasses are stil great! I had a pair of these in HS. Good info!
Actually, they are some of the same glasses they sell at the sports shops. They come in M frames, O frames, polarized frames, or wire frames and most are matte black color. Over 20 styles to choose from. Not to mention the different lenses you can get. They come with the "O" on the sides of most of them. Not bad for the price.

I lose and/or break my glasses so often, that 2 for the price of 1 is a hell of a deal for me.

dlew308

dlew308

Awards
  • Established
If you want really good optics, look at the maui jim brand. I wear Native Eyewear glasses myself now after losing my previous pair of Oakleys.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
which ones?

I'm not sure if this link works:

http://oakley.com/pd/4663/15274

They are the 'RADAR PITCH' ones in black. I like them b/c they are well-balanced for tennis/golf when I play.

If I were getting some sunglasses for casual use, I might have gotten something different, but for the price/functionality those ones were ideal.

I'm ok with spending some cash for a nice pair of glasses, however, it's nuts how some pairs costs upwards $300+.

macedaddy

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I'm not sure if this link works:

http://oakley.com/pd/4663/15274

They are the 'RADAR PITCH' ones in black. I like them b/c they are well-balanced for tennis/golf when I play.

If I were getting some sunglasses for casual use, I might have gotten something different, but for the price/functionality those ones were ideal.

I'm ok with spending some cash for a nice pair of glasses, however, it's nuts how some pairs costs upwards $300+.
Agreed! those were the ones i was looking at, actually! lol! same color, too. I can't see wearign the red. I like my sunglasses to somewhat match my attire. I laugh when people where outrageous colored shoes that don't even come close to matching their clothes. same with sunglasses.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
The blue/black version of the RADAR PITCH looks pretty tight also.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
Agreed! those were the ones i was looking at, actually! lol! same color, too. I can't see wearign the red. I like my sunglasses to somewhat match my attire. I laugh when people where outrageous colored shoes that don't even come close to matching their clothes. same with sunglasses.

I try to keep my sunglasses conservative. Either blue or black usually since they are universal. If I were to buy some austentatious color then I'd either have to match my clothes with it, or wear a different pair.

I'm all about practicality. Plus I haven't seen too many people with those pair. I'm also not adiment about having a pair that 99% of the population also has.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
But yeah, I think those glasses are the best bang for the buck right now, IMO. Not too expensive, but they look nice and are semi-unique.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
But yeah, I think those glasses are the best bang for the buck right now, IMO. Not too expensive, but they look nice and are semi-unique.
A lot of my baseball buddies are switching from the M-Frames to the pair you mention. I have yet to try them but guys say they're a lot lighter, which I don't find hard to believe.

I love my M-frames tho. I dont think I'll ever switch.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
Well, the biggest thing for me is that the bottom portion of the sunglasses is rimless so it does not obstruct my downward view.

It is not quite that big of a deal when I'm playing golf, however, when I shift my eyes downwards to see the sidelines in tennis, the bottom of the rims has a tendency to block my view.

I think it is just better all around to have that lower portion gone.

All my old sunglasses prior to this purchase have been a full rim.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
The M-Frames looks a bit too Star Trek for me. Esp, with that jagged edges on the lenses. The Flak Jackets are too round.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The M-Frames looks a bit too Star Trek for me. Esp, with that jagged edges on the lenses. The Flak Jackets are too round.
O yea big time star trek look. I like it because it covers all of my view so no sun can get in. Sometimes when your chasing down a fly ball and look back up you get partial blinded by a ray that squeaks thru somewhere.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
Those are nice too, but the lens is limited in shielding out the sunlight, similar to what DW was saying.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I was looking for a daily use lens and one good for the firing range that wouldnt distort my view of the target.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
Some of those full rim Oakley glasses are thick and substantially block quite a bit at the bottom.

Not so much the wire frames, but some of those full rim plastic ones can be very bulky.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
I wear contacts, but my eyeglasses are also half-rim as well, even though they are wire frames.

methusaleh

methusaleh

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Soooo...anyone care to revise that link for the military/LE discount?

shaddow

shaddow

Awards
  • Established
Spy shades are my favorite.
I rock polarized Spy Hielos on the daily, but they're mostly just for that "badass" look, IMO. I definitely wanna get a pair of Oakleys for playing sports, just not quite sure which ones yet.

supersize77

supersize77

Awards
  • Established
Not sure if you mean "round" due to shape of the frames or the lenses but they have two different lens options/shapes for the flak jackets.Oakley Flak Jacket Sunglasses - Mens Sport Sunglasses available from Oakley.com. I think the standard lens look better but the XLJ version are more performance oriented (cover your vision from all angles).

Last edited:
UNCfan1

UNCfan1

Awards
  • Established
I have had 3 pairs of Oaks. 2 black pair, the one I have now is polarized. I had some pearl colored ones but when I was a cop my chief said I could where them they were to "flashy":think:

This black pair I have now has lasted me a good few years. I spent to much on them though, I might look into some Costa del mar sunglasses next.

methusaleh

methusaleh

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Thanks....I went to the link, filled out the form, went to fax my ID and the fax number is timing out my fax machine! Don't know if it's the wrong # or they take it offline at night, or what the problem is (it's about 0200 now)....

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
Can I get some of those glasses if I am a government employee, but not in the military ?