HBO's Generation: Kill

RobInKuwait

RobInKuwait

Awards
  • Established
This is a show about a Marine Recon element that was the tip of the spear in the 2003 invasion of Iraq. Watched the first episode last night and it was outstanding. The guy who did The Wire directed it.

Anyone else watch it?

HBO: Films: Generation Kill

Nightwanderer

Nightwanderer

Awards
  • Established
that was the first episode? good. Yeah I saw it. Watching all the wounded tell their stories in the documentary that followed was a downer though, lol. I've been disabled my whole life, so I feel that like any other animal, I'm in my natural state with no sense of loss, and while I'm not 100% content with my situation, I can't imagine the misery of going from an immensely capable and independent soldier to a condition possibly far worse than where I am now.

RobInKuwait

RobInKuwait

Awards
  • Established
that was the first episode? good. Yeah I saw it. Watching all the wounded tell their stories in the documentary that followed was a downer though, lol. I've been disabled my whole life, so I feel that like any other animal, I'm in my natural state with no sense of loss, and while I'm not 100% content with my situation, I can't imagine the misery of going from an immensely capable and independent soldier to a condition possibly far worse than where I am now.
Wow, didn't watch the documentary. Went to bed after the show. Sounds kind of depressing though.

slow-mun

slow-mun

Awards
  • Established
I read the book in 2004. Its a very realistic depiction of what Iraq was/is somewhat now like and how Soldiers/Marines actually act. My girlfriend wouldn't let me watch it last night:sad:. Hopefully they re-run the sh!t out of it.

Nightwanderer

Nightwanderer

Awards
  • Established
Wow, didn't watch the documentary. Went to bed after the show. Sounds kind of depressing though.
yeah, they'd show some torn up former soldier tell what happened to them, and right after, a lot of times there'd be 'insurgent released video' of that very incident that they'd be able to show. So, you'd hear a soldier talk about how s/he happened to be driving down the highway or whatever, and how local militants were waiting about 1/4 mile to the side of the road with an explosive of some sort etc, and then you'd literally see exactly what happened to them (i.e. them & their team getting blown up while iraqi militants babble victory chants/prayers behind the camera). It was hard to watch and at the same time I felt compelled to keep listening to them.

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
I caught it off and on, but from what I was able to catch, it' seems as if it is a nice series

RobInKuwait

RobInKuwait

Awards
  • Established
It kind of had a modern day Band of Brothers feel.

They were there at an interesting time...no structure in place, no organized resistance, and they still had the attitude like there was a clear beginning and end to the war. Conquering heroes versus whatever the situation is today.