Words of Wisdom - George Carlin

PC1

Spam, supposedly written by George Carlin, but in any event, a worthwhile 90 second read:

The paradox of our time in history is that we have taller buildings but shorter tempers, wider freeways, but narrower viewpoints.

We spend more, but have less, we buy more, but enjoy less.

We have bigger houses and smaller families, more conveniences, but less time.

We have more degrees but less sense, more knowledge, but less judgment, more experts, yet more problems, more medicine, but less wellness.

We drink too much, smoke too much, spend too recklessly, laugh too little, drive too fast, get too angry, stay up too late, get up too tired, read too little, watch TV too much, and pray too seldom.

We have multiplied our possessions, but reduced our values. We talk too much, love too seldom, and hate too often.

We've learned how to make a living, but not a life. We've added years to life not life to years. We've been all the way to the moon and back, but have trouble crossing the street to meet a new neighbor.

We conquered outerspace but not inner space. We've done larger things, but not better things.

We've cleaned up the air, but polluted the soul. We've conquered the atom, but not our prejudice. We write more, but learn less. We plan more, but accomplish less. We've learned to rush, but not to wait. We build more computers to hold more information, to produce more copies than ever,
but we communicate less and less.

These are the times of fast foods and slow digestion, big men and small character, steep profits and shallow relationships. These are the days of two incomes but more divorce, fancier houses, but broken homes. These
are days of quick trips, disposable diapers, throwaway morality, one night stands, overweight bodies, and pills that do everything from cheer, to quiet, to kill. It is a time when there is much in the showroom window and nothing in the stockroom.

A time when technology can bring this
letter to you, and a time when you can choose either to share this insight, or to just hit delete.

Remember, spend some time with your loved ones,because they are not going to be around forever. Remember, say a kind word to someone who soon will grow up and leave your side. Remember, to give a warm hug to the one next to you, because that is the only treasure you can give with your heart and it doesn't cost a cent.

Remember, to say, "I love you" to your partner and your loved ones, but most of all mean it. A kiss and an embrace will mend hurt when it comes from deep inside of you. Remember to hold hands and cherish the moment for someday that person will not be there again. Give time to love, give time to speak, and give time to share the precious thoughts in your mind.

AND ALWAYS REMEMBER:

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we
take, but by the moments
that take our breath away.

If you don't send this to at least 8 people....
who cares? -George Carlin

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
He makes many great points, especially about the broken marriages/families, and obesity/lifestyle.

bigpetefox

bigpetefox

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Read his book "Brain Droppings".. Highly enlightening.. :)

NPursuit

Awards
  • Established
Originally posted by bigpetefox
Read his book "Brain Droppings".. Highly enlightening.. :)
I'm going to have to pick myself up a copy of that.

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
Hold up, isn't George Carlin the comedian that used to complain about everything? Or am I thinking of someone else?

I like the simple life man, When I finally get out of college, I'm gonna do some work when I want to, and not worry about havin 3 yaughts, 42 porsches, and 10 castles. Give me a small home out in the country, with a reliable gitty-up car, and I'll be set. With women on the weekends of course. :D

btw, if anyone cares, my good friend from back in high school just OD'ed on smack the other night, shock wave sent through the groups, going to go to his funeral tomorrow, and have to see a lot of people I hadn't seen in a while. Makes you think.......

NPursuit

Awards
  • Established
Originally posted by Jergo
Hold up, isn't George Carlin the comedian that used to complain about everything? Or am I thinking of someone else?

I like the simple life man, When I finally get out of college, I'm gonna do some work when I want to, and not worry about havin 3 yaughts, 42 porsches, and 10 castles. Give me a small home out in the country, with a reliable gitty-up car, and I'll be set. With women on the weekends of course. :D

btw, if anyone cares, my good friend from back in high school just OD'ed on smack the other night, shock wave sent through the groups, going to go to his funeral tomorrow, and have to see a lot of people I hadn't seen in a while. Makes you think.......
Yes he is.  He is one funny bastard! 

Sorry to hear about your friend man!  I think you used to be a big partier like I was?  I know I had a lot of fun but I'm glad it's behind me now and I'm not dealing with problems like that anymore.

tatortodd

Awards
  • Established
Exercising Your Immune System

My favorite bit by George Carlin was during one of his specials on HBO when he talked about exercising his immune system.

To paraphrase:
In my opinion people worry to much about germs. I've come to the conclusion that if you don't exercise your immune system it won't know how to work. I grew up in Brooklyn and we swam in the Hudson River every day during the summer. There wasn't one case of polio on my block.
~Todd

P.S. Jergo, sorry to hear about your friend.

PC1

Jergo,

Sorry to hear about your friend, that sucks. Bad decisions, followed by more bad decisions.

On the simple life.............

Not to be critical, I wish you all the best in achieving the life you desire.

You know, it sounds good when you read it, but it's very difficult to apply. There's been so much pressure in our society to develop a "more competetive workforce", and be more competetive globally. Talk to people from nearly all walks of life, doctors, lawyers, accountants, managers, trades people, people who work in manufacturing, and on and on. EVERYONE is being asked to work more efficiently and produce more of whatever we do. When you get out of college and enter the workforce, you will feel (and be expected) to "prove yourself" to your employer. Maybe it's some OT, maybe it's taking on some additional project over and above what your colleagues are doing. And if you're working for someone, anyone, as an employee, forget about earning enough $$$ for things like porsches, yachts, etc. No one ever acquires great wealth working for anyone. You're there to work to help the OWNER make $$. He/She has the resources to give you a track to run on and produce for them, and will pay you enough to earn a living at some level. He/She will expect you then, to produce for them at THEIR profit........ Welcome, to the Real World (as Morpheus says to Neo ;) )

Look at our schools.... we've been hearing for decades now that SAT scores have been declining, and so we've been pushing our kids harder to learn more and sooner.

Then consider when you're attempting to live the simpler life, friends, in-laws, family etc., they show up with a new car, a new snowmobile, a new motorcycle, a second Summer home, or maybe all of the above. It's difficult to not always be comparing yourself to the people you know. It's easy to say one doesn't care to "keep up with the Joneses", but you feel it. You definately feel it, and as you get a little older, you also realize the clock is ticking and the years you have left to be able to enjoy some of the toys, or traveling, or whatever, are dwindling more quickly all the time.

I don't have the answer here, I'm just pointing out that our society at every turn of the way encourages materialistic pursuits.

And these frankly, astute observations by George Carlin seem for many to be the aftermath for many of us who get caught in the rat race.

My only advice here, is to NOT GO INTO DEBT to buy personal toys. If you can't afford it, save your money and shop around awhile.

Be well

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
keep up with the Joneses
LOL, that made me laugh man, thanx, I neede a picker upper after that funeral.

Thanks everyone for the kind words. what you said PC1 is no doubt true, but I can understand how the thought of possesions and superficial things CAN catch up with you, you wouldn't be human if it didn't.