Got in my teachers doghouse

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Man fellas, wanna know why get so many idiots in the medical field and Personal Training field. In my Athletic Training class today we were going over nutrition. The "professor" says you only nee .5-.7 grams of protein per pound, I chuckled, than the bastard singles me out and says "you think you know more than me", I being bothered said "of course, I'm bigger than you" He gave me a sermon after class about respect and all that **** and said it was low class of me to say that.

Point being, a class of 50 people are being told this crap, and they of course think the "professor" knows it all so they pass on this junk. Teacher was talking about anything over 1 gram will give you heart and kidney problems. We probably would have died a long time ago if this were true

D

db682

Awards
  • Established
Hate to bust your bubble but he's right to an extent. I got the sermon of my life when my wife first found out how much protein I was taking in while on cycle. She's a nurse and has some good idea of what is healthy and what is not. I think she said the same thing. .5-.7. But thats for the average individual. Bodybuilders and athletes need more then that as we all know.

I then, being determined to prove her wrong, spoke to a couple doctors that are members at my gym. It ended up being a big group discussion.

Final answer: Anything over 20% of total calories in the form of ANIMAL PROTEIN has been shown to significantly increase LDL cholesterol levels in active and none active individuals. To much protein of any types also causes a calcium deficency in all people and can lead to a increased risk of osteoporitis (i think I spelled it right) in men and women. I remember hearing somewhere else that to much protein can cause kidney problems because the amino acids convert to a waste product that strains the hell out of your kidneys.

I still take in alot on a regular basis. And you got to remember that protein wont make the muscle grow alone, so dont think that cramming will blow you up.

db

J

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
This is all arguable IMO, with backup studies to go either way. It's a circular argument depending upon too many parameters I think :)

V

VanillaGorilla

Awards
  • Established
1. The people in studies or study I should say that the low protein religion uses had PRE EXISTING kidney problems.
2. "Anything over 20% of total calories in the form of ANIMAL PROTEIN has been shown to significantly increase LDL cholesterol levels in active and none active individuals". Then why do some peoples good cholesterol improve on an Atkins type of diet. My girlfriends father LDL was threw the roof. His doctor put him on an Atkins diet and his HDL WENT UP and LDL went down.
3. It's true that if you take in a **** load of protein it CAN cause a calcium deficiency but you can take a calcium supplement to counter act that.
The bottom line is .5 to .7 is too low for any one who is training hard. It is ridiculous to compare a 180 lb couch potato to a 250 lb line backer. They simply do not have the same protein requirements but the low protein religion really believes this. Some resent studies have even showed that as you age the more protein you need.
All I have to say is try it...........eat .5 grams of protein a day and see how it works for you. Then after you stop having any productive work outs eat 1 to 1.5 and see how it works. I got freaked out a long time ago and did this. When I was eating a low protein diet I had absolutely no results in the gym. When I started eating protein again.... guess what happened? My strength went up and I started putting on some muscle.
Do you agree with the other thing most nutritionist recommend like the majority of the food we eat should be bread and pasta? Studies are showing that a high carb diet is increasing bad cholesterol but because they are so dogmatic they ignore them.
I went threw the same thing at a nutritional class at college. The best thing to do is find a decent amount of studies that disproves what they are saying and debate with you teacher about it. That would be better than saying that you bigger than he is. Then with out saying it you show it that maybe you do more than him about nutrition.

D

db682

Awards
  • Established
Vanilla,
I detect a condisending tone in your text. You wouldnt perhaps be trying to convince yourself that the 500gms of protein a day will turn you into a BB monster, would you?

1. Never seen the study, just was mentioned when talking about this subject. You got it, show it. I would love to see it. But I know that water and the amount of intake of it has alot to do with that my friend. So for now will scratch pre-existing until the research is proven. Kidney problems are almost always a concern when any supplement is taken without proper fluids to flush out the toxins that are produced in conversions.

2. Perhaps the main reason for the decline in his LDL and incline in HDL is the fact that almost all atkins real recipes, products, etc. involve the high use of vegetable based proteins(soys) as a main ingredient. I have nothing against the atkins diet, I did it for about 8 months one time and had alright results, but it is not just as many people think Bacon and eggs allday everyday. And vegetable proteins have been shown to do exactly what happened to your girlfriends father.

3. No need to counter that statement. That is definitly the statement of a crammer. Theres alot of unhealthy things that we do that has something to counteract the negatives but that doesnt make them a wise move in the first place.

The bottom line is .5 to .7 is too low for any one who is training hard. It is ridiculous to compare a 180 lb couch potato to a 250 lb line backer. They simply do not have the same protein requirements but the low protein religion really believes this.
I agree!

You need to see the big picture though bro. Could you imagine the hefers that would be out there stuffing there faces with McD's burgers just because some idiot started going around saying that taking in 1-2 gms/lb of protein aday is healthy. We, as in bodybuilders and athletes, are not the majority of the population of the world. I believe Irons professor was using rational thought with that statement.
I still love my protein and take it by the pound but I KNOW that spending a fortune on the stuff and wasteing it wont do me any good.

db

p.s. Too much protein will also cause you to become the least popular person at the gym when your stomach starts turning because your body isnt fully digesting the stuff and it becomes a putrid oder that seps from your ass while lifting heavy. puuuufffffff. And the room clears out. ;)

A

Atavis

Awards
ROFL

.5-.7 grams

HAHAHAHAH!

Utter f'in morons. YEah, and everyone should eat at least 60% of their daily diet in the form of grains too. LOLOLOL.

V

VanillaGorilla

Awards
  • Established
Evil,

I am not being condescending. I had the exact same experience that Iron had. There is a nutritional dogma that is taught in most colleges. That dogma is eat a low protein, low fat, high carb diet. They think you should mainly eat bread, pasta, and cereal. Hell ........... If everything they said is true Atkins should have died from a heart attack 20 years ago.
You said " You need to see the big picture though bro. Could you imagine the heifers that would be out there stuffing there faces with McD's burgers just because some idiot started going around saying that taking in 1-2 gms/lb of protein a day is healthy. " how is the oprah worshiping masses of obese woman stuffing their faces with low fat pasta and bread any better than eating Mcd's burgers?
My point is this there are enough studies showing the a moderate to low carb, moderate protein, moderate fats blows the high carb low fat out of the water as far as weight loss goes any way.
My g/f father wasn't eating from vegetable based proteins but mostly meat. From my understanding this is what Atkins recommends. Dr. DiPasquale as had similar findings on a ckd diet. When people on a low carb high protein diet bad cholesterol goes down good goes up. When they start having carbs bad cholesterol goes up. That being said I don't think eating bacon , eggs, and butter year round is a good idea but who knows.
"You wouldn't perhaps be trying to convince yourself that the 500gms of protein a day will turn you into a BB monster, would you?"
I really did try this believe it or not after listening to them in a personal training class. They basically said that a higher protein diet would ruin your kidneys and going by the FDA a 250 lb bodybuilder would need a can of tuna fish a day for a protein requirement. So I tried it.............. and it didn't work too well.
As far is studies I used to have a lot of references but my old computer crapped out and I lost most of them. I'll try to dig some of them up again. Will Brink has a few good ones on his web site. You can also check out the NY times they had a article on Atkins vs. the total carb diet a few months ago.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Evil,

I am not being condescending. I had the exact same experience that Iron had. There is a nutritional dogma that is taught in most colleges. That dogma is eat a low protein, low fat, high carb diet. They think you should mainly eat bread, pasta, and cereal. Hell ........... If everything they said is true Atkins should have died from a heart attack 20 years ago.
That's more of the point I was trying to make Gorilla, this professor tried to make me look like an idiot so that's why I responded w/a smart ass comment in the first place. His .5-.7 grams per pound recommendation was for ATHLETES & ACTIVE people. By his rationale, Ronnie Coleman would be getting results w/150 grams of protein. Way too low for BB'ers or Strength & Power athletes. He didn't even offer any study to back his point of view and I did. But I am also against the 500 grams a day theory unless you're 400-500 pounds.

The dogma is big at colleges. This professor also thinks anything more than 60 mg. of vitamin C is a waste and can give you kidney stones. He certainly won't try to stop me from downing a protein shake in his class ever again LOL.