warning... eggs will kill you

Palo Alto Labs

Palo Alto Labs

Dave
Awards
  • Established
More reasons to dislike the media.. how do they manage to miss the point in everything.....

Seven or more eggs a week raises risk of death - Yahoo! News
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Middle-aged men who ate seven or more eggs a week had a higher risk of earlier death, U.S. researchers reported on Wednesday.

Men with diabetes who ate any eggs at all raised their risk of death during a 20-year period studied, according to the study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.

The study adds to an ever-growing body of evidence, much of it contradictory, about how safe eggs are to eat. It did not examine what about the eggs might affect the risk of death.

Men without diabetes could eat up to six eggs a week with no extra risk of death, Dr. Luc Djousse and Dr. J. Michael Gaziano of Brigham and Women's Hospital and Harvard Medical School found.

"Whereas egg consumption of up to six eggs a week was not associated with the risk of all-cause mortality, consumption of (seven or more) eggs a week was associated with a 23 percent greater risk of death," they wrote.

"However, among male physicians with diabetes, any egg consumption is associated with a greater risk of all-cause mortality, and there was suggestive evidence for a greater risk of MI (heart attack) and stroke."

They urged more study in the general population.

Eggs are rich in cholesterol, which in high amounts can clog arteries and raise the risk of heart attack and stroke.

One expert on nutrition and heart disease said the study suggests middle-aged men, at least, should watch how many eggs they eat.

"More egg on our faces? It's really hard to say at this point, but it still seems, if you're a middle-aged male physician and enjoy eggs more than once a day, that having some of the egg left on your face may be better than having it go down your gullet," said Dr. Robert Eckel of the University of Colorado and a former president of the American Heart Association.

"But, remember: eggs are like all other foods -- they are neither 'good' nor 'bad,' and they can be part of an overall heart-healthy diet," Eckel wrote in a commentary.

The Harvard team studied 21,327 men taking part in the much larger Physicians' Health Study, which has been watching doctors since 1981 who have agreed to report regularly on their health and lifestyle habits.

Over 20 years, 1,550 of the men had heart attacks, 1,342 had strokes, and more than 5,000 died.

"Egg consumption was not associated with (heart attack) or stroke," the researchers wrote.

But the men who ate seven eggs a week or more were 23 percent more likely to have died during the 20-year period.

Diabetic men who ate any eggs at all were twice as likely to die in the 20 years.

Men who ate the most eggs also were older, fatter, ate more vegetables but less breakfast cereal, and were more likely to drink alcohol, smoke and less likely to exercise -- all factors that can affect the risk of heart attack and death.
So its not that 'eggs' are the culprit... but the people who had higher mortality rates seem to just be eating more of everything... such flawed logic on the authors part.

And we all know that 'rich in cholesterol' is not necessary a bad thing... unless your a fatass

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
That explains it! I ate some eggs the other day, they just didn't sit well. I thought they looked a little strange.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
that one extra egg a week, going from 6 to 7 raises death rate by 23% eh?

egg #7 must be an ostrich egg

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
The higher the temperature gets, the more pirate attacks there are.

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
Wow I must be Fed in the A then. 36 a week must mean I got like 7 more years to live.

MuscleGuyinNY

MuscleGuyinNY

Banned
Awards
  • Established
People will read that and automatically assume that eating eggs is unhealthy. They won't bother to recognize that the study was performed on individuals who had diabetes... duh. It also didn't mention any other habits they may have, or other conditions they may be suffering from.

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Lol nice replies guys. Conclusions like that frustrate me as well, and the problem is some people don't look over the information and make their own conclusion, and go about telling other people how they hear 7 + eggs/week is going to kill them quicker. /Sigh

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Wow I must be Fed in the A then. 36 a week must mean I got like 7 more years to live.
NO! OCC stop, don't do it man. theres to much to live for! lol

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
NO! OCC stop, don't do it man. theres to much to live for! lol
Too late, just had my first 3 of the day and 5 slices of bacon!. Ahhh the clogging feels soooooooooooo gooood.

Palo Alto Labs

Palo Alto Labs

Dave
Awards
  • Established
Lol nice replies guys. Conclusions like that frustrate me as well, and the problem is some people don't look over the information and make their own conclusion, and go about telling other people how they hear 7 + eggs/week is going to kill them quicker. /Sigh
yea its frustrating.... i cant stand the idiotic nature of people at times

i had an allergic reaction to laundry detergent a few weeks ago.. the first response from my gf and my mom: "maybe its all those supplements you take"

hmmmm supplements = natural
laundry detergent = chemicals....
which would be more likely to cause localized skin irritation?

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established

i had an allergic reaction to laundry detergent a few weeks ago.. the first response from my gf and my mom: "maybe its all those supplements you take"

eggs mixed with supplements? That must be like straight up suicide.

Palo Alto Labs

Palo Alto Labs

Dave
Awards
  • Established
eggs mixed with supplements? That must be like straight up suicide.
for the sake of all things holy.. please noooooo!

i ask of you...please stop eating your eggs.. they are unhealthy...

consider healthier foods...hmmm like :pizza:
i havent seen an article that said pizza is unsafe..so it has to be healthy ...... right? pizza hut stuffed crust!! its the american way!

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
for the sake of all things holy.. please noooooo!

i ask of you...please stop eating your eggs.. they are unhealthy...

consider healthier foods...hmmm like :pizza:
i havent seen an article that said pizza is unsafe..so it has to be healthy ...... right? pizza hut stuffed crust!! its the american way!
I mean his names is "PAPA" John, that has to be homemade downright healthy cooking! And hunny make sure theres no peppers on it this time! I hate green things on my pizza!

t3stxlr4titud

t3stxlr4titud

Awards
  • Established

I hear the same story, but just because something is natural, doesnt mean it can't be harmful.

You should have said, no its the steroids and then punch in the face!

-TF

Palo Alto Labs

Palo Alto Labs

Dave
Awards
  • Established
I mean his names is "PAPA" John, that has to be homemade downright healthy cooking! And hunny make sure theres no peppers on it this time! I hate green things on my pizza!
thats how my buddy used to order nachos (which he did every time we went out)... nachos, extra cheese, chili... no veggies
i mean.. at that point,..it really didnt matter if there were veggies or not..but its the point
at least he wasnt eating eggs... hate to see him in an early grave!

bigrobbierob

bigrobbierob

Awards
  • Established
Hmmm...so far this week I've had 24 eggs. I guess I score extra damage points because I drink some raw.The worse thing has been :gas:

I used to laugh to myself at the fat people that would order a triple decker pizza and diet coke!

this thread makes me want a pizza :smite:

Nightwanderer

Nightwanderer

Awards
  • Established
yay for us that like eggs as a protein source, maybe this article will misguide enough people to the point where the egg industry will be forced to lower prices....

Palo Alto Labs

Palo Alto Labs

Dave
Awards
  • Established
yay for us that like eggs as a protein source, maybe this article will misguide enough people to the point where the egg industry will be forced to lower prices....
i was just thinking that
lower demand... price might drop...
i think we just open up to another thread that rotates around economics :think: here come the charts ... ATTN: REAPER!! hahha

warren

Awards
well im on 5 a day thats 35 per week 140 per month 1680 per year,

omg lads help help i think im dying hav ate to many eggs, why couldnt i have just been a fat ass and ate less eggs but loaded up with beer, choclate, cream cakes and sugar all day long .

ill take my chances with my eggs. i always laugh , my mates who are skinny but fat if you get me lol ( weigh like 140 lbs but have 25% bf ) tell me all the time how aas kills people , and then they go pop e at the weekend lol my mam and dad tell me not to eat too many eggs but then smoke and drink lol

crazy world where they condem the healthy

warnerve

Awards
  • Established
nice, now we just need an article that says more than 1 glass of milk a day will give you kidney stones or something

vpower

vpower

Awards
  • Established
i hate how the media portrays so many things as unhealthy when they dont really know shytt...5 a day eggs for me right now....OSTRICH eggs

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
i hate how the media portrays so many things as unhealthy when they dont really know shytt...5 a day eggs for me right now....OSTRICH eggs
ostrich eggs are around 2000 calories a pop.

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
You guys should read the book "In Defence of Food" by Michael Pollan. It's a short, well cited read about how we really need to focus on eating more naturally and ignore label claims on obviously unhealthy foods .Amazon.com: In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto: Michael Pollan: Books

A better summary and reviews are there, but you can finish the book in 2 hours easy and will be glad you read it.

Palo Alto Labs

Palo Alto Labs

Dave
Awards
  • Established
You guys should read the book "In Defence of Food" by Michael Pollan. It's a short, well cited read about how we really need to focus on eating more naturally and ignore label claims on obviously unhealthy foods .Amazon.com: In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto: Michael Pollan: Books

A better summary and reviews are there, but you can finish the book in 2 hours easy and will be glad you read it.
Im such a nerd when it comes to books. Throwing this on my wishlist for my next amazon purchase.

i used to deliver food for a bbq restaurant when i was 16-18.. i was at the neighborhoods front gate waiting for the security guard to let call the house and let me in... the guard laughed when I told him the house i was going to.. he told me that this family ordered delivery EVERY night of the week.

I find one of the greatest joys in life to be cooking... even better is making low trans&saturated fat/low carb / HI protein renditions of comfort foods.
good spinach dip :: blend cottage cheese, add some olive oil, cooked spinach, artichoke, salt, pepper, seasoning.... wow.. protein spinach dip.
ive found that blended cottage cheese is a great alternative anywhere mayo or a cream is normally used.

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
I love cooking too, and my girlfriend and I spend a lot of time taking homey foods and making them healthier. I swear she tries to find ways to make "healthy" recipes even healthier without sacrificing taste. We've found that spices are a godsend when eating healthy, as is slow cooking since you can use leaner tougher meats and end up with a tasty tender healthy morsel.

MB

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
i was just thinking that
lower demand... price might drop...
i think we just open up to another thread that rotates around economics :think: here come the charts ... ATTN: REAPER!! hahha

Dave-

You can use the one I made for Aspire's price change. No charge. I'm a nice guy. :cheers:

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
The higher the temperature gets, the more pirate attacks there are.

You sir, are incorrect. Since the decrease in piracy in the 1800s, global warming has increased dramatically. If piracy were to increase to levels similar to those of the 1800s, then this global warming crisis would be over.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
I'm glad someone picked up on that reference.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
I own a copy of the gospel.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
I should be smoking crack instead, it's probably safer