Rubik's Cube (and beyond).

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
Anyone else somewhat fascinated/obsessed with the rubik's cube style puzzles? They are a "habbit" I picked up while bored at work (wal*mart had one on clearance for like a dollar... LOL, same reason I have a yo-yo, but that is another thread, LOL).

I'm by no means a speedcuber, nor do I truly understand the cubes (yet), but I'm at the point where I can solve the 3x3x3 in under 3:00 if I don't mess up, and under 5:00 no matter what. I've got one more thing to learn and I'll be able to solve the 4x4x4 in under 10:00. I'm already contemplating buying the 5x5x5 as well.

MB

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
there is supposed to be a mathematical formula that if you follow it can get you to solve the rubik's cube.

I think it is a genetic disposition to thinking. Some people can do it, some cannot.

3-5 min is tremendously well.

I think my best ever was 1.5 hrs. It took me awhile.

..........then again that's not even that bad considering the majority of the population cannot even solve one at all.

bitterplacebo

bitterplacebo

Awards
  • Established
I was given one for Christmas, but I can't seem to bring myself to devote the time to learn how to solve it.

Do you have any of the Lemarchand puzzle boxes from Hellraiser?
Someone out there has to have made some good ones that aren't just for decoration.

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
I really want to make a 6x6x6 cube (since the evens are harder than the odds) and pattern it after the LeMerchand cube!

This is the method I use for the 3x3x3:
http://peter.stillhq.com/jasmine/rubikscubesolution.html

and here's the basis for the one I use for the 4x4x4 (I've found ways to simplify it though):
http://www.speedcubing.com/chris/4-solution.html

It is very important to understand the notation used, and not "really" pay attention to the colors shown since I don't think either of them have the same colors on their cube as I do.

Kevf

Kevf

Awards
You got me inspired! I've just bought a 3x3 :thumbsup:

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
Congrats and welcome to the obsesion :thumbsup:

MB

maynehood171

Awards
  • Established
I was given one for Christmas, but I can't seem to bring myself to devote the time to learn how to solve it.

Do you have any of the Lemarchand puzzle boxes from Hellraiser?
Someone out there has to have made some good ones that aren't just for decoration.
...Same here

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
The links I posted are quite helpful ;)

MB

Konvicted

Konvicted

Banned
Awards
I suck at the rubix cube, I can get hella close to solving it but never finish it.

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
Seriously, the methods in the links I posted are fool proof (as even I can use them). The 4x4x4 method isn't "perfect" IMHO, but it does give you useable tools to solve it.

re: The Lament Configuration - If you go to:
http://www.cenobite.com/shop/puzzle.htm
you can find links to various manufacturers of high-quality replicas. Too bad most of them are totally static ;)

MB

bitterplacebo

bitterplacebo

Awards
  • Established
I found a couple that actually had some moving parts, but they're not really much of a puzzle.

But one is just a 3x3x3 rubik's with the Lament configuration pattern.

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I'd like to make it a 6x6x6 cube, would fit the theme of the cube, and would be VERY difficult to solve (at least time wise, methodology should be similar to a 4x4x4 in theory).

MB

bitterplacebo

bitterplacebo

Awards
  • Established
I sat down with the 3x3x3 today and solved it for the first time. Only took me two hours to read, understand, and apply the method you linked.

The face colors of my cube are pretty terrible, though:

white, reflective silver, light gray, medium gray, dark gray, black

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
Yeah... sounds like a strange combo. Congrats though! Soon you'll start timing yourself, LOL :)

MB

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
You can get stickers at the official rubik's site (google).

Also, the Even cubes (with the exception of the 2x2x2) are "harder" to solve because you must create and orient the centers properly. The Odd cubes (3x3x3 and 5x5x5) have the centers set and immobile.

MB

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
My sisters x boyfriend can do them realy fast over and over.He showed me that he gets them to make a cross,and then goes from there.He says the cross takes a little work sometimes,but after that it's nothing.

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
For me the hardest part is the one right after the cross, it just seems the most tedious, that or getting the top corners right. those two parts are the hardest (on the 3x3x3).

On the 4x4x4 the only hard part for me are the times when I have to flip one edge in the last layer.

MB

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
You might be a bit off if you are working on solving the 4x4x4 while doing your cardio on a bike...

Not that I'm guilty... not at all :D

MB

shaddow

shaddow

Awards
  • Established
Man, I used to tear those things up when I was younger! Literally. I'd tear off the stickers and move them to different cubes so I could "solve" it. :D

I could fly through this one though:

I could solve it from any position in a matter of seconds.

I just realized they have a 12 panel one...

Interesting... I might have to get me one of them.

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
Cool stuff!

MB

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
I've got the 4x4x4 figured out... Now I guess I have to go on to 5x5x5.

I'll probably get an "Eastsheen" set since they are supposedly a LOT better made than the rubik's products.

V-CUBE

They are bringing out some really interesting (6x6x6 and 7x7x7) cubes soon, and have plans for an 11x11x11!

MB

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
I'm officially bored with my 4x4x4 :(

MB

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
Ok... I broke down and got me this as my belated birthday gift:
http://cgi.*********/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180229871398

Yeah... I've got the 3 and 4, but they are nowhere near the quality of these from what I've read. I'm probably going to donate these two to one of my cousins, he's got a hell of a brain, but a bit of a concentration problem. These seem right up his alley.

MB

vpower

vpower

Awards
  • Established
Man, I used to tear those things up when I was younger! Literally. I'd tear off the stickers and move them to different cubes so I could "solve" it. :D

I could fly through this one though:

I could solve it from any position in a matter of seconds.

I just realized they have a 12 panel one...

Interesting... I might have to get me one of them.

im actually diggin those..maybe i can give them a try..the rubiks cube kicks my as5 everytime..and its a 3x3x3 :(

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
Well, I've gone and become a bit addicted to speed cubing (I'm only looking to get my time under 1 minute honestly!). So I found a site that has a good step-by-step method to going faster. It just requires a bit of a re-learn from the above 3x3x3 method since you need to put your first solved "cross" on the bottom.

http://www.cubefreak.net/speedcubing.html

MB

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
Update:

I've recieved my 2x2x2 and 5x5x5 cubes (as well as higher-quality versions of the 3x3x3 and 4x4x4). I've used this method to solve the 5:
Solving the 5x5x5 (Professor) Cube

I'll probably move onto this one soon though:
solving the professor

If you can solve a 3 you can probably solve the 2 ;)

I've gone onto a totally different method for cubing, it is not as algorithm based as the previous ones.

I now use the roux method:
Introduction
except for the top corners, I'm still learning there (I use a 2 look place and then orient).

There is also another block to algorithm based method called the petrus (led me to the roux).
Rubik's Cube Solution

I've also found a page for a corners first method, but they look to be even more algorithm intense than the layer-by-layer (fridich) style solves above:
Rubik's Cube Solution Methods
go to the ortega and waterman solves.

yes I do like my 5x5x5 by the way :D

MB

shaddow

shaddow

Awards
  • Established
I'm jealous, man. I still confuse the hell out of myself on the 3x3x3. :frustrate

Well, I've gone and become a bit addicted to speed cubing (I'm only looking to get my time under 1 minute honestly!). So I found a site that has a good step-by-step method to going faster. It just requires a bit of a re-learn from the above 3x3x3 method since you need to put your first solved "cross" on the bottom.

Cubefreak | Speedcubing

MB
The Petrus Method is supposed to be the fastest way to solve the cube:

Rubik's Cube Solution

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
Yes, in theory it can be due to the fewest moves, but some of the moves and algorithms are very complicated (IMHO), I personally didn't really start to figure out the 3 until I had also messed with the 4. I'm not knocking any of the methods out there, I just find the roux to work the best for me :D

MB

shaddow

shaddow

Awards
  • Established
Do you find the roux method to be the easiest or just the "easiest fast" method? If it's the "easiest fast" method, do you know what the easiest method is? I'm not worried about times, I just wanna be able to say I can solve this thing, dammit. :)

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
For easiest (absolute least memorization):
http://www.its.caltech.edu/~leyanlo/cube_solution.pdf

is very very good.

if you want to get a bit more efficient/fast with not much more memorization go to:
Beginner Solution to the Rubik's Cube

I like her approach to last layer, but Leyan's approach has you flip the cube right after solving the cross, whereas Jasmine's has you flip the cube just for the last layer. Getting used to flipping the cube right after forming the cross is very important if you ever decide you want to go to a faster method :D

IMHO the Petrus and Roux methods require a bit more "thinking" whereas the corners first (not reccomended for an easy solve IMHO), and the cross first methods require a tiny bit more memorization of algorithms.

MB

shaddow

shaddow

Awards
  • Established
Sweet. I'll try this later. Reps to you, bro! :thumbsup:

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
No problem :D I'm now looking into yet other methods, one step of the roux method annoys the piss outta me... so I'm still searching :D

MB

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
Ok, I think I've found the best tutorial for someone if they are really serious about getting fast, or just "intuitive" on how to get the first two layers (F2L) done:

Part 1:
[nomedia="http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=k-xbcAMfWwM&feature=related"]YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.[/nomedia]

Part 2:
[nomedia="http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=4GxLM_dZqg4&feature=user"]YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.[/nomedia]

yes you need to know how to do the last layer as well. I'm sticking to a 4-look last layer (4LLL) for now (orient edges, permute corners, orient corners, permute edges). Once I get down to about a minute or so I'll start refining my last layer :D

MB

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
I have refined my 4LL to do the following:
Orient Edges
Orient Corners
Permute Corners
Permute Edges

I am using algorithms that I can use in both a 3-look and a 2-look last layer situation. If anyone is interested please let me know :D

MB

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
yes it does, it is going to be "simple" in theory, just will take a long long time to finish using a reduction (to 3x3x3) method i think.

MB

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
I've finally got the tutorial I want to write figured out in my head, it has (IMHO) the most optimal balance between memorization of fewest algorithms, ease of recognition, and speed capability. I'll work on getting it available for email/download for those who are interested.

MB