Family Tragedy

dinoiii

Featured Author
Awards
  • Established
In the last few years, many of you have gotten to know me really well. You have been with me through sickness, rough times, and good. Recently, I have had a more pertinent presence at AM. Tonight, I come to you with the most unfortunate news to date.

On Saturday morning, my family was struck with a significant crisis. In a botched robbery attempt my sister was attacked and beaten badly to a point that I have no true words to describe.

Her list of injuries and what have been done in the last 36 hours are as follows [I beg that if you are sensitive, this may come across as highly sensitive material, and you may opt to leave this thread immediately]:

[1] 20-30cm laceration above the right eyebrow (relatively successful orofacial surgery yesterday morning) after being struck in the head with a brick

[2] Strangulation (she is currently on a respirator - we won't know the brevity of such injuries until she comes off)

[3] 3 broken ribs

[4] Ruptured Spleen (it was removed yesterday)

[5] Laceration to her liver (it was sutured up yesterday)

[6] Intestinal Trauma (aflicted bowel has been resected)

[7] Pinpoint bleeding to her brain (which were present on 1st CT scan, but no visually apparent on 2nd)

[8] Unsure about broken facial bones due to the astronomical swelling of the face - we will know more as she becomes more stable and the swelling dissipates.

* We'll know a bit more when the induced comatose state is taken away and we can judge whether or not she will breathe on her own.

As far as the invesigation is concerned. We don't know a lot and little by little things are being pieced together. Forensics will know more as fingerprints were taken from the neck area and DNA is being examined from beneath the fingernails.

What this means? Many of you have sent questions that may take a bit longer to get answers to considering. I ask that you not lose hope in me and, while I will still be present...right now is a time I have to be strong for my family (my mother is an absolute wreck as you can probably imagine).

What I am asking of you? Please just keep us in your thoughts and prayers. My sister is fighting for her life and I can only pray for a positive outcome.

While this always seems to be so far away from your family, I cannot express the sheer horror when it hits home. It seems like some horror story you'd read from another person's family, perhaps...but not your own (very surreal). Stay safe and keep your loved ones very close.

Thank you all for listening and your prayers and understanding in advance,
D_

LiftNDestroy

LiftNDestroy

Awards
  • Established
Praying for you and your family. Justice shall be served!

nelix

Awards
  • Established
I have had a similar experience with my partner, that was a very rough time, I hope you have all the support you need, and I know your fans and friends here will offer any support they can.

warnerve

Awards
  • Established
will be praying for you...best of luck

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Dinoiii I assure you she'll be in my prayers. I wish you and your family the best in dealing with this terrible incident buddy.

gotripped

gotripped

Banned
Awards
  • Established
praying for you, your family and your sisters recovery.

It's time to catch some scum and whip some a$$.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
That's just horrible man. I hope everything works out how it should, a full recovery for her, and the bastard(s) that did this in prison for life. Stay positive, it's all you can do.

BabyHulk

BabyHulk

Awards
  • Established
You and yours are in my prayers. I hope that justice can be had for you, your sister and family. God Bless.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Sorry to hear about the devastating news :( I hope your sister gets better, she doesn't deserve this and your family doesn't deserve to go through this ordeal.

Whoever did this is a barbaric piece of **** ! I hope the animal(s) who did this get what they deserve !

matthew76

matthew76

Banned
Awards
  • Established
You and your family will be in my prayers.

I hope you may find enough peace to rest so that you may be strong for your family and your sister.

The Lord heals.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Things happen for a reason and there is always a plan for us all, my heart goes out to your sister and the rest of your family. Stay strong and show her how much you love her, that will keep her fighting to get stronger.

Where did this happen?

TheUnlikelyToad

TheUnlikelyToad

Awards
  • Established
I'm terribly sorry to hear this Dana. Many times we seem to forget just how fragile life can be and it's unfortunate it takes something of this significance to put your priorities in check.

I'll be praying for both you and your family. You are more than welcome to call me at anytime if you need someone to talk to.

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
That is terrible. I hope she heals completely and quickly. Whoever does this deserves to be beaten as well. We like in a rapidly declining society.

My thoughts are with you!

MTNMEDIC

Thats just disgusting ! so sorry to hear about that bra, my thoughts and prayers for your sister.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Praying for the best possible outcome for your sister and family. Stay strong. I'm certain all will understand completely if their petty questions about fitness and supplements go unanswered for a while.

b unit

b unit

Awards
  • Established
wishing you and your family the very best outcome possible

Bionic

Bionic

Awards
  • Established
Your family will be in my prayers, as well. It will take time but I'm confident in Jesus' name that her wounds will heal.

BIGG DOGG

BIGG DOGG

Awards
  • Established
My prayers will be with you...keep your head up...

Hurleyboy05

Hurleyboy05

Awards
  • Established
Stick it out, and keep your head clear. She'll need that from you. Thoughts & prayers!

dinoiii

Featured Author
Awards
  • Established
WOW! What an amazing response between emails, PMs, thread posts on DA, LB, AM, AX and BB. Over 1000 e-cards/etc... is an awesome thing in light of how busy I realize everyone's lives are - and taking a minute out of each of your days means a lot! Words cannot begin to express what level of gratitiude I am offering.

An update:

[1] SISTER: Sister is off Bolt Monitor and being weaned off sedation currently. The next few days will be rather tell-tale as we see how willing she is to breathe without the respirator. Holding off on another MRI to evaluate brain bleeding, etc... to continue monitoring neurologic function for a bit. Her response has been less-than-stellar coming off the meds. Facial swelling is down a LOT so we'll be able to get some kind of images to see whether or not there are any facial bone fractures. Once the medically-induced coma has been completely released, we'll get better judgement on brain function - this next week or so will be rather tell-tale.

[2] INVESTIGATION: Someone actually saw the guy who did it apparently, though details of it are rather fuzzy as he was wearing a hood and took off, however - the witness is responsible for the prompt treatment and, at present, my sister still being alive. DNA from sister's fingernails will still take up to 4 weeks, though there was a fingerprint taken from my sister's neck. To all those that questioned how come I have not actively sought out this man...I have about as much clue as to where to begin looking and this seems slightly fruitless without leads and considering what is happening on scene at the hospital (which is and should be my primary concern). Life has been literally turned upside down the last 3 days and there is likely a very important week ahead on the medical side of things. Not to mention that my mother is completely broken down and the best thing I can do is offer support at present. Absence of vigilance does NOT make me a "better" man, currently just a smart one.

Once again, I thank everyone who took the time to make comments and will keep everyone posted as her condition progresses (unfortunately, prepared for either direction right now).

D_

Dr Packenwood

Dr Packenwood

Awards
  • Established
Not to take away from your sister, but I hope there's an accident when the cops arrest this guy and he ends up dead.

I have no patience for thugs like that.

I don't know you, but I hope your sister recovers quickly.

bound

bound

Awards
  • Established
I'm praying for you and your family.

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
Not to take away from your sister, but I hope there's an accident when the cops arrest this guy and he ends up dead.

Indeed. If any man laid a finger on my sister, he would be at immediate risk if I caught him on the street, but we must remember that God in His sovereign wisdom has allowed this to occur for a reason. What will be most crucial is her psychological resolution of this matter, which retaliation can not accomplish. Only her release of the offense though true, undeserved forgiveness can restore peace in her life. Ultimately, that is what will make all the difference in this matter. People that can't release there pain and bitterness become very unhealthy over time. Just ask my ex!

My prayers are certainly with your sister, you, and your family D. I'm sure your extensive medical insights, brotherly concerns and prayer will benefit her to a high degree of recovery.

dinoiii

Featured Author
Awards
  • Established
I hear you Dr.D, but you know it is hard with today's Breaking News:

Last evening, we were told that a "significant lead" came in regarding the assailant though we weren't told anything more "for our safety."

I could only think to myself is that our safety or his?

D_

t3stxlr4titud

t3stxlr4titud

Awards
  • Established

I share the same sediments with you doctor.

And although I might know dinoiii, I respect human life, and such a tragedy can reach any of us or our family members at any time. My heart and prayers go out to your family dinoiii.

-TF

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Im sorry to hear this dinoiii, i will put her and your family in my prayers tonight.

justdoit

Awards
you, your sister and your whole family would be included in my prayers.. stay strong..

Brian5225

Brian5225

Awards
  • Established
I am so sorry to hear what happened Dr. Houser... It's ridiculous what this world has come to... You all will certainly be in my thoughts and prayers, I hope only the best for you all.. Your sister is very lucky that she has you there.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
What's the word, Dinoii? Any news to share with us, hopefully good news?

dinoiii

Featured Author
Awards
  • Established
I must thank you all for the continued support and such.

Not a lot to report in the way of significant changes.

We are at Day 8; she has not handled coming out of the medically-induced comatose state as of yet despite a few attempts. She is responsive to painful stimuli though no response to verbal cues has been noted.

A trach tube has been considered to bypass gag reflex from respirator at 14 days (but the decision will be forthcoming). NGT will be replaced with a feeding tube at that time.

Since the swelling has gone down in her face, the liklihood of broken facial bones is heightened, but we have had no real opportunity to get great imaging studies done to date.

Potential hospital-acquired pneumonia has left her on a course of Zosyn (antibiotic) for a while though cultures were negative last time I checked with her doctor last evening.

We'll be back at the hospital in a few hours for some out-of-town family visiting. Should be another rough visit.

D_

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
man, i hope things get better before they get worse. Keep faith, if youre not a religous man, right now is a good time. Not that God should be an emergency call but prayer works. My heart goes out to her for you are my fellow board member and respected bb head.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I wish you and your sis the best, Dinoii. Take care and stay strong, try to stay positive bro.

dinoiii

Featured Author
Awards
  • Established
Again,

Continued thanks for everyone's thoughts and prayers.

Update:

Today was the first day that my sister opened her eyes on command. This is about as exciting a report as I can give from the medical side.

D_

Dozi

Awards
Oh my, my extreme condolences and hope for you and your family! Stay strong...and may justice be served

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
dinoiii, I don't know you and I can't possibly imagine what you're going through right now but I feel for you. It may be a small gesture but I think it's an amazing show of support from the community here to take pause and give your our heartfelt wishes and support. Be strong for your sister. I'm sure we'll be strong for you.

toughchick401

toughchick401

Awards
  • Established
Life is crazy here on the East Coast, but i saw this and wanted to say i am thinking of you, ((((HUGZ)))) to you and your family..................

Stay strong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TC

Goat

Awards
In the last few years, many of you have gotten to know me really well. You have been with me through sickness, rough times, and good. Recently, I have had a more pertinent presence at AM. Tonight, I come to you with the most unfortunate news to date.

D_
Stories like this is why I sleep with a gun at my bedside, one in my car, and forced my wife (through her tears) to learn to shoot it. Though she never complained after something similar to the story above happened in the park next to our house.

Such a shame. I hope the savages who did this are apprehended.

I am relieved to see that she is improving....that gotta feel great.

dinoiii

Featured Author
Awards
  • Established
Hello everyone,

Your continued concern is amazing!!!

I figured it was certainly time to re-update you all.

She has moved on to a neurology rehabilitation service and walked for the first time a couple weeks ago (21 days out from her incident) - this was well before expected.

One week later (a week before Super Bowl Sunday), she spoke her first words and even asked for me (although my jobs precluded me from being in attendance that particular day). She has been medicated on and off for pain (oxycodone) which leaves her in a very fuzzy state over half the time, so when I have gone there this week, she has been pretty out of it. Once again, a day I chose not to go due to other obligations (last night) - she asked for me again, so I am unsure if it is that she can still sense who's there in the room with her or what, but understand that my sister and I are VERY close so this may be slightly traumatic in many regards (I am at the hospital 9 of the last 11 days and she asked for me the two days I was not present).

Her complete memory has NOT returned (some retrograde amnesia present, which is NOT good when thinking about finding her assailant). In fact, the one other person she has repeatedly asked for is my grandmother (who passed away two years ago), so there will certainly be some work to do.

Once again, I do thank you for your continued support in this...

D_

MuscleGuyinNY

MuscleGuyinNY

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Are you and your family planning on hunting this motherfcuker down!?

I can't even begin to imagine what you're going through. I keep my family very close. My girlfriend as well. Anyone can say whatever they want about anybody, but once there are any words or acts of violence towards those closest to me, it's go-time. I literally black out and go crazy. I take such things to heart and they hurt.

The burglar(s) deserve to have their asses handed to them and then go to jail. Well, most likely prison in this case.

I wish you and your family the best. I really hope that your sister pulls through. I'm very sorry to hear about this. From the bottom of my heart. You and your family sound like very strong individuals and, with each other's support and love for one another, you'll make it through this.

Be sure to keep us updated! It took guts to share this. We're here for you, bro.

My mother lives in a town called Port Kent. It's more of an isolated neighborhood than a town. Anyways, I guess a couple of guys tried breaking into her neighbor's house, to rob them. One of the young boys was home by himself, heard a bunch of banging on the doors and windows, looked outside, and saw the burglars. He called the police and the police game, but of course the burglars took off. My mother and stepfather have bore two children together, being my half brother and half sister. They're 7 and 9. I worry about all of them. Port Kent has never had such problems, but several things have gone wrong there within the past year.

boxmeman

boxmeman

Awards
  • Established

On Saturday morning, my family was struck with a significant crisis. In a botched robbery attempt my sister was attacked and beaten badly to a point that I have no true words to describe.

Her list of injuries and what have been done in the last 36 hours are as follows [I beg that if you are sensitive, this may come across as highly sensitive material, and you may opt to leave this thread immediately]:

[1] 20-30cm laceration above the right eyebrow (relatively successful orofacial surgery yesterday morning) after being struck in the head with a brick

[2] Strangulation (she is currently on a respirator - we won't know the brevity of such injuries until she comes off)

[3] 3 broken ribs

[4] Ruptured Spleen (it was removed yesterday)

[5] Laceration to her liver (it was sutured up yesterday)

[6] Intestinal Trauma (aflicted bowel has been resected)

[7] Pinpoint bleeding to her brain (which were present on 1st CT scan, but no visually apparent on 2nd)

[8] Unsure about broken facial bones due to the astronomical swelling of the face - we will know more as she becomes more stable and the swelling dissipates.

* We'll know a bit more when the induced comatose state is taken away and we can judge whether or not she will breathe on her own.

As far as the invesigation is concerned. We don't know a lot and little by little things are being pieced together. Forensics will know more as fingerprints were taken from the neck area and DNA is being examined from beneath the fingernails.

What this means? Many of you have sent questions that may take a bit longer to get answers to considering. I ask that you not lose hope in me and, while I will still be present...right now is a time I have to be strong for my family (my mother is an absolute wreck as you can probably imagine).

What I am asking of you? Please just keep us in your thoughts and prayers. My sister is fighting for her life and I can only pray for a positive outcome.

While this always seems to be so far away from your family, I cannot express the sheer horror when it hits home. It seems like some horror story you'd read from another person's family, perhaps...but not your own (very surreal). Stay safe and keep your loved ones very close.

D_
speechless

MuscleGuyinNY

MuscleGuyinNY

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I hope the scumbags who did this get their asses handed to them, then get thrown in the slammer. I hope the other inmates are told that these assailants are women beaters. They'll be fcuked.

I'm keeping my eye on this thread. I'm here for you. I wish your family, especially your sister, the best. I have a younger sister of my own. I couldn't imagine dealing with what you are. My jaw literally dropped when I was reading this and I still can't believe something as unfortunate and sick as this has actually happened.

Let us all know if you need any help dealing with these pussies.

Stay strong!