Computer Problem

RedwolfWV

RedwolfWV

Awards
  • Established
This one has me scratchin my head. Its a Toshiba laptop (Satellite series, don't know the mod off the top of my head)

When I connect it to the cable modem, I can ping the router, ping outside the router, (yahoo.com, etc) and everything is fine. It sees other computers on the local network.

When I run IPCONFIG it shows the proper configuration of the NIC card. DNS, IP add, gateway, subnet mask are all good.

When I fire up the browser, It can not find ANY page. Nothing I type in is valid, even if I type in the IP addy. I have re-installed IE, and put in Mozilla. Same problem with both.

I have rebuilt the IP stack twice. (using the netsh ip something command) I have deleted out the NIC card, and let windows re-install it. I've let windows "repair the connection" even though its not broke.

I have done a IPCONFIG /release and it works. When I do an IPCONFIG /renew it works.

I'm really at a loss here. I'd be grateful for any suggestions!

Thanks!

bitterplacebo

bitterplacebo

Awards
  • Established
I remember having some problems similar to you and also spent a lot of time trying to figure it out.

It sounds like all your networking is fine, but since browsers do not work, your issue must be something with that software.

For me, it was that the browsers were in that "work offline" mode for some reason.

Have you checked that yet? Re-installation might not fix it if configuration files are left across installs.

RedwolfWV

RedwolfWV

Awards
  • Established
Thanks man, checked that and they are set to work online. I did discover that the ICS service wont start...... Says access denied when I try to manually start it.

Edit: All dependancies are started... *Scratches head*

tattoopierced1

sounds like a possible infection... have you checked the hosts file for anything suspicious?

RedwolfWV

RedwolfWV

Awards
  • Established
No I didn't. I'll check that. I did remove about 200 pieces of spyware using spybot and ad-aware. Also installed AVG, but it found no viruses.

Checking hosts file now......

bitterplacebo

bitterplacebo

Awards
  • Established
I don't think you need ICS. Are other computers using this on the network?

Checking the hosts is a good idea. You can do some screwy things to how people see the internet from there.

RedwolfWV

RedwolfWV

Awards
  • Established
This one is normally hooked directly to the cable modem at my customers site. I've got it connected to my switch here at home. (I did try it directly on my cable modem with exactly the same problem)

RedwolfWV

RedwolfWV

Awards
  • Established
Nothing in the hosts file. Its the standard one with all the microsoft statements in it remmed out.

bitterplacebo

bitterplacebo

Awards
  • Established
what does it tell you when you try to navigate to a website, just "problem loading page" or something like that?

another thing to check is firewall settings, or if you have special port forwarding on the router

RedwolfWV

RedwolfWV

Awards
  • Established
we don't have a firewall set up, and the firewall on the local computer wont start because ICS wont start :(

Browser says "Internet Explorer Cannot Display the Webpage"

Strange thing is, at the bottom of the browser, I can see it find the page and show the dns numbers even. Tried typing in the DNS as the website, no joy.

RedwolfWV

RedwolfWV

Awards
  • Established
Well, I'm gonna go to the gym and think about it... LOL. Customer cant find his restore disk.. doesn't that figgure! Thanks for the help guys. Any other ideas are greatly appreciated

neoborn

neoborn

Awards
  • Established
sounds like a possible infection... have you checked the hosts file for anything suspicious?
X2

I would:

1. Run Adaware 2007 free
2. Spybot
3. Check out "Autoruns" google it
4. Also Process explorer by googling
5. You can also check your startup stuff with Hijack this.

It's most likely a process running with the .exe hiding in the system32 folder of windows.

Amor Est Vitae Essentia,

Neoborn

neoborn

neoborn

Awards
  • Established
It IS an infection. Just so you know. If you want to run Hijack this and save the log / email me it I'll take a look for you and can tell you what to remove.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well, I'm gonna go to the gym and think about it... LOL. Customer cant find his restore disk.. doesn't that figgure! Thanks for the help guys. Any other ideas are greatly appreciated
If they can't find the restore disk most pcs these days come with a hidden service partition...Toshiba Satalite?...

I searched on the Toshiba site and found this, not sure it applies to your specific model but most laptops and pcs have a service partition these days, but they are all accessed differently, Scroll down to "Using the Toshiba HDD Recovery Utility from the recovery partition"

http://askiris.toshiba.com/ToshibaSupportSite/dynamickc.do?externalId=806477xml&sliceId=&command=show&forward=nonthreadedKC&kcId=806477xml

RedwolfWV

RedwolfWV

Awards
  • Established
Back from the gym (had a great leg workout!) Just for ****s and grins I did a winsock reset. Everything works now. Thanks for all the help guys. I think the spyware corrupted winsock. Still running diags, but looks ok now.

bitterplacebo

bitterplacebo

Awards
  • Established
bah, windows!
glad to hear it's working, though