ipod video

  1. ipod video


    Does anyone else have an ipod video ?

    I have an 80G ipod video, however when I plug it in itunes displays '76.7 G', for available storage.


    So either the capacity that is being advertised is wrong (80 G) or there is some filler programs in there taking up the space ?


    Anyone ?


  2. Probably the OS hogging resources

  3. 4G is quite a bit.
    •   
       


  4. 4gig is indeed a lot but it is probably the software that's on their as someone noted above. Sad to say but thats how it is with all Ipods.

  5. I see people workout with their ipod videos and I cringe.

    Not only are the ipod videos expensive, but they are essentially a hard drive that is being jarred around like that on ppls arms/waist.

    I have a shuffle I use for working out, so I don't have to use the video.

  6. As with any HDD, formatting takes up space. This is on top of the OS that would be included on your ipod. You will never have the advertised memory available on a fresh HDD.

  7. If you take off all of the preloaded games you can get some of your space back, but besides that, it's the OS.

  8. Quote Originally Posted by ReaperX View Post
    Does anyone else have an ipod video ?

    I have an 80G ipod video, however when I plug it in itunes displays '76.7 G', for available storage.


    So either the capacity that is being advertised is wrong (80 G) or there is some filler programs in there taking up the space ?


    Anyone ?
    You are complaining about losing about 4% after formatting? Thats better than most drives.

    Its not the OS that takes up the space, its drive formatting.
    In hard drive terms 1000 bytes = 1 kilobyte. In computer terms 1024 bytes = 1 kilobyte. 1024 kilobytes because formatting the drive for use by PC's requires this. This is about 2% loss. As the drive gets bigger, more information is needed for formatting so the bigger the drive the more you will lose. A gigabyte = 1 trillion bytes to a drive manufacturer but 1,073,741,824 bytes to the PC. This is about 7% loss.

  9. Quote Originally Posted by CNorris View Post
    You are complaining about losing about 4% after formatting? Thats better than most drives.

    Its not the OS that takes up the space, its drive formatting.
    In hard drive terms 1000 bytes = 1 kilobyte. In computer terms 1024 bytes = 1 kilobyte. 1024 kilobytes because formatting the drive for use by PC's requires this. This is about 2% loss. As the drive gets bigger, more information is needed for formatting so the bigger the drive the more you will lose. A gigabyte = 1 trillion bytes to a drive manufacturer but 1,073,741,824 bytes to the PC. This is about 7% loss.
    What if Apple just made the ipods factory 84.6G that way after formatting I can have 80G ?

  10. I feel greatly decieved.

  11. Quote Originally Posted by ReaperX View Post
    What if Apple just made the ipods factory 84.6G that way after formatting I can have 80G ?
    Then they would be cool. Too bad no one is going to do that until a class action suit is won by customers.

    I just got a 750 GB hard drive and after formatting it was 700.

  12. Quote Originally Posted by CNorris View Post
    Then they would be cool. Too bad no one is going to do that until a class action suit is won by customers.

    I just got a 750 GB hard drive and after formatting it was 700.
    Can you explain how formatting takes up so much room again ? The conversion is different between what we understand and what the computer 'actually uses' ?

  13. Quote Originally Posted by ReaperX View Post
    Can you explain how formatting takes up so much room again ? The conversion is different between what we understand and what the computer 'actually uses' ?
    I dont understand formatting but my understanding is a kilobyte is defined as 1024 bytes, megabyte is 1024^2 byes, gigabyte is 1024^3 bytes.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gigabyte
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Video IPod Users:
    By Mulletsoldier in forum General Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-06-2008, 01:28 PM
  2. Enter the Matrix the Video Game for PS2!!!!!!!
    By windwords7 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-02-2003, 10:23 PM
  3. ATTN MOO'S (J/K): Hosting videos
    By Matt T in forum General Chat
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-19-2003, 04:37 PM
  4. Webspace so everyone can see the videos
    By LakeMountD in forum General Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-28-2003, 10:10 PM
  5. My new video card!
    By windwords7 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 02-15-2003, 01:57 AM
Log in
Log in