Do strength/muscle size go hand in hand ?

  1. Do strength/muscle size go hand in hand ?


    I was browsing another thread and there was the poll do you lift for strength or asthetics ? People said both. Then there was another thread where someone stated something along the lines of '50 reps with 25lbs dumbbells' and does not get stronger, but just has large muscles.


    I was always under the impression in order to get bigger muscles, you lift heavier weights progressively which is a result of an increase in strength. This has been my expierence anyway.


    Is there a possible way to completely ignore strength and manipulate workout exercises in such a fashion (dropsets, supersets, reps variation, etc) so you can actually build muscle without increasing strength (too much that is).

    For example having big arms while only using max 30lb dumbbells if not lighter while constantly manipulating workouts ? From my own expierence, it seems to cap off at a certain point where the weight must be heavier in order to induce muscle growth. (Not just arms exclusively, but all muscles in general).


  2. No it does not.

    And it is not just about weight, but stimuli.

    However, when lifting for strength rep ranges fall between 1-6
    Lifting for Hypertrophy rep ranges fall between 8-12
    Endurance 15-20.

  3. Quote Originally Posted by xjsynx View Post
    No it does not.

    And it is not just about weight, but stimuli.

    However, when lifting for strength rep ranges fall between 1-6
    Lifting for Hypertrophy rep ranges fall between 8-12
    Endurance 15-20.
    Strictly speaking in the sense of musclebuilding. I find it hard to believe you can curl 25lb dumbbells for 1 year and get an increase in bicep size.
    •   
       


  4. Not directly, no...some people have a very dense fiber distribution - meaning they are very hard but not huge. There is also a neurological/nerve component (aka mind/muscle connection) that is critical for strength...think of it as communication efficiency - like gold plated electrical contacts reducing resistance and noise.
    Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    Flawless Skin Couture - We give you the tools to make you Flawless

  5. Quote Originally Posted by dsade View Post
    Not directly, no...some people have a very dense fiber distribution - meaning they are very hard but not huge. There is also a neurological/nerve component (aka mind/muscle connection) that is critical for strength...think of it as communication efficiency - like gold plated electrical contacts reducing resistance and noise.


    So it is possible then to only use 25lbs dumbbells among other bicep exercises similar in weight for an extended period of time and still put on muscle mass ?

  6. I'm getting bigger and i don't necessarily lift huge. Now I don't stay at the same weight for a YEAR. Sometimes I'll lift heavier for a few weeks, others I'll lift lower weight with more reps.

  7. Quote Originally Posted by ReaperX View Post


    So it is possible then to only use 25lbs dumbbells among other bicep exercises similar in weight for an extended period of time and still put on muscle mass ?
    It's possible, but you will reach an upper limit...more like it is possible to end up curling 55s and still stay around 160.
    Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    Flawless Skin Couture - We give you the tools to make you Flawless

  8. Quote Originally Posted by dsade View Post
    It's possible, but you will reach an upper limit...more like it is possible to end up curling 55s and still stay around 160.
    This is kinda what I was getting at. With any weight there will be some type of cap off before you start having to lift heavier (strength).

    My question is strictly through alteration of exercise techniques to build muscle without changing the weight (hence the 1 year to emphasize the importance of a technique vs. weight increase/strength).

    If you periodically increase weight due to a cap off, I would attribute the correlation to strength/muscle building as going 'hand in hand'.

  9. Quote Originally Posted by ReaperX View Post
    This is kinda what I was getting at. With any weight there will be some type of cap off before you start having to lift heavier (strength).

    My question is strictly through alteration of exercise techniques to build muscle without changing the weight (hence the 1 year to emphasize the importance of a technique vs. weight increase/strength).

    If you periodically increase weight due to a cap off, I would attribute the correlation to strength/muscle building as going 'hand in hand'.
    Absolutely.
    Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    Flawless Skin Couture - We give you the tools to make you Flawless

  10. No, it does not. I am stronger now at 170 than I was at 205. The difference is that I train for strength rather than hypertrophy. My volume is less and so are my rep ranges (for the most part).
    M.Ed. Ex Phys


  11. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    No, it does not. I am stronger now at 170 than I was at 205. The difference is that I train for strength rather than hypertrophy. My volume is less and so are my rep ranges (for the most part).
    Rodja...are you doing explosive puling (curling, chinning, etc) movements at all with heavier weights?

    Sort of like a plyometric angle on upper body strength.
    Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    Flawless Skin Couture - We give you the tools to make you Flawless

  12. Quote Originally Posted by dsade View Post
    Rodja...are you doing explosive puling (curling, chinning, etc) movements at all with heavier weights?

    Sort of like a plyometric angle on upper body strength.
    I integrate dynamic pushing and pull in my routine. My Thursday weight session is geared towards power with low rep sets (3-5) with 20-30 seconds rest. I also do either cleans or DB snatches on that day.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys


  13. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    I integrate dynamic pushing and pull in my routine. My Thursday weight session is geared towards power with low rep sets (3-5) with 20-30 seconds rest. I also do either cleans or DB snatches on that day.
    I am playing with incorporating this, in preparation for undertaking Martial Arts again... are you noticing anything as far as your combat effectiveness goes? Easier takedowns/escapes?
    Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    Flawless Skin Couture - We give you the tools to make you Flawless

  14. Quote Originally Posted by dsade View Post
    I am playing with incorporating this, in preparation for undertaking Martial Arts again... are you noticing anything as far as your combat effectiveness goes? Easier takedowns/escapes?
    It helps with striking and it really helps with escaping side-mount. Focusing on hip power for years is something that I owe a lot to as well. Strong hip flexors are one of the most important parts of a good double-leg takedown.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys


  15. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    It helps with striking and it really helps with escaping side-mount. Focusing on hip power for years is something that I owe a lot to as well. Strong hip flexors are one of the most important parts of a good double-leg takedown.
    More explosive velocity?
    Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    Flawless Skin Couture - We give you the tools to make you Flawless

  16. Quote Originally Posted by dsade View Post
    More explosive velocity?
    Somewhat-it's more along the lines of countering my loss of size by creating more acceleration to-and-through the point of impact. Dynamic step-ups and reverse lunges are great for developing this.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys


  17. Quote Originally Posted by ReaperX View Post
    This is kinda what I was getting at. With any weight there will be some type of cap off before you start having to lift heavier (strength).

    My question is strictly through alteration of exercise techniques to build muscle without changing the weight (hence the 1 year to emphasize the importance of a technique vs. weight increase/strength).

    If you periodically increase weight due to a cap off, I would attribute the correlation to strength/muscle building as going 'hand in hand'.
    The so called 'cap off' is your body adapting to the stress.

    Then your body becomes very effective at recruiting less fibers to getting the job done.

    A lot of people neglect their CNS when it comes to weight training.

  18. In addendum

    I post a lot of detailed information in this thread: While the boss is away............Thread
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Mental Health And Vitamin B12 Go Hand In Hand
    By David Dunn in forum Supplements
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-12-2009, 07:48 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-05-2005, 06:02 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-16-2004, 11:57 AM
  4. Numbness in Hand?
    By smike319 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-06-2003, 05:35 PM
  5. Numbness in Hand?
    By smike319 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-06-2003, 01:17 PM
Log in
Log in