Do strength/muscle size go hand in hand ?

  1. Registered User
    ReaperX's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  .5 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    7
    Posts
    6,489
    Rep Power
    33340

    Do strength/muscle size go hand in hand ?


    I was browsing another thread and there was the poll do you lift for strength or asthetics ? People said both. Then there was another thread where someone stated something along the lines of '50 reps with 25lbs dumbbells' and does not get stronger, but just has large muscles.


    I was always under the impression in order to get bigger muscles, you lift heavier weights progressively which is a result of an increase in strength. This has been my expierence anyway.


    Is there a possible way to completely ignore strength and manipulate workout exercises in such a fashion (dropsets, supersets, reps variation, etc) so you can actually build muscle without increasing strength (too much that is).

    For example having big arms while only using max 30lb dumbbells if not lighter while constantly manipulating workouts ? From my own expierence, it seems to cap off at a certain point where the weight must be heavier in order to induce muscle growth. (Not just arms exclusively, but all muscles in general).

  2. Registered User
    xjsynx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    94
    Rep Power
    174

    No it does not.

    And it is not just about weight, but stimuli.

    However, when lifting for strength rep ranges fall between 1-6
    Lifting for Hypertrophy rep ranges fall between 8-12
    Endurance 15-20.
  3. Registered User
    ReaperX's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  .5 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    7
    Posts
    6,489
    Rep Power
    33340

    Quote Originally Posted by xjsynx View Post
    No it does not.

    And it is not just about weight, but stimuli.

    However, when lifting for strength rep ranges fall between 1-6
    Lifting for Hypertrophy rep ranges fall between 8-12
    Endurance 15-20.
    Strictly speaking in the sense of musclebuilding. I find it hard to believe you can curl 25lb dumbbells for 1 year and get an increase in bicep size.
    •   
       

  4. NutraPlanet Fanatic
    Board Sponsor
    dsade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Ohio
    Age
    43
    Posts
    21,303
    Rep Power
    755325

    Not directly, no...some people have a very dense fiber distribution - meaning they are very hard but not huge. There is also a neurological/nerve component (aka mind/muscle connection) that is critical for strength...think of it as communication efficiency - like gold plated electrical contacts reducing resistance and noise.
    Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    BPS - Where Body meets Performance
    Flawless Skin Couture - We give you the tools to make you Flawless
  5. Registered User
    ReaperX's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  .5 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    7
    Posts
    6,489
    Rep Power
    33340

    Quote Originally Posted by dsade View Post
    Not directly, no...some people have a very dense fiber distribution - meaning they are very hard but not huge. There is also a neurological/nerve component (aka mind/muscle connection) that is critical for strength...think of it as communication efficiency - like gold plated electrical contacts reducing resistance and noise.


    So it is possible then to only use 25lbs dumbbells among other bicep exercises similar in weight for an extended period of time and still put on muscle mass ?
  6. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    crader's Avatar
    Stats
    5'3"  126 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Age
    40
    Posts
    7,259
    Rep Power
    51552

    I'm getting bigger and i don't necessarily lift huge. Now I don't stay at the same weight for a YEAR. Sometimes I'll lift heavier for a few weeks, others I'll lift lower weight with more reps.
  7. NutraPlanet Fanatic
    Board Sponsor
    dsade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Ohio
    Age
    43
    Posts
    21,303
    Rep Power
    755325

    Quote Originally Posted by ReaperX View Post


    So it is possible then to only use 25lbs dumbbells among other bicep exercises similar in weight for an extended period of time and still put on muscle mass ?
    It's possible, but you will reach an upper limit...more like it is possible to end up curling 55s and still stay around 160.
    Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    BPS - Where Body meets Performance
    Flawless Skin Couture - We give you the tools to make you Flawless
  8. Registered User
    ReaperX's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  .5 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    7
    Posts
    6,489
    Rep Power
    33340

    Quote Originally Posted by dsade View Post
    It's possible, but you will reach an upper limit...more like it is possible to end up curling 55s and still stay around 160.
    This is kinda what I was getting at. With any weight there will be some type of cap off before you start having to lift heavier (strength).

    My question is strictly through alteration of exercise techniques to build muscle without changing the weight (hence the 1 year to emphasize the importance of a technique vs. weight increase/strength).

    If you periodically increase weight due to a cap off, I would attribute the correlation to strength/muscle building as going 'hand in hand'.
  9. NutraPlanet Fanatic
    Board Sponsor
    dsade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Ohio
    Age
    43
    Posts
    21,303
    Rep Power
    755325

    Quote Originally Posted by ReaperX View Post
    This is kinda what I was getting at. With any weight there will be some type of cap off before you start having to lift heavier (strength).

    My question is strictly through alteration of exercise techniques to build muscle without changing the weight (hence the 1 year to emphasize the importance of a technique vs. weight increase/strength).

    If you periodically increase weight due to a cap off, I would attribute the correlation to strength/muscle building as going 'hand in hand'.
    Absolutely.
    Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    BPS - Where Body meets Performance
    Flawless Skin Couture - We give you the tools to make you Flawless
  10. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,077
    Rep Power
    918000

    No, it does not. I am stronger now at 170 than I was at 205. The difference is that I train for strength rather than hypertrophy. My volume is less and so are my rep ranges (for the most part).
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  11. NutraPlanet Fanatic
    Board Sponsor
    dsade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Ohio
    Age
    43
    Posts
    21,303
    Rep Power
    755325

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    No, it does not. I am stronger now at 170 than I was at 205. The difference is that I train for strength rather than hypertrophy. My volume is less and so are my rep ranges (for the most part).
    Rodja...are you doing explosive puling (curling, chinning, etc) movements at all with heavier weights?

    Sort of like a plyometric angle on upper body strength.
    Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    BPS - Where Body meets Performance
    Flawless Skin Couture - We give you the tools to make you Flawless
  12. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,077
    Rep Power
    918000

    Quote Originally Posted by dsade View Post
    Rodja...are you doing explosive puling (curling, chinning, etc) movements at all with heavier weights?

    Sort of like a plyometric angle on upper body strength.
    I integrate dynamic pushing and pull in my routine. My Thursday weight session is geared towards power with low rep sets (3-5) with 20-30 seconds rest. I also do either cleans or DB snatches on that day.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  13. NutraPlanet Fanatic
    Board Sponsor
    dsade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Ohio
    Age
    43
    Posts
    21,303
    Rep Power
    755325

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    I integrate dynamic pushing and pull in my routine. My Thursday weight session is geared towards power with low rep sets (3-5) with 20-30 seconds rest. I also do either cleans or DB snatches on that day.
    I am playing with incorporating this, in preparation for undertaking Martial Arts again... are you noticing anything as far as your combat effectiveness goes? Easier takedowns/escapes?
    Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    BPS - Where Body meets Performance
    Flawless Skin Couture - We give you the tools to make you Flawless
  14. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,077
    Rep Power
    918000

    Quote Originally Posted by dsade View Post
    I am playing with incorporating this, in preparation for undertaking Martial Arts again... are you noticing anything as far as your combat effectiveness goes? Easier takedowns/escapes?
    It helps with striking and it really helps with escaping side-mount. Focusing on hip power for years is something that I owe a lot to as well. Strong hip flexors are one of the most important parts of a good double-leg takedown.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  15. NutraPlanet Fanatic
    Board Sponsor
    dsade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Ohio
    Age
    43
    Posts
    21,303
    Rep Power
    755325

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    It helps with striking and it really helps with escaping side-mount. Focusing on hip power for years is something that I owe a lot to as well. Strong hip flexors are one of the most important parts of a good double-leg takedown.
    More explosive velocity?
    Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    BPS - Where Body meets Performance
    Flawless Skin Couture - We give you the tools to make you Flawless
  16. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,077
    Rep Power
    918000

    Quote Originally Posted by dsade View Post
    More explosive velocity?
    Somewhat-it's more along the lines of countering my loss of size by creating more acceleration to-and-through the point of impact. Dynamic step-ups and reverse lunges are great for developing this.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  17. Registered User
    xjsynx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    94
    Rep Power
    174

    Quote Originally Posted by ReaperX View Post
    This is kinda what I was getting at. With any weight there will be some type of cap off before you start having to lift heavier (strength).

    My question is strictly through alteration of exercise techniques to build muscle without changing the weight (hence the 1 year to emphasize the importance of a technique vs. weight increase/strength).

    If you periodically increase weight due to a cap off, I would attribute the correlation to strength/muscle building as going 'hand in hand'.
    The so called 'cap off' is your body adapting to the stress.

    Then your body becomes very effective at recruiting less fibers to getting the job done.

    A lot of people neglect their CNS when it comes to weight training.
  18. Registered User
    xjsynx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    94
    Rep Power
    174

    In addendum

    I post a lot of detailed information in this thread: While the boss is away............Thread
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Mental Health And Vitamin B12 Go Hand In Hand
    By David Dunn in forum Supplements
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-12-2009, 06:48 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-05-2005, 05:02 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-16-2004, 10:57 AM
  4. Numbness in Hand?
    By smike319 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-06-2003, 04:35 PM
  5. Numbness in Hand?
    By smike319 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-06-2003, 12:17 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in