Acupuncture

jbono731

jbono731

Awards
  • Established
What's up fellas? Just a random question. I have been thinking about acupuncture, kind of curious as to what it's like, and if it really works. Just wondering if anyone here on the board wants to share experiences good or bad so I can get an idea.

b unit

b unit

Awards
  • Established
i used in on a really bad lower back problem i had, worked awesome

I think it all depends on who's doing it, i had a chinese doctor who was trained using chinese medicine and chinese healing techniques, he knew his stuff and i would use this method again if need be.

cheers

dlew308

dlew308

Awards
  • Established
I used to do it to treat psoriasis, it didn't do anything for me tho except need to pee while resting there with needles all over me.
It works great for headaches. And those little needles do hurt esp if one pops up and needs to be screwed down more....ugh

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Mainly great for relaxing muscles and relieving pain. I really loved getting it once a week but haven't been able to afford it for some time. I'd recommend it to anyone with chronic muscular pain or stress...used to fall asleep on the table with needles all over me lol.

Wedgylx

Wedgylx

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Took some courses in alternative medicine and I definitely enjoyed this modality of healing.

Used it for a few things, mainly relaxation, loved it. VERY positive feedback from others in the course/that went to the clinic.

Give it a shot! Check with your insurance, some companies will cover parts

Cellardude

Cellardude

Awards
  • Established
My parents used this form of chinese healing. They used to visit this doctor in manhattan that specialized in chinese herbs/medicines. Anyway, the whole thing is similar to acupucture. They light up a piece of paper and turn over a cup. put the fire inside the cup and remove the paper. They then put like the glass cup thingy over the back. It does some sort of super suction to the skin. It's supposed to help back problems but it leaves those little round marks all over your back for a week.

jbono731

jbono731

Awards
  • Established
My parents used this form of chinese healing. They used to visit this doctor in manhattan that specialized in chinese herbs/medicines. Anyway, the whole thing is similar to acupucture. They light up a piece of paper and turn over a cup. put the fire inside the cup and remove the paper. They then put like the glass cup thingy over the back. It does some sort of super suction to the skin. It's supposed to help back problems but it leaves those little round marks all over your back for a week.
Haha that sounds like something to do in the winter so the shirt doesnt have to come off. How do they create the suction without breaking the seal to get the fire out?? And did it work for you?

jbono731

jbono731

Awards
  • Established
Just to clearify I am not having back 'pain' just sore and tight from the huge jump in intensity. Looking for something to help out.

b unit

b unit

Awards
  • Established
sounds like you need therapeutic massage, it works fantastic

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Pretty much no pain at all. Maybe one out of 20 needles will sting momentarily but the rewards far outweigh the momentary discomfort. Most of the needles you won't even feel as they tap them in.

b unit

b unit

Awards
  • Established
Whats the pain intensity on acupuncture?
pretty mild but there can be slight discomfort which is soon replaced by a nice warm feeling

i had chronic lower back pain brought about by lifting real heavy mixed with playing golf which really didn't help, i used to get needles placed into my siatic nerve that would send an electric shock through my entire body, the poor little chinese guy got to hear some good old fashion cursing when he'd hit the nerve but once it settled it felt really good and warm:thumbsup:

jbono731

jbono731

Awards
  • Established
Haha the little man must have been preaying he didnt get a donkey kick to the face :toofunny:

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
pretty mild but there can be slight discomfort which is soon replaced by a nice warm feeling

i had chronic lower back pain brought about by lifting real heavy mixed with playing golf which really didn't help, i used to get needles placed into my siatic nerve that would send an electric shock through my entire body, the poor little chinese guy got to hear some good old fashion cursing when he'd hit the nerve but once it settled it felt really good and warm:thumbsup:

Oh...shudder...I'm a big needle sissy. I'm thinking in my mind about IV's and epidurals:jaw:

kabuki

kabuki

Awards
  • Established
Mainly great for relaxing muscles and relieving pain. I really loved getting it once a week but haven't been able to afford it for some time. I'd recommend it to anyone with chronic muscular pain or stress...used to fall asleep on the table with needles all over me lol.
i always fall asleep. and i always have elctro-accupuncture done so i do that with my muscle contracting.

Works great for relieveing muscle tension and pain.

For my specific issues i ended up finding ART therapy to be more effective.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I tend to agree that any sort of deep tissue is better for most skeletal muscular problems. The best of both worlds is to get loosened up with accupuncture THEN go get hammered on by a deep tissue or ART massuese. I did this with great results a few times.

Sunder

Sunder

Awards
  • Established
Always loved getting acupuncture - it's just the price that stopped me. I'm super energized after it.

kabuki

kabuki

Awards
  • Established
I tend to agree that any sort of deep tissue is better for most skeletal muscular problems. The best of both worlds is to get loosened up with accupuncture THEN go get hammered on by a deep tissue or ART massuese. I did this with great results a few times.
oohh. i might have to go try that. most everthing is cleared up except for my very dense medial tricep head. He is having a hell of a time getting into that one.

Cellardude

Cellardude

Awards
  • Established
Haha that sounds like something to do in the winter so the shirt doesnt have to come off. How do they create the suction without breaking the seal to get the fire out?? And did it work for you?
Ive never tried it, it helps alleviate some back problems and helps you feel better. The marks it leaves are quite nasty though. They go away tho. look up chinese suction in google. you'll see what I mean. they actually have kits where you can actually do it at home but you need a partner to help you. I remember my parents bought a kit and do it from time to time at home.

Wedgylx

Wedgylx

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I've had this done too, its not as relaxing as accupuncture and leaves hickey-looking marks haha

Wedgylx

Wedgylx

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Whats the pain intensity on acupuncture?
0 if the person knows what he/she is doing.

I got proficient enough myself where I can apply needles without any sensation at all.

you need to remember, even the THICKEST accupuncture needle is smaller than 1/20th the size of the SMALLEST needle they have in a doctors office.

Wedgylx

Wedgylx

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Not sure if any of you have had it - but my overall favorite form of alternative medicine has to be lymphatic drainage therapy. If you're sick and have this done, you feel like a MILLION BUCKS after.

Cellardude

Cellardude

Awards
  • Established
I've had this done too, its not as relaxing as accupuncture and leaves hickey-looking marks haha
it leaves marks as if your like have a form of disease. At least with all the markings together, but yeah the suction does cause a hickey like mark.

kabuki

kabuki

Awards
  • Established
Ive never tried it, it helps alleviate some back problems and helps you feel better. The marks it leaves are quite nasty though. They go away tho. look up chinese suction in google. you'll see what I mean. they actually have kits where you can actually do it at home but you need a partner to help you. I remember my parents bought a kit and do it from time to time at home.
are you talking about cupping?

my accupuncturist does this on my trouble areas.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
They even have a vaccuum pump now for cupping that exerts incredible suction and supposedly draws toxins out through the skin. I watched a video of it being done and black liquid did actually come up through the skin...and it was'nt just dark blood. Freaky.

matthew76

matthew76

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Acupuncture is a great way to relieve stress in and around the neck. I get it done atleast once a month because of bad migraines that seem to be a mystery to my DR's on why I get them... But damn - Migraines SUCK!!!!!

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Acupuncture is a great way to relieve stress in and around the neck. I get it done atleast once a month because of bad migraines that seem to be a mystery to my DR's on why I get them... But damn - Migraines SUCK!!!!!
Hmmm I have the same kind of migraines, dr's, er's , nobody has figured it out. Mine get better with muscle milk sometimes. I might have to try it. I've had headaches for weeks now:(

matthew76

matthew76

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Damn, I feel for you. I had a migraine last Friday that was so intense I had to take a double dose of Imatrex.

I've been through so many test to try and figure out why I get them, but to no avail... makes me question te education of some DR's truthfully.

Hmmm I have the same kind of migraines, dr's, er's , nobody has figured it out. Mine get better with muscle milk sometimes. I might have to try it. I've had headaches for weeks now:(

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Damn, I feel for you. I had a migraine last Friday that was so intense I had to take a double dose of Imatrex.

I've been through so many test to try and figure out why I get them, but to no avail... makes me question te education of some DR's truthfully.
Yep same here. The MRI's, cat scans etc. I drew the line at the spinal tap that they said would back up the Cat scan and would catch a small chance of errors from the other tests.

The ER is the worst, sitting there 3 hours with iv's and meds that make you feel like your having panic attacks. I'm learning to live with mine until they make me sick.

matthew76

matthew76

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Hell yeah - I nearly punched my doctor right in his mouth for just mentioning the word, "Spinal Tap" - Bleh!

I cannot deal with mine, they're to the point where I feel dieing would be an option at the time. Luckily, my wife has learned how to care for me in those un-wanted times.

Yep same here. The MRI's, cat scans etc. I drew the line at the spinal tap that they said would back up the Cat scan and would catch a small chance of errors from the other tests.

The ER is the worst, sitting there 3 hours with iv's and meds that make you feel like your having panic attacks. I'm learning to live with mine until they make me sick.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Last time my wife was in the ER, I made the HUGE mistake of really inspecting the cleanliness of the place...ugh gawd. Blood droplets everywhere and it's one of the best hospitals in the state.

Wedgylx

Wedgylx

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I get bad migranes too - from sleeping on my stomach if you'd believe it.

I make a point to try to sleep on my back. Also it helps me to have my traps REALLY worked on. Tell Dsade to get some RK Lube and rub your traps up - both the "upper" sections on the tops of yoru shoulders as well as bordering your spine in your upper back. This works like a charm for me.

Wedgylx

Wedgylx

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Last time my wife was in the ER, I made the HUGE mistake of really inspecting the cleanliness of the place...ugh gawd. Blood droplets everywhere and it's one of the best hospitals in the state.
YEah its something you wish you didn't know lol.

Theres a reason why infection rates are so high in hospitals :sick:

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Hell yeah - I nearly punched my doctor right in his mouth for just mentioning the word, "Spinal Tap" - Bleh!

I cannot deal with mine, they're to the point where I feel dieing would be an option at the time. Luckily, my wife has learned how to care for me in those un-wanted times.
`Thats the way I feel except I have 3 kids that don't care if I'm dying or not. They still have homework and dinner..etc. But Yeah makes you want to throw up curl up and die.

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I get bad migranes too - from sleeping on my stomach if you'd believe it.

I make a point to try to sleep on my back. Also it helps me to have my traps REALLY worked on. Tell Dsade to get some RK Lube and rub your traps up - both the "upper" sections on the tops of yoru shoulders as well as bordering your spine in your upper back. This works like a charm for me.
You should pm him the advice..lol

Nabisco

Nabisco

Awards
  • Established
Im not sure if this would apply to any of you ladies or gents that are suffering through migraines...but do any of you wear contacts or glasses?

Because I've had two friends now who would get severe migraines have them pretty much disappear after having corrective laser eye surgery (i.e. LASIK). Not a proven fact, but like I said two friends have sworn thats what did it for them.

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Im not sure if this would apply to any of you ladies or gents that are suffering through migraines...but do any of you wear contacts or glasses?

Because I've had two friends now who would get severe migraines have them pretty much disappear after having corrective laser eye surgery (i.e. LASIK). Not a proven fact, but like I said two friends have sworn thats what did it for them.
Nope no glasses or contacts here. I'm just unlucky:(

Wedgylx

Wedgylx

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
You should pm him the advice..lol
LOL I think if I got a pm from somebody telling me how my wife likes her back rubbed, I'd start to get a little suspicious :duel:

bman

Awards
Hey guys and gals, I am a Acupuncturist and Chinese herbalist in NJ. I specialize in Sports medicine. Just moved from Miami where I was treating a variety of athletes and some pro body builders. Anyone in NJ needs helps come see me. Others I can answer questions here or P.M.

bman

Awards
Let me start by saying the needles are painless. They are the thickness of three human hairs. Aside from the Chinese theory the needles cause micro trauma and facilitate circulation and healing. The difference between getting a massage and Acupuncture is the needle is seen by the body as a foreign object and the body causes a chemical reaction to stimulate healing. Massage does not get the same response. (Body work is also included in Acupuncture) Some Acupuncturist may stimulate the needles more if needed to break up some muscular knots. It all depends on the person and the length of time they have had an injury. Usually we are the last Dr's that people see after nothing else works. Also if you really have some serious pain or a migraine then you would take any amount of pain to get rid of your problem. Body builder are notorious for "working through pain and injuries" and causing more damage and scar tissue. They make us work a little harder to relieve there injuries.

b unit

b unit

Awards
  • Established
Let me start by saying the needles are painless. They are the thickness of three human hairs. Aside from the Chinese theory the needles cause micro trauma and facilitate circulation and healing. The difference between getting a massage and Acupuncture is the needle is seen by the body as a foreign object and the body causes a chemical reaction to stimulate healing. Massage does not get the same response. (Body work is also included in Acupuncture) Some Acupuncturist may stimulate the needles more if needed to break up some muscular knots. It all depends on the person and the length of time they have had an injury. Usually we are the last Dr's that people see after nothing else works. Also if you really have some serious pain or a migraine then you would take any amount of pain to get rid of your problem. Body builder are notorious for "working through pain and injuries" and causing more damage and scar tissue. They make us work a little harder to relieve there injuries.

accupunture followed by deep tissue massage? your thoughts?

bman

Awards
massage always feels good. Massage and Acupuncture go hand in hand in maintaining wellness. If you have a specific problem it may not target the specific issues.

b unit

b unit

Awards
  • Established
massage always feels good. Massage and Acupuncture go hand in hand in maintaining wellness. If you have a specific problem it may not target the specific issues.
thanks for the speedy reply

cheers