$10000 Medical Bill - Whaaaaaattt!

MashedPotato

MashedPotato

Awards
  • Established
Hey guys,

Just getting my bills in from my hospital stay (the one where my cat ate my hand).....

And its totalling about $7000 for 2 days in hospital and $3000 for doc and labs fees.

What pssed me off is that this doctor would come in every day and say "hi , how are you feeling today" "i'd say "fine" or whatever, and i had to pay for that!!!!! whaattt!!!

"how are you feeling today?"
:stick: *poke pole*
"thats $150 please".

Anyway, I cant get insurance (medical history etc...) and im a student....they expect me to pay all this monies, but obviously I cant.

Anyone know how i can negotiate a lower bill, any tricks, any where i can go for help, charities etc...

They want me to pay $500 per month, but I SERIOUSLY cannot afford that! :whiner:

Reps for serious help!

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
On the back of the bill there should be a number you can call . There is a chance they will write off some of the bill.

In Hulk

In Hulk

Awards
My g/f just had a tumor removed about a month ago, her bill is around $65,000 total. Luckily she was under her mother's insurance... The surgeon alone charged $23,000.

But yeah, same thing. She's got charges from doctors doing quick "checking in" on her during her stay that cost 500 dollars per visit from them. Sh*t's ****ing ridiculous.

Dr Packenwood

Dr Packenwood

Awards
  • Established
Plead poverty. In alot of cases, and with alot of various companies, they will take what you can give them, over spending 10x that amount to take you to court. In your case it would'nt be small claims.

Explain to them what you CAN and WILL pay. If they are smart they will NOT deny your payment. I know someone that had a $1800/mo house payment before her husband was arrested for being a kiddie pervert. He went to jail and she was stuck with a divorce and a huge house payment. She went to the bank, told them the situation, and TOLD them, didn't ask...TOLD them she can give them $400/mo for 2 years. They accepted it, and she was never late with a payment. Offering something is worth more than telling them to kiss your ass.

MashedPotato

MashedPotato

Awards
  • Established
In addendum shoot that cat.
dont even start me on that. .... he walks around like he's the boss etc...sits on MY couch that I paid for,.... eats the cat food I bought....and he sleeps and growls........ bah....anyway. Hes my wifes cat, so I will keep him for her.... but he has to stay the hell away from me for now.

Ok, so I called them (the hospital) and the said "the best we can do is 36 months costing $156 per mo." she also told me that they will not reduce the bill, unless I pay in full and they will give me $500 off...!!! wtf.... if i could pay the bill this wouldnt be a problem, why give me a discount if im rich and CAN pay.... stupidity...

Oh and i called the surgeons office to negotiate a payment and said... "im a student i can only afford $20 per month", to that she replied "well your bill is only $1091, some patients have bills of $5000", and im sat here thinking, ok most of these people paid for the surgery (hes a plastic surgeon) through choice, and they are probably rich enough to have the proceedure in the first place (i.e a nose job insurance wont pay for), difference here is im uninsurable (not through choice!) and Im a student and its not something i planned on having (my hands looked fine before something decided to dine on them).

To that she made me pay $110 or my account would be 1 month behind.

:wtf:

RedwolfWV

RedwolfWV

Awards
  • Established
As long as you pay any amount on a regular basis, they can not refer you to collections. $10 a week will do.

Also, I'd call your local DSHS office. Depending on your income, you may qualify for temporary medicaid.

My son just went to the hospital for a cut thumb. We thought it might need stitches. They put tape strips, gauze and a splint on it. Total charges came in just under $1000.

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
This is a kick in the junk. Sorry to hear man. This is why i hate how Americas systems are set up. You are so clearly in a situation unchangeable(yea its a word now) and they basically tell you to deal with it. I'd go fukc up the cat and the surgeon. I wish they would at least give you options as you go or prior to the events.

That being said...best of luck.

Also, may i ask why you are un-insurable? no biggi if you choose not to answer.

Take care...dont let the cat taunt you.:nono:

MashedPotato

MashedPotato

Awards
  • Established
As long as you pay any amount on a regular basis, they can not refer you to collections. $10 a week will do.

Also, I'd call your local DSHS office. Depending on your income, you may qualify for temporary medicaid.

My son just went to the hospital for a cut thumb. We thought it might need stitches. They put tape strips, gauze and a splint on it. Total charges came in just under $1000.
Yeah I was refered to medicaid but apparently i have to earn less than $131 per month and have less than $2000 in assets....

I earn more than that and obviously own more than $2000 worth of items (school books are at least worth $600)

I also noted the minimum of $10 per month, and they said that wasnt acceptable, i didnt actually persue that further, but i wonder what would happen....

RedwolfWV

RedwolfWV

Awards
  • Established
No, they wont agree to it, but there isn't anything they can do about it either :)

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
sorry to hear all the trouble.

BUT you are kidding us when you say you still have the cat when it just cost you 10 grand??

What if a friend comes over and the cat takes out their eye? Not only could you be held accountable for the medical expenses but could easily find yourself up on criminal charges being that you now KNOW it is a dangerous animal. Your wife should already have taken it to the vet.

PLEASE get rid of the cat meaning kill it or have it killed.

CROWLER

MashedPotato

MashedPotato

Awards
  • Established
sorry to hear all the trouble.

BUT you are kidding us when you say you still have the cat when it just cost you 10 grand??

CROWLER
Do NOT get me started on the cat. Seriously. Im this close to exploding when i see it. So again, the issue is the medical bills, NOT the...."grits teeth"...cat.:trout: (note: i would not be smiling if hitting the cat.)

spatch

spatch

Awards
  • Established
They want me to pay $500 per month, but I SERIOUSLY cannot afford that! :whiner:

Quit your bi#ching. It's YOUR body, its YOUR problem. Us republicans don't care, we need the money that could help you pay your medical bills too invade Iran eventually. In Christ's name, of course.

Dr Packenwood

Dr Packenwood

Awards
  • Established
Do NOT get me started on the cat. Seriously. Im this close to exploding when i see it. So again, the issue is the medical bills, NOT the...."grits teeth"...cat.:trout: (note: i would not be smiling if hitting the cat.)
Ok, so without using the 'c' word...you know...I'm not saying anything....not naming any names...

natiels

natiels

Board Supporter
Awards
Check this out
http://www.stretcher.com/stories/980923c.cfm

Some useful tips in their. One guy says you can almost always get them down to 50-75% of the original bill.

....and definitely kill the cat. The last thing you need is somebody coming over to your place and having the same thing happen to them and then sueing you to pay THEIR hospital bills too.

Good Luck

joeymutz

joeymutz

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
when my parents had me and my sister they couldn't afford to pay the bill. each month my dad would give them a little bit of money like $10 dollars then maybe $15 it shows that you are trying to pay the bill but struggling to afford it. eventually the government gave him a grant or something and that and there was no more bill you might want to try that. But remember you cant pay the same amount every month it has to be different.

MashedPotato

MashedPotato

Awards
  • Established
thanks guys, i'll test out some of the information tomorrow when I call.

Thanks again guys - you all rock:thumbsup:

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
LiftNDestroy

LiftNDestroy

Awards
  • Established
On the radio the other day they were talking about how by simply asking for a discount, that more than likely most places will give you one. Well this dude calls in and talks about how the other day he has a Dr. visit and everything. He finishes up and when he gets to the bill/payment part, sees that it's going to cost him $2500 or so dollars. He says look Doc I think this treatment is only worth $800 cash and I have it on me to pay up front right now. The Doc, contemplates for a minute, and goes to talk it over with finance people or whoever. Comes back 5 minutes later and says $800 it is!

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
what kind of damn cat is this thing? i dont get it, how can a cat cause so much damage to your hand?

Rivet

Rivet

Awards
  • Established
what kind of damn cat is this thing? i dont get it, how can a cat cause so much damage to your hand?
Cats are DIRTY! It wasn't so much the bite that got him as much as the infection. Ive been bitten/clawed plenty by cats and they always get swollen but tend to heal up pretty fast for me. At least a dog gives you a warning when its upset, cats in my experience just seem to get angry out of the blue.

MashedPotato

MashedPotato

Awards
  • Established
Cats are DIRTY! It wasn't so much the bite that got him as much as the infection. Ive been bitten/clawed plenty by cats and they always get swollen but tend to heal up pretty fast for me. At least a dog gives you a warning when its upset, cats in my experience just seem to get angry out of the blue.
Exactly. They actually have a specific type of bacteria that when injected easily causes infections.

The claws are easier to deal with, but the cats have teeth that almost "inject" the bactieria into the tissue....

Ususally they heal on their own, but he bit me in such a place as that it made it easier for the bacteria to multiply out of control.