Pearl Jam Has Free Speech Censored By Att !

1. Senior Member
    Answers

Thumbs down Pearl Jam Has Free Speech Censored By Att !

2. Elite Member
    Answers

Yeah.....there's a serious danger when the provider of services (in this case broadcast services) decides what it will and won't deliver AFTER signing a contract to deliver the service. AT&T has a contract to use the dump button (censors audio) for obscenity, not political speech they disagreed with.
  3. New Member
    Answers

Remember, the 1st amendment only applies to government censorship of speech. Private companies, individuals, etc. can censor you all they like.
    •   

4. Elite Member
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by BigAsTheSky View Post
    Remember, the 1st amendment only applies to government censorship of speech. Private companies, individuals, etc. can censor you all they like.
    Not in this case. This wasn't an AT&T broadcast of some AT&T event. They had a contract to provide a broadcast service. That contract provided for their ability to censor nudity and profanity. In choosing to censor based upon other content, they breached their contract and are liable for that breach.
  5. Banned
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by yeahright View Post
    Not in this case. This wasn't an AT&T broadcast of some AT&T event. They had a contract to provide a broadcast service. That contract provided for their ability to censor nudity and profanity. In choosing to censor based upon other content, they breached their contract and are liable for that breach.
    Apparently you dont know how censoring works on a live event. When a raving lunatic liberal has an anti bush rant you only have a few seconds to decide how vulgar their insane vocal movents are or are going to become. You can never count on a BDS sufferer to be constrained, composed or rational with their speech in front of a large audience. Im sure some censor guy didnt want to take a risk.
  6. Senior Member
    Answers

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by CNorris View Post
    Apparently you dont know how censoring works on a live event. When a raving lunatic liberal has an anti bush rant you only have a few seconds to decide how vulgar their insane vocal movents are or are going to become. You can never count on a BDS sufferer to be constrained, composed or rational with their speech in front of a large audience. Im sure some censor guy didnt want to take a risk.
    Duuh, That's why it called censorship,..genius !

He suffers from CNorris syndrome;

no brains, no balls , no problems!
  7. New Member
    Answers

True, if it's in their contract with ATT they could raise a stink (but I doubt they could get any money in court). However, the comments I made were really regarding some of the people who like to think they have some magical right to say whatever they like whenever they like and no one can do a damn thing about it -- then they scream 1st Amendment. Unfortunately that's just not the case.
  8. Elite Member
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by CNorris View Post
    Actually, I do know how it works. The feed is on a delay and someone is paid to listen to it for content that isn't allowed. If they hear something prohibited, they push something commonly referred to as the "dump button" which inserts a cut in the audio (usually preprogrammed for a specific number of seconds).

Moreover, I'm a lawyer and I know how contracts work.

There used to be a day when conservatives were suspicious of all concentrations of power (governments and corporations). Somewhere between Barry Goldwater and Ronald Reagan mainstream conservatives began to embrace abuses of power as long as it wasn't them being abused. It's kinda sad to see the intellectual incoherance displayed in posts such as yours.
  9. Elite Member
    Answers

True, if it's in their contract with ATT they could raise a stink (but I doubt they could get any money in court). However, the comments I made were really regarding some of the people who like to think they have some magical right to say whatever they like whenever they like and no one can do a damn thing about it -- then they scream 1st Amendment. Unfortunately that's just not the case.
    You are correct. Many people do not understand that the Bill of Rights protects us from government abuse....not abuse by private actors.
  10. Senior Member
    Answers

Thumbs up

There used to be a day when conservatives were suspicious of all concentrations of power (governments and corporations). Somewhere between Barry Goldwater and Ronald Reagan mainstream conservatives began to embrace abuses of power as long as it wasn't them being abused. It's kinda sad to see the intellectual incoherance displayed in posts such as yours.
    Thank you, I was beginning to think I was all alone.

There is nothing conservative about the Bush Administration.

The abuse of power has always been part of politics, but it used to be veiled, now they throw it in your face.
  11. New Member
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by anabolicrhino View Post
    Thank you, I was beginning to think I was all alone.

There is nothing conservative about the Bush Administration.

The abuse of power has always been part of politics, but it used to be veiled, now they throw it in your face.
    So somehow ATT bleeping Eddie Veders rant is somehow the President's fault?

So are you now going to try and tell us that the Illuminati is limiting the supply of aluminum foil so you can't make more hats?
  12. Senior Member
    Answers

So are you now going to try and tell us that the Illuminati is limiting the supply of aluminum foil so you can't make more hats?
    Woah fella, who said what? now ....

Ok I'll play , Who are the "Illuminati" and what do they have to do with limiting the supply of aluminum foil ?

and finally, if I may, to which hats are you referring?

...and why?
  13. Elite Member
    Answers

Oddly enough, tin foil hats apparently make it easier to read brain waves.

http://people.csail.mit.edu/rahimi/helmet/
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-22-2010, 08:20 PM
  2. Has anyone tried Mastavol by APS?
    By ottoclif in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-24-2009, 08:20 PM
  3. Dems to Outlaw Free Speech on the Radio
    By RobInKuwait in forum Politics
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 10-24-2008, 08:36 AM
  4. Kos Convention: Free Speech Not Welcome.
    By CNorris in forum Politics
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-06-2007, 12:26 AM
  5. Replies: 24
    Last Post: 02-17-2005, 01:21 PM