Goal is getting sponsored?

CustomNW

Awards
  • Established
I was wondering, how many AM members have a goal of training to get sponsored by a sup company? Whether you train for strongman/powerlifting or bodybuilding/figure, how many of you are trying to make a career out of it?

Im just curious, because I know alot of people that struggle to turn a passion into a career. I give those people alot of credit for their dedication and perseverance. Let me know your thoughts!

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
I would if I could. I do train and eat with the purpose of one day having the physique of a Greek God. I'm 5-11 and would like be at 235 and about 8-10% within 2 years from now. The tough thing about BBing is that there's no money in it unless you're a top pro. A .250 hitter in baseball or an average left handed reliever will make tons more then an average BBer.

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I'd love to make competitive bodybuilding my career if I can. I'm working on it, but I'm also going to school at the same time(Kin major). If not as my main career, I'd like to compete and have some type of career in the bodybuilding industry at least.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
bb-ing is a great sport. The general public just cares about the drugs, nothing else. They also tend to want to see freaks vs. proportion.

I think there are plenty of people here on this forum that have enough passion to do it. There just isn't not a large enough crowd to bring in money.

what really needs to happen is the way it is marketed. Look at WWE. They don't look half as good as bbers but they make lots of money due to how it is presented. That's what needs to be done with mainstream bodybuilding.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I would like to work FOR a supplement company, be in great shape but not necessarily a competitor in either BBing or PLing.

kabuki

kabuki

Awards
  • Established
i would love to, but i have to be realistic and realize there is no money in PLing.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I want to get sponsored for MMA, but not BBing or PLing. The supplement market in MMA is very misunderstood and I want to be at the front on the movement to enlighten my fellow fighters.

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
I'm with you bioman, I'd at least like to work in the supp industry or something in the related field, whether that be advertising, office, R&D, etc. just to be a part of the whole game/industry lifestyle in the professional sense would be really exciting and endeavorous for myself.

I used to want to do the whole BB'ing thing but decided that it was just not for me. It's a BIG part of my life, but not my whole life. GUys/women that do compete I admire and respect though. It's just as hard earned/demanding as any other higher paying career IMO. Too bad their isn't a bigger fan base as reaper said.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I just refuse to eat that much. lol

Training..I love.
Eating 4500 calories of blandness everyday for eternity...notsomuch. lol

texxlnghorn

Awards
Just to help some of you guys out.
I've been there done that.
All of my friends been there done that.
Choose a different path to make money.
Unless your in your early 20's and have super genetics, your not going to get any body to sponser you for b.b.
There is no money in body building and powerlifting.
Even if you own your own store, not a lot of money to be made. In most major cities nutrition stores are corporate.
For expample.
I live in Houston, most people go to Vitamin shope.
There are some great independent stores, but very few. And these stores can't compete with vitamin shope with vitamins, and sometimes can't compete with vitamin shope when vitamin shope puts a certain brand on sale.

I have a Kins. degree, and it's hard making a living with that degree. Most people train at 24 hour fitness in houston. You can only train these people if you work for 24 hour fitness, which takes half of your pay.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
I love bodybuilding and I acknowledge all aspects of it good and bad. If I were to start making it my life, it'll become a chore and a job which has the potential for me to look at it in a negative manner.

I keep it as a hobby and I keep it as something to seperate myself from work and strictly for my enjoyment. Even if there was money to be made in that area, I wouldn't want to give up what I love at the potential of disliking it.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'd love to have the dedication to be in the realm of a struggling body builder/power lifter lol...I wouldn't mind working for a supplement company in a position to be a part of its growth and to network in the field.

rysigpi

rysigpi

Awards
  • Established
I'd love to make competitive bodybuilding my career if I can. I'm working on it, but I'm also going to school at the same time(Kin major). If not as my main career, I'd like to compete and have some type of career in the bodybuilding industry at least.
Pretty much sums me up. I am finishing school up and trying to be the best BB'er I can be. I know it is VERY hard to make a living competing in BBing...especially in the natural division. I would just love to be a spokesperson for a supp company, do ads and photoshoots for them and such.

Goal= get a natty pro card and be in a supplement ad....shredded and looking healthy! Health comes first, I want to raise a family and be there for me kids/grandkids!

CustomNW

Awards
  • Established
I want to get sponsored for MMA, but not BBing or PLing. The supplement market in MMA is very misunderstood and I want to be at the front on the movement to enlighten my fellow fighters.
I am intrigued with mma and would love to personally get involved with it. Tell me more about this movement you are thinking of. The BJJ is also very interesting and would love to learn more.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I am intrigued with mma and would love to personally get involved with it. Tell me more about this movement you are thinking of. The BJJ is also very interesting and would love to learn more.
At this moment, all of my training partners are about 15 years behind when it comes to supplement knowledge. I am asked tons of questions about what certain supps do and what would be best for each of them. MMA is such a unique sport in that aerobic and anaerobic strength, power, and endurance must be addressed to be in proper shape for a fight. I have worked with supplements is one way or another for almost 5 years now and I try to expand my knowledge everyday. Shoot me an email so we can discuss in more depth-[email protected]

Last edited:
motive

motive

Awards
  • Established
i had that dream... and then i met my wife! she would kill me if i wanted to make it a living. her dad was a sponsored bb in the early 80's which took time away from his family so shes scared that would happen now

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I think the bulk of the US population is about 15-20 years behind on their supplement knowledge. lol

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I had a conversation several weeks back and the table of about 5 people(all of which were in good shape and were active adults) and they were discussing creatine and it being a steroid that causes kidney and liver failure in regular doses.

CustomNW

Awards
  • Established
Ive had that conversation as well. You'll get brain tumors and such. Interesting how people will not even want to learn more about something when their knowledge is challenged.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I would like to work FOR a supplement company, be in great shape but not necessarily a competitor in either BBing or PLing.
I wouldn't mind working for a supplement company in a position to be a part of its growth and to network in the field.
These two have summed up my thoughts. I also possess a diverse 20 year manufacturing/process/procurement quality assurance background as well.

I'm available ;)

motive

motive

Awards
  • Established
several units have banned the usage of creatine, n.o. exp, and several other supplements.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
Yeah but atleast if you pulse Milk you can get away without proper PCT. With Creatine your 99% shutdown within the 2nd day. There's no way around that.

motive

motive

Awards
  • Established
i knew jay cutler was on steroids! i saw him drinking milk last week!!!

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
several units have banned the usage of creatine, n.o. exp, and several other supplements.
WTF ! ? I'd be giving my troops all the nutrition, supps, and juice they needed to get the job done. Perhaps even some Saigon whores to take care of those needs :D

motive

motive

Awards
  • Established
WTF ! ? I'd be giving my troops all the nutrition, supps, and juice they needed to get the job done. Perhaps even some Saigon whores to take care of those needs :D
you would think so but not the case at all. if you get caught with creatine in your living area you will be up for an article 15. all this because one soldier died of renal failure and they found high levels of creatine.

tattoopierced1

I am the same way. Although I do enjoy competing and will continue to do so in the future, its not something I plan on doing as a career. I just enjoy the small local events. I do however, plan to make money off of how I've changed my body. I'm an entrepreneur at heart.