how much did you spend on your wedding and honeymoon.... was it worth it?

Mrs. Gimpy!

Mrs. Gimpy!

Awards
  • Established
so.... yes, im in the midst of planning the wedding and luckily im really simple and a mastermind at finding great bargains...... and was wondering how much you all spent on the wedding day and the honeymoon and if in the end, it was worth all the money or if you would have rather spent less on all that "stuff" and spent the money in another way...

kabuki

kabuki

Awards
  • Established
my wife is very practical. she didn't want to spend any money on renting a place so we spent the money instead on fixing up the back yard, planting flowers ect. and had the wedding there. Then when it was done we had a very nice backyard.

we spend about 1500 on renting tables, canopies, dj, etc. The catering was about 2k and another 500 or so on wine, booze, kegs. So that was our cost for about 125 people at our wedding.

For our honeymoon we just drove down the oregon and california coastline. Camping in remote spots and an occasional hotel room. So easily under 1000.

probably wouldn't work for most, but made us very happy. We are simple and practical.

motive

motive

Awards
  • Established
cruise is the way to go! you can get good deals that include everything such as your meals and you get to go to several locations. the only thing not included is the drinks... which adds up fast but its well worth it.
if you do a cruise... get a handicap room. your the first to load and unload and the showers big enough for two!
i dont remember how much we paid for the wedding day and honeymoon... im sure my wife can tell me how much we spent

RisingAgainst

RisingAgainst

Banned
Awards
  • Established
4k + 2k sounds about right, it's not something you should have to OVERLY do, but do it enough to make it a worthwhile memory.

motive

motive

Awards
  • Established
just found out from my wife that our cruise was 800 for the both of us plus 250 in drinks and then we spent some money here and there. in all i wouls say our actual honey moon was less than 1500 and was worth everybit of it.
the wedding was a different story... i dont want to talk about how much that was

Frequency

Frequency

Awards
  • Established
Spend most of your money on the honey moon. Thats the fun part. The wedding part isnt all that fun and i guaruntee youll remember the honeymoon more than youll remember the wedding. My honeymoon wwas probably double what the wedding cost but i went to brasil for two weeks.

tattoopierced1

2k for everything... wedding, reception, honeymoon (even though it was a year later).

We are both of the opinion that money wasted on a lavish wedding could have been better spent on a house etc....

liftitbig85

liftitbig85

Awards
  • Established
un-married here..but doesn't the wife's family pay for most of the wedding? don't flame...just going off i guess what you could call "here-say"

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
un-married here..but doesn't the wife's family pay for most of the wedding? don't flame...just going off i guess what you could call "here-say"
Well, men really shouldn't be getting married in the first place if you want to get down to the nitty gritty but if you do then...yeah definitely, I think the wife pays for it....WITH HER HUSBAND'S MONEY...oh snap. Sorry I just had to add that.:bruce3:

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
we had a small wedding back in 2000, 11 people including us. A small brunch afterwards and I think it cost my inlaws 3k.

Out honeymoon was a week in Disney, stayed at Coronado Springs Hotel on the grounds. About 5k with airfare and all the extras. Totally worth the money. We are Disney fanatics

CRUNCH

CRUNCH

Awards
  • Established
We kind of eloped a year and a half ago to Mexico, it wasn't official though. My wifes mom has been pushing us for the real thing and got my wife kind of wanting that too. It's all fine by me. My wife and I were thinking about only ten people, just close family. Her mother has brought the total number up close to 90! They're paying for everything so go for it. The cake is $800, a photographer will be close to $5000, then close to $7000 for the food. I'd say it will be close to 20-25k when it's all said and done. It's coming up this Aug 18th.

The things I would rather do with that kind of money...I could go on and on!!

Tiberius

Awards
  • Established
Spent only a little over $20000 on the wedding. I remember the bill, but I don't remember the breakdown. My wife and her family handled that.

The honeymoon we spent $8000 on. It was a bargain IMO. 2 weeks at an all inclusive in Barbados.

All inclusives are really nice if you have the cash, but a cheaper alternative I'd recommend is a cruise. On cruises there is so much to do, the only time you spend in the cabin is sleeping pretty much. So you don't need a big cabin. In fact, we usually take an inside cabin when we go. Since all the ship activities are open to every passenger equally, it doesn't make a whole lotta sense to me to pay more than twice as much just to get a balcony when you aren't even spending any time in your room anyway.

I dunno, guess I can be too practical at times. Thankfully my wife is too.

Anyway, depending on the time fo the year, you could land a 7 night cruise Caribbean cruise for like $1200 easily. Seeing as how just paying for a simple hotel room will usually run you about $200 a night, that a cruise includes all the food you cna imagine, all the amenities of a cruise ship, the beauty of the open ocean, and all the possible locations you can see on a cruise; it's the way to go.

xjsynx

xjsynx

Awards
We kind of eloped a year and a half ago to Mexico, it wasn't official though. My wifes mom has been pushing us for the real thing and got my wife kind of wanting that too. It's all fine by me. My wife and I were thinking about only ten people, just close family. Her mother has brought the total number up close to 90! They're paying for everything so go for it. The cake is $800, a photographer will be close to $5000, then close to $7000 for the food. I'd say it will be close to 20-25k when it's all said and done. It's coming up this Aug 18th.

The things I would rather do with that kind of money...I could go on and on!!
You kind of eloped?

Anywho, this is whu I am holding off. I am spending the money on other things....

CRUNCH

CRUNCH

Awards
  • Established
We did our own thing on the beach, vows, etc.... The legal and religious reasons for a "regular" wedding mean nothing to me.

xjsynx

xjsynx

Awards
We did our own thing on the beach, vows, etc.... The legal and religious reasons for a "regular" wedding mean nothing to me.
I gotcha. I thought when the priest asked you do accept, you said maybe :lol:

Otter_Wife

Otter_Wife

Awards
Chad and I got married at the court house, only my side of the family went! Even though I didnt get the big dream wedding I always wanted, I'm glad, I got to marry the man I love and had my family there! That's all that matters to me! Mine was worth it!

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Chad and I got married at the court house, only my side of the family went! Even though I didnt get the big dream wedding I always wanted, I'm glad, I got to marry the man I love and had my family there! That's all that matters to me! Mine was worth it!
Chad's a smart dude, that's the type of wedding I need to have if I ever choose to get married LOL

motiv8er

motiv8er

Awards
  • Established
Not married, but to show her family I love her I would rather go to the justice of the peace. Whatever they want is fine, but it isnt what I am about.

Mrs. Gimpy!

Mrs. Gimpy!

Awards
  • Established
hmm.... i really cant stomach the idea of spending 20 or 30 thousand on a wedding like most.....that just is too painful...... for just 3 -6 hours!

im planning on a $6,500 wedding and its gorgeous (cliff over the beach ceremony with top notch restaurant Georges at the Cove - La Jolla Restaurant)

my honeymoon.... it all really has to do with scheduling, between me taking the dental hygiene boards and kwyck's med. school stuff....but cost wise..... anywhere between $5,000-$10,000

i dont see traveling as a waste of money...besides.... id be able to pay off my wedding and honeymoon in about a month and a half of work.....college is good :)

yes im paying for it all myself.... my dad cant handle the fact that his little girl is growing up and supporting the household.......

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
so.... yes, im in the midst of planning the wedding and luckily im really simple and a mastermind at finding great bargains...... and was wondering how much you all spent on the wedding day and the honeymoon and if in the end, it was worth all the money or if you would have rather spent less on all that "stuff" and spent the money in another way...
We spent $88.50, plus $1 in quarters in the parking meter on the wedding, and it was only that high because there was an extra $10 charge for having someone at the courthouse be the witness :) And dangit, we were only there long enough that I could have just put 50 cents in the meter. Live and learn.

And no honeymoon then, actually she had to go into work right after we were done, closest to a honeymoon was going out to the movies the next nite. We did eventually do a sort of 2nd honeymoon (even tho it was really our first) between our 10th + 11th anniversary. That was probably a $5k trip, but very fun, left the kids with grandparents and did a budget free week in puerto rico.

neoborn

neoborn

Awards
  • Established
$3000 Wedding

$300 Rings

20 people in a small beautiful church

Love that lasts a lifetime.....priceless!

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
We spent $88.50, plus $1 in quarters in the parking meter on the wedding, and it was only that high because there was an extra $10 charge for having someone at the courthouse be the witness :) And dangit, we were only there long enough that I could have just put 50 cents in the meter. Live and learn.

And no honeymoon then, actually she had to go into work right after we were done, closest to a honeymoon was going out to the movies the next nite. We did eventually do a sort of 2nd honeymoon (even tho it was really our first) between our 10th + 11th anniversary. That was probably a $5k trip, but very fun, left the kids with grandparents and did a budget free week in puerto rico.

That's what I call keepin' it real.

BabyHulk

BabyHulk

Awards
  • Established
3K on the ring...Wedding at our in-laws for nothing. The preacher didn't even charge. Just immediate family there. Spent around 3K on our honeymoon total. Drove from Louisiana to the Ceasar's Pocono Resort in Pennsylvania for 1.5 weeks. Money well spent on honeymoon and towards furniture, etc. Like others have said, the actual legal document saying we're legally wed means sh#t to me.

Squeaks4ver

Squeaks4ver

Awards
  • Established
talking with my dad yesterday.. if i get everything that I sorta want for the wedding it is going to run us about 20 grand. I was a bit shocked because i do not think i am asking for out of the ordinary things :-(... the honeymoon is set but my fiance wont tell me what it is.. though I know it has something to do with hot beachy type areas.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
All inclusives are really nice if you have the cash, but a cheaper alternative I'd recommend is a cruise. On cruises there is so much to do, the only time you spend in the cabin is sleeping pretty much. So you don't need a big cabin. In fact, we usually take an inside cabin when we go. Since all the ship activities are open to every passenger equally, it doesn't make a whole lotta sense to me to pay more than twice as much just to get a balcony when you aren't even spending any time in your room anyway.

I dunno, guess I can be too practical at times. Thankfully my wife is too.

Anyway, depending on the time fo the year, you could land a 7 night cruise Caribbean cruise for like $1200 easily. Seeing as how just paying for a simple hotel room will usually run you about $200 a night, that a cruise includes all the food you cna imagine, all the amenities of a cruise ship, the beauty of the open ocean, and all the possible locations you can see on a cruise; it's the way to go.
Ummm only thing you do in the room is sleep? I recall quite a bit of other types of activity going on in the cabin during any of my cruises (and i'd bet even moreso during a honeymoon!!!) plus if you've never had sex on the balcony of a cruise liner (with her bent over the rail) in the moonlight, you've missed out for sure! :D :woohoo:

Cheapest time of year for cruises is the weeks immediately before and after thanksgiving btw. Can do a 7 nite for as low as $300-400/pp then out of florida.

BigAsTheSky

Awards
Got married in 1998...
Rented an old hotel w/ 12 rooms and a banquet room, flowers, chairs, pictures, cakes, everything... $2500.

1 week cruise in the southern Caribbean... $2000.

Well worth it.

CRUNCH

CRUNCH

Awards
  • Established
talking with my dad yesterday.. if i get everything that I sorta want for the wedding it is going to run us about 20 grand. I was a bit shocked because i do not think i am asking for out of the ordinary things :-(... the honeymoon is set but my fiance wont tell me what it is.. though I know it has something to do with hot beachy type areas.
Let us know where you go, we'll meet ya there! :woohoo:

BOHICA

BOHICA

Awards
  • Established
Gulp me and the wife waay overdid it, but thats how her family is. 28k for the wedding and 4 for the honeymoon. It was amazing and it ended up being on the news because of it.

And now I am a broke strength and conditioning coach and she is a first grade teacher. Damn you life!!! :)

Mrs. Gimpy!

Mrs. Gimpy!

Awards
  • Established
28k for the wedding and 4 for the honeymoon.
dont get me wrong....if my dad was paying for my wedding or if i had alot of money id spend more than i am on the wedding and ceremony..... but my dad's not and i dont want to spend that much on 3-6 hours.

BUT wouldnt it have been amazing to spend only 4 grand on the wedding and $28,000 on the honeymoon..... aaahhh that sounds like heaven..

i was deciding on simply eloping and going on a 15-20,000 honeymoon....selfish me, but i decided to include the family.

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
wedding $100
Honeymoon $125
Ring $250

two months later my wife says: "Honey did we get married in October or November?" PRICELESS

A year later we were watching a 20/20 show proving that even rich people who shop on Rodeo Drive can't tell the difference between a $150 cubic zirconia and a $10,000 diamond ring. My wife says I REALLY hope my ring is NOT a REAL diamond.

I think I got me a good one :)

CROWLER

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
wedding $100
Honeymoon $125
Ring $250

two months later my wife says: "Honey did we get married in October or November?" PRICELESS

A year later we were watching a 20/20 show proving that even rich people who shop on Rodeo Drive can't tell the difference between a $150 cubic zirconia and a $10,000 diamond ring. My wife says I REALLY hope my ring is NOT a REAL diamond.

I think I got me a good one :)

CROWLER

Our original engagement ring was a really nice 2.5ct zirconia. To tell the comedy part.... I had won it through some contest years ago, while I was single. I was a big D&D player at the time, so I ended up supergluing it into the eye socket of a skeleton elephant figure I had (those old lead d&d figures, can't find a pic of it). When I decided I was going to ask her to marry me I rubbed the thing down with nail polish remover to get the stone out, then brought it to a jeweler and had it set. We had girls in a jewelery store one time fight over who got to clean it... :think: our wedding bands were around $120 total.

The problem part is that I got forced to upgrade over time :D Now as the replacement engagement ring she has this

no, not cubic zirconia, a Vs1 D trillion cut. and new wedding bands too. c'est la vie.

Chad

Chad

Banned
Awards
  • Established
i say you guys get a room at the ho jo, order some pizza hut and ice cream and call it a day.
then with the money you saved go buy your hubby a new TAG watch!

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
If I had my way in my wedding the it would be damn dirt cheap. I would have it in the backyard. I would just order 3 kegs and some liquor. Get a bunch of tri-tip sandwiches (I don't like cake) and pizza. Hang out with friends and family and cap it all off by banging the wife that night. I'm a simple man and I don't need the fancy ceremonial stuff that goes with a wedding.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If I had my way in my wedding the it would be damn dirt cheap. I would have it in the backyard. I would just order 3 kegs and some liquor. Get a bunch of tri-tip sandwiches (I don't like cake) and pizza. Hang out with friends and family and cap it all off by banging the wife that night. I'm a simple man and I don't need the fancy ceremonial stuff that goes with a wedding.
Maybe a nacho fountain with 6 different kinds of cheese?