GRE (Graduate Record Exam)

Rhapsody

Awards
In about 3 weeks I'm gonna take the GRE. It's required to qualify for the Nurse Practioner Program I've applied for.

Any of you guys ever taken it? I was thinking about picking up a Kaplan Prep book.......but I don't think I can cram for the test in 3 weeks.......I'm thinking it's one of those test where you either know it already or you don't. I have to score at least 1600 to get in.

Any suggestions or comments are appreciated........I'm nervous about taking it....lol

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
oh the fun of the GRE.. actually once you get finished I am going to be asking for some tips from you.. :D what parts are you going to have to take Rhaps?

RM BiggaFigga

Awards
The GRE is a joke. I did not study for it, and I took it in the middle of finals week to boot. As long as you did reasonably well on the SATs, you won't have any problems on the GRE, it's more of the same, and I'm sure you've seen your fair share of standardized test by this point in your life. Just remember that the first third of each section is what really determines your score, and the remaining questions only tweak it by a few points. Take your time on the first third of the questions in each section, and you will score well. I assume you know that the test adapts as you take it, and there isn't much else to worry about. Good luck.

-RM

Rhapsody

Awards
oh the fun of the GRE.. actually once you get finished I am going to be asking for some tips from you.. :D what parts are you going to have to take Rhaps?

I gotta take the whole test.

I went today to turn in my references. She handed me the price of tuition... which I knew was high but it was 777.00 a semester hour....She must have been reading the look on my face because she then handed me a pile of scholarship applications ....LOL

She also told me they would pay the tuition , books, all fees for me to graduate...........plus give me 1098.00 a month stipend until I finsish..... if I give them 2 years in a facility that is underprivialeged after I graduate. Don't know where it would be .....or what it would pay.....

I told her I'd have to thing about that......long and hard. It's very appealing.......but scary ..... ...........it's also a GOVERNMENT PROGRAM ! So they would pick the place.

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
Got to love the price of tution for grad school.. been there and back at it again. It would be interesting to see if you get any choices on place to be.. like a small wish list of possible places.

Rhapsody

Awards
She told me she was gonna check into for me.........she knew just enough to confuse me and confuse herself.

It's a government program ...so they pick the place.

Scottyo

Awards
  • Established
If your major has anything to do with the Middle East, the gov will pretty much cover everything if you offer to work there for 2-3 years.....Im considering it myself in a couple of years, especially if I dont get a Fullbright or any other signifcant grant.

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
Well Rhaps, with what I assume you are going to major in, you might be able to get some rural assignments... maybe in your home state.. a possiblity

Rhapsody

Awards
Scotty, It's not related to the Middle East..........I heard something about what your talking about........but never got the details.

Matt,

The example she gave was a "downtown clinic".....mostly homeless and indigent. Which, I don't care to work there......but I wouldn't want them to send me to deliverance !!!! I'm close enough to it already !!!

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
Well can't blame you on both of those.. some hard decisions to make..

db682

Awards
  • Established
My wife took the GRE for her grad school and I just called her at work. I say shes a nurse, she says something different, but whatever it is she continued to grad school (University of Florida as well) and she said that Kaplan and other prep courses suck. She did a Kaplan Prep class (had to buy Kaplan books as well) that she paid almost $500 for 3 sessions. She said she wasted her money. They didnt teach her anything she didnt already know. She said that the number of questions depends on many you get right and how many wrong. Also if you notice it getting really hard then your probably getting them right.
Good luck,
Bet you wished you studied harder.
db

labrad

Awards
  • Established
Try your local bookstore. I am pretty sure that they have a book that will help you prepare for a fraction of the cost of Kaplan. My 2 cents.

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
I did see a book that one lady had at the pool.. GRE for Dummies I have used other books in the "for Dummies" series and they have been really good.. so you might check that one out.

Rhapsody

Awards
I picked up a Barron's Prep book from the library yesterday. It looks like general knowledge with some geometry/chemistry throwed in.

Thanks for all the advice, guys. It's appreciated !!

quasar

Awards
General GRE's a piece of cake, it was the biochem GRE and chemistry GRE that I had to study for, depending on the program I was applying to. And $700/unit isn't that bad, I paid that for my undergrad education! Only $100k later and I graduated. Thanks to financial aid, I only have about $50k in loans to repay over 25 years. That's private college for ya, a good education costs $$$. Good luck bro.

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
Thanks Sheesh.. that will come in handy..

Number 5

Awards
i took the general GRE and if you do it on a computer then it might help to practice. just get a book with some sample tests or a cd w/ sample computer tests. you can also go onto the official GRE webpage and download some samples so at least you'll be familiar w/ the layout.

the tricky part w/ the computer tests is that the questions keep getting harder as you get them right. so if you answer the first 10 questions right, then you'll just get 800 level questions, which take a lot more time so it's easy to run out unless you are really fast/smart. however, once you've reached the 800 level you can only go down so much, so it's important to answer the first 10 questions very carefully, then if pressed for time you could blast thry the middle section fast (and careless) - if you answer every other question right for example, then your score will stay at 800 - then just answer the last few questions carefully as well.

reversly if you answer the first few questions wrong, then you'll be stuck say at the 500 level, and no matter what you do, the computer will never give you the tougher level questions - so make sure to do well in the beginning.

good luck.

Number 5

Awards
oh, forgot to mention, i took the gre about 1.5 years ago, so my advice could by now be outdated.

Hal

Awards
The GRE is pretty much an IQ test. There's not much you can do to study for it. Best thing would be to take as many practice exams as you can to familiarize yourself with the material. I bought a computer training program and got maybe 1/3 through it before I took the test...it's not like you're going to be able to remember any facts..you just get used to seeing a certain type of question.