White Coat Syndrome

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
For the longest time I thought I was immune and I come to believe I have tested positive for the syndrome ;)

Over the last couple months there was a period of time that I saw a Dr at least once a week for about 4 weeks. Sometimes a couple days consecutive. I had a neck injury and was in the ER, a couple different Dr's and my GP.

My injury was pretty damn serious and I had myself pretty well worked up over it. I was anxious to find out how bad and if this was going to be permanent or not.

Well along the course of visits, as you know, they always take you general vitals and BP is one. First visit 125/75. I'm concerned about the number for no other reason than I am usually 115/70 and have been as low as 110/65. Very next appointment I see the cuff come out and I feel my BP rising. 135/80. Now I am upset and begin to think I have BP issues to worry about. The very next day I am in the office and I can feel my BP rising and I get sweaty wondering how bad my BP is going to be. 140/82. Now I am very anxious and very concerned.

I have an appointment to see my GP to review some outstanding issues and I am walking to the door of the office and I can feel my heart palpitations increase. She throws the cuff on my arm 142/85. Now I am upset!!! She of course mentions how it is high but nothing to be overly concerned about. She does tell me to quit worrying (refering to my outstanding bloodwork issues). So I try to take comfort in her reassurance.

I'm at the united blood services yesterday giving blood. I am very casual as I have done this before and have no reason to be concerned. It was on a list of things to do and I had been very successfully completing a multitude of tasks this day. I was pleasd with my day.

We go through the general interview process and come to find out I have special blood which means they want to take only my RBC and give back my plasma, platelets, and WBC etc (this by the way is good for me and my reason for giving blood was to lower all that stuff involved with RBC). Apparently my blood is a rare O- as it is also negative for some viral something or other that makes it perfect for premature babies. I'm feeling really good about myself. I am giving blood semi-selfishly, yet I am now convinced I am some sort of a hero for doing so ;)

They need to test your BP for this sort of transfusion procedure. The cuff goes on....118/68!!!!

I start laughing out load to the technician woman. She asks me whats so funny. I told her I was borderline hypertensive a few days earlier and now I am at my normal low ago. She laughs with me and I have a great experience giving blood. By the way her lab coat was blue and she was sort of cute :)

mmowry

mmowry

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Glad to hear your BP is fine and its So true about the anxiety problems.I have the same problem at times.It would be great if I were as good at shutting the subconscious stress down as I am the conscious.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Wow B5150. And I thought I had issues....Thanks for making me feel better!. Please don't let these things keep you up at night. BP is gonna vary depending on a lot of different things. I'm sure you know that though. Relax!!!...

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
White Coat syndrome is something I suffer from badly. Just a reaction, I don't even feel nervous, nor has anything particularly bad ever happened to me in a doctor's office. Just one of those things.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Wow B5150. And I thought I had issues....Thanks for making me feel better!. Please don't let these things keep you up at night. BP is gonna vary depending on a lot of different things. I'm sure you know that though. Relax!!!...
I'm generally a pretty high strung individual and for the most part I keep it under control. It's been a rough couple months with my injury and some other psychological stresses. I also dropped my coffee intake down to about 10-20% of my usual.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm generally a pretty high strung individual and for the most part I keep it under control. It's been a rough couple months with my injury and some other psychological stresses. I also dropped my coffee intake down to about 10-20% of my usual.
I have had the same problem. Cardio usually helps keep me relaxed as long as I keep consistant. I just got a new Gazelle, cheap and effective and easy on my old man knees.

BUCKNUTS

BUCKNUTS

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I'm a nurse have been for over 15 years now, and I know my doctor very well I work with her as well as being a patient of hers,still my b/p is 10-15 points higher when I'm sitting in her office. I must have anxiety about my health probably due mostly to my familt history I think.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I must have anxiety about my health probably due mostly to my familt history I think.
BINGO!!!

I know little to nothing about my biological father other than some not too good things. Plus I am a 5 years recovering addict alcoholic who at times is just waiting for that other shoe to drop.

I think I just need to make sure my laces are tied and get back to running the race :)

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I make my physicians nervous. If they try to talk smack about supplements I give them the stink eye.

lol