GREs

bulls**t

bulls**t

Awards
  • Established
To the guys who have taken the GREs

What were your overall impressions of the test?
How did you prepare, for how long, and how did you do?
If you had to do it again, how would you improve your methods for a higher score?
Anything else at all?

Just registered to take the test on july 14, with a 16 hour study course spread over June 8 and 9. Got a 1500 on SATs without studying, but that was over 6 years ago, Ive drank a lot of beer and been punched in the head a whole lot of times since then.

Thanks guys.

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Bought a book, studied it section by section with repeats if I felt weak in some areas. Verbal I used both an online flash card program and the word listings in the study books. Got a 1000 on it the first time I took it. Heard the study courses really help in getting the score up, would have did that but I'm just lazey(and cheap).

Basically the test is every nightmare of usless knowledge you remembered from high school on.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I took it in '01. I think it's changed since then. It was math, applied, and verbal (each out of 800) back then. I did really well on the math and applied, but got owned on the verbal. I didn't study at all but I would definitely recommend studying something preferably from ETS. The course sounds like a good idea. I think my verbal would have increased significantly with preparation and having some idea of what was coming. My area involves the math/applied skills, but I heard the admissions comittees looked at the verbal scores as an indicator of success in grad school.

If you take a subject test, study your a$$ off.

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
It's changed now- analytical, quantitave and written. A and Q are still measured in 800, written is based on a point system of 1-6 which is bs to do as most grad programs don't even consider the written just as long as you don't do horrible(it first and it's tedious and it's long as hell). The score totals are all taken from a and q and is what they all look for in regards to having at least a 850 or 900 GRE score for entrance.