Shootings at Virginia Tech

powerhouse21

Awards
  • Established
i go to gmu and half of my senior class from hs goes there. Im havent been able to get in touch of anybody there but wow....really sad

AM07

Awards
  • Established
All classes cancelled today and tomorrow. FOX News is reporting 32 dead while others are still reporting 22 dead.

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
CNN has 21 and counting...

This is sad.

My heart goes out to all those hurt and killed and thier families...

brass monkey

brass monkey

Awards
  • Established
This is unreal I live about 30 miles away and work up at Tech all the time so it really hits home. I'm just cant fathom the what could motivate someone to commit such an act it is just senseless.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I wouldn't doubt it if it was relationship issues. Those seem to really send the lunatics over the edge. This happened over the course of a few hours as well. The school was locked down after the first few killed and when they released them the others were killed. Terrible and tragic event. My prayers go out to the victims and their families/friends.

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I don't know why this surprises anybody. Their is alot of crazy people out their that are on the edge of snapping any second.

dlew308

dlew308

Awards
  • Established
What an awful tragedy. Time for schools to allow their students/teachers with valid CCW's to pack heat.

anabolicrhino

anabolicrhino

Awards
  • Established
It is a tough situation but, the school seems a little negligent in their lack of establishing a method of informing the student between the two incidents...an e-mail2 hour after the first incident , WTF?

bLacKjAck.

bLacKjAck.

Lift Heavy
Awards
  • Established
My genuine prayers go out to all of the families who have been affected by this horrible situation.

Guys, we really don't realize how lucky we are do live each day the way we do. I thank God every morning for the oppurtunity he has given me to live the way I do.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Man - crazy. Just crazy.
This world we live in....

I visited VaTech my senior year of high school. Thought long and hard about going to school - it was just too expensive.

I've been to 3 Miami-VaTech games up there in Lane Stadium. Mostly good fans.

Just insane to think how nice of a campus that is and all this sh*t happening.

Jayhawkk - thoughts as a cop?
I'm just dumbfounded how dude could walk across campus and 2 hours later kill another 30 kids.
I know they were sitting ducks in class rooms - but seems like someone would bum rush him (kid or cop) to put a stop.
Hell - I own a 3" knife. I can throw it fairly accurately - I'd have taken a shot at the dude's throat.

The whole situation pisses me off. These were just f*cking kids - studying engineering (which I did myself). They don't deserve this sh*t. :rant:

warnerve

Awards
  • Established
from what i understand, there wasn't much of anything done after the first incident because they believed the shooter left the area. the idea that people are getting shot in a dorm room on campus and then people are in class two hours later seems absurd to me

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
This sucks man. This is seriously gonna screw up a lot of people emotionally and mentally. 32 students dead and countless friends and family members that have to live with this for the rest of their lives. God, I can't imagine how someone would commit such an atrocity. The killer also took the easy way out by committing suicide, what a heartless POS ! If you're having a bad day then improve your situation with hard work, why go fvckin kill people ! ?

Mega NRG Man

Mega NRG Man

Awards
Man - crazy. Just crazy.
This world we live in....

I visited VaTech my senior year of high school. Thought long and hard about going to school - it was just too expensive.

I've been to 3 Miami-VaTech games up there in Lane Stadium. Mostly good fans.

Just insane to think how nice of a campus that is and all this sh*t happening.

Jayhawkk - thoughts as a cop?
I'm just dumbfounded how dude could walk across campus and 2 hours later kill another 30 kids.
I know they were sitting ducks in class rooms - but seems like someone would bum rush him (kid or cop) to put a stop.
Hell - I own a 3" knife. I can throw it fairly accurately - I'd have taken a shot at the dude's throat.

The whole situation pisses me off. These were just f*cking kids - studying engineering (which I did myself). They don't deserve this sh*t. :rant:
Dude was carrying a gun. I would just GTFO while I still could unless I was packing heat. Screw knives. I could be wielding Excalibur itself plucked straight from the Stone of legend and I'd still run away from somebody with a gun. :ntome:

Chances are he was probably driven into a bloodthirsty rage by somebody or some people. I only wish that innocent people didn't have to pay for the sins of a few. I suppose that is what happens when you mess with somebody one too many times-as proven by the thread on here where Otter almost flipped out on a guy for screwing with him.

mattyh7688

mattyh7688

Awards
  • Established
this is so sad.. i saw this while in my dorm and just was like wow, my prayers goes out to VT students and the families

CRUNCH

CRUNCH

Awards
  • Established
I don't agree with all the publicity the kid is now getting from that video. That's exactly what he wanted. NBC should not be showing that tape.

Plus what effect it may have on copy-cats. Some other whacked out kids seeing this, thinking look how everybody is going to remember this kid. Maybe I'll make a video and send it before going on a rampage so they can remember me. Not a good thing!! This kid is getting exactly what he wanted!!

2fresh

2fresh

Awards
Yah everday something new comes out and it's seriously annoying the hell outta me. I don't watch too much television but I've been sick for a day and BAM every channel every report everything on this kid and then I got onto Yahoo my homepage and It's him AGAIN!!

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
I don't agree with all the publicity the kid is now getting from that video. That's exactly what he wanted. NBC should not be showing that tape.

Plus what effect it may have on copy-cats. Some other whacked out kids seeing this, thinking look how everybody is going to remember this kid. Maybe I'll make a video and send it before going on a rampage so they can remember me. Not a good thing!! This kid is getting exactly what he wanted!!
Maybe some good will come of it. If we didn't have archival footage of Hitler and the Holocaust it'd be that much harder to teach people about it. If we didn't have archival footage of some kid going off the deep end, same thing. We're hearing a lot about first person shooters, violent movies and music up by me now in relation to this. Few if any people are asking about the violence this guy might have endured at the hands of others.

Maybe it's a Devil's Advocate position, but as a person who dealt with my own share of **** and who almost went ballistic myself once, most people don't just do this for ****s and giggles. Whether real or perceived, they get pushed to such extremes by various factors, and one of those factors is how others treat them. So while I'm sorry for the victims and their families and don't put any blame on them, I have to wonder what the last kind word or action the killer received was. I have to wonder how people treated him, and whether or not a little humanity would have gone a long way in preventing his slip off into the deep end.

Then again it's perfectly possible he was just a crazy ****.

CRUNCH

CRUNCH

Awards
  • Established
Well, no matter how much he may or may not have been tormented, it doesn't justify in any way, shape, or form, the killing of even one innocent person, let alone 32. And I hate the thought that the vidoe could possibly contribute to another kids ideas for revenge on people he never knew.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Well, no matter how much he may or may not have been tormented, it doesn't justify in any way, shape, or form, the killing of even one innocent person, let alone 32. And I hate the thought that the vidoe could possibly contribute to another kids ideas for revenge on people he never knew.
No it doesn't justify it. But it can help explain it, and is in my opinion and whole hell of a lot more relevant than first person shooter video games. That kind of rage and sickness doesn't just pop up out of no where.

sublimejeh

sublimejeh

Awards
  • Established
This whole event is f*cked up. Whats just as bad is how ignorant the news is being, releasing unnecessary photos of the gunman in public FREE newspapers. I just picked up a paper in NY today to see pictures of the gunman holding the pistols out, and another of it towards his head. Do you know how many little kids will be walking by the stand seeing this on the front page?! Not an ethical choice in my opinion

Mega NRG Man

Mega NRG Man

Awards
This whole event is f*cked up. Whats just as bad is how ignorant the news is being, releasing unnecessary photos of the gunman in public FREE newspapers. I just picked up a paper in NY today to see pictures of the gunman holding the pistols out, and another of it towards his head. Do you know how many little kids will be walking by the stand seeing this on the front page?! Not an ethical choice in my opinion
I don't even think the media could care about those who are now dead. They're only thinking of the publicity and the mass hysteria they can stir up with this incident. So it's better not to feed the machine by letting it bother you.:rant:

brass monkey

brass monkey

Awards
  • Established
The media exploitation of people lives for ratings is sicking. I have not seen the videos personally. Nor do I tend to. In the local paper some one wrote in trying to start a never speak the killers name campaign. To try and deny his recognition and erase his name from history. Its a great idea but there has been so much coverage I think it will be impossible.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
No it doesn't justify it. But it can help explain it, and is in my opinion and whole hell of a lot more relevant than first person shooter video games. That kind of rage and sickness doesn't just pop up out of no where.
Va. Tech shooter a 'textbook killer' - Yahoo! News

Pretty much what I thought - bulleyed and picked on in middle and high school. "Go back to China"??

I mean, really.

Some of us can relate to being picked on/bullyed through most of middle and high school.

That doesn't excuse it.

But - let me just say - BE DAMN CAREFUL who you f*ck with/bully/whatever these days. Some people have a damn temper - and you really don't know what they'll do with it.
Beat you up - maybe.
Do something totally wrong like this - maybe.
It is what it is.

Again - be careful.

Mega NRG Man

Mega NRG Man

Awards
Va. Tech shooter a 'textbook killer' - Yahoo! News

Pretty much what I thought - bulleyed and picked on in middle and high school. "Go back to China"??

I mean, really.

Some of us can relate to being picked on/bullyed through most of middle and high school.

That doesn't excuse it.

But - let me just say - BE DAMN CAREFUL who you f*ck with/bully/whatever these days. Some people have a damn temper - and you really don't know what they'll do with it.
Beat you up - maybe.
Do something totally wrong like this - maybe.
It is what it is.

Again - be careful.

You can only push somebody so far until they snap. Humans have an absolute limit line to how much stress and negative input they can take-basic Psychology. The models of the Ego, the Superego and the ID rationalize this.

However-I don't see why we, the public, need to pay for the actions of a few jocks and preps who felt like picking on the smaller guy. Which is why I feel guns should be even MORE accessible to the public, and it should be viable to carry them in public, unconcealed. That way if someone gets pushed over the edge by a few overblown idiots who can run really fast and lift large objects, and so belive they're invincible, or if someone gets nuts on some Anabolics( :ntome: ), and decides to empty some clips into the unsuspecting public, we can slap irons and shoot him before that can happen.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Pretty much my point. It doesn't justify what he did, but some killers are born and some are made. This kid was made from day 1. I had to use a knife on one ****er to finally get him to back off of me at school. Maybe some people don't realize how bad it can get, but this prick was intent on making my every waking moment in school a living hell and nobody did **** about it for a year straight, and the only reason I got away with the knife is because I had a paper trail of complaints and almost daily assaults on this guy. My dad stood by me and said flat out if they hit me with any punishment he'd rip them to pieces. It helped he was fairly popular local politician and the admin knew he could. But after nearly a year of literal, almost daily physical assaults from this guy about which they did nothing, I stood up for myself and they were going to kick me out.

Had it gone on a little longer before I finally got the chance to end it, I might have blown and taken some more people with me. Never know at this point, but some people get out and out brutalized by others their whole lives and they blow. And much as I can't stand them for doing so, maybe because I identify with them on too personal a level and know all they have to do is fight back, some people can't fight back. They don't know how, they don't have the balls, or the ability, who knows. But at a certain point you'll do anything to get rid of your tormentor(s) and anyone who could have helped you but didn't, which is usually everyone, is also an enemy in your mind. It's a ****ed up place to be mentally. Spend too much time there and you just might take out a building or two of people.

CRUNCH

CRUNCH

Awards
  • Established
I agree with a lot of that CDB. Although I think that these killers are both born and made. Their born already a bit unstable, then society (HS) pushes them over the edge of doing something like this kid did.

I was picked on pretty good in HS as well, not as bad as your experience sounds, but enough for it to still be a big part of my memory to this day. And probably still having an effect on my self-esteem to a degree.

The picking is why I started lifting weights at 12 yrs old. I figured if I could get big enough, they wouldn't bother me anymore. It took a couple years, but finally started working. By the end of my junior year/all of senior year, things got much better. I was considerably more muscular than any one person. The same bullies would still throw some insults, but they did it from a distance. I didn't have to fight them, as they would keep their distance. Probably why I made the mistake of doing steroids at 17 also. I was desperate for that muscle. Luckily there doesn't seem to be any damage from it.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
I agree with a lot of that CDB. Although I think that these killers are both born and made. Their born already a bit unstable, then society (HS) pushes them over the edge of doing something like this kid did.

I was picked on pretty good in HS as well, not as bad as your experience sounds, but enough for it to still be a big part of my memory to this day. And probably still having an effect on my self-esteem to a degree.
Just one ****er with me. The one kid at school who was bigger than me too. I was over six feet tall since 6th grade, so no one ever ****ed with me really, and when they did I could scare them off by looking mean like a fish that changes color or something.

The picking is why I started lifting weights at 12 yrs old. I figured if I could get big enough, they wouldn't bother me anymore. It took a couple years, but finally started working. By the end of my junior year/all of senior year, things got much better. I was considerably more muscular than any one person. The same bullies would still throw some insults, but they did it from a distance. I didn't have to fight them, as they would keep their distance. Probably why I made the mistake of doing steroids at 17 also. I was desperate for that muscle. Luckily there doesn't seem to be any damage from it.
All told and as much as I love working out, I think the knife was easier. (c:

anabolicrhino

anabolicrhino

Awards
  • Established
Now that the shock from the horror of the shootings is beginning to fade, there are some interesting questions that come to mind.

This guys weapons of choice were semi-automatic hand guns.

He had a kill to shot ratio of over 60%!!! that is professional trained
"hitman" type accuracy!

Where did he get his training?...from video games?...doubt it!

The only other explanation would be that after the surprise of the initial attacks, the other victims were just submissively executed without any struggle.

I find both senarios to be very disturbing

here is a gun experts opinion MIENFOKS: ODD WEAPONS OF CHOICE BY "VATECH" SHOOTER

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Now that the shock from the horror of the shootings is beginning to fade, there are some interesting questions that come to mind.

This guys weapons of choice were semi-automatic hand guns.

He had a kill to shot ratio of over 60%!!! that is professional trained
"hitman" type accuracy!
I don't know about the ratio, but last time I shot a Glock I couldn't keep the hits reliably center mass beyond ten feet. I've gotten glasses since then.

christopher

Awards
  • Established

EXACTLY!!! Notice how he referred to the Columbine killers as martyrs like him...? That was another case of the media making the wrong people "famous"....

anabolicrhino

anabolicrhino

Awards
  • Established
It makes you think about why NBC and it's corporate owners GE would want you to see this video? It helps no one, It was two days after the fact. Somebody had to "ok" it's airing.

It helps sell the "lone crazed gunman" theory.

What if this was an organized event?.. with three people: Cho- "the guy in the video"...and two shooters??

There was a law passed because of the 2006 shooting at VATECH, that any on campus shooting would be under the jurisdiction of the ATF, that explains why the campus police did not react,..but Where the F**k was the ATF for two hours.

How about the "Ismail Ax" written on Cho's arm?????

The video has Cho declaring himself to be a dissatisfied Christian
but "Ismail Ax" is Koran reference about destroying false idols.

How about the fact that out of several hundred professors Cho shot the only "holocaust survivor" Israeli professor?

..and how about that whole scary "We are Virginia Tech" video

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

It's tone was more like a celebration,... than a memorial ???

oh well just some thoughts !

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Always has to be some public declaration it seems. No one just takes the punch anymore. They got to go on Oprah.