anybody have dish network or direct tv??

wojo

wojo

Awards
  • Established
looking for feedback.mainly for dish network.im sick of my local cable companies prices and mafia style tactics(exaggerating but ticked off).rRight now i have no interest in HD or DVR's just looking for basic programing.wanna know how the service has been or if you would recommend it.thanx in advance

flytrapcan

flytrapcan

Awards
  • Established
I have Bev, but it using a FTA box - Viewsat Ultra. I love the abundance of movies - although quite repetitive until the new ones come on. Get lots of PPVus and PRON if you're looking for it.

Bump for paying subscribers.

Best Avatar I've seen in quite a while. Who is she?

Squeaks4ver

Squeaks4ver

Awards
  • Established
I had direct TV and it was alright. I did notice that depending on the night, the dish would keep looking for a new signal and stuff. That was no fun. I will say though that it beats the heck out of what i pay for cable, I have all the bells and whistles with my cable but even if i wanted basic, it would still almost run me 100 bucks a month. Go with it. or see if your phone company is doing cable.

sdmf45

sdmf45

Awards
  • Established
I had direct TV and it was alright. I did notice that depending on the night, the dish would keep looking for a new signal and stuff. That was no fun. I will say though that it beats the heck out of what i pay for cable, I have all the bells and whistles with my cable but even if i wanted basic, it would still almost run me 100 bucks a month. Go with it. or see if your phone company is doing cable.
I'm thinkin of switching to direct tv also cause I can't stand cable. Were the channels clear? My cable channels have all kind of interference...pisses me off.

By the way that is one hell of a pic!:D

wojo

wojo

Awards
  • Established
tried the phone company route which was a whole fiasco in itelf.our local cable company is comcast and its basically 85 bucks for one tv and you have to pay for additional boxes,i need 4 altogether i can get 4 boxes 200 channels and hbo for 75 bucks withdish or direct.my sister had direct and once in awhile she lost the pic but it was only for a minute and the picture was great.i wanted to try dish network tho as i heard they have better customer service and there dvr is a lot better then direct's which i heard nothing but bad reveiws of

BingeAndPurge

BingeAndPurge

Awards
  • Established
I've been absolutely furious with Time Warner/Adelphia/Comcast for a few years now, but it all came to a head when I moved and ran into a huge fiasco with returning their equipment. I have vowed to never use any of their services ever again.

The phone company here, Cincinnati Bell, does a bundle with one of the sat. companies that I plan on getting once I am ready. The only letdown is that they bundle with Showtime and not HBO as the initial premium. I also plan on checking with some of the smaller cable companies here.

wojo

wojo

Awards
  • Established
I've been absolutely furious with Time Warner/Adelphia/Comcast for a few years now, but it all came to a head when I moved and ran into a huge fiasco with returning their equipment. I have vowed to never use any of their services ever again.

The phone company here, Cincinnati Bell, does a bundle with one of the sat. companies that I plan on getting once I am ready. The only letdown is that they bundle with Showtime and not HBO as the initial premium. I also plan on checking with some of the smaller cable companies here.
dude check out dishnetwork
you can get both hbo and showtime for 22 bucks or one for 15..or you can get all 5 premiums for 50 bucks..i think im def getting dish network.

i have to keep comcast cable modem bc the phone lines in my neighborhood are copper. they have to upgrade them , once that is done im switching to dsl.the dsl office is 5 miles away from me so for me persoanlly i prob wont notice a different in connection speed

R

Rufus

Awards
Go with Dish Network. More HD channels and its way cheaper! Youll thank me later!

wojo

wojo

Awards
  • Established
yea im ordering tomorrow..thank you..now i just have to find a good voip

Squeaks4ver

Squeaks4ver

Awards
  • Established
I'm thinkin of switching to direct tv also cause I can't stand cable. Were the channels clear? My cable channels have all kind of interference...pisses me off.

By the way that is one hell of a pic!:D

Everything came in really clear, and I think that it does a better job with High Deff TV as well. I say its worth the money.

and thank you for the comment about my picture... :)

wojo

wojo

Awards
  • Established
ok well i ordered dish,had to agree for a 18 month contract which is fine because i get a dvr, protection plan and guraranteed no price increase till jan 2009.plus even if i dont like dish i refuse to use comcast and would rather throw a antenna up on the roof..lol

seriously tho if anyone is interested in hearing my results let me know i will keep u updated in this thread.they will be here sunday to install

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have Direct TV. Love it.

True Story:

When it rains really heavy here in South Florida I lose the signal every now and then. Its no big deal to me because I knew that going in.

Fall of 2005, Hurricane Wilma comes ripping through and I'm up at 5am with 100mph winds blowing outside, rain slamming against the hurricane shutters......I'm still watching coverage on TV with Direct TV.

Go figure...

SSFgear

SSFgear

Awards
I have DirectTV and it's ok, it drops out when it rains hard or shows. Our local cable company doesn't carry the UFC or Pride so I had no choice. I've been with DirectTV for over 6 years now.

dlew308

dlew308

Awards
  • Established
Let us know how it goes, I'm looking to switch to Dish as well.

wojo

wojo

Awards
  • Established
my sister and her husband actually hd direct tv and they liked it the only reason they switch was because they got comcast broadband and decided to go with the digital cable to because of the deal they offered so i do have some experience .i will keep you updated.now i have to find a good VOIP..lol

dlew308

dlew308

Awards
  • Established
i use packet8 for voip. I've had it around a year, no problems so far.

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
have had Dish for some years now, am considering switching to DirecTV, as it looks like I can get equivalent level of service for less money - any feedback on this?

wojo

wojo

Awards
  • Established
actuallydish is cheaper which is why i went with dish.least in my area.

dlew308

dlew308

Awards
  • Established
did you get it installed yet? I just noticed the hd dvr is free now (was $200).
I'm so tempted to dump charter right now!

dlew308

dlew308

Awards
  • Established
you get 3 free months of 1 premium channel, this isn't listed but you can ask for playboy as one of them :clap2:

wojo

wojo

Awards
  • Established
nah it will be installed sunday.both dish and direct tv have the premium free for 3 months(dish gives u all 4 premium channels for 40 bucks or 5 including playboy for 50, there 15-13 individually not sure about direct).i researched the hell out of both of them.direct tv's dvr is notoriously bad,cnet.com has the reveiws.direct gives you your local channels for free but dish charges 5.95,direct tv makes you pay for each individual reciever after the first one ..5 bucks each.dish has dual recievers so you only need 1 reciever (and dvr) for 2 tv's(2 remotes one infrared and one radio remote..also if your connecting 2 tv's they have to connect it to a phone line,which they will run for you if they have to).direct has 10 hd channels dish has 30(i am only getting standard right now).i am also locked in on the price they quoted me till jan of 09

from what i read both work great you jus have to see which suits you best.i will reveiw my dish experience after it is in stall sunday and in the coming weeks,from the installation to how well the dvr works to reception

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Dish Network has more HD channels..more channels in general..

The reason many people go with Direct TV is the Sports packages...its the reason I went with it...I see my teams when I want even though I'm 1200 miles away. NFL, NHL, NBA, etc....if you are local then it doesn't matter.

Direct TV will have more HD channels than Dish by the end of 2007 though.

Future Plans (Confirmed) Launching in 2007 -

MTV-HD MTV website
Golf Channel/Versus HD
USA Network HD
Sci Fi Channel HD
TBS HD in September 2007
A&E HD
Bravo HD
The History Channel HD
Cartoon Network HD in September 2007
FX HD
CNN HD in Septmeber 2007
The Weather Channel HD in Septemeber 2007
Food Network HD
HGTV HD
Speed HD
NFL Network HD (full time Channel)
National Geographic HD
Cinemax HD
Starz HD
Encore HD
Chiller HD - Launches - March 1 2006
Big Ten Network HD - Possibily in August 2007
Sleuth HD
WGN SuperStation HD (Directv Expressed Interest in this channel)
YES HD - Full time channel - Possibily on 4/1/2007
ESPNews-HD By end of 2007

Future Plans (Unofficial) Launching in 2007 -

TMC HD
InHD HD
Starz HD On Demand (VOD)
OLN HD (Full Time Channel)
FOX HD Suite (Directv Exclusive)
ALL Voom HD Channels - is in talks to buy Voom HD and become the owner of them
And Much More... Stay tuned...
And Rumors are spreading that The RSN's HD channels will be available to every customers nationaly will no longer be spot beamed in 2007....

Coming mid-October 2006 (Games Only)

*MSG HD,
*FSN New York HD,

wojo

wojo

Awards
  • Established
yea HD is not somethng im looking for right now but both direct and dish offer way more HD then cable.just wished dish or direct had howard stern ondemand

wojo

wojo

Awards
  • Established
ok well they came 2day and installed..they had a few holdups..lol..as my father had wired all the rooms with cable and there was some confusion with what wire went were.all in all tho it went pretty smooth and right now i am loving it.ui already tried the dvr,set it to record battle star tongith and it went smoothly.this is of course only the first day and i will update u as time goes on but so far so good

GREENFEATHER

GREENFEATHER

Awards
We have Direct TV here and love it. I could care less about the HD stuff, just give me my rugby and Formula 1 .