St. Anger

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
bought it a few hours ago... have heard dozens of clips, followed the recording of the thing and the band in the studio for the past half year now, gotten as much behind the scenes info as I can etc etc... and I was STILL surprised by the very very raw production on the thing... you likely will be too I'm guessing. but, turn it up... way, way up... and it sounds just fine :D

fucking rocks, I tell you. buy it, buy it now.

NPursuit

Awards
  • Established
I'm a huge old school metallica fan, and the other day I finally heard the track St. Anger. I don't know if it was the system I heard it on, but it sucked. Sucked hard. In fact I think it's the worst Metallica song I've ever heard. It sounded like a 14yr old garage band trying to sound like linkin park with the background vocals. I hope the rest of the songs are better

ironviking

The Axe Man Cometh!!
Awards
  • Established
Old school Metallica was the ****, I'm talking late 80's up to "And Justice for All". "Ride the Lightning" is still my favorite, also crank "Master of Puppets" once in while. Damn I miss those days.

SCORPIO

Awards
  • Established
I'm a huge old school metallica fan, and the other day I finally heard the track St. Anger. I don't know if it was the system I heard it on, but it sucked. Sucked hard. In fact I think it's the worst Metallica song I've ever heard. It sounded like a 14yr old garage band trying to sound like linkin park with the background vocals. I hope the rest of the songs are better
This is a very accurate comment in my opinion. St. Anger is possibly the worst Metallica song ever, it just sux donkey nutz. Heard one other song off the cd which was ok, but not all that great. I think the black album was their last good album....not a fan of anything after that. The music on the new cd sounds a bit more raw and heavy than the last two albums. James Hetfield just can't sing the way he used to. Old Metallica is the ****.

NPursuit

Awards
  • Established
Originally posted by SCORPIO

This is a very accurate comment in my opinion. St. Anger is possibly the worst Metallica song ever, it just sux donkey nutz. Heard one other song off the cd which was ok, but not all that great. I think the black album was their last good album....not a fan of anything after that. The music on the new cd sounds a bit more raw and heavy than the last two albums. James Hetfield just can't sing the way he used to. Old Metallica is the ****.

I know right!  When I heard it was going to be more raw and heavy.  I didn't think it meant it was going to sound like sh*t.  It sounds like it was produced in a garage.  What's with the background vocals?  Sounds like a piss poor attempt at a rock/rap sound.

It's a sad time for the best metal/rock band of all time.  Oh well I still rock Ride the Ligtning and Master of Puppets every workout.

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
Haven't got the album yet (will today), but I've been listening to the single (St. Anger). Have to say I hated it at first, but it's growing on me real quick, except the shitty background vocal part by their new bassist.

Ibanez

Awards
I really didn't like it too much. I would listen to it over hiphop and rap, but if I had my choice I would listen to their older material or a different band.

wardog

Awards
  • Established
Give me my old Metalica any day of the week! Ride the lightning is STILL the best workout album!

Jarconis

Jarconis

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
sounds like they spent 500 bucks recording it...

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
yea, i hope they dont play these new songs at Summer Sanitarium this July. ill be pretty disappointed if they do.

someone told me last night at a party that it was only going for $10?

it might be worth buying if its true just to add to my Metallica collection.

Anxed

Awards
someone told me last night at a party that it was only going for $10?

its $9.99 at Breast Buy, I believe...

and I, for one, think the new CD kicks ass...

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
[/size][/font]

its $9.99 at Breast Buy, I believe...

and I, for one, think the new CD kicks ass...
what the hell is Breast Buy? isn't that like a discount place for boob jobs?:p

heh, thanx.

Hal

Awards
I kinda like the mix. Sounds like a garage band...reminds me of the early stuff...certainly not as hard as their first three albums, but I don't much care for anything they've put out after Master. Not that I'm necessarily a hard-core metal guy...Kate Bush is my all time favorite artist and I just picked up Barry Manilow's Best of....just had to have "Copacabana", but when I want some metal I put in "Ride the Lightening", the Misfits' "Walk Among US", Motorhead's "Ace of Spades" , Entombed's "Wolverine Blues" or Slayer's "Reign in Blood"---best hard metal album ever!
Remember how cool Metallica used to be? "We'll never do videos", every song was at least 6 minutes long. Then, they did the video for One..."it's a video on our terms"...then all the radio friendly crap that followed...not to mention their bitching about Napster...I'm an intellectual property attorney (odonnell-law.net) so I understand copyright concerns a little better than most...but it's not wise to try to make a public plea when you're extremely rich...especially when your trying to maintain some street-cred.
In general, I think they started their downward spiral once they ran out of Mustaine licks.

that's my $.02

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
I'll probably be pickin it up soon. Along with some more megadeth, and some vehemance (sp?).

ManBeast

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
In general, I think they started their downward spiral once they ran out of Mustaine licks.
im chomping at the bit and my palms are getting wet, sweating bullets.....................!!!

haha, sorry couldn't help myself.

NPursuit

Awards
  • Established
Originally posted by Jergo

what the hell is Breast Buy? isn't that like a discount place for boob jobs?:p

heh, thanx.

LOL somebody had titties on the brain!

Hal

Awards
Slightly off topic, but my favorite Megadeth is Rust in Peace...Killing is my Business is a close second.

Hal

Awards
If you like to gamble, I tell you I'm your man...you win some, lose some...it's all the same to me

Hal

Awards
"Coalesce Into One Your Shadow And Soul
Soon You Will Meet The Undead
Enter To The Realm Of Satan"

Hal

Awards
I'll stop now...I'm showing my age.
Kinda like the time when I was 12 that my Dad tried to tell me than Johnny Cash was the baddest bad ass ever. I discounted him at the time, but now I realize that I'd rather have Johnny Cash behind me (in his prime) than anyone else. He never posed! MoFo is harder-core than anyone!

motleybreu

Awards
i think they spent more time on screaming then on quality of there sound...most songs sound the same and lars is a little too double bass drum friendly...i do like the lyrics, if you know the history of metallica and the **** james hetfield's been through, you'll understand the lyrics and what he's screaming about...but im only a musician, what do i know?:D

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
yea, i know what u mean. all their songs have a common point to them. its kinda like their all linked somehow.

i wish we could send them back to the fountain of youth.

btw, did u hear what Jason Newstead said a little while ago? he said that he wants Metallica to tour with his "new" band so he can kick their a$$es.

ROFLMAO!!!! ok, ok buddy thats enough. u can sit down now.
what a friggin d*ickwad!!!

besides his contributions to And Justice For All........, id spit in that dudes face for sayin some $hit like that. as if he was the end all be all of Metallica. pfff......gimme a break.

EDIT: oh yea, sorry for the harsh language. viewer's discretion is advised.

motleybreu

Awards
i did notice a lot more bass...i heard bob rock's playing on the cd because the new guy is too recent or something

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
i hate bob

ManBeast

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
ok, after I finally bought it:

like Frantic and St. Anger, the rest mean nothing to me so far (blah)

the whole "garage band" sound isn't working for me, I was pissed when I heard the quality. It may be "novel" and "neat" for them, I think it just sounds like **** :mad:

It took me a few months to like the black album at first too though,s o we'll see I guess

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
kinda funny weave, those are the two I don't really care for :D

something else I find odd: on my big home surround stereo, sounds like ****... on my pc speakers, sounds awesome, and in my car, sounds awesome. only time I really listen to anything other than ambient background music though is in the car.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
The snare drum kills me. It sounds like an old school punk band snare. Real high with no umph!

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
yeah the quality is ****, although they were obviously going for that, who knows why :mad:

In my car it sounds the worst, of course that is my best stereo setup also ;)

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
yeah the quality is ****, although they were obviously going for that, who knows why :mad:
well, I think it probably has something to do with their attitude, and the attitudes that the "metallica sucks" crowd have had since the black album... people bitched and moaned on and on and on about the overproduced slow glossy Load stuff, so what happens? they put out some very off the cuff sounding, barely produced at all jam session sounding stuff... I think they must get a kick out of it. tell you what though, if they stick to the setlists they've been playing recently for the summer tour here in the states, folks will be in for a treat. it's been almost exclusively stuff from lightning, puppets, and justice with a few of the new tunes and one or two from kill em all.

Hal

Awards
Now, Justice was poorly produced...and the songs sucked.
St. Anger has good songs (heavist since Master, IMO, but...too many 'melodic interludes' for my taste) and has a really cheap-sounding mix. I kinda like the way it reminds me of picking up mid-late 80's "crossover" metal albums.
They became way too pop. St Anger might not be their best, but it's good to know that they can still thrash.
I think their next album will settle whom is their fan base. It may be poseurs that think they're hardcore or it may be thrashers. I'll reserve my final decision until then (I tentatively made my decision a few albums ago...but the new one made me rethink a bit).

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
hey biggs, are u talkin about the summer sanitarium sets? if so, kick a$$!!

i dont think the "garage" sound would be so bad if it wasnt for those background lyrics.

IMO they just dont go together, esp when the the songs slows down, speeds up, changes, etc.

i wish they would just stick to their "natural" lyric tones, and play sort of a speed metal. but, since they are older the speed metal wouldnt prolly work as well. but then, they should just stick to that "garage" sound but make it less grungy and cut out those stupid bkgd. lyrics.

i guess its easier said than done-- eventhough its still hard to explain.

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
yeah bro... here, for example, is what they have played recently:

Date: Jun 7, 2003
Venue: Wuhlheide
Map: n/a
Outlook Reminder: n/a
Other Artists:
Setlist: Battery
Master Of Puppets
Ride The Lightning
Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
For Whom The Bell Tolls
Frantic
The Thing That Should Not Be
St. Anger
No Remorse
Seek and Destroy
Fight Fire With Fire
------
Harvester Of Sorrow
Nothing Else Matters
Blackened
------
Sad But True
Enter Sandman
----------------------------

Date: May 18, 2003
Venue: The Fillmore
Map: Click Here
Other Artists: CKY
Setlist: Hit the Lights
The Four Horsemen
Harvester of Sorrow
Frantic
Sad But True
Phantom Lord
Leper Messiah
No Remorse
Fade to Black
Master of Puppets
Damage Inc.
Ride the Lightning
For Whom the Bell Tolls
Blackened
Last Caress
Am I Evil?
Motorbreath

------------------------------

Date: May 19, 2003
Venue: The Fillmore
Map: n/a
Other Artists: Systematic
Setlist: Blackened
No Remorse
Ride the Lightning
The Thing That Should Not Be
Frantic
Creeping Death
Whiplash
Leper Messiah
Master of Puppets
One
Battery
Harvester of Sorrow
Seek and Destroy
Hit the Lights
So What
Breadfan
Damage, Inc.
------------------------

etc etc.. they all look like that... and I'm noticing a peculiar absence of Load/Reload :D

motleybreu

Awards
i heard that they were going for the garage sound to make them seem bad. To prove that they are bad ass they figured they'd put out a shitty album so everyone would be pissed. Then they're going to put out another album in the future that will put them back in the spotlight. Def Leppard did it, coming back with Pour Some Sugar on Me. It's all politics and all about the money. It's a business that Metallica is going to succeed in, only because they don't know how to fail.

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
biggs, thanx, thats some sweet sheeit. they need to just quit makin copies of load, re-load, and ban it--at least in the states. and act like it never happened.

"Load, re-load, what are u talkin about?"

motley, heh, u must have heard that from my brain. for real tho i was just thinkin of thats why they did it. but couldn't come up with an explanation as to why.

plus, a lot of younger people will probably buy it because they dont really know what they used to sound like, and they wanna hear some metal. esp when u have people marketing it as the next revelation at record stores.

if Metallica just wants to make people happy and get some street respect, i think they should just sell their older albums for $6.99:D

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
Originally posted by Hal
blasphemy, damn you Hal, damn you to hell!!! :D

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
It's a business that Metallica is going to succeed in
well, if you're speaking from a business perspective, ya don't sell 90 million albums worldwide over 20 yrs and FAIL now do ya :D

interestingly, the year that Newsted left and James went into rehab (read: the year they didn't put out an album, tour, or get anything done at all) they STILL made 20 million dollars... not bad.

motleybreu

Awards
I also read that Newsted wants to go on tour with Metallica so he can prove that he can kick there asses. Now he's a decent bassist, but no way can any of his songs beat Metallica. It's just not possible. If Cliff Burton wasn't killed, who knows what Metallica would be today...

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
Well... I agree with the shitty production part, you can't hear **** for Newstead's bass work, but other than that Justice is a damn good album.

ManBeast

Hal

Awards
Biggs: That is a setlist I would pay for!

motleybreu: I prefer to think that the new album is an attempt to recapture those of us that still put on Kill, Ride and Master and ignore everything since then. If they follow up St. Anger the same way the Def Leppard followed Pyromania (putting out a really dull, but radio-friendly album--not that Pyromania wasn't radio-friendly enough (but that was their gig)), then they'll become nothing more than what they claim to hate. I think they can still write great riffs, but it seems like they're trying too hard to be artistic. I think the new album would be great live.

jweave23 & ManBeast: Well guys, you are entitled to your opinions about Justice, you're still wrong ; ) Justice had an unlistenable mix...no bass, the drums all sounded like shallow toms. Too many extended interludes and not enough thrash. It was a huge let-down from the building sound of the first three.

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
my thoughts here, based on everything I've seen and heard of James, Lars, etc lately is that after the loose, jam session type creation of St. Anger (James out of rehab, puts basic feelings down with some writing help of other three, collect some heavy riffs and voila) and their subsequent rediscovery of the fun in creating very heavy, dynamic songs (read: like old ****), I think the NEXT one will be the one to watch for... I'm thinking (hoping, based on what they've said in recent documentary footage and interviews) for some solo work, and maybe more complex lyrics, brought into the 21st century Metallica style... just hope it doesn't take a half decade again :D

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
by the way, check this **** out... some dude made some EXCELLENT sounding remixes of some of the songs... notice, it no longer sounds like the stereo is on the other side of the wall and your ears are no longer stuffed with cotton... he also added some of his own ****, and I think it's pretty stellar.

St. Anger Remixes

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
I think you're dead on Biggs, the next album will be kickass!

EVANESCENCE

Awards
The sound is differnt. It sounds like they are trying to bring back the fast tempo head bangin ****, but brought in some repeatitive heavy rythmatic guitar riffs also. You can clearly tell what they are trying to do. The cool repeatitive riffs (Frantic for example) are in these days. They really have not done a fast tempoed song since the black album. So you can tell they are trying to find a way to fit an old school sound, in with the new. Face it, only hardcore Metallica fans would be interested in their old sound. I agree it is their best. But its just not going to happen. I will say they got alot closer to it this time around.

I would have never thought it was Metallica if James never opened his mouth. I thought Lars had more sense than to tune the snare so off pitch and loose. Sounds like an old rusted bucket.

Personally I like Cd though. I like Frantic, St.Anger, Sweet Amber, and #5 whatever that is. It keeps growing on me. Hopefully they are just trying to start over, and this is step one. Like the garage days. That bass player has an "Off the Hook" stage appearnce. He fits right in.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
The only song I dig at the moment is Shoot me again, the rest of the songs don't get me pumped up like One, Master of Puppets, Seek and Destroy, Sanitarium etc. I hope they go back to that kind of quality which made them what they are

NPursuit

Awards
  • Established
I just heard Frantic the other day.

Someone needs to talk them into retirement. Rock in general has sucked hard for the last few years though.

max silver

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I downloaded several of the tracks a week or so again and after hearing about 1 minute of 1 of the tracks (no clue which one) I haven't been able to bring myself to listen to any of the rest of them. What particulary struck me was the garbage production quality of this, and Hetfield doing his best/worst Tom Araya impression. God, the whole experience was terrifying to say the least. Someday I suppose I should give this another chance, but there's so much else out there to listen to that doesn't make me cringe upon inititial listen that I don't know if I will.

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
After a few weeks in heavy rotation in my CD player, I'm really getting into St. Anger, Frantic, and Sweet Amber...growing on me bigtime. The rest still aren't doing anything for me....yet. :)