Intel designs chip capable of more than a trillion calculations a second

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Found this on another board, know there are some tech heads in here.

Intel designs chip capable of more than a trillion calculations a second | CP

Intel designs chip capable of more than a trillion calculations a second

SAN JOSE, Calif. (AP) - Intel Corp. has designed a computer chip that promises to perform calculations as quickly an entire data centre - while consuming as much energy as a light bulb.
The world's biggest chipmaker said Sunday it developed a programmable processor that can perform about one trillion calculations a second, or deliver a performance of 1.01 teraflops. It accomplishes this feat while consuming 62 watts of power when the chip is running at a frequency of 3.16 gigahertz.

A similarly powerful supercomputer in 1996 at Sandia National Laboratories took up more than 180 square metres, used nearly 10,000 Pentium Pro processors and consumed more than 500 kilowatts of electricity.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
cyberdyne systems model 101
Not yet, fortunately or unfortunately. I remember reading about neural net research and how some guys had managed to 'teach' a neural net computer to recognize various letters in differring fonts and styles, even if it hadn't seen them before. I wonder how far that kind of research has gone. AI on the Terminator level will, I hope, be out of reach for quite some time.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • Legend!
Amazing on some of the things we can accomplish while others remain unchanged.