Nation wide gym chain says "No Grunting"

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    58.27%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Nation wide gym chain says "No Grunting"

I don't have the name of this chain because they haven't mentioned it yet. This is coming from the "Today Show". If you "grunt" while working out, go find another place to train. Ahh, The United States. First we define the "Metrosexual" and now this. Train hard folks, you are guaranteed to stick out among the new world inhabitants. What a candy ass world we live in.

Can someone please post the vid of this story when it airs, thanks.

2. Recovering AXoholic
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.16%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Maybe it's the "curves" chain.
    Athletic Xtreme Rep
    Bob@athleticxtreme.com
    IFFI
    Ask me about the Athletic Xtreme Product Line
  3. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    62.65%
    Achievements Posting Pro

The name of the chain is Planet Fitness. At least i'm pretty sure it is. That place is a metrosexual gym, more like a nightclub or some s***. Lets get dressed up and put on our metrosexual makeup and go hit the gym and talk to other p***ys about the color mauve.

I think they also have an alarm they ring to call you out if you broke the rules by grunting.
    •   

4. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.4%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Mach .78 View Post
    I don't have the name of this chain because they haven't mentioned it yet. This is coming from the "Today Show". If you "grunt" while working out, go find another place to train. Ahh, The United States. First we define the "Metrosexual" and now this. Train hard folks, you are guaranteed to stick out among the new world inhabitants. What a candy ass world we live in.

Can someone please post the vid of this story when it airs, thanks.
    Phucking Ridiculous!!!!...What an outrage!!!?..If you are gonna work out hard, you may need to "Grunt!"..This guy was just breathing!!!!...Breath in through your nose durning eccentric, out through your mouth during concentric!!!..Damn it!,heres the link,

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Heres their website, feel free to send nasty hate mail!,

Planet Fitness® -- The Judgment Free Zone®
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  252 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.79%
    Achievements Posting Pro

My wife and I saw that this morning. The *****fying of America continues.

I wonder what the average mans test level is in there?
  6. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    18.62%

hatemail sent
  7. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.04%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Wow! Thats all i can say! Wow! I think I am gonna go eat some raw meat in a corner and grunt to myself.
    My The 1 LOG: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/steroids/254164-my-one-log.html
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  265 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.89%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

****, I thought Bally's was pretty metrosexual. That place just walked away with metrosexual gym award of the year. I never really grunt but I do breathe pretty damn hard sometimes and from the sounds of it I would be grunting, WTF happened to our world !
  9. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.4%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Warrior View Post
    ****, I thought Bally's was pretty metrosexual. That place just walked away with metrosexual gym award of the year. I never really grunt but I do breathe pretty damn hard sometimes and from the sounds of it I would be grunting, WTF happened to our world !
    Yeah Bally bought out some planet fitness gyms..I saw an article while searching about this. Anyway here is an article as opposed to a video,

No Grunting, They Said, and He Was at the Gym - New York Times
  10. She thinks my traps'rrrr sexy!
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    57.52%

I try not to grunt, but sometimes it's unavoidable IMO...

Like when that hot fitness model is over in the corner with spandex on doing Smith Squats.
  11. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    43.79%

I wonder what the punishment is for dry heaving or puking after squats?

Edit: It also says that the lunk alarm will go off if someone Judges..isn't that what they do?
  12. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.18%

I think they just dont want big people there, they probly want to maintain an image of being a casual gym, Im sure a lot of girls there do bone toning rep ranges to burn fat, as instructed by the trainers ofcourse.
  13. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.35%

They made one exception:

The only grunting allowed is when you're hitting your buddy in the can in the steam room.
  14. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.27%

I heard on the radio that some guy was kicked out after grunting while benching 500 + lbs.

I think golds will be next. Some dude at my gym said they arent getting anything over 120 db's because "they dont want rude meat heads in here." They have also "walled off" half the gym for womens use only.

We need to get COMPLETLEY pussified, just like we got completley disko in the 70's. Only then will things start to go back to normal.

update- Their slogan is "the judgement free zone." Unless your a meat head I guess.
  15. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.4%

Quote Originally Posted by spatch View Post
    I heard on the radio that some guy was kicked out after grunting while benching 500 + lbs.

I think golds will be next. Some dude at my gym said they arent getting anything over 120 db's because "they dont want rude meat heads in here." They have also "walled off" half the gym for womens use only.

We need to get COMPLETLEY pussified, just like we got completley disko in the 70's. Only then will things start to go back to normal.

update- Their slogan is "the judgement free zone." Unless your a meat head I guess.

The guy was squating 500+, read the links. Anyway, I agree with you. They are contradicting themselves by saying, "Judgement Free Zone", when they are themselves judging anyone who pushes themselves enough to make some kind noise while working out.
  16. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.18%

Whats stupid is by not exhaling properly during a lift you can do damage to your eyes.
    News in Science - Pumping iron can damage your eyes - 12/09/2006

Idiots, what the hell do they teach personal trainers in class anyway.
  17. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    29.57%

Well so far there's not rule about farting And thank GOD for that because I would have been handcuffed and taken away by the police during my workout yesterday

Btw, how much you want to bet that the same complainers would have no problem sitting in a preacher curl bench with a 20 lb dumb bell in one hand and their cell phone in the other "Ohh My GAAWWD DID YOU SEE IDOL LAST NIGGHHT!???".

So soft
  18. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    81.28%

Stupid for it to not be allowed, but grunting is pretty annoying. Is it really necessary?
  19. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    12.02%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Ugh?
    :squat:
  20. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.05%

Quote Originally Posted by wideguy View Post

Btw, how much you want to bet that the same complainers would have no problem sitting in a preacher curl bench with a 20 lb dumb bell in one hand and their cell phone in the other "Ohh My GAAWWD DID YOU SEE IDOL LAST NIGGHHT!???".

So soft
    In the video when they showed the rules on the wall, I think it said No Cell phones and a bunch of other things.
  21. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    43.79%

Here is some user quotes from the Planet Fitness website relating to this:

"You truly are the Judgment Free Zone. I never hear the body builders grunting and groaning, or weights slamming around... It's also great to see people in wheel chairs or with disabilities getting in on the machines just as easily as everyone else. Everyone is equal!"
    — Samantha M.

"There are people of all ages, shapes and sizes. The staff does a great job of putting a halt to any show-off behavior before it gets out of control. The atmosphere is just easy going. It's great!"
    — Adrienne D.

"I love the fact that it is not a muscle gym and all types of people/fitness levels can work out together"
    — Brenda A.
  22. Snuggle Club™ mascot
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.67%

I may not like their policy but I don't have to be a member there. I think private enterprise should have the right to run their business anyway they want (within legal boundaries).

It would be interesting to open a gym with a "no-metro" rule or a "no homos in the locker room" rule or a "no fat trainer" rule. I'm sure the ACLU would be all over that one.
  23. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    43.79%

Quote Originally Posted by bpmartyr View Post
    I may not like their policy but I don't have to be a member there. I think private enterprise should have the right to run their business anyway they want (within legal boundaries).

It would be interesting to open a gym with a "no-metro" rule or a "no homos in the locker room" rule or a "no fat trainer" rule. I'm sure the ACLU would be all over that one.

I wonder how long it would take for you to be shut down when you 1st fire your "no lisp alarm"
  24. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    80.22%

this is a retarded rule.
  25. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.27%

you thtop that you meat head

I love, LOVE the TOTALLY DISGUSTED faces middle age house wives make when me or someone grabs the 120 off the DB rack. It makes my day every time.

I cant wait until I am strong enough to permanently bend the bar when doing squats
  26. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    29.57%

Uh it's not a gym for everyone despite what they claim. Otherwise the guy who makes a little noise or lets out the occasional grunt would be allowed also.

It's a stupid rule but hardly shocking considering all the completely idiot BS that gets passed as rules/laws we encounter every day.

I've seen the no cell phone rule sign before also. In fact I've seen it posted with no grunting. However, I've seen plenty of people on their phones for long periods of time blabbing away and nobody says a word. On the other hand I've seen guys get asked to be quite or leave for grunting. I wasn't a memeber at the gym this took place but rather had a free month's pass (actually I had 2 free 1 month passes). Anyway I couldn't stand the people there so after one day of being verbally insulted by some trainer pointing out to a client how I was using too much weight and that my squat form was terrible (I was doing GOOD MORNINGS!), so I ate very close to my next squat workout and vommited tuna in the trash can next to his cubicle.
  27. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    81.28%

Quote Originally Posted by wideguy View Post
    Uh it's not a gym for everyone despite what they claim. Otherwise the guy who makes a little noise or lets out the occasional grunt would be allowed also.

It's a stupid rule but hardly shocking considering all the completely idiot BS that gets passed as rules/laws we encounter every day.

I've seen the no cell phone rule sign before also. In fact I've seen it posted with no grunting. However, I've seen plenty of people on their phones for long periods of time blabbing away and nobody says a word. On the other hand I've seen guys get asked to be quite or leave for grunting. I wasn't a memeber at the gym this took place but rather had a free month's pass (actually I had 2 free 1 month passes). Anyway I couldn't stand the people there so after one day of being verbally insulted by some trainer pointing out to a client how I was using too much weight and that my squat form was terrible (I was doing GOOD MORNINGS!), so I ate very close to my next squat workout and vommited tuna in the trash can next to his cubicle.
    LOL, at you sitting at home eating your tuna thinking about how you're going to ruin this douche's day by puking next to his office.
  28. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.53%

You have to wonder what kind of person feels 'judged' because someone is noticably performing better than they are. BP is right though, we don't have to train there and now we know not to waste time and money signing up there. The establishment of these kinds of rules and these kinds of gyms can only spur, if the market will bear it, the official or unofficial rise of gyms who serve the opposite demographic. And I know a few gays who would take issue with all the association of anti grunting with gays. It's people who feel threatened by those who excell who are driving this.

And maybe consider they have a point. Stereotypes almost always have some root in truth, and the stereotypical meathead is someone I'd rather not have around as is the stereotypical person who is afraid of grunting. I remember one bloated prick who kept walking up to me at an old gym around here when I was rehabbing my knee, telling me I wasn't using enough weight and changing it without being asked for help. Don't let the development of egalitarian gyms bother you. Let people who wish to pussify themselves do so, find an appropriate gym with power racks and chalk and train in the darkness, and then we'll take over the whole ****ing world when it turns out there's no one willing to install the equipment at the anti grunting gyms who's actually strong enough to do so.
  29. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  196 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    29%

or a "no fat trainer" rule.
    THAT, my friend would be awesome. I feel so bad for people PAYING to working out with fat, pear shaped trainers that only walk them around the circuit. I see it every day, makes me ill. I think my gym is eyeing me to throw my ass out come to think of it. I do grunt at times and drop dumbells to evil looks.
  30. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.35%

Quote Originally Posted by CDB View Post
    Let people who wish to pussify themselves do so, find an appropriate gym with power racks and chalk and train in the darkness, and then we'll take over the whole ****ing world when it turns out there's no one willing to install the equipment at the anti grunting gyms who's actually strong enough to do so.
    That made my day.
  31. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.27%

Quote Originally Posted by Rivet View Post

"I love the fact that it is not a muscle gym and all types of people/fitness levels can work out together"
    — Brenda A.
    I love how everyone is welcome and there are no meat heads?
  32. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    34.01%

You think YOU guys are disgusted???? I actually am a member there. Before you guys get any ideas of why im a member is because its so cheap and its 5 mins away from my house. Now what really sucks is it used to be a WORLD GYM and it was everything i dreamed of. When it turned into P.F there went a decline bench, pec deck, incline bench, a squat rack, and countless other good machines/eqiupment not to mention dumbells over 80lbs. Now whats left is a "pussified" gym minus whats has been squeezed into a corner for us to cram into. Oh they just "banned" t-bar rows where you angle an olympic bar into a corner...against the rules now. The original owner was Katz too.....whatta shame.........
  33. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.53%

Why the hell did they ban t bar rows for God's sake?
  34. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.27%

Quote Originally Posted by dadream View Post
    You think YOU guys are disgusted???? I actually am a member there. Before you guys get any ideas of why im a member is because its so cheap and its 5 mins away from my house. Now what really sucks is it used to be a WORLD GYM and it was everything i dreamed of. When it turned into P.F there went a decline bench, pec deck, incline bench, a squat rack, and countless other good machines/eqiupment not to mention dumbells over 80lbs. Now whats left is a "pussified" gym minus whats has been squeezed into a corner for us to cram into. Oh they just "banned" t-bar rows where you angle an olympic bar into a corner...against the rules now. The original owner was Katz too.....whatta shame.........
    Why do they ban T-bar rows? And why did they ditch equipment? I could see not buying it maybe, but if you've got it, let the members use it.
  35. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  196 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    29%

Only scary people use t-bar rows...duh!
  36. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    43.79%

Quote Originally Posted by CDB View Post
    Why the hell did they ban t bar rows for God's sake?
    I guess because it "looks" awkward? Or they cant ganrantee someone will do it with proper form like on a machine that can only move one way. Im glad Im at the gym Im at now. Not lots of grunting and people dont do it for each rep but when they do a 1 or 2 rep Max or something similar. I wonder if PF would kick you out for lightly clearing you throat (No really I wasnt grunting!). Another good reason for them to not allow "meatheads" is because they go often and stay longer. These people makes less room for the multiple other paying members who only go do a quick circuit every few days.
  37. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    52.16%

I went to a planet fitness on the Newington/New Britian border right of the berlin turnpike in CT back in November when I was looking for a new gym.

They told me straight up that if I attempted to deadlift or even did a standing barbell curl with an olympic bar they would cancel my membership immediately and ask me to leave (without refunding my ca$h money).

They had about 15 smith machines there but not a single squat/power rack.
  38. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.53%

I guess because it "looks" awkward? Or they cant ganrantee someone will do it with proper form like on a machine that can only move one way.
    I was thinking maybe because the bar might damage their precious molding. There's always assistance mounts one could use and buy cheaply. Thing is if they ditch squat racks and incline benches as well then it seems to me they're interested in removing the ability for their customers to do any exercises that actually require some discipline and effort to learn and do properly.
  39. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    12.02%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Another good reason for them to not allow "meatheads" is because they go often and stay longer. These people makes less room for the multiple other paying members who only go do a quick circuit every few days.
    This is really the reason behind it. 'Casual' members generally spend less time in the gym and are higher turnover. Their whole business model is based on maximizing casual members and minimizing the 'hardcore' members that dissuade the casuals from signing up. Providing the 'best' exercise equipment has little to nothing to do with it.
  40. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    34.01%

Originally Posted by Rivet
    Another good reason for them to not allow "meatheads" is because they go often and stay longer. These people makes less room for the multiple other paying members who only go do a quick circuit every few days.

This is really the reason behind it. 'Casual' members generally spend less time in the gym and are higher turnover. Their whole business model is based on maximizing casual members and minimizing the 'hardcore' members that dissuade the casuals from signing up. Providing the 'best' exercise equipment has little to nothing to do with it.

You guys are right on the money.....

Similar Forum Threads

1. Good Certification for gym chains?
    By modernoscar in forum Supplements
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-20-2014, 12:21 AM
  2. Nation Wide HCG shortage? HCG alternative?
    By trytestim in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-28-2012, 09:46 PM
  3. No grunting at Planet Fitness, now Wimbledon?
    By ax1 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-29-2011, 09:11 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-03-2009, 03:06 PM
  5. 'Gym pill' for a no-work six-pack
    By Smokey69 in forum News and Articles
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-01-2006, 12:27 AM