Nation wide gym chain says "No Grunting"

Mach .78

Mach .78

Awards
  • Established
I don't have the name of this chain because they haven't mentioned it yet. This is coming from the "Today Show". If you "grunt" while working out, go find another place to train. Ahh, The United States. First we define the "Metrosexual" and now this. Train hard folks, you are guaranteed to stick out among the new world inhabitants. What a candy ass world we live in.

Can someone please post the vid of this story when it airs, thanks.

sdmf45

sdmf45

Awards
  • Established
The name of the chain is Planet Fitness. At least i'm pretty sure it is. That place is a metrosexual gym, more like a nightclub or some s***. Lets get dressed up and put on our metrosexual makeup and go hit the gym and talk to other p***ys about the color mauve.

I think they also have an alarm they ring to call you out if you broke the rules by grunting.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't have the name of this chain because they haven't mentioned it yet. This is coming from the "Today Show". If you "grunt" while working out, go find another place to train. Ahh, The United States. First we define the "Metrosexual" and now this. Train hard folks, you are guaranteed to stick out among the new world inhabitants. What a candy ass world we live in.

Can someone please post the vid of this story when it airs, thanks.
Phucking Ridiculous!!!!...What an outrage!!!?..If you are gonna work out hard, you may need to "Grunt!"..This guy was just breathing!!!!...Breath in through your nose durning eccentric, out through your mouth during concentric!!!..Damn it!,heres the link,

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Heres their website, feel free to send nasty hate mail!,

Planet Fitness® -- The Judgment Free Zone®

CRUNCH

CRUNCH

Awards
  • Established
My wife and I saw that this morning. The pussyfying of America continues.

I wonder what the average mans test level is in there?

motiv8er

motiv8er

Awards
  • Established
Wow! Thats all i can say! Wow! I think I am gonna go eat some raw meat in a corner and grunt to myself.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Fvck, I thought Bally's was pretty metrosexual. That place just walked away with metrosexual gym award of the year. I never really grunt but I do breathe pretty damn hard sometimes and from the sounds of it I would be grunting, WTF happened to our world !

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Fvck, I thought Bally's was pretty metrosexual. That place just walked away with metrosexual gym award of the year. I never really grunt but I do breathe pretty damn hard sometimes and from the sounds of it I would be grunting, WTF happened to our world !
Yeah Bally bought out some planet fitness gyms..I saw an article while searching about this. Anyway here is an article as opposed to a video,

No Grunting, They Said, and He Was at the Gym - New York Times

supersoldier

supersoldier

She thinks my traps'rrrr sexy!
Awards
  • Established
I try not to grunt, but sometimes it's unavoidable IMO...

Like when that hot fitness model is over in the corner with spandex on doing Smith Squats.:D

Rivet

Rivet

Awards
  • Established
I wonder what the punishment is for dry heaving or puking after squats? :toofunny:

Edit: It also says that the lunk alarm will go off if someone Judges..isn't that what they do?

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
I think they just dont want big people there, they probly want to maintain an image of being a casual gym, Im sure a lot of girls there do bone toning rep ranges to burn fat, as instructed by the trainers ofcourse. :rolleyes:

Lightning

Awards
They made one exception:

The only grunting allowed is when you're hitting your buddy in the can in the steam room.

spatch

spatch

Awards
  • Established
I heard on the radio that some guy was kicked out after grunting while benching 500 + lbs.

I think golds will be next. Some dude at my gym said they arent getting anything over 120 db's because "they dont want rude meat heads in here." They have also "walled off" half the gym for womens use only.

We need to get COMPLETLEY pussified, just like we got completley disko in the 70's. Only then will things start to go back to normal.

update- Their slogan is "the judgement free zone." Unless your a meat head I guess.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I heard on the radio that some guy was kicked out after grunting while benching 500 + lbs.

I think golds will be next. Some dude at my gym said they arent getting anything over 120 db's because "they dont want rude meat heads in here." They have also "walled off" half the gym for womens use only.

We need to get COMPLETLEY pussified, just like we got completley disko in the 70's. Only then will things start to go back to normal.

update- Their slogan is "the judgement free zone." Unless your a meat head I guess.

The guy was squating 500+, read the links. Anyway, I agree with you. They are contradicting themselves by saying, "Judgement Free Zone", when they are themselves judging anyone who pushes themselves enough to make some kind noise while working out.

wideguy

wideguy

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Well so far there's not rule about farting:fart: :fart: :fart: And thank GOD for that because I would have been handcuffed and taken away by the police during my workout yesterday:icon_lol:

Btw, how much you want to bet that the same complainers would have no problem sitting in a preacher curl bench with a 20 lb dumb bell in one hand and their cell phone in the other "Ohh My GAAWWD DID YOU SEE IDOL LAST NIGGHHT!???".

So soft:aargh: :sad:

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Stupid for it to not be allowed, but grunting is pretty annoying. Is it really necessary?

Aurora_Borealis

Awards
Btw, how much you want to bet that the same complainers would have no problem sitting in a preacher curl bench with a 20 lb dumb bell in one hand and their cell phone in the other "Ohh My GAAWWD DID YOU SEE IDOL LAST NIGGHHT!???".

So soft:aargh: :sad:
In the video when they showed the rules on the wall, I think it said No Cell phones and a bunch of other things.

Rivet

Rivet

Awards
  • Established
Here is some user quotes from the Planet Fitness website relating to this:

"You truly are the Judgment Free Zone. I never hear the body builders grunting and groaning, or weights slamming around... It's also great to see people in wheel chairs or with disabilities getting in on the machines just as easily as everyone else. Everyone is equal!"
— Samantha M.

"There are people of all ages, shapes and sizes. The staff does a great job of putting a halt to any show-off behavior before it gets out of control. The atmosphere is just easy going. It's great!"
— Adrienne D.

"I love the fact that it is not a muscle gym and all types of people/fitness levels can work out together"
— Brenda A.

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
I may not like their policy but I don't have to be a member there. I think private enterprise should have the right to run their business anyway they want (within legal boundaries).

It would be interesting to open a gym with a "no-metro" rule or a "no homos in the locker room" rule or a "no fat trainer" rule. I'm sure the ACLU would be all over that one.

Rivet

Rivet

Awards
  • Established
I may not like their policy but I don't have to be a member there. I think private enterprise should have the right to run their business anyway they want (within legal boundaries).

It would be interesting to open a gym with a "no-metro" rule or a "no homos in the locker room" rule or a "no fat trainer" rule. I'm sure the ACLU would be all over that one.

I wonder how long it would take for you to be shut down when you 1st fire your "no lisp alarm" :twisted:

spatch

spatch

Awards
  • Established

you thtop that you meat head

I love, LOVE the TOTALLY DISGUSTED faces middle age house wives make when me or someone grabs the 120 off the DB rack. It makes my day every time.

I cant wait until I am strong enough to permanently bend the bar when doing squats :thumbsup:

wideguy

wideguy

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Uh it's not a gym for everyone despite what they claim. Otherwise the guy who makes a little noise or lets out the occasional grunt would be allowed also.

It's a stupid rule but hardly shocking considering all the completely idiot BS that gets passed as rules/laws we encounter every day.

I've seen the no cell phone rule sign before also. In fact I've seen it posted with no grunting. However, I've seen plenty of people on their phones for long periods of time blabbing away and nobody says a word. On the other hand I've seen guys get asked to be quite or leave for grunting. I wasn't a memeber at the gym this took place but rather had a free month's pass (actually I had 2 free 1 month passes). Anyway I couldn't stand the people there so after one day of being verbally insulted by some trainer pointing out to a client how I was using too much weight and that my squat form was terrible (I was doing GOOD MORNINGS!), so I ate very close to my next squat workout and vommited tuna in the trash can next to his cubicle.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Uh it's not a gym for everyone despite what they claim. Otherwise the guy who makes a little noise or lets out the occasional grunt would be allowed also.

It's a stupid rule but hardly shocking considering all the completely idiot BS that gets passed as rules/laws we encounter every day.

I've seen the no cell phone rule sign before also. In fact I've seen it posted with no grunting. However, I've seen plenty of people on their phones for long periods of time blabbing away and nobody says a word. On the other hand I've seen guys get asked to be quite or leave for grunting. I wasn't a memeber at the gym this took place but rather had a free month's pass (actually I had 2 free 1 month passes). Anyway I couldn't stand the people there so after one day of being verbally insulted by some trainer pointing out to a client how I was using too much weight and that my squat form was terrible (I was doing GOOD MORNINGS!), so I ate very close to my next squat workout and vommited tuna in the trash can next to his cubicle.
LOL, at you sitting at home eating your tuna thinking about how you're going to ruin this douche's day by puking next to his office.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
You have to wonder what kind of person feels 'judged' because someone is noticably performing better than they are. BP is right though, we don't have to train there and now we know not to waste time and money signing up there. The establishment of these kinds of rules and these kinds of gyms can only spur, if the market will bear it, the official or unofficial rise of gyms who serve the opposite demographic. And I know a few gays who would take issue with all the association of anti grunting with gays. It's people who feel threatened by those who excell who are driving this.

And maybe consider they have a point. Stereotypes almost always have some root in truth, and the stereotypical meathead is someone I'd rather not have around as is the stereotypical person who is afraid of grunting. I remember one bloated prick who kept walking up to me at an old gym around here when I was rehabbing my knee, telling me I wasn't using enough weight and changing it without being asked for help. Don't let the development of egalitarian gyms bother you. Let people who wish to pussify themselves do so, find an appropriate gym with power racks and chalk and train in the darkness, and then we'll take over the whole ****ing world when it turns out there's no one willing to install the equipment at the anti grunting gyms who's actually strong enough to do so.

Vicarious

Vicarious

Awards
  • Established
or a "no fat trainer" rule.
THAT, my friend would be awesome. I feel so bad for people PAYING to working out with fat, pear shaped trainers that only walk them around the circuit. I see it every day, makes me ill. I think my gym is eyeing me to throw my ass out come to think of it. I do grunt at times and drop dumbells to evil looks.

snakebyte05

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Let people who wish to pussify themselves do so, find an appropriate gym with power racks and chalk and train in the darkness, and then we'll take over the whole ****ing world when it turns out there's no one willing to install the equipment at the anti grunting gyms who's actually strong enough to do so.
That made my day.

spatch

spatch

Awards
  • Established
"I love the fact that it is not a muscle gym and all types of people/fitness levels can work out together"
— Brenda A.
I love how everyone is welcome and there are no meat heads? :wtf:

dadream

dadream

Awards
  • Established
You think YOU guys are disgusted???? I actually am a member there. Before you guys get any ideas of why im a member is because its so cheap and its 5 mins away from my house. Now what really sucks is it used to be a WORLD GYM and it was everything i dreamed of. When it turned into P.F there went a decline bench, pec deck, incline bench, a squat rack, and countless other good machines/eqiupment not to mention dumbells over 80lbs. Now whats left is a "pussified" gym minus whats has been squeezed into a corner for us to cram into. Oh they just "banned" t-bar rows where you angle an olympic bar into a corner...against the rules now. The original owner was Katz too.....whatta shame.........

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Why the hell did they ban t bar rows for God's sake?

spatch

spatch

Awards
  • Established
You think YOU guys are disgusted???? I actually am a member there. Before you guys get any ideas of why im a member is because its so cheap and its 5 mins away from my house. Now what really sucks is it used to be a WORLD GYM and it was everything i dreamed of. When it turned into P.F there went a decline bench, pec deck, incline bench, a squat rack, and countless other good machines/eqiupment not to mention dumbells over 80lbs. Now whats left is a "pussified" gym minus whats has been squeezed into a corner for us to cram into. Oh they just "banned" t-bar rows where you angle an olympic bar into a corner...against the rules now. The original owner was Katz too.....whatta shame.........
Why do they ban T-bar rows? And why did they ditch equipment? I could see not buying it maybe, but if you've got it, let the members use it.

Rivet

Rivet

Awards
  • Established
Why the hell did they ban t bar rows for God's sake?
I guess because it "looks" awkward? Or they cant ganrantee someone will do it with proper form like on a machine that can only move one way. Im glad Im at the gym Im at now. Not lots of grunting and people dont do it for each rep but when they do a 1 or 2 rep Max or something similar. I wonder if PF would kick you out for lightly clearing you throat (No really I wasnt grunting!). Another good reason for them to not allow "meatheads" is because they go often and stay longer. These people makes less room for the multiple other paying members who only go do a quick circuit every few days.

klugman

klugman

Awards
  • Established
I went to a planet fitness on the Newington/New Britian border right of the berlin turnpike in CT back in November when I was looking for a new gym.

They told me straight up that if I attempted to deadlift or even did a standing barbell curl with an olympic bar they would cancel my membership immediately and ask me to leave (without refunding my ca$h money).

They had about 15 smith machines there but not a single squat/power rack.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
I guess because it "looks" awkward? Or they cant ganrantee someone will do it with proper form like on a machine that can only move one way.
I was thinking maybe because the bar might damage their precious molding. There's always assistance mounts one could use and buy cheaply. Thing is if they ditch squat racks and incline benches as well then it seems to me they're interested in removing the ability for their customers to do any exercises that actually require some discipline and effort to learn and do properly.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Another good reason for them to not allow "meatheads" is because they go often and stay longer. These people makes less room for the multiple other paying members who only go do a quick circuit every few days.
This is really the reason behind it. 'Casual' members generally spend less time in the gym and are higher turnover. Their whole business model is based on maximizing casual members and minimizing the 'hardcore' members that dissuade the casuals from signing up. Providing the 'best' exercise equipment has little to nothing to do with it.

dadream

dadream

Awards
  • Established
Originally Posted by Rivet
Another good reason for them to not allow "meatheads" is because they go often and stay longer. These people makes less room for the multiple other paying members who only go do a quick circuit every few days.

This is really the reason behind it. 'Casual' members generally spend less time in the gym and are higher turnover. Their whole business model is based on maximizing casual members and minimizing the 'hardcore' members that dissuade the casuals from signing up. Providing the 'best' exercise equipment has little to nothing to do with it.

You guys are right on the money.....

b unit

b unit

Awards
  • Established
so i guess big ronnie coleman won't be at a planet fitness anytime soon.

Mach .78

Mach .78

Awards
  • Established
This is "The Bottom Line".

As far as Meatheads at the gym. I have never seen a "Meathead" look at a novice gym member strangely or tell them to beat it when they ask intelligent questions about training, never. If a housewife would walk up to me with a question, I would answer it and offer suggestions. When I first started, I would ask questions of the biggest guy in the gym. Never turned away. I still hit people up who are doing something I've never seen before. It comes down to people and their Social Anxiety Disorder in a gym. Some art teachers would love to check a biker's tattoos, but they can't. He's a "biker" after all.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Here is some user quotes from the Planet Fitness website relating to this:

"You truly are the Judgment Free Zone. I never hear the body builders grunting and groaning, or weights slamming around... It's also great to see people in wheel chairs or with disabilities getting in on the machines just as easily as everyone else. Everyone is equal!"
— Samantha M.

"There are people of all ages, shapes and sizes. The staff does a great job of putting a halt to any show-off behavior before it gets out of control. The atmosphere is just easy going. It's great!"
— Adrienne D.

— Brenda A.
Those testimonials would indicate that people in that gym don't really care about re-shaping their bodies. Not the kind of gym I'd want to belong to. How do they define show off behavior ? Some people think you're a show off if you lift more then them or even if you're bigger then they are.

I agree with CDB to a degree about stereotypical meatheads, I wouldn't like that environment . . . . unless there were swimsuit models handing me a towel between sets :D

Chad

Chad

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I try not to grunt, but sometimes it's unavoidable IMO...

Like when that hot fitness model is over in the corner with spandex on doing Smith Squats.:D
bullsh**! you make more grunting sounds than a chinese man trying to SH** out a watermellon!
ive been there when you dead lift and the whole gym stops to see who is getting killed in the conor of the gym!
:icon_lol: :hammer:

spatch

spatch

Awards
  • Established
I go to a semi-pu$$y gym today, and T-bar rows are the first lift I will be doing. I'll be sure to do intense Farigno-like sets in honor of all our brothers that cant do them at PF.

"Arnold!, Arnold!, ARNOLD!"

PS- I'll also foam at the mouth b/c I'm a rude worthless meathead :thumbsup:

Mega NRG Man

Mega NRG Man

Awards
*HURRRRRGH*

Can't hear you! This dumbbell's pretty heavy! 20 lbs! REALLY HEAVY!

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
I agree with CDB to a degree about stereotypical meatheads, I wouldn't like that environment . . . . unless there were swimsuit models handing me a towel between sets :D
Got to up the anty. I could care less about the towels, if I could have a new, pretty, germ free girl to nail every time I were done with a workout I'd go to a gym. Everything else is just a tease. And I don't know about you guys but I'm pretty damn randy after I'm done working out. My ex girlfriend used to love it when I was done lifting.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
*HURRRRRGH*

Can't hear you! This dumbbell's pretty heavy! 20 lbs! REALLY HEAVY!
The rule should be if you can't lift the dumbbell, you can't tell others how to put it down. I've been arguing about this a little with some girls I know, and predictably and tragically, they're on PF's side. It's only a person who has never worked with 100lb+ dumbbells who doesn't understand why you occasionally just might want to drop the ****ers rather than put them down gently.

Mega NRG Man

Mega NRG Man

Awards
The rule should be if you can't lift the dumbbell, you can't tell others how to put it down. I've been arguing about this a little with some girls I know, and predictably and tragically, they're on PF's side. It's only a person who has never worked with 100lb+ dumbbells who doesn't understand why you occasionally just might want to drop the ****ers rather than put them down gently.
Although I tell you, putting 50's on my legs when resting between sets HURT.

I'm so weak. :sick:

supersoldier

supersoldier

She thinks my traps'rrrr sexy!
Awards
  • Established
bullsh**! you make more grunting sounds than a chinese man trying to SH** out a watermellon!
ive been there when you dead lift and the whole gym stops to see who is getting killed in the conor of the gym!
:icon_lol: :hammer:
:lol:

:dl: :aargh: :dl: :aargh: :dl: :aargh: :dl: :aargh:

You must have me confused with somebody else.:ntome: