US woman dies after water contest

motiv8er

motiv8er

Awards
  • Established
I heard about that, she was trying to win a New Nintendo Wii for her kids. How fricking sad. How fricking dummmm of a competition too......

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Someone call the Darwin Awards people....stat!

Dr Liftalot

Dr Liftalot

Awards
  • Established
Seriously how I MEAN HOW, Could anyone not know espiscally running a competition that drinking too much water could kill you. I hope the family sues the radio station for all its worth. Though she's definitely part to blame.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
These guys are DJ's - some of THE stupidest people on the planet.

I knew drinking too much water was bad - I didn't know it could kill you - but I wouldn't run some contest like this if I were a DJ.

This whole situation just wreacks of total idiocy.
Sad though - truly sad.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Even I knew of cases where people commited suicide through water intoxication. Sad that she didn't know the consequences, sad that the contest was this stupid and tragic. That radio station better find some great lawyers quickly.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
When will the FDA regulate these dangerous supplements? How many more people have to DIE??

Think of the CHILDREN!!!

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
I thought it would cause more then 4 litres to kill you.
She must of been fasting.

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
A damn shame to die that way. That's a lawsuit if I ever saw one.

spatch

spatch

Awards
  • Established
I hope the family sues the radio station for all its worth. Though she's definitely part to blame.
I feel bad for her, but come on, its survival of the fittest. If your intelligence is not advanced enough to know that you could die of water intoxication, then Mother Nature will remove you. Not like they forced her to drink it.

Stinger124

Awards
  • Established
Thats sad.. Feel bad for the children.. I honestly did not know you could drik yourself to death with water.. Live and learn..

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
This is terrible, I mean most people who are health conscious are aware of water intoxication - but not probably not your average mom who just wants to make her kids happy.

That sucks.

BV

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah, it's bad that something like this happens to someone in general little less a mother. Not a smart contest, but most people think they have those outrageous weiner eating contest so why not water. To them it seems logical.

Irish_Rogue

Awards
  • Established
Flushing out ones electrolytes is a sure way to die, a lot of soldiers go through that after they leave the desert, they are used to drink a lot out here and then continue at home station and pass out, only one or two I know of have died from it.

Mach .78

Mach .78

Awards
  • Established
Steroids are bad, prohormones are bad, water is uh....:think: should we put a warning label on this stuff?

drivehard

drivehard

Awards
  • Established
I know too much water is bad, but often wonder how much is too much? Some days I have 2 gallons down before 5pm. This normally is just fine, but some days I get dizzy spells. Am I on the edge? Do I need to cut down my water consumption? How much is too much?

dlew308

dlew308

Awards
  • Established
You'd want to ask your doctor about this. I generally stop or slow once my urine is almost/or is clear. I probably avg 64oz a day. I also try to drink smart water, it's bottled water with electrolytes added to it. My wife told me not to overdue it with water before this wii incident happened.

I know too much water is bad, but often wonder how much is too much? Some days I have 2 gallons down before 5pm. This normally is just fine, but some days I get dizzy spells. Am I on the edge? Do I need to cut down my water consumption? How much is too much?