Underground Hip Hop Listeners?

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just checking if we had any heads on AM. I know Ubi and Swole210 are about it, by underground hip hop I mean:

Atmosphere
Brother Ali
Eyedea
J-Live
Reef the Lost Cauze
Aesop Rock
Cage
Cannibal Ox

etc., etc.,

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Does Jurassic 5 count? I mean - they aren't well known at all.

I listen to mostly hip hop - it sucks these days. How Ballin' is a top song - I'll never know.

billm311

billm311

Awards
  • Established
i like the philly guys:

jedi mind tricks
outer space

the roots, the are definately more popular, but very little of their stuff gets played. Their older albums are excellent, but rarely played.

phillyb

phillyb

Awards
Besides all the artists listed above, I like the following:

RJD2
Ugly Duckling
Soul Position
Heiruspecs
Illogic
Hilltop Hoods
Gym Class Heroes
Talib Kwali
Murs
Mars Ill
Common
Noah23

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head :D

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Besides all the artists listed above, I like the following:

RJD2
Ugly Duckling
Soul Position
Heiruspecs
Illogic
Hilltop Hoods
Gym Class Heroes
Talib Kwali
Murs
Mars Ill
Common
Noah23

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head :D
Yeah, RJD2 is an amazing producer. Have you ever heard of a Chicago artist named Diverse? Most of his tracks are produced by RJ and they are amazing. Illogic has a song called Favourite Things which is one of my top five songs. All around good artists, it's hard to remember them all sometimes...lol

protomike

protomike

Awards
  • Established
count me in too. big fan of underground hip hop.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I'll have to look into some of these groups. I'm a big 90's hip hop fan. O.C., Royal Flush, Nas, Mobb Deep, Wu, AZ, Bone, WC and Mack10, Outkast, Goodie Mob, Gangstarr, MOP, etc etc. Damn the 90's was the shiot.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'll have to look into some of these groups. I'm a big 90's hip hop fan. O.C., Royal Flush, Nas, Mobb Deep, Wu, AZ, Bone, WC and Mack10, Outkast, Goodie Mob, Gangstarr, MOP, etc etc. Damn the 90's was the shiot.
Yeah, alot of the artists I like came from NJ during that early 90's period. Artists like the Artifacts for example. If you like that really eastern feel hip-hop then you'd really like alot of the examples given Alexander.

Can't forget about the Souls of Mischief either, one of the sickest hip hop groups ever.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, alot of the artists I like came from NJ during that early 90's period. Artists like the Artifacts for example. If you like that really eastern feel hip-hop then you'd really like alot of the examples given Alexander.

Can't forget about the Souls of Mischief either, one of the sickest hip hop groups ever.
Damn I forgot Souls of Mischief existed, thanks for the reminder. I'm definitely gonna check out some of the artists you listed above.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Just listened to 93 til infinity, felt like I was back in middle school. Nice thread.

TheCSWFighter

Awards
army of pharoahs
bus driver
mystikal manik
Serum

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
Mos Def, Talib, J5, Dialated Peoples...

...a new guy I've been listening a bit to is Lupe Fiasco

brass monkey

brass monkey

Awards
  • Established
Madlib, Lord Quas, DJ-Rels, Littel Brother, Danger Mouse, Black Mlik, Lady Soverign, and some old cats like large professor, J-Dilla. Lupe and the Neptunes have a nice sound Kick, Push is my sons Fav. That just made me feel old.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't like Lady S. She seems like a ****ed up female version of Eminem. Didn't really care for Danger Mouse too much either but I think i'm in the minority on that one. He seemed to have a nice following.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Madlib, Lord Quas, DJ-Rels, Littel Brother, Danger Mouse, Black Mlik, Lady Soverign, and some old cats like large professor, J-Dilla. Lupe and the Neptunes have a nice sound Kick, Push is my sons Fav. That just made me feel old.
Yeah, I gotta call you on that as well, I cannot stand Lady S. She represents most of the things I am against in Hip Hop. Madlib and LQ are pretty tight though.

brass monkey

brass monkey

Awards
  • Established
she brings a different sound and i like her accent and theres not many females out there throwing down. what do you hate about her.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Her lyrics seem pretty much thrown together without any real form other than just being vulger and rude. If I just want to listento something that sounds good there are better and if I want to listen to something with meaning...there are better :)

brass monkey

brass monkey

Awards
  • Established
yeah i can see how comes off as just a rude bit@#h, Jay danger mouse is the man he does all his production with a old ass computer and a $190 program and he made ce-lo famous. I do not get the whole mask thing

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The only UG hip-hop that I listen to is Immortal Technique. He has some of the craziest lyrics and some awesome beats. I really get into his stuff b/c he has a political and social message within his lyrics.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah, I like more of a message, social undertone, or emotional current in my Hip Hop; consequently, I think that is what mainly seperates mainstream and underground hip hop. I think Lady S is no different than 99% of other mainstream rappers, hence, I don't like her.

rampage jackson

rampage jackson

Awards
  • Established
Anyone know who put out the songs:

Secret Wars 1 & 2 (about comic books)

&

Echo Leader

I know it was the same guy...

Also...is Black Rob still considered underground?

Supa Freek 420

Supa Freek 420

E-BOLLER
Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I can't really stand much of the stuff that comes out today. I still pine for the sounds of the late 80's to mid-90's.

Rakim was supposed to do an album with Dre. That would have been sick.
The whole Hiero crew
Pharcyde
Zion-I
Jedi Mind Tricks
Black Moon, Boot Camp, Smif & Wessun (Duck Down)
The Frontline

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I can't really stand much of the stuff that comes out today. I still pine for the sounds of the late 80's to mid-90's.

Rakim was supposed to do an album with Dre. That would have been sick.
The whole Hiero crew
Pharcyde
Zion-I
Jedi Mind Tricks
Black Moon, Boot Camp, Smif & Wessun (Duck Down)
The Frontline
I like your taste. Rakim is probably the GOAT. Pharcyde was great, so creative. I love all of Boot Camp, don't forget Heltah Skeltah. If I'm not mistaken Boot Camp Clik is comprised of Black Moon, SmifnWessun(Cocoa Brovaz), Heltah Skeltah, Starang Wonda. Duck Down is there clothing line and another name they use for themselves. I love hip hop from all around but the 90's New York hip hop has my heart.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Anyone know who put out the songs:

Secret Wars 1 & 2 (about comic books)

&

Echo Leader

I know it was the same guy...

Also...is Black Rob still considered underground?
That was the Last Emperor, he did Comic Book characters battling famours rappers.

brass monkey

brass monkey

Awards
  • Established
The hip hop world is full of studio gangsters. Im hopeing the whole bling bling era disapears soon. Before hip hop does die.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't think that true Hip Hop is in any real danger at the moment. Gift of Gab, Eyedea, Sage Francis, and Atmosphere (maybe more I cannot remember) were all signed to Epitaph at one point, though Eyedea has now formed a punk band and Gift of Gab is no longer on the label. And since, they have picked up Dangerdoom.

I do know what you are saying though. Mainstream rap continues to perpetuate racial stereotypes for the purpose of capital gain, thereby shining a negative light on one of the most intricate and complicated Musical art forms.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Mainstream hip hop is pure garbage. No such thing as lyrics.

Although - I really liked Luda's recent song (maybe it's titled Runaway or something of the sort). I think this was his answer to Pac's Keep Ya Head Up (and the rest of his positive songs) to show he (Luda) has that versatility.

Now - we have sh*t like Ballin' (or whatever that song is called) being played all over the air waves.

manifesto

manifesto

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
I know this is an old thread, but since the Mullet man is back and I love Underground Hiphop....Lets bring it back...

Currently Listening to:
Living Legends - Almost Famous
Atmosphere - Lucy Ford
Sage Francis - Personal Journals
Aesop Rock - Labor Days

manifesto

manifesto

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
BUMP....because I am so tired of "Trips end of year log"

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I like wiz kalifa and s-money. Both are from Pgh.
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhmBAuwGOXo"]YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.[/nomedia]

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I know this is an old thread, but since the Mullet man is back and I love Underground Hiphop....Lets bring it back...

Currently Listening to:
Living Legends - Almost Famous
Atmosphere - Lucy Ford
Sage Francis - Personal Journals
Aesop Rock - Labor Days
I actually have an appointment to get Aesop's None Shall Pass album cover tattooed on me Mani, should be fairly sick.

I'm not a huge, huge fan of the Living Legends as a collective, I end up liking their work on the solo merit more. Murs especially.

And I f'ing love Lucy Ford. Best Atmos., album by far.

manifesto

manifesto

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
Dude that is gonna be a sick tat...that album cover is sick.

I actually haven't even had a chance to listen to that album yet, but I have seen it.

I also prefer the legends seperately...my personal favs are probably Grouch and Eligh, although Murs is sick.

You gotta post pics after you get that ink man

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I definitely will. It's going to have to be big enough to get those dark lines on there, to give it that cartoony look.

manifesto

manifesto

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
You get that tat yet Mullet...?

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Oh no. I have an app., with my region's best shop. It'll be a few months before I am in.

manifesto

manifesto

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
Wow, someone else here listens to atmosphere? Thats the only rap I listen to.
Yea bro, I stumbled across them when I was in highschool. They are sick.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Atmos., is def sick. I friend and I went to Rhymesayer's 10th Annual a few years ago and got to meet those cats. We actually spoke with Eyedea for about an hour. Introduced us to his mom, his girl. It was pretty dope. Slug didn't really speak all that much, he liked the girls behind us though ;)

manifesto

manifesto

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
I saw Eyedea and Dj Abilities a while back. Abilities is sick man.

Also at that show I saw Bus Driver, 2 Mex, Awol One, and Living Legends.

manifesto

manifesto

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
Mullet you listen to any Mars iLL???

In Hulk

In Hulk

Awards
I don't listen to much hip hop anymore but I'll always listen to Immortal Technique.

manifesto

manifesto

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
Just checking if we had any heads on AM. I know Ubi and Swole210 are about it, by underground hip hop I mean:

Atmosphere
Brother Ali
Eyedea
J-Live
Reef the Lost Cauze
Aesop Rock
Cage
Cannibal Ox

etc., etc.,
Mullet can you recommend any tracks from Reef, Ali, and Cage...?

I need some new material.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Brother:

Shadows on the Sun
Forrest Whitaker
Champion
Ali Boombaye

Cage:

Shoot Frank
Dust vs Ecstacy
Hell's Winter
Stoney Lodge

Reef:

I only have albums, I don't know song names.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
anticon > aesop rock > atmosphere

NERD RAP!!!!

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
anticon > aesop rock > atmosphere

NERD RAP!!!!
Most definitely. I'd rather listen to this than some mainstream Studio-G-Unit rapping about 'blunts, 40s, and *****es' with his hat around his eyes and pants around his ass. Because, funnily enough, I just can't relate to that.

And btw, Aesop Rock > Anticon. Any day.