What the hell is going on with the weather!!

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Anyone live in the northeast? Its 65 degrees outside!! In the middle of the night, in freakin JANUARY in NEW YORK. Something's up - did the sun start pumping out more heat all fo a sudden?

I mean, winters have been getting milder but Ive never seen anything like this. Im waiting for a glacier to come rolling down main street.:D

BV

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
As DL Hughley would say "go take a nap, you simple bastard." :nutkick:

It's El Nino '06/'07.
We've had a TON of rain in the southeast of late. It was in the mid 70's here today.

I'm not complaining though. That means very likely a small hurricane season again (don't tell that to south FLA'ans - '92 was a small cane season that yielded Andrew....).

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
El nino describes a warm weather current hitting wester america, now its easy to say this named phenomena is causing all the world wide havoc. its a fact that the worlds atmosphere allows reflected sun rays to leave the atmosphere under idealic conditions. some of those rays are required to stay and heat the earth allowing life to exhist. Due to ever rising CO2 levels (not related to regular climate patterns but to man) and the build up of greenhouse gasses in our atmosphere has been stopping the suns rays from leeaving causing "global warming" 25% of the worlds CO2 emmissions are building up in our oceans making them more acidic. A more acididc ocean melts ice caps that nomally reflect %90 of suns rays, due to melting ice caps more rays are heating the earths oceans. also water absorbd %90 of the suns rays so the effect is worse. Warming ocean currents change global weather patterns and we name them el nino so we dont have to try to stop out world from falling apart around us. how many more clues do we need to realise what is causing this. 10 of the warmest years in recorded history are in the last 14 years!! CO2 levels are higher than they have been in 650 million years and this is not a "normal weather pattern". Most hurricanes in a year - last year! this is caused by warming oceans as warming oceans evaporate more moisture and the more moisture the more fierce the storm. largest hurricane ever - last year. typhoons cyclones and hurricanes are all the same thing just with different names also most typoons cyclones ever last year. I am repeating facts that are undeniable and its sickening to hear that most people think this is "ok " or "probably normal". This more acicdic ocean is making life for plankton almost impossible as they make a form of carbonate to form their skeletons and coral reefs. Without plankton our oceans would litterally be dead. When a lerge section (about half) of antarctica breaks away (it has happened already and all the signals are there) the worlds ocean level will rise 20 ft much like dropping a cube of ice in a glass. this ice is on land and when it slips into the ocean it will be catastrophic. Im not a man who belives in "god" per say but i pray to whomever will listen that we can turn it all around. Fyi the U.S.A contributes over %30 of the worlds CO2 and George W says hes not into kyoto and doesnt think its a problem. hes fighting a war on "terror" while the signals flash and mankind begins to destroy the only known speck of life in the galaxy.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
It's global warming. Al Gore told me so :D

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
We didn't join Kyoto - yeah. But - Kyoto did not include the developing countries - they will make up the largest % increases in CO2 emissions in the coming years - not the US.
(Hell - companies are leaving the US to go overseas.)

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Last year bad for hurricanes??

Huh?

None hit the US.

And - that whole hurricane argument is weak - at best. Some of the strongest years were in the freaking 50's and 60's. Camille (thought to be the strongest) was in the '70's (I think - certainly not the 80's or '90's).

DazzlinJack

Awards
  • Established
i definitely noticed a dramatic change in the weather. My Johnson doesn't go up as long as it used to nowadays. hopefully this bad stuff just BLOWS on by. I can't STAND it.

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established

Huh?

None hit the US.

And - that whole hurricane argument is weak - at best. Some of the strongest years were in the freaking 50's and 60's. Camille (thought to be the strongest) was in the '70's (I think - certainly not the 80's or '90's).
yeah im sure all of the thousand of things that shuold be obvious are just ....... just ... nonesense. believe what you will. and i meant 2005 bc its still last year to me. the world is fine, keep fillin up the suv to keep the rims spinnin and the usa is the majority of the problem and the minority of care as you prove.
All those poor africans with all their big buisness they are the problem, bc they have all the money and technology.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established

Huh?

None hit the US.

Try telling that to the hippies I work with LMAO. Those folks are extremely indoctrinated for a group that prides itself on being "open minded".

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
yeah im sure all of the thousand of things that shuold be obvious are just ....... just ... nonesense. believe what you will. and i meant 2005 bc its still last year to me. the world is fine, keep fillin up the suv to keep the rims spinnin and the usa is the majority of the problem and the minority of care as you prove.
All those poor africans with all their big buisness they are the problem, bc they have all the money and technology.
I think we underestimate how powerful mother nature can be. We had crazier weather changes way before we even rode mountain bikes let alone SUV's. We could be going through natural weather changes but hey the media needs to sensationalize a story and sell ads so why not blame some big and easy target. This could be just another case of where the media spins the truth such as in the case of supplements and steroids. Just my 2 cc's worth :)

TheUnlikelyToad

TheUnlikelyToad

Awards
  • Established
I guarentee summer is going to be a scorcher.

... Man its going to suck balls. *dweep* *dweep*

Synicus

Awards
If its global warming it sure is causing alot of snow in Colorado. I moved here 8 months ago from tx. 2-3 FEET of snow a week ago, 3 days later 1 FOOT, today 6-8 inches. Unbelievable. Snow drifts 3 feet high. Unbelievable.

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It is weird how the Rockies are seeing record amounts of snow fall, yet alot of other areas(especially on the east coast) are seeing higher winter temps. It was in the 70's this week, where I'm at.

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
I think you guys are baiting me. ;)

-TT

P.S.... Have some cool cloud photos:
valuca

Last edited:
jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
I don't know but it's sure nice

Last edited:
spatch

spatch

Awards
  • Established
Yup,

10 AM in New England and I was just comfortable outside with a t-shirt and jeans on. It really is freaky.

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
Anyone live in the northeast? Its 65 degrees outside!! In the middle of the night, in freakin JANUARY in NEW YORK. Something's up - did the sun start pumping out more heat all fo a sudden?

I mean, winters have been getting milder but Ive never seen anything like this. Im waiting for a glacier to come rolling down main street.:D

BV
I live in Ontario Canada and i'm very close to New York and i know exactly what you mean! It was a high of 14 degrees the other day which is insane in January, you can thank global warming, soon i doubt we'll be seeing any snow in Ontario.

MuscleBound1337

MuscleBound1337

Awards
  • Established
I live in Northeast PA and it's 61 degrees right now. It should be at least below freezing for the time of the year.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
If its global warming it sure is causing alot of snow in Colorado. I moved here 8 months ago from tx. 2-3 FEET of snow a week ago, 3 days later 1 FOOT, today 6-8 inches. Unbelievable. Snow drifts 3 feet high. Unbelievable.
That how it was every year where I grew up in Upstate New York. We'd get 4-5ft of snow in one 2-day blizzard, and would have to use our farm equipment to dig ourselves out.

As DL Hughley would say "go take a nap, you simple bastard."

It's El Nino '06/'07.
We've had a TON of rain in the southeast of late. It was in the mid 70's here today.

I'm not complaining though. That means very likely a small hurricane season again (don't tell that to south FLA'ans - '92 was a small cane season that yielded Andrew....).
Yeah, Im not complaining! Im going to wax my car today, outside in a T-shirt. On Janurary 6th. LOL I can't believe it.

BV

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
Just a quick question: If we are causing the earth to warm, are we also responcible for the warming of the last ice age? And the one before that?

Rivet

Rivet

Awards
  • Established
I'm in Ontario I think we had snow on parts of the ground for a total of 2 days so far this season. Snow is all gone and the grass is starting to turn green again.

Just a quick question: If we are causing the earth to warm, are we also responcible for the warming of the last ice age? And the one before that?
No I completely blame that on Tinytoad which I bet is trying to hold back on saying just how much hotter it is where he is situated ;)

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
The sun is causing the earth to warm... don't let anybody tell you otherwise.

-TT

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
SWG,
I'm not denying global warming. I just doubt that many people are examining the right amount of data.

You can't go making conclusion around temperature changes, etc using 50 or 100 years of data.
The earth is much, much older than that.

I keep an open mind about this whole topic - no one has swayed me either way. It's too early to be making dire Al Gore predictions IMO.

toughchick401

toughchick401

Awards
  • Established
63 in Rhode Island today, great day for shorts, and a sweatshirt and karate...kinda scarey thought....LOL

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Na, I dont really believe humans are having as great of an effect as some people believe. The Earth has gone through massive climate fluctuations throughout it's history - believe me if this means warmer weather in my part of the world Im all for it.

An impending ice age? All that means to me is the return of the Wooly Rhino, and I for one welcome my shaggy rhinocerous overlords with open arms :)

BV

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
SWG,
I'm not denying global warming. I just doubt that many people are examining the right amount of data.

You can't go making conclusion around temperature changes, etc using 50 or 100 years of data.
The earth is much, much older than that.

I keep an open mind about this whole topic - no one has swayed me either way. It's too early to be making dire Al Gore predictions IMO.
there are studies by the smartest people in the world dating back 650 million years. the weathere were seiing now is nothing lika anything the earth has experienced, man is responsible for co2 how does evertone say "man its warm its freaky but i love it" and on the other hand not recognise a change for the worse..........

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
I quit, i dont have the skills, perty graphs or colouring books to explain anything of any intelegence because anyoine will come along and say oh im sure its fine, cause im a scientist with years of supporting data. im frustrated beyond belief and sick to my stomach with fear for our fate.

Last edited:
protomike

protomike

Awards
  • Established
i just got back from allentown earlier, it was 63 when i checked the temp... in newark de its 66 right now.

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
The real reason for our unusual weather:
Project HAARP

"Washington's New World Order Weapons Have the Ability to Trigger Climate Change" an article by Michel Chossudovsky, Professor of Economics, University of Ottawa:

"The important debate on global warming under UN auspices provides but a partial picture of climate change; in addition to the devastating impacts of greenhouse gas emissions on the ozone layer, the World's climate can now be modified as part of a new generation of sophisticated "non-lethal weapons." Both the Americans and the Russians have developed capabilities to manipulate the World's climate."

for more see:

HAARP

:rolleyes:

Mass_69

Mass_69

Awards
  • Established
We broke the record today in Connecticut with 71 degrees. I went out this morning in pants & long sleeves, and when I went back out at 1PM, I was in shorts and a T-shirt. Did a little house work outside, and my wife cleaned her car.

I grew up in Texas, so I'm loving this weather :D

Mass_69

Mass_69

Awards
  • Established
The real reason for our unusual weather:
Project HAARP

"Washington's New World Order Weapons Have the Ability to Trigger Climate Change" an article by Michel Chossudovsky, Professor of Economics, University of Ottawa:

"The important debate on global warming under UN auspices provides but a partial picture of climate change; in addition to the devastating impacts of greenhouse gas emissions on the ozone layer, the World's climate can now be modified as part of a new generation of sophisticated "non-lethal weapons." Both the Americans and the Russians have developed capabilities to manipulate the World's climate."

for more see:

HAARP

:rolleyes:
I've read about the government's ability to alter weather. Conspiracy theorists believe the U.S. government intentionally directed Hurricane Katrina into the 9th ward of New Orleans.

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
I've read about the government's ability to alter weather. Conspiracy theorists believe the U.S. government intentionally directed Hurricane Katrina into the 9th ward of New Orleans.
1. I love how some people read this trash and believe it.
2. then completely disregaurd the top scientist of the world, obvious visual weather changes, and make statements like its unusally warm out.
3. If the us did do that what would that say about trusting them, and if they cared that much about their people who were of no use then how much do they care about you , and who do they care about.
4. big difference between a "consiracy theorist" and a credible nobel prize winning scientists.
5. why doesnt anyone give credit to al gore, what does he have to gain by encouraging slobs to be less wasteful.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
there are studies by the smartest people in the world dating back 650 million years. the weathere were seiing now is nothing lika anything the earth has experienced, man is responsible for co2 how does evertone say "man its warm its freaky but i love it" and on the other hand not recognise a change for the worse..........
You dont really know that though - a few hundred million years ago, there was so much CO2 and pollution in the air from natural causes (volcanic eruptions,etc), that 95% of the planet turned into a desert and it wiped out nearly all the large life forms on the planet. That was before the dinosaurs, when reptiles ruled the planet (the time of the Scutosaurus).

So yeah, man might be making CO2 now, and the Earth might be changing. But so what? The Earth never stays the same. It might be to the detriment of our own species but that's no one's fault but mankind's. The Earth is gonna be fine - it always will be until its hit by a meteor the size of Mexico or its swallowed up by the Sun.

BV

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
why doesnt anyone give credit to al gore, what does he have to gain by encouraging slobs to be less wasteful.
I actually give Al Gore a lot of credit for what he's doing. Im all for protecting the environment, and I do whatever I can within my means to support those efforts. However - Ill tell you right now, historically, humans dont do anything about impending doom until its too late. So, Im just going to enjoy this warm weather until I can ride my Wooly Rhino into the sunset. :)

BV

Mass_69

Mass_69

Awards
  • Established
1. I love how some people read this trash and believe it.
2. then completely disregaurd the top scientist of the world, obvious visual weather changes, and make statements like its unusally warm out.
3. If the us did do that what would that say about trusting them, and if they cared that much about their people who were of no use then how much do they care about you , and who do they care about.
4. big difference between a "consiracy theorist" and a credible nobel prize winning scientists.
5. why doesnt anyone give credit to al gore, what does he have to gain by encouraging slobs to be less wasteful.
I hope you weren't implying this to me, because I never at any point said that any of this was fact, or that I believed it. Simply made a statement that I had read this.

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
Here's an interesting article concerning global warming and politics:

Climate of Fear
Global-warming alarmists intimidate dissenting scientists into silence.

BY RICHARD LINDZEN
Wednesday, April 12, 2006 12:01 a.m. EDT
(Mr. Lindzen is Alfred P. Sloan Professor of Atmospheric Science at MIT)

There have been repeated claims that this past year's hurricane activity was another sign of human-induced climate change. Everything from the heat wave in Paris to heavy snows in Buffalo has been blamed on people burning gasoline to fuel their cars, and coal and natural gas to heat, cool and electrify their homes. Yet how can a barely discernible, one-degree increase in the recorded global mean temperature since the late 19th century possibly gain public acceptance as the source of recent weather catastrophes? And how can it translate into unlikely claims about future catastrophes?

The answer has much to do with misunderstanding the science of climate, plus a willingness to debase climate science into a triangle of alarmism. Ambiguous scientific statements about climate are hyped by those with a vested interest in alarm, thus raising the political stakes for policy makers who provide funds for more science research to feed more alarm to increase the political stakes. After all, who puts money into science--whether for AIDS, or space, or climate--where there is nothing really alarming? Indeed, the success of climate alarmism can be counted in the increased federal spending on climate research from a few hundred million dollars pre-1990 to $1.7 billion today. It can also be seen in heightened spending on solar, wind, hydrogen, ethanol and clean coal technologies, as well as on other energy-investment decisions.

But there is a more sinister side to this feeding frenzy. Scientists who dissent from the alarmism have seen their grant funds disappear, their work derided, and themselves libeled as industry stooges, scientific hacks or worse. Consequently, lies about climate change gain credence even when they fly in the face of the science that supposedly is their basis.

More...

OpinionJournal - Extra

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
That's a good article, but its biased too. I really dont think anyone knows for sure what's going on. Who knows, maybe the sun just started putting out a little extra heat...

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
I hope you weren't implying this to me, because I never at any point said that any of this was fact, or that I believed it. Simply made a statement that I had read this.
Nope not you unless you say you believe it. not the acccusatory type, just trying to understand the logic of people who eat force fed garbage but deny fact.

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
Why keep pumping out garbage at exponential rates just cause it might not be a problem. I am going to personally do my part to try to clean my act and i hope all the " anti-alarmists" are right... but really what if....... then its a last ditch, economy busting effort, and the skeptics will keep talking all the while indicating its all goona be alright.

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
I actually give Al Gore a lot of credit for what he's doing. Im all for protecting the environment, and I do whatever I can within my means to support those efforts. However - Ill tell you right now, historically, humans dont do anything about impending doom until its too late. So, Im just going to enjoy this warm weather until I can ride my Wooly Rhino into the sunset. :)

BV
LOL atleast you can laugh about it, maybe i have an anxiety problem bc this really stresses me to have little to no impact on the outcome of my and my childs life.

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
Okay...

but weren't those cloud photos totally cool?

(click on link below)

valuca

-TT

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
When Marduk and Enlil visit on the flaming asteroid of doom, the warming will the the least of your worries.

muahahaaha ahaaaaha ahaa hah

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Yup - totally cool link TT. Reps bro.

I'll never forget seeing Katrina's clouds roll into town as I was driving back in from one of THE stupidest trips you'll ever hear of: we went to Orange Beach, AL that weekend. :run:
And waited until Sunday - day before Kat made landfall - to head back to Louisiana. :wtf:

With 70 mph gusts that Monday - I seriously wondered if my POS apartment was going to make it through it. (The top of my fireplace was ripped off - just vinyl siding though.)

klugman

klugman

Awards
  • Established
If you knew anything (like Algore and I) you'd know that vast herds of Cadillac Escalades used to roam prehistoric earth and it was these vast herds (along with some saber toothed Dodge durangos) that destroyed the ice ages.

Don't believe me? I have a power point presentation to prove it!!!

Aeternitatis

Aeternitatis

Awards
  • Established
It most certianly is global warming, you don't have to be Dem or Rep to be able to look at the facts and look out the window. Or maybe take look at pictures of glaciers that have been around for thousands of years that have, over just the last 3 decades or so, massively receded.

Up here in the pacific northwest the weather has been unlike anything I've experienced in my 22 years of life. My elders would agree as well. I wish I could comfortably say that it is only El Nino, but we've been using that excuse since the mid nineties. El Nino doesn't get progressively stronger every year.

As for more snow in the rockies, that's exactly what you would expect from global warming actually. Because of teh location of many inland areas, the weather will be more extreme. Deep freezing for one half of the year, and scorching for the other half. In places similar to where I am, the environment can be expected to turn from temerpate to tropical... which may sound nice, but I personally prefer a temperate region.

b unit

b unit

Awards
  • Established

BV
global warming:frustrate

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
It most certianly is global warming, you don't have to be Dem or Rep to be able to look at the facts and look out the window. Or maybe take look at pictures of glaciers that have been around for thousands of years that have, over just the last 3 decades or so, massively receded.

Up here in the pacific northwest the weather has been unlike anything I've experienced in my 22 years of life. My elders would agree as well. I wish I could comfortably say that it is only El Nino, but we've been using that excuse since the mid nineties. El Nino doesn't get progressively stronger every year.

As for more snow in the rockies, that's exactly what you would expect from global warming actually. Because of teh location of many inland areas, the weather will be more extreme. Deep freezing for one half of the year, and scorching for the other half. In places similar to where I am, the environment can be expected to turn from temerpate to tropical... which may sound nice, but I personally prefer a temperate region.
My sentiments exactly, and if it comes from channel 5, al gore, my own eyes, my neighbor to me all credible sources until proven otherwise. I take in information and decided on my own if its credible, heresay or out to benefit someone. Now normal is a word with large parameters but this is not normal to me and naming it el nino or el guapo or dirty sanchez doesnt change the validity of the facts. When somone devotes a lifetime of knowledge, spends the time in the field cruching the numbers and seeing the changes then dutifully and honestly reports their unbiased findings we need to take heed. alas censorship occurs by those with no apropriate knowledge quick to make uneducated assumptions and spread missinformation. why is it a sin to say anabolic steroids cause organ growth, and a pot belly (which is false) but ligitimate to say global warming is not an issue and its "probably normal" or "independant of mans influence" void of any factual armament or simply because it does noone any good to pread missinformation opinion or not the info is ou there weather (pun intended) in the air, on paper or in the minds of the educated. Its also common for some to say "oh well a comet will hit us then that'll be the concern. Does the probability of a legitamte albeit irrelevant concern outweigh an actual present time concern. I could say why workout because ill get fat when i age, like somehow the possibility of a million things ending life presents us with no accountability to the things we can change. i will continue to pollute b/c we COULD all spontaneously explode. not trying to target anyone, ive had this exact conversation a few times and the asteroid thing comes up alot. Antoher fav is well ill be dead before anyhing happens so i dont care, like screw the only life sustaining planet we know of b/c i dont wanna make minute insignificant changes, or take the time to back up my opinions with fact.