Lawsuit seeks to ban Oreo Cookies...

S

Sheesh

Awards
  • Established
When are these ridiculous lawsuits going to end??

MSNBC NEWS SERVICES

SAN FRANCISCO, May 13 — A lawyer who says he has spent much of his life enjoying Oreo cookies has sued Kraft Foods Inc., seeking to ban the much-loved cookies in California because they contain trans fat, an ingredient he says is inedible and dangerous.

KRAFT SAYS THAT people have eaten 450 billion Oreo cookies since they introduced the chocolate wafer sandwich cookies with a creamy filling in 1912.
But if attorney Stephen Joseph has his way, that culinary love affair will come to an end, at least until Kraft stops using hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oils to make the cookies.
Kraft calls the suit filed in Marin County Superior Court just north of San Francisco baseless but Joseph says he is taking advantage of a provision of the California civil code that holds manufacturers liable for common products if not
“known to be unsafe by the ordinary consumer.”

COMMONPLACE INGREDIENT
Trans fat is used in thousands and thousands of products. In an interview on Monday, Joseph said, “I am probably full of hydrogenated fat because until two years ago I didn’t know about it. I resent the fact that I have been eating that stuff all my life.”
Hydrogenation adds hydrogen gas to vegetable oil, helping to solidify it into products such as margarine. Health experts say the process makes them as unhealthy as real butter, if not more so, as the hydrogenated fats act like cholesterol in the body. Trans fats are common in cookies and crackers and part of both the cookie and filling in Oreos.
“That’s what’s so shocking; that it has been so well hidden,” said Joseph, who has set up an advocacy group called BanTransFats.com Inc. “I hope if nothing else comes of this lawsuit that more people know about trans fat than before.”
Last, summer the National Academy of Sciences’ Institute of Medicine said trans fat should not be consumed at all because it is directly associated with heart disease and “bad” cholesterol.

KRAFT TO FIGHT SUIT
Kraft says it is already testing alternatives to trans fats but said it intends to vigorously fight the lawsuit.
Its parent company Altria Group Inc. is also the owner of cigarette maker Philip Morris USA, itself no stranger to legal battles over product safety.
“We know the importance of good nutrition and we are committed to helping people lead a healthy lifestyle, but we have no choice than to draw the line against baseless lawsuits like this,” Michael Mudd, a Kraft spokesman, said in an interview.
“We’ve been ... exploring ways to reduce trans fat in Oreos and those efforts are continuing,” he continued. “You can make a cookie without trans fat but what you’re trading off is the unique taste and texture that people have come to expect.”
U.S. companies, the world masters in processed foods, are showing an awareness of trans fats. Frito-Lay, part of PepsiCo Inc., announced last year it would eliminate trans fats from snacks such as Doritos. McDonald’s Corp. also said it would make French fries with less trans fat.
In February, a federal court threw out a lawsuit against McDonald’s that claimed its burgers and fries cause obesity.
The commissioner for the U.S. Food and Drug Administration has said the agency will soon require labeling information about trans fats in foods.

The Associated Press and Reuters contributed to this report.
http://www.msnbc.com/news/912868.asp

B

Bone

Awards
What the hell is the world coming to?? If they contain trans fat DONT EAT THEM!!! :rolleyes: C'mon do we have to babysit everybody??!!

Peace

Bone

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
$$$$$ that's all the world cares about nowa days. it's a shame

S

Sheesh

Awards
  • Established
Screw trans fat, i'll eat some oreos anyway come carb-load day.... :cool:

I

ironviking

The Axe Man Cometh!!
Awards
  • Established
these types of things make my brain hurt
whatever happened to taking responsibilty for your own actions, if you dont know what your eating maybe you shouldn't be eating it

right now I am imagining eating oreos with Sheesh's avatar (it is a happy place filled with hydrogenated stuff)

S

Sheesh

Awards
  • Established
right now I am imagining eating oreos with Sheesh's avatar (it is a happy place filled with hydrogenated stuff)
ROFL...that is a happy place dude...Pam Anderson and Oreos...add in some whole milk and you're set for life...:D

V

Vman

Awards
If people can do stuff like that, I wonder if I can file a lawsuit against the DMV for being so slow....We live in a state which runs off of lawsuits....Sad very Sad!

Vman

M

msclbldrguy

Awards
  • Established
unbelievable...just unbelievable....so what if they contain trans fats...big deal...a few oreos every once in awhile isnt gonna hurt anybody. we all prolly had our share of oreos growin up...and what kid of any age doesnt seperate the wafers and eat the fillin first????

i think this guy jus wants attention and to maybe get some $$ from a successful company.....i hope they toast his ass in court.

pretty soon there wont be anything left because somebody gets his head up his ass and sues because a product is......or contains whatever....

S

Scottyo

Awards
  • Established
Actually in some ways this might be a good thing. You see there is going to be 1 of 2 alternatives to this feeding frenzy. A, fast food and junk food will be regulated and then the Fat Asses will lose some of their jiggle and become a bit healthier and more "appealing to the eye". With this the 93 BILLION dollars we spend annually on obese people will drop, thus less out of our pockets.
or B, people realize that the government regulating EVERY LITTLE THING in their lives might not be the best solution, and just because something CAN be harmful, doesn't mean it alwasy is. Might lead to less regulation (or at least defer the current legislation) on supplements, steroids etc. Hell, I personally see no difference between MCd's french fries and cigarrettes. If you are going to crusade against one, better do it towards the other.

M

msclbldrguy

Awards
  • Established
Actually in some ways this might be a good thing. You see there is going to be 1 of 2 alternatives to this feeding frenzy. A, fast food and junk food will be regulated and then the Fat Asses will lose some of their jiggle and become a bit healthier and more "appealing to the eye". With this the 93 BILLION dollars we spend annually on obese people will drop, thus less out of our pockets.
or B, people realize that the government regulating EVERY LITTLE THING in their lives might not be the best solution, and just because something CAN be harmful, doesn't mean it alwasy is. Might lead to less regulation (or at least defer the current legislation) on supplements, steroids etc. Hell, I personally see no difference between MCd's french fries and cigarrettes. If you are going to crusade against one, better do it towards the other.
well, i do and dont agree. on the first possibility...i really doubt that would happen. people who have whatever kind of vice will find a way to do it until they decide within themselves to change. no amount of govt regulation will change that....

i think the second possibility is more likely. i should be able to decide for myself whether i'm willing to accept the potential sides/consequences of using something...but i think enuf regs are necessary to make sure i'm gettin what i'm payin for. if i'm not responsible enuf to do my homework (thinking mostly about things such as aas, ph's, etc. but principle is true about alot of things) then its no one's fault but my own.

i agree with ya on the fries and cigs....cant stand fried foods anymore....they literally make me sick to my stomach.

S

Scottyo

Awards
  • Established
Like I said...I would prefer choice B (and think it is more likely). Less regulation the better...(as long as product quality is up to par regardless of product). Hell, I dont smoke, and am allergic to smoke, but still think what has been done to cigarette smokers in NY and MA is ridiculous.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
**** like this makes me hate lawyers even though I know some decent people who happen to be lawyers. We should not be out there babysitting every fat ass, it's not fair to take food items away from those who are healthy and eat responsibly because some doughboys get addicted to junk food. Sorry had to vent at my frustration with frivolous lawsuits

M

msclbldrguy

Awards
  • Established
Like I said...I would prefer choice B (and think it is more likely). Less regulation the better...(as long as product quality is up to par regardless of product). Hell, I dont smoke, and am allergic to smoke, but still think what has been done to cigarette smokers in NY and MA is ridiculous.
what happened to smokers in ny and ma? i'm not allergic to cig smoke but cant stand the smell....and it gets into everything...hair...clothes...nasty. my mom smoked and i'm convinced she'd still be alive if it werent for that.....

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yeah, and I cant stand the sound of Britney Spears - it gets into my ears and into my brain, eating away my intelligence - I dont think I should have to be subjected to it...BAN BRITNEY

S

Scottyo

Awards
  • Established
Exactly my point....

what happened to smokers in ny and ma?
In NYC and Boston (at least) it is prett much illegal to smoke anywhere these days. No longer in clubs, bars, anywhere inside. Just another example of governmental control over our lives and the segregating of one group from the rest of society. What are you going to do if they only allow you to eat 3 meals a day? Sounds ridiculous and it is...but the more the gov regulates the more it fucks with people.

S

Sheesh

Awards
  • Established
Nor, I believe, does Homer mention sweet desserts anywhere. Indeed, aren't even the other athletes aware that, if one's body is to be sound, one must keep away all such things...
Screw you Socrates! And your god damn Socratic method too!

:D

Supa Freek 420

Supa Freek 420

E-BOLLER
Awards
  • Established

In NYC and Boston (at least) it is prett much illegal to smoke anywhere these days. No longer in clubs, bars, anywhere inside. Just another example of governmental control over our lives and the segregating of one group from the rest of society. What are you going to do if they only allow you to eat 3 meals a day? Sounds ridiculous and it is...but the more the gov regulates the more it fucks with people.
It's like that in cali as well. :mad:

S

Scottyo

Awards
  • Established

Screw you Socrates! And your god damn Socratic method too!

:D
What?? You don't like :D...we think that modern science has progressed so far. The Greeks knew what would make them fat and slothy and what would keep them in prime athletic shape. Hell, even philosophy understands the importance of a prime physique as essential to the just man.

S

Sheesh

Awards
  • Established
...but I like sweet deserts....;)

It's still remarkable that he was able to link sweet deserts and obesity. The first low-carb guru?? Bobo would be proud... :p

M

msclbldrguy

Awards
  • Established
Exactly my point....

its similar here in tn...any store. office, theater....there's designated smoking areas. restaurants have non-smoking areas tho....i like to get as far away from that area as i can...i hate enjoyin a good meal and then havin to smell someone else's smoke. ruins the whole thing.

D

Draven

Awards
  • Established
It's kind of the same here in Toronto. Anywhere a kid can go is no smoking. So if a restaurant allows kids it's no smoking, a bar is still ok but that's about it. A bar or outside. God I'm glad I quite before all this nonsense started. I smoked for 10 years and I'd probably be pissed if I had to stand outside freezing my ass off every time I wanted a smoke.

S

Scottyo

Awards
  • Established
...but I like sweet deserts....;)

It's still remarkable that he was able to link sweet deserts and obesity. The first low-carb guru?? Bobo would be proud... :p

Actually through my dual interests in history and bodybuilding (philosophy too_ I have read a lot of casual references to the development of "white bread" for the upper classes and the subsequent weight accumulation. Nothing ever outright talking about that, but little unintentional references.

It's kind of the same here in Toronto. Anywhere a kid can go is no smoking. So if a restaurant allows kids it's no smoking, a bar is still ok but that's about it. A bar or outside. God I'm glad I quite before all this nonsense started. I smoked for 10 years and I'd probably be pissed if I had to stand outside freezing my ass off every time I wanted a smoke.
Ya even though I can't stand smoking personally I hate it that they so obviously discriminate against smokers, as well as try to make the cigarette companies out to be the GREAT SATAN, while the gov hides behind the criminal FDA and other **** organizations.

Lifeguard

Lifeguard

Awards
  • Established
uh oh...

Not my Oreo's!!!! :eek:

They have trans fatty acids in them!!! Well...it looks like we gotta try and ban not only Oreo's but also Margerine, "I Cant believe its not Butter", "Pam" cooking spray, potato chips (fried), wheat thins (also a product of Nobisco (sp??)).... the list goes on and on. Blah, blah, blah...

Instead of suing the company (and ruining a really good assed snack ;) ) why does the lawer just take responsibilty for his own actions and not eat them?

What a dumb, ****-eating, irresponsible, selfish, cock sucking (he does live in San Francisco, the homosexual capitol of California ;) ), inbred, pointless, useless thing to do and say.