300 <----Looks Sick!

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Its about........In the Battle of Thermopylae of 480 BC an alliance of Greek city-states fought the invading Persian army in the mountain pass, Thermopylae. Vastly outnumbered, the Greeks held back the enemy in one of the most famous last stands of history. A small force led by king Leonidas of Sparta blocked the only road through which the massive army of Xerxes I could pass. After several days of confrontation the Persians attacked but were defeated by heavy losses, disproportionate to those of the Greeks. This continued on the second day but on the third day of the battle a local resident named Ephialtes betrayed the Greeks, revealing a mountain path that led behind the Greek lines. With the rest of the army dismissed, King Leonidas stayed behind with his bodyguard of 300 Spartans and the 700 man Thespian army even though they knew it meant their deaths, to allow the rest of the army to escape.

The disproportionate losses of the Persian army alarmed Xerxes so that when his navy was later defeated at Salamis he fled Greece leaving only part of his force to finish the job of the conquest of Greece, which was defeated at the Battle of Plataea. The performance of the defenders at the battle of Thermopylae is often used as an example of the advantages of training, equipment and good use of terrain to maximise an army's potential, as well as a symbol of courage against extremely overwhelming odds. The heroic sacrifice of the Spartans and the Thespians has captured the minds of many throughout the ages and has given birth to many cultural references as a result.

I think Frank Miller (sin city) worked on this film.

Rage (SoCal)

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
It most certainly does. I'll definetely see this one in the theatres.

ECTOmorph

ECTOmorph

Awards
  • Established
fukcin a i love history movies

troy
gladiator
last of the mohicans
patriot
ect

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
makes gladiator troy and lord of the rings look pathetic. THis guy should have made lord of the rings too, the battles would have been alot better.

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
The story of Thermopylae is one of the most inspiring in all of history to me. What the Spartans and their Thespian allies did in making their last stand was in essence to save western civilization. They gave the other Greek city-states time to regroup and eventually drive the Persians out.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
The Spartans were some crazy mean mofo's. It was a cold society to a great extent, but they were not the people to be messing with. Mothers would tell their sons to, "Come back from battle with your shield held high..or carried on it."

In other words, come back a winner or come back dead. Gee, thanks for the support, Mom!

Skye

Skye

Awards
  • Established
you guys do remember that most of the men were homosexual right? (not being judgemental here but that trailer was somewhat missleading) and that they also practiced inficide on a regular bases? They were some of the toughest people that ever lived but they were also some of the most F up people of all time as well.

Oh yah, they whipped there children on a regular schedule to harden them up for war.

And the battles were not realistic (even for a movie). the style of warfare at the time involed using shield walls and such.

The cinamatics looked very cool though

fbxdan

fbxdan

Awards
  • Established
you guys do remember that most of the men were homosexual right? (not being judgemental here but that trailer was somewhat missleading) and that they also practiced inficide on a regular bases? They were some of the toughest people that ever lived but they were also some of the most F up people of all time as well.

Oh yah, they whipped there children on a regular schedule to harden them up for war.

And the battles were not realistic (even for a movie). the style of warfare at the time involed using shield walls and such.

There is no archaeological evidence that homosexuality was widespread in Spartan society. Most modern historians will tell you that is a myth.

ECTOmorph

ECTOmorph

Awards
  • Established

its not true than most greeks city-states practiced and/or accepted homosexuality

sparta and athens did not...i think thebes actually accepted it though

Skye

Skye

Awards
  • Established
There is no archaeological evidence that homosexuality was widespread in Spartan society. Most modern historians will tell you that is a myth.
actually I think there was some, it comes largely from the way they viewed woman, pretty much useless except for child baring and even then they didn't get to keep the kids long, hell even the men had to live in barricks until they were 30 or something.

but then again last time I had a history class was in 95 so I should look into it again.

Also I forgot to mention that their major purpose in life was to keep the helots in slavery. Anyway you look at it, including by the standards that the other greeks used at the time they were pretty messed up

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It was also prevalent in Roman society as well.

Still, the battle of Thermopylae is a great tale of courage and honor. I liked how The Last Samurai was kind of an homage to this battle (they mention towards the final battle). It is amazing how warfare has changed and that very few people know about this occurence in history.

Big Matt

Big Matt

All The Whey Nutrition
Awards
  • Established
The trailer was awesome! Frank Miller got an Icon award last night for his previous work and this movie looks like it's going to kick ass too.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
bumping.....check it out!!! Im telling all my friends about it too. Just hope that it comes out great as the movie still probably has alot more work to be done. I have high hopes tho'.

Big Matt

Big Matt

All The Whey Nutrition
Awards
  • Established
Just found out that it doesn't come out until March of 2007!

I'm itchy to see it now! It's gonna suck to wait that long but I know it will be worth it!

When I saw the trailer I went :jaw: !!

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
One should not necessarily confuse homosexuality with the practice of "mentoring" young boys that was very widespread in the ancient world.

Essentially, ranking men would take a young boy as a squire, train him for battle, and yes, have sex with him at will. In this social system, the young boy was always the "bottom" and an older man with social rank would not settle for being anything other than a "top". This differs from basic homosexuality because it was likely not consensual and it was just essentially sanctioned pedophilia with a heavy emphasis on power and control.

Certainly, homosexuals existed back then and have been in and out of favor a million times, but too often people merge this with pedophiliac mentoring that was the social norm for many societies and there are more than a few theologians who think that Christ was referring to this practice as "abomination" rather than basic homosexuality.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yah its basically to show how has control. I read that in this movie the spartans come off as somewhat homophobic which defeats what we think about them.

I was going to buy the hardback comic novel by Frank Miller on Amazon today.

brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established
hehe-
"our arrows will block out the sun,"
"then we will be fighting in the shade."

brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established
there was one thing i noticed thoiugh, that the main guy was the guy from from reign of fire, quin's friend. Last i remem. he was skinny as hell so it looked as if he pulled a matt mconohey and beefed up a lil'

size

Awards
  • Established
While I think this is a quite the historical story, to me the movie looks to cartoonish and/or graphically enhanced..

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I think that's the point actually. It was based on a graphic novel so I think they are trying to impart some of the comic-like art to it.

If it's done well, I can roll with it.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
yeah its based on frank milllers graphic novel. so its not entirely accurate. Its not a historical account or what not. More or less just the story of the Battle of Thermopylae with a bit of fantasy imagination.

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
yeah its based on frank milllers graphic novel. so its not entirely accurate. Its not a historical account or what not. More or less just the story of the Battle of Thermopylae with a bit of fantasy imagination.
And remember that we only know of the Battle of Thermopylae from the accounts of the messengers dispatched before the end (one of whom killed himself in shame for not having stayed to die with his comrades) and the Persians. Ancient history is always a mix of fact, embellishment and wishful thinking.

brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established
idont knowif its the music or what bu ti cant stop watching it lol

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
idont knowif its the music or what bu ti cant stop watching it lol
lol haha i know, me 2. I wish i could find a longer trailer tho. That hunchback freak looking dude i believe is Ephialtes, the guy who betrays the greeks. I seriously cant wait but guess i have to.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I know, I've had that NIN music stuck in my head all damn day. Makes me want to see it real bad. lol

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Yep, that was definitely NIN..I think a repeated loop off their fragile CD.

Someone will know, lol.

ispymalik

Awards
i belive the movie is actuall based on "gates of fire" wich is also based on the battle of thermoplye
but the book was awsome, esp when they finally revile why only 300 went and how they chose the 300.

and ofcoarse the movie deviates from the book, becuse when he said we will have our battle in the shade he wasnt talking to an enemy. he was talking to a friend.

p.s. go read the book... A+++

ECTOmorph

ECTOmorph

Awards
  • Established
no this is based off of frank millers graphic novel

i think sean connery or someone already bought the right to "gates of fire" but because this was already in production t he decided to not continue on it

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
bumping this up since i have seen previews in the theatre maybe people have more to discuss? if not well take a look!

peyton

Awards
i cant wait for this movie the trailer gets me soo pumped

brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established
just watched some trailers about the makin and such on their myspace page. I will have to say its going to be very interesting

Rodthrower18

Awards
So long as everyone keeps in mind that its not going to be historically accurate I think it'll prove to be a badass movie.

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Gates of Fire would've been a better movie, as the book is well written and historically more accurate. Either way, it's a story worth telling.

BTW, warfare has NOT changed much. Many tactics used today were invented and perfected by the Greeks and Romans, and I'd venture that they were more proficient as warriors than soldiers today. Spartans trained for 12-13 years to be soldiers, before ever fighting a battle, as opposed to mere months of training here. They understood the psychology of war, and applied it, better than modern militaries. Take away our toys, and they'd have it all over most modern soldiers, I'd bet.

Molon Labe!

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
So long as everyone keeps in mind that its not going to be historically accurate I think it'll prove to be a badass movie.
No doubt.

BTW, warfare has NOT changed much. Many tactics used today were invented and perfected by the Greeks and Romans, and I'd venture that they were more proficient as warriors than soldiers today. Spartans trained for 12-13 years to be soldiers, before ever fighting a battle, as opposed to mere months of training here. They understood the psychology of war, and applied it, better than modern militaries. Take away our toys, and they'd have it all over most modern soldiers, I'd bet.
Of course the soldiers wouldn't do as well. You couldn't make a comparison like that. The mentality, and the physical aspect of soldiers were/are completely different. Tactics varied greatly by culture though. A big tactic was throw numbers at the enemy and the ones with the most wins. Although it's a much more recent example just look at the civil war and how it was fought. Smart thinking and tactics were rare.

Rodthrower18

Awards
No doubt.

Of course the soldiers wouldn't do as well. You couldn't make a comparison like that. The mentality, and the physical aspect of soldiers were/are completely different. Tactics varied greatly by culture though. A big tactic was throw numbers at the enemy and the ones with the most wins. Although it's a much more recent example just look at the civil war and how it was fought. Smart thinking and tactics were rare.

Very true, they would send wave after wave of troops marching in stiff barely mobile collums only to have them mowed down. Poison also brings up another good point lot of military tactics that we use today are hundreds of yrs olf some stretching back to xxxB.C. like lengthening an enemy's supply line, cutting them off from said supply line, killing lieutenants and generals, etc. The Art of War is still a worthwhile read.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yes it is. I'll tell ya though, I live near the civil war battlefields like anteidam etc and the history is just amazing. Just to read some of the events while looking at the area it happened it puts a lot of what happened into perspective. It'll leave you in awe.

brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established
Very true, they would send wave after wave of troops marching in stiff barely mobile collums only to have them mowed down. Poison also brings up another good point lot of military tactics that we use today are hundreds of yrs olf some stretching back to xxxB.C. like lengthening an enemy's supply line, cutting them off from said supply line, killing lieutenants and generals, etc. The Art of War is still a worthwhile read.
sun tzus art of war is read by many many generals of war and is discussed vividly in many us military schools, as well as used all over the world. It is said both rommel and patton as well as many german generals of ww2 read it constantly, as their tremondous efforts of war show that. lol too bad hitler didnt read much of it, lol he just had to fuk it up:fool2:

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
That looks amazing. Can't wait. The Greeks and the Romans have always interested me a lot.

The song is "Just Like You Imagined" from Fragile by NIN. Great album. Takes a little time to digest, though.

PhoebeusFenix

Awards
THis is going to be a amazing movie, just by looking at the trailers, it is filmed in a style I enjoy....cant wait.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
lol too bad hitler didnt read much of it, lol he just had to fuk it up
Are you saying it would of been better off if he had a better understanding of military strategy?

One of Hitlers biggest military problems were that no one below officer rank ever had any knowledge of plans/tactics so if they were taken out it was like chopping the head off of the snake.
*there were of course other mistakes that cost him the war*

jarhead

jarhead

Awards
  • Established
I think that's the point actually. It was based on a graphic novel so I think they are trying to impart some of the comic-like art to it.

If it's done well, I can roll with it.
Yeah, I have the graphic novel and some of the scenes in the trailer are directly from the book. Just like Sin City was damn near frame for frame outta the book, which is a great thing. The movie even resembles the artwork from the book in color/style. I've been a huge Miller fan for years- they need to make " The Dark Knight Returns" in his style.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah, I have the graphic novel and some of the scenes in the trailer are directly from the book. Just like Sin City was damn near frame for frame outta the book, which is a great thing. The movie even resembles the artwork from the book in color/style. I've been a huge Miller fan for years- they need to make " The Dark Knight Returns" in his style.
i was going to pick up the graphic novel on amazon, the hardcover one, would i enjoy it? Maybe i could read it before the movie comes out.

MARCH 9TH BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BE READY!:gas:

jarhead

jarhead

Awards
  • Established
i was going to pick up the graphic novel on amazon, the hardcover one, would i enjoy it? Maybe i could read it before the movie comes out.

MARCH 9TH BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BE READY!:gas:
Yeah it's definitely worth picking up.

brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established
Are you saying it would of been better off if he had a better understanding of military strategy?

One of Hitlers biggest military problems were that no one below officer rank ever had any knowledge of plans/tactics so if they were taken out it was like chopping the head off of the snake.
*there were of course other mistakes that cost him the war*
agreed, to an extend. Problem wit Hitler was genuis at the economics of his country, bringing a country from a depression to a world power paralleling the U.S. at the time. But when it came to the military, he knew only what he accomplished as a grunt in the first world war, basically how to shoot lol. If half of hiters genrals, including rommel ran the war their 'own' way the outcome may have been different, but Hitler wanted thinigs ran his way, and allowed his personel interest to become intangled in national threats. This obviuosly can turn into a long post as u relize lol, but im tired and am goin to bad lol. But anyway, ** maybe another debate, or 'discussion" since me and you are one the same page,... for another day.