Looking into training for MMA.

xxtruxx1

xxtruxx1

Awards
  • Established
For those of you who know about MMA & professional fighting, I'm looking for some advice. I want to be a well-rounded fighter. I would prefer to be slightly better on the floor than stand up fighting as far as submissions & grappling go. I am wondering what would be the best approach for this? I am thinking that definitely a Ju Jitsu background would keep me covered on the ground. All those arm bars, chokes, submissions, etc will be great for ground work. I am thinking Mauy Thai for stand up? A buddy of mine suggested mixed martial arts, but I don't feel it'll give me the tools I need to succeed. Anyways, I wanted to get your opinions on what forms of the arts to pursue in order to be most successful.

Oh & if anyone knows of a studio here in the Gainesville, FL area, feel free to mention.

warriorway

warriorway

Awards
  • Established
I think to really be good you might have to find an mma gym. Granted muay thai and ju jitsu are great, they might not totally prepare you. My suggestion go to some local fights try to meet some of the coaches or teams and take it from there.

CallmeClark

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, find a solid MMA gym. That's the best way. You'll pay way too much to train in each individual form. And, you'll waste time.

bulls**t

bulls**t

Awards
  • Established
From someone that boxed, then did MT, then BJJ, then straight up MMA, I can tell you that these guys are right, and go right to the MMA gym.

Good luck and keep your hands up.

xxtruxx1

xxtruxx1

Awards
  • Established
Awesome. Thanks for the advice guys. Now I have to find an MMA gym in this small ass town lol.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If you can't find an MMA gym, then focus on the area that you want to succeed at the mos, which is grappling. Not only focus on BJJ, but also on judo and wrestling. After you form your case and other options are available, then seek out stand-up training.

Also, try to train in as many gyms as you can. The more expsure you have to others styles helps you in many ways in addition to making connections and commeradery.